Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Edit: gently caress, wrong button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MJP posted:

I just fell in love with the Lace Alumitone pickups on aesthetics alone.

Are there any other art deco/linear looking coil splittable humbuckers that have a similar architectural look or should I just resign myself to Big Boy Pickup Money?

What model is that? It's like a Firebird acoustic, I am extremely curious.

It's an AC375 ~2000s (no way to date it exactly... their serial number system is apparently useless so the best you can do is guess based on features that came into/out of existence at a given time)

they also had AC175/AC275 models which seem to be slight variations on the body shape and an electric sized neck rather than the 1 3/4" the 375 has

e:
I found this out from the catalog archives here: http://kieselmuseum.com/2001/

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

so this is a dumb question but please bear with my anxiety. I might have even asked before but I forgot.

so sometimes, especially if you havent played in several hours, or maybe you recently woke up, or whatever reason, do your guys hands just seem to "not work"? For me specifically, it's fast alternate/trem picking. Whatever that motion you do with your wrist to pick back and forth real fast, sometimes my body just....can't do it at all and it only does the regular slow back and forth motion instead of clicking into that fast version(it's a different kind of thing you do, I can't explain it). Usually if I'm patient and warm up and all that it will return, but it can be frustrating sometimes. Is this just a normal human body thing or do I have a terrible affliction of some sort that's sure to halt my shred progress?

Yup, this is why warming up is important

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
oops ordered a squier tele when I couldn't sleep

I have a weird offset tele-like thing with a tele bridge and jazzmaster neck pu but I took that apart long ago it's still in pieces

so I needed a normal one you see

it's california blue?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I have a weird offset tele-like thing with a tele bridge and jazzmaster neck pu but I took that apart long ago it's still in pieces

it's california blue?

Oops all teles

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dang, this looks like it'd feel like a dream.

Any chance you know the radius and neck profile? It looks like they offered a 10" version and that's drat near close to what I'd love to have in an acoustic.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

it's california blue?

Yes, absolutely justified. Order ALL the teles, one for every tuning, one for every mood.
https://www.sbysolar.com/product-category/type-tb/

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MJP posted:

Dang, this looks like it'd feel like a dream.

Any chance you know the radius and neck profile? It looks like they offered a 10" version and that's drat near close to what I'd love to have in an acoustic.

Definitely flatter than 10", I see in the book that 15" is the standard and that sounds about right. Profile is definitely a flat D. Neck is wide, 1 3/4th and I don't have calipers so I can't say for sure but it's thicker than a fender neck, thinner than a martin acoustic standard profile

It feels wide but the flatter profile makes it very barre chord friendly up and down the neck (because it gives the thumb a lot of leverage to press against). In fact I find it kinda makes my thumb want to natural rest in that "proper" position braced against the back more than my other guitars.
Not quite as easy to thumb wrap as some but still possible.

On paper that's not something I think I'd naturally gravitate towards but what really sets it apart from anything I've got currently (or have had before) is for the size of the small body and thickness (2.5") it sounds so damned full.
I've been through travel guitars, parlors, and even cheaper acoustics that don't come close to it. It's not going to replace my Martins but it's definitely easier to play overall (closer to electric neck and body dimensions) and the Fishman prefix sounds good enough for if I'm layering or don't want to bother mic-ing the acoustics

Overall it's a thumbs up from me under if you already have an acoustic and want one that does something a little different (or if you're primarily an electric player and want a good sounding acoustic that's got closer to electric dimensions)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

duodenum posted:

Yes, absolutely justified. Order ALL the teles, one for every tuning, one for every mood.
https://www.sbysolar.com/product-category/type-tb/

That’s slick as hell for the price. Kinda want one to just keep in c standard and screw around with. Idk anything about Solar quality though but I do dig Ola.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

one pickup one knob telecaster shape is the perfect guitar combination

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Definitely flatter than 10", I see in the book that 15" is the standard and that sounds about right. Profile is definitely a flat D. Neck is wide, 1 3/4th and I don't have calipers so I can't say for sure but it's thicker than a fender neck, thinner than a martin acoustic standard profile

It feels wide but the flatter profile makes it very barre chord friendly up and down the neck (because it gives the thumb a lot of leverage to press against). In fact I find it kinda makes my thumb want to natural rest in that "proper" position braced against the back more than my other guitars.
Not quite as easy to thumb wrap as some but still possible.

