Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1767930013813195230?t=Ngxza7crBTYx_7qhgU9TxA&s=19

The falloff has begun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Isn’t Harold a child? Why did they turn him into a 40 year old man?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zachary Levi

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Man this interviewer is bad. The questions aren't bad, and Schrader takes it in spades and is a good interviewee, but Friedland just diverts every follow-up into the most basic offensive remark he can.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
He is a very stupid man

"[Mishima] was about a guy whose gay for swords or something?"

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 13, 2024

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Saw the new Vim Vendor's film. Pretty good. Made me feel things.

I choose to believe he was growing pot in that purple grow house that was slowly overtaking his upstairs.

Would make a good double feature with Pulse, assuming you can stand long rear end quiet rear end films.
I’m assuming you mean Cure? Since it’s the same actor and all. Pulse is the one with ghosts coming through the internet (it’s way better than that sounds). I loved Perfect Days, and Cure is one of the best psychological horror films I’ve ever seen that I somehow missed out on til a year and a half ago.

Anyway see Cure and Pulse anyone who hasn’t!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wim Wenders?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ken Penders

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Him? Oh, him Henders.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jim Hensons?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Jim Jarmush.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gim Genders

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw some threads post that probably has no validity but I lol’d regardless

It said marvel was considering robert eggers for Thor 5 lmao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eggers does not seem the type to sell out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Battle for the Lost Planet. It's great!

First off, Battle for the Lost Planet is a sci-fi epic, and the credits are like 30 seconds long. It is insane how few people worked on a movie with this much stuff in it. There are multiple space ship battles and it's like "Miniatures by: our friend Dave".

As I say, there's multiple space ship battles but there's also a spaceship vs a car, there are subhuman ravagers, a post apocalyptic biker gang, hippies, tapir-faced alien warriors, there's laser gun battles and fist fights, there's a fight to the death where the ceremonial sci-fi weapons are extremely obviously mic stands with knives taped to the top.

There is every kind of pre-computer low budget sci-fi special effect. There's a stop motion monster, there are miniatures all over the drat place, there's full face prosthetics that are always slightly coming off, there's matte painting and composite shots where one part of the composite is always wobbling, there's rear screen projection on the dirtiest screens you ever saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTPYstf59Y&t=64s

There's a part in the movie where a guy spends a long time alone in space, and it absolutely destroys The Martian for realism because the walls of his spaceship are gradually covered in crude drawings of boobs.

I don't understand how I hadn't heard of Battle for the Lost Planet before, it's delightful.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched Drugstore June, a surprisingly good comedy. One of those "Millennial-stuck-in-adolescence" type movies, where a the lead (Esther Povitsky) plays a loser who works at a Pharmacy that gets robbed. While stalking her ex-boyfriend (Haley Joel Osmond!), she decides to solve the crime. It's not laugh a minute, but a lot of the jokes are fun and Esther delivers it all brilliantly. She's playing someone aggressively awful, but it doesn't feel like it was written by a sixty year-old and there's enough heart to it that it's not offputting.

It's also very, very, very obviously a written by people in and shot in L.A. despite technically being set in "a small town". You have mentions of