Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

I would deeply enjoy an Armored Core stat breakdown page for each weapon and strategem, honestly.

.Z. posted:

I hope they update things so patrol spawns can't be within a minimum distance of players. That multiple groups = multiple spawns thing is annoying when people are still close enough together because it will cause patrols to spawn right on top of you.

I've only experienced a squad popping right on top of me once, as host, but it was annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Quill posted:

Just started blasting this two days ago. Game good.

Where do I find the chargers for the daily challenge?

any terminids mission above I wanna say d3 or the low level kill charger specific mission

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Triarii posted:

Another thing that generally drives me nuts even though it's not a bug is my guy insisting on climbing onto everything while I'm running around, which of course interrupts reloading. Like yeah dude, smart idea to clamber onto that barrel and then up on top of that chain link fence while I'm trying to sprint away from rocket devastators, that's definitely what I wanted to do.
Helldivers are like cats, they gotta clamber up on every resupply pod! But yeah I dunno why sprinting auto-climbs even though there's also a separate dedicated climb button.

Section Z posted:

Me and another guy bringing gas to the mission with this idea was a resounding "Wow, gas is useless?" when we started dropping them on spots prone to spam breaches on that exact location over and over. (maybe it popped the smallest baby bugs, but when mowing through dozens of mediums plus chargers praying you don't shoot the silo, who could even notice)
Gas needs a moment to cook so bugs that immediately move out of it will often survive, therefore it's better to combine it with EMS or to throw it in a really busy chokepoint. Not sure if the objective towers take damage from it but if they don't then gassing the base of them would be good too.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

Notes/Rules:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

3) Desire for this gang tag was way higher than I expected. If your only post in this thread is asking for the gang tag I am probably not going to queue one for free, apologies. I queue these up but admins still have to sign off on em and we're apparently discouraged from handing them out like candy :v:

Is it too late to get one.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Fenrir III has been liberated! Move on to other barrier planets, Helldivers!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Napalm, unlike gas, lights things on fire and they continue to burn. Both are made better by liberal application of EMS strikes and mortars, but the persistence of napalm makes it a clear win in my eyes.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

My friends have an unhealthy addiction to the incendiary shotgun and I'm going to start going commissar on the back of their heads if they keep clipping me with BURNING DOOM.

That said, I want more chemical warfare options. Surprised there is only the one, currently.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sindai posted:

Someone did a lot of interesting research on what influences how frequently patrols spawn:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bdudf3/lets_talk_about_patrols_an_in_depth_analysis_of/

Notably, both loading screen tips about it seem to be lies: mission time has no influence, and destroying outposts slightly increases global spawn rate, but greatly reduces spawn rate near where the outpost was.

Completing all primary objectives massively increases it, and being near the evac point (whether it's possible to evac or not) also massively increases it. Using a reinforce point sometimes massively increases it, but the effect seems very random.

I just read. Great post, here is a TLDR:

The TLDR is:

-Enemy patrols spawn in a timer every x seconds, with a base tick rate of how fast it goes.
-Said amount is affected by both difficulty and number of players. More players, more difficulty, faster tickrate.
-Terminids timer is a bit faster than Bots.
-The patrol go in a straight line from A to B, and it always seem to intersect with a player position at the moment it spawned.
-Some actions in the mission make the timer go even faster. Mainly, getting close to any primary or secondary objective (the area of influence starts at 150mts of distance, up to a maximum bonus at 50mts, if you are inside you are generating extra ‘heat’).
-Also completing any primary objective will make it go faster, this is the biggest factor.
-Destroying Medium or Heavy outposts, beyond 50% of the total amount of Outposts, will also increase the tick rate permanently
-That means that destroying outposts also increase the tick rate of the timer, but at least being in that area will stop generating ‘heat’ passively, because with the Outpost destroyed the area of influence disappears.
-However there is no stacking, if you are close to two objectives, you don’t get the two penalties.
-Being in the extraction point area increase strongly (50%) the tickrate, without even needing to call the ship.
-All this applies for any player group by separate, where a player group is a set of 1-4 players at 75 mts or less. Players at more distance have their own patrol spawn timer.
-If you are getting a Breach, and the game timer says you also should get a new patrol to spawn, it can delay the patrol by some amount if it was going to appear close to you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Droxis posted:

My friends have an unhealthy addiction to the incendiary shotgun and I'm going to start going commissar on the back of their heads if they keep clipping me with BURNING DOOM.