On paper that's not something I think I'd naturally gravitate towards but what really sets it apart from anything I've got currently (or have had before) is for the size of the small body and thickness (2.5") it sounds so damned full.
I've been through travel guitars, parlors, and even cheaper acoustics that don't come close to it. It's not going to replace my Martins but it's definitely easier to play overall (closer to electric neck and body dimensions) and the Fishman prefix sounds good enough for if I'm layering or don't want to bother mic-ing the acoustics

Overall it's a thumbs up from me under if you already have an acoustic and want one that does something a little different (or if you're primarily an electric player and want a good sounding acoustic that's got closer to electric dimensions)

Thanks so much for the details! I gotta keep my eyes peeled for a local one to try; specs-wise it might not be what I'm gunning for to buy sight unseen.

The hunt for an acoustic with a Strat neck that isn't an Ovation goes on.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

one pickup one knob telecaster shape is the perfect guitar combination

Generally that's going to be an Esquire. They still have a selector switch, but it switches between tone knob bypassed, tone knob in the circuit, and a darker circuit.

Fun Esquire fact: Bruce is holding one on the cover to Born To Run, it's just that the decorated leather pickguard was cut for a neck pickup so there's one in there that just isn't wired up.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

That’s slick as hell for the price. Kinda want one to just keep in c standard and screw around with. Idk anything about Solar quality though but I do dig Ola.

I have an “S by Solar” Flying V and it’s much better than it should be for $300.

edit; I also have a Jackson JS32 King V (hard tail) and it kicks rear end too. Both seem worth it. Love them.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 12, 2024

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Any of you used ratio tuners? I've seen good reviews around but goon brain trust supercedes random internet people for me. Found some on sale but I don't wanna pull the trigger yet since I'm waiting for next string change to do it and a couple other things all at once.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

just gonna be honest i'm not much of a john mayer fan but i'll take a no such thing

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

PathAsc posted:

Any of you used ratio tuners? I've seen good reviews around but goon brain trust supercedes random internet people for me. Found some on sale but I don't wanna pull the trigger yet since I'm waiting for next string change to do it and a couple other things all at once.

I have the locking ones and they're the best tuners I've ever used. I put the bottom 6 tuners of a 7 string set on my Bass VI because regular guitar tuners are way too low of a gear ratio for bass register. When I have my hard tail plate on it stays in tune for weeks, +/- like 3-5 cents. Feel super solid to turn, lock down easily, 10/10 imo. I wish they had better looking tips though.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

internet celebrity posted:

I have the locking ones and they're the best tuners I've ever used. I put the bottom 6 tuners of a 7 string set on my Bass VI because regular guitar tuners are way too low of a gear ratio for bass register. When I have my hard tail plate on it stays in tune for weeks, +/- like 3-5 cents. Feel super solid to turn, lock down easily, 10/10 imo. I wish they had better looking tips though.

Appreciate it, definitely moving to locking tuners either way but that's the info I needed for sure. The tuners I have currently are crap stock and worn out, unsurprisingly. The whole mounting plate thing is a big bonus imo.

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

On the subject of tuners

I have an Epiphone Les Paul that is constantly going out of tune. The stock tuners feel "soft" - they turn very easily. Would replacing the tuners be likely to help stay in tune and, if so, what replacements does the thread recommend?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It might, in your case. However, replace the nut while you are at it with a good graphtech nut. Cheap nuts are notorious for causing tuning issues, as well as nuts that aren't filed wide enough if you have bigger gauge strings. It's not too hard to file an already cut nut wider at all, in fact you can do it with a piece of string.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I also was going to say the nut. The elasticity of the metal strings is a huge factor.

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It might, in your case. However, replace the nut while you are at it with a good graphtech nut. Cheap nuts are notorious for causing tuning issues, as well as nuts that aren't filed wide enough if you have bigger gauge strings. It's not too hard to file an already cut nut wider at all, in fact you can do it with a piece of string.

Well the nut looks like a cheap and easy replacement, so that seems like a no-brainer. Thanks!

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

also it's a les paul tuning issues are part of the experience

they make a thingy you put on the headstock to angle the strings correctly going from the nut to the tuners: https://www.amazon.com/stores/TheStringButler/page/68095A37-9EE9-4A7F-8534-8BCC60703F9B?ref_=ast_bln

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Doesn’t look cool 😔

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Doesn’t look cool 😔

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1141274517/tune-voodoo-skull-a-string-guide-for

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
study the nut, it is the way

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just wanted to say thanks to this thread for the headphone chat early last month because inspired by that I graduated from some sennheiser HD280s to Beyerdynamic DT770s and if the only difference was the comfort that'd be enough to make up for the difference in price

I didn't know over the ear cans could be this comfy

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

insane clown pussy posted:

also it's a les paul tuning issues are part of the experience

they make a thingy you put on the headstock to angle the strings correctly going from the nut to the tuners: https://www.amazon.com/stores/TheStringButler/page/68095A37-9EE9-4A7F-8534-8BCC60703F9B?ref_=ast_bln

I have string butler on there already. It does help, but only up to a point.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

A Small Beetle posted:

I have string butler on there already. It does help, but only up to a point.

Then you probably have a nut problem.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

duodenum posted:

That's what she said :dukedog:

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

duodenum posted:

New nut ordered!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

This morning I traded in my 30 watt Egnater amp for this guy:

~5 watt Fender Champ built in 1978. The shop said it's been serviced within the past 5 years. It's got a 3-prong power cord and a new speaker in, so it's definitely had someone working on it recently. I'll pull the board at some point just to take a look and see if the caps look new, but it sounds great and is not noisy so I'm not expecting to make changes.

I always found the Egnater hard to get at a comfortable volume level. There was like one spot on the volume knob that was between off and deafening. This Champ has a bunch of different sounds along the volume knob and only starts to get uncomfortable around 7. I played it for 3 hours straight after I got it home, and I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with it.

Here's a little arpeggio thing I wrapped up my play session with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eq-P9fDqxQ

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Champ move. Back to listening to the video.

Edit: that sounds quite nice.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 14, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the champ sounds lovely and that arpeggio bit immediately made me think of wherever you will go

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Wow that sounds good, nice trade, hope when you pull the board it's all in good order!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

cant remember if i've ever posted this here but this band is sick and this song is like a weezer song without any psychic baggage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFKDog0Th44

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

landgrabber posted:

cant remember if i've ever posted this here but this band is sick and this song is like a weezer song without any psychic baggage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFKDog0Th44

That's sick

Kinda reminds me of the Skirts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtEogy2OsUU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I wanted to just post for a minute. I got some strap locks last week because the last time we had band practice my strap slipped off the thing; it seemed like a practical purchase.

Don't bother with Duncan strap locks if you have an SG. They stick out way too far behind the neck, the guitar wants to pivot downward, you gotta fight it with either the front of your fingering arm or the back of your picking arm and either way it makes you sound like poo poo.

There's a guy on the regular Internet forums who has solved this issue, though. I did what he said and I bought some Grolsch beer and pulled the rubber gaskets off of the bottles and that has worked perfectly. gently caress a strap lock, have a beer and it will all work out

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Reminder sg is the best guitar

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

yep I grolsch all my guitars (fender-branded, whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

yep I grolsch all my guitars (fender-branded, whatever).

Yeah these are way better. The Dunlop ones are a pain for cases too.