Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

LochNessMonster posted:

Burnt ends came out really nice and tasted amazing.

Actual Pavlovian salivation reaction looking at this. Well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Here we go

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/3859019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Turned out good

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Eat it!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I smoked a bunch of chicken wings last night and now I'm about to grill them.

Smoked wings best wings.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to smoke some salmon.
Anything I should know?
It's for meal prep to use in lunches during the week

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Anything I should know?

I try to smoke salmon as low as possible. If you have time to let it dry out in the fridge, that can help too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Do you usually smoke by time or temp?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

HootTheOwl posted:

Anything I should know?

There's hot smoked salmon (which is cooked) and then there's cold smoked salmon, which is not cooked, but preserved using smoked technique (this is the common type).

If you are doing cold smoked, you basically want no heat at all, but just in a smoke environment for like 24hrs. Anything over like 90f will cause the fish to cook. (phone posting so don't have the exact numbers).

If you want hot smoked (cooked) salmon, IIRC you want like 250-300f, depending on your smokiness preferences.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Anything I should know?

For hot smoking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk3xl6H9o94

Just don't let the fish get past 140F where the albumin comes out. (It's still totally fine if it does.)

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I fired up the smoker for the first time in a while and cooked up some beef ribs.

Apparently the trick for me is to not care about the temperature at all and ballpark everything according to time, because of the two I ate, they were probably the most tender ribs I've made so far.

I smoked them at 225 the whole time, spraying a couple of times with cider vinegar after 3 hours, and wrapping in paper with a bit of tallow after about 4 hours. I put them into the cooler 3 hours later to rest for about an hour. I probably could have unwrapped them for a little bit to firm up the bark again, but I definitely had no complaints with the final product. At no point did I use a probe.

My partner knew I was happy with them because I started nodding and saying "mhm" immediately after the first bite.

I also smoked some chicken thighs for the dogs as a little treat. The older one knows what's up when she sees me walking around with the cooler now...

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

I also smoked some chicken thighs for the dogs as a little treat. The older one knows what's up when she sees me walking around with the cooler now...

My dog gets excited when I go into the grilling cabinet and also when the timer goes off. He knows it means 1) outside and 2) MEAT :xd:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My dog will lick the fat drip basket for a solid week after a smoke

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

HootTheOwl posted:

Anything I should know?

This is my all time favorite smoked salmon recipe, it's seriously incredible:
https://keviniscooking.com/wprm_print/76650

For cooking, let the salmon sit in the fridge on a rack for ~4 hours after you take it out of the brine. The surface should be a little tacky to the touch, this is how you know it'll pick up the smoke really well. From there smoke it at 200-225 until it hits 130. At 130 it'll still be incredibly moist and tender, if you like it a little bit firmer you could go further but definitely not past 140 imo.

Other than that, I use some parchment to put the fish on after it's out of the brine, cut to match it's shape. This is just because I fuckin hate cleaning fish oil off my smoker's racks.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
What kind of sausage do you guys like to smoke?

I live in Southern New England, so for me a sausage is a nice Italian or Portuguese sausage. Is that the kind of sausage that they’re smoking in Texas and Kansas?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I live in Southern New England, so for me a sausage is a nice Italian or Portuguese sausage. Is that the kind of sausage that they’re smoking in Texas and Kansas?

i don't know about texas or kansas (i live in maryland) but i feel like i have to make my own if i'm wanting to do anything other than italians or brats, maybe chorizo. its kind of annoying. i can find some weisswurst at aldis but that's already cooked so i may as well grill it over coals at that point.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My favorite is a kinda generic southern spicy pork sausage. When I used to live in Florida it was from this spot: https://bradleyscountrystore.com/our-story/. I'm in Maryland now and that style isn't too common here, but it's around if I'm willing to make a trek. Texas probably trends more towards beef sausage.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of sausage - any of you all make your own? I got a meat grinder that I've been itching to use.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Gwaihir posted:

Texas probably trends more towards beef sausage.

I would say Czech/German style pork+beef is the "middle of the road" option in most of the state (or at leaf for most of southern, eastern, and central Texas). On the Gulf coast, Cajun sausages like andouille and boudin are also a big thing, and that is 100% pork.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I smoked a duck the other day, was pretty tasty.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Dango Bango posted:

Speaking of sausage - any of you all make your own? I got a meat grinder that I've been itching to use.

I have. Been a while, but i used to be a butcher. I even got my granpas old hand crank grinder.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Texas is usually a simple pork sausage with garlic and black pepper or a pork sausage with jalepenos, garlic, pepper, and possibly with cheese. This is what youll usually see at bbq places, but if you find a decent butcher you can smoke all kinds of good stuff. Andouille, polish, hot or sweat italian, brats, chorizo, even breakfast links.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I’m going to be bothering this thread a lot more because I just got this cheap indoor smoker (manual here). Yes this is a sad imitation of the real thing, but I have an NYC apartment with no outdoor space, and I don’t have money or space for the sick GE indoor smoker, so here we are. If it can beat a bottle of liquid smoke, I’m happy. Early tests with fish have been delightful.

I’m marinating jerk chicken kebabs. I’m thinking instead of hot smoking until done, which will yield a steamed texture, I can cold smoke them for some amount of time, then actually cook them under my oven broiler? How long should I smoke, maybe 30 minutes?

I got this 8-pack of wood chips. These are super tiny chips designed for a cocktail smoker, so they’re smaller and combust faster than I want. Does anyone know of a source/type of chips that are more like a dime to a quarter in size? I really don’t want to get the regular giant bag and try to cut down the chips somehow (again, NYC apartment). Apparently pellets don’t work.

Also, out of those eight woods, any suggestions which to pick for jerk chicken? I know pimento and allspice are traditional, but obviously not happening here. Maybe pecan?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 8, 2024

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dango Bango posted:

I do. My KitchenAid has a grinder attachment, and my kids got me a sausage stuffer (because of a youtube channel called Mr. Sausage?) and I love it. Pork butt/shoulder is a great fat content for sausage, and I can make either loose sausage for breakfast or brats in the casings.

On another note, I used my grinder to make a ground beef from brisket flat, beef trimmings, and some chuck roast, and it made the absolute best burger I have had in my life.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Kids ftw

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I do. My KitchenAid has a grinder attachment, and my kids got me a sausage stuffer (because of a youtube channel called Mr. Sausage?) and I love it. Pork butt/shoulder is a great fat content for sausage, and I can make either loose sausage for breakfast or brats in the casings.

On another note, I used my grinder to make a ground beef from brisket flat, beef trimmings, and some chuck roast, and it made the absolute best burger I have had in my life.

Brisket trimming burgers is 100% why I bought the grinder. I'll have to try your sausage recommendation too in the meantime. Thanks!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Your grinder didn't come with a sausage attachment?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hasselblad posted:

Your grinder didn't come with a sausage attachment?

I’m no expert, but the one time I tagged along with my uncle and made several dozen pounds of sausage, we used a hand-cranked stuffing tool for finer control of the feed rate.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm not going to smoke it, but if you wanted to corn your own brisket for St Patty's, now is the time to start. I put mine in the brine yesterday.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Lawnie posted:

I’m no expert, but the one time I tagged along with my uncle and made several dozen pounds of sausage, we used a hand-cranked stuffing tool for finer control of the feed rate.

Exactly this. It's much easier to control the flow rate on a hand crank than a motor.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Where do you all get casings?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Dango Bango posted:

Fun Fact: if you are very polite and ask a wild pig to borrow its intestines it will usually just give them to you.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

Same event, we went to a pretty famous meat market on Lake street in Chicago where we got natural casings. This was probably 15-20 years ago now though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
https://www.sausagemaker.com

It’s where I get all of my sausage stuff, except for equipment, now that I am back to just Enthusiastic Hobbyist status.

Consistently the best casings I can find outside of a distributor catalog, and the cultures are all the exact same as we would order at the factory, just smaller bags.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Anne Whateley posted:

I’m going to be bothering this thread a lot more because I just got this cheap indoor smoker (manual here). Yes this is a sad imitation of the real thing, but I have an NYC apartment with no outdoor space, and I don’t have money or space for the sick GE indoor smoker, so here we are. If it can beat a bottle of liquid smoke, I’m happy. Early tests with fish have been delightful.

I’m marinating jerk chicken kebabs. I’m thinking instead of hot smoking until done, which will yield a steamed texture, I can cold smoke them for some amount of time, then actually cook them under my oven broiler? How long should I smoke, maybe 30 minutes?

I got this 8-pack of wood chips. These are super tiny chips designed for a cocktail smoker, so they’re smaller and combust faster than I want. Does anyone know of a source/type of chips that are more like a dime to a quarter in size? I really don’t want to get the regular giant bag and try to cut down the chips somehow (again, NYC apartment). Apparently pellets don’t work.

Also, out of those eight woods, any suggestions which to pick for jerk chicken? I know pimento and allspice are traditional, but obviously not happening here. Maybe pecan?

Ace Hardware sells Weber-branded wood chips in like a 2lb or 5lb bag or something like that. About the right size to fit in a shoebox, basically. Alternatively, I'm sure you can find them anywhere online as well.

Not sure if that is larger than you were looking for, though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Thanks! That size bag is great, but the issue is the size of the chips themselves. The device only has a very small area the chips need to fit into. I don’t know if there’s anything between cocktail smoking chips, which are like a grain of rice or a fingernail clipping (small enough to fit, but burn too fast), and regular chips that are maybe like 2x2” (won’t fit and I can’t really chop wood here).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Anne Whateley posted:

Thanks! That size bag is great, but the issue is the size of the chips themselves. The device only has a very small area the chips need to fit into. I don’t know if there’s anything between cocktail smoking chips, which are like a grain of rice or a fingernail clipping (small enough to fit, but burn too fast), and regular chips that are maybe like 2x2” (won’t fit and I can’t really chop wood here).

Hmm, I'm just going off of memory right now, but I recall most of the chips being quarter-sized.

Some were smaller, and there definitely were some that were pushing the boundary of "chip" and "chunk", but most seemed reasonable.

. . . and now I'm considering how much damage wood chips would do to a food processor, and/or if a large cleaver/small hatchet and firm bodyweight pressure on a cutting board would be able to re-size large chips . . .

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Seems like the largest ones (of what's left of this bag) are only about 50% larger than a Quarter, with most smaller than one:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...ce470b0ee19f98&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zarin posted:

Hmm, I'm just going off of memory right now, but I recall most of the chips being quarter-sized.

Some were smaller, and there definitely were some that were pushing the boundary of "chip" and "chunk", but most seemed reasonable.

. . . and now I'm considering how much damage wood chips would do to a food processor, and/or if a large cleaver/small hatchet and firm bodyweight pressure on a cutting board would be able to re-size large chips . . .
The processor would probably turn your chips into powder and they could ignite from the heat if prolonged chopping