That said, I want more chemical warfare options. Surprised there is only the one, currently.

Same tbh! Gas gun plz. Grenade launcher rounds per'aps?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Infinitum posted:

Pouring one out to Mode7

You could have prevented this

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Dandywalken posted:

Same tbh! Gas gun plz. Grenade launcher rounds per'aps?

Flamer, but corrosive fart gas/goo. I'm willing this into reality.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I cannot imagine a situation in which the anemic amount of smoke a grenade puts out is useful.

The incendiary grenades are amazing and now my go to.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I just read. Great post, here is a TLDR:

The TLDR is:

-Enemy patrols spawn in a timer every x seconds, with a base tick rate of how fast it goes.
-Said amount is affected by both difficulty and number of players. More players, more difficulty, faster tickrate.
-The patrol go in a straight line from A to B, and it always seem to intersect with a player position at the moment it spawned.
-Some actions in the mission make the timer go even faster. Mainly, getting close to any primary or secondary objective (the area of influence starts at 150mts of distance, up to a maximum bonus at 50mts, if you are inside you are generating extra ‘heat’).
-Also completing any primary objective will make it go faster, this is the biggest factor.
-Destroying Medium or Heavy outposts, beyond 50% of the total amount of Outposts, will also increase the tick rate permanently

-That means that destroying outposts also increase the tick rate of the timer, but at least being in that area will stop generating ‘heat’ passively, because with the Outpost destroyed the area of influence disappears.
-However there is no stacking, if you are close to two objectives, you don’t get the two penalties.
-Being in the extraction point area increase strongly (50%) the tickrate, without even needing to call the ship.
-All this applies for any player group by separate, where a player group is a set of 1-4 players at 75 mts or less. Players at more distance have their own patrol spawn timer.
-If you are getting a Breach, and the game timer says you also should get a new patrol to spawn, it can delay the patrol by some amount if it was going to appear close to you.

The bold means the 'mission time' thing is true-from-a-certain-point-of-view, namely that as the mission time ticks downward, you generally finish more objectives, making the rate of patrols increase.

What this doesn't answer for me is situations where extraction and the walk to extraction are almost completely eventless, with minimal to no patrols encountered even without making effort to avoid them. That suggests either a high level of variance to spawn rates, a general ability to overwhelm spawn rates, or some method of gaming the system such as making lots of noise somewhere far from extraction to lure all the existing patrols away.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tower defense missions are pure chaos and I love them. Went back to using the EAT since Chargers get chumped by them and ended up having more kills than all three of my teammates put together because of the laserdog/slugger/gat turret combo I was also running. Bile Titans are kind of a problem though, I can't seem to kill them very reliably by myself while running Eagle Airstrike and the EAT. I can't tell if I'm just missing their headshot hitbox or if they're actually tanky enough to soak 2-3 EAT headshots

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 13, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Darox posted:

Slugger is one of The Meta Weapons against bots, you're either taking it or a liberator/defender 90% of the time. It's not as good at clearing up lots of regular raiders but it still oneshots them and can do so from long range, but most importantly it staggers devastators on hit. This is incredibly helpful for stopping Heavy Devastators ripping into you. If it didn't stagger them it'd be pretty mid compared to marksman rifles but elite devastators are incredibly common and threatening so it's worth it.

hmm, it's a good point, what to pair it with on bots i wonder?? grenade launcher, laser cannon, stalwart?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

Notes/Rules:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

3) Desire for this gang tag was way higher than I expected. If your only post in this thread is asking for the gang tag I am probably not going to queue one for free, apologies. I queue these up but admins still have to sign off on em and we're apparently discouraged from handing them out like candy :v:

I am ready to deliver freedom.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

facialimpediment posted:

strategem called STEEL RAIN that's just a kamikaze pilot yelling MY LIFE FOR DEMOCRACY as he flies between the legs and crashes into a tree, doing no damage

WAIT. How do we recreate this in Helldivers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzQp3UqMVTs

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
I've been having a lot of luck on TCS missions with eat, emp mortar, shield pack, and arc gun; it's a very robust low downtime setup (don't die)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FunkyFjord posted:

I've only experienced a squad popping right on top of me once, as host, but it was annoying.

I've had it happen several times and not necessarily while as host. No real consistency as to why or how

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 13, 2024

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Yeah, I only rarely see them pop right on top of me, but turning around and there's a patrol fairly close that wasn't there before happens more often.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Musluk posted:

Does it insta disappear like it does against a single rocket devastator?

Not sure if it can tank a full length blast, but if positioned correctly the Bile Titan will just kill itself. (Forgot to add the video in my original post)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6mCIIGXV4w

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Tower defense missions are pure chaos and I love them. Went back to using the EAT since Chargers get chumped by them and ended up having more kills than all three of my teammates put together because of the laserdog/slugger/gat turret combo I was also running. Bile Titans are kind of a problem though, I can't seem to kill them very reliably by myself while running Eagle Airstrike and the EAT. I can't tell if I'm just missing their headshot hitbox or if they're actually tanky enough to soak 2-3 EAT headshots

Do you just have enough huge targets that you don't need a "true" support weapon and can fire off EATs all the time? Right now I'm bringing a grenade launcher or autocannon (I keep trying to decide which I like better) along with EATs and just grab the EAT when big things show up. How do you deal with things like bile spewers?

The other two are Eagle airstrikes and rocket pods which seems nice and versatile.

Also I have no idea how helpful armor actually is but I think I've noticed the extra speed and stamina from light armor letting me reposition a bit better.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

frankly I find the idea of a bug that flies offensive

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Mode 7 posted:

Notes/Rules:

Can I get the tag in place of the corona virus ones I feel those are no longer that relevant.

Did the bug spray missions last night and brought a machine gun to a level 7. It worked well, with 3 people bringing heavy guns but so many hunters could be mowed down. A coordinated Loadout works so much better post-patch. The balance changes are great!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

Do you just have enough huge targets that you don't need a "true" support weapon and can fire off EATs all the time? Right now I'm bringing a grenade launcher or autocannon (I keep trying to decide which I like better) along with EATs and just grab the EAT when big things show up. How do you deal with things like bile spewers?

The other two are Eagle airstrikes and rocket pods which seems nice and versatile.

Also I have no idea how helpful armor actually is but I think I've noticed the extra speed and stamina from light armor letting me reposition a bit better.

A lot of players swear by +2 grenade armor just to have more impact grenades to use on spewers.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A lot of players swear by +2 grenade armor just to have more impact grenades to use on spewers.

Me. I'm a lot of players.

i always bring extra nades with me on bug missions if I'm not rocking the nade launcher or AC. I tend to like the impact grenades but I really struggle using them on the holes.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

I use a similar loadout (EAT / laser dog / eagle napalm / whatever) and run the armor with extra grenades to use on the spitters.

Laser dog takes the small ones, EAT the big ones, and punisher for the medium bugs.

I've been liking the punisher over the slugger just for the handling. I couldn't hit poo poo with the slugger in 3rd person but the pubisher seems fine.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Mode 7 posted:

Notes/Rules:

I want this, for democracy! Please ditch the racoon goons tag

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Phanatic posted:

Fun bug last night. Called down the evac shuttle, but none of us could board it. Just had to keep fighting off bugs until the mission timer counted down at which point the shuttle flew away with none of us in it.

I think this might actually be server backup or something for all the records that are created or updated right when you finish a mission. I've gotten stuck unable to enter, then all the sudden it lets me in which is why I think that might be it.

Sindai posted:

Someone did a lot of interesting research on what influences how frequently patrols spawn:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bdudf3/lets_talk_about_patrols_an_in_depth_analysis_of/

Notably, both loading screen tips about it seem to be lies: mission time has no influence, and destroying outposts slightly increases global spawn rate, but greatly reduces spawn rate near where the outpost was.

Completing all primary objectives massively increases it, and being near the evac point (whether it's possible to evac or not) also massively increases it. Using a reinforce point sometimes massively increases it, but the effect seems very random.

Yeah I could've told you the mission length thing was a lie. I mean just clearly untrue from playing the game. Those other discoveries are pretty interesting but seems far from solved. Enemy variety and numbers is just so drat different from game to game, even on the same planet and doing the same mission with the same number of players. Big time mystery.

It's interesting that splitting up the team increases spawns. Always seemed to me that two man teams were really effective and while one team was heavily engaged the other often wouldn't be and could get on with the objectives.

Overlord K posted:

So now that it's been out for a day, what are people bringing to the termicide missions?

Since we can damage the things with our own turrets I'm not sure which ones are actually worth bringing yet other than mines and teslas.

Autocannon sentries and mechs for the big boys, gatling or tesla and guard dog for the little guys.

But really, I've also taken a totally normal load out and had a fine time on 7.

Saw a YouTube video on diff 8 and somehow over twenty bile titans were spawned in one mission which is pretty nuts.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Where are you guys aiming the EAT to kill the chargers in one shot?

Is it like right where their mouth is?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ya

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:tipshat: to the gangtag braindivers for coming up with the HD2 tag strategem, and :tipshat: to Mode 7 for calling it down

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Above their mouth. When they go to charge, you see their head and whole front plate swing down a little, just hit them smack in the middle of that.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Seems like I get a lot of people abandoning the Terminid tower missions. Why even start if you're gonna bail at the first sign of trouble?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Chargers should get 1 shot anywhere on their head. Just shoot right between their legs you'll either kill it in 1 hit or break the leg armor on a miss and then you can shoot it with primary.

Overlord K posted:

So now that it's been out for a day, what are people bringing to the termicide missions?

Since we can damage the things with our own turrets I'm not sure which ones are actually worth bringing yet other than mines and teslas.

I like mines + mech + variety bonus pick for any level of difficulty. I used that to clear helldive and it was fine. EATs are great or railcannon or something to deal with biles if youre worried 2 mechs won't be enough (they should be). EMS mortar is great for making chokes. I highly advise against any turret or strategem that can damage the tower carelessly. Gatling turret swept across tower at one point and it went from safe to critical instability in about .5 seconds. Laser guarddog will do the same thing.

I think the little bugs don't damage the tower, only big bugs (like the darker crawly guys and up) so really you just want to bring enough to kill those and you can handle the small guys with your normie guns.

Mines have a low cooldown so I could bring them to every fight and close off 2 pathways then basically be a mobile turret with the mech. The only time things really got out of hand on 7+ is when you get a failure cascade due to friendly fire or somehow a brood commander crawling halfway up the tower and then someone mashes the button over and over which can spawn a ludicrous amount of biles.

For the most part the bugs just get mowed down by sentries / players as long as the tower is "charging" as they will mindlessly pursue towards it. Throw gatlings/autocannon/rocket sentries far away so they have less chance to hit the tower.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

frankly I find the idea of a bug that flies offensive

footage of the last rear end in a top hat who said bugs could fly

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Another fun point: players dying + respawning also accelerates spawns (sometimes, randomly)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

Napalm, unlike gas, lights things on fire and they continue to burn. Both are made better by liberal application of EMS strikes and mortars, but the persistence of napalm makes it a clear win in my eyes.

Just wait till they give us a Napalm mortar

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

imagine, if you will, a napalm guard dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Ciaphas posted:

imagine, if you will, a napalm guard dog

Sure, I love instantly dying in a fire after equipping something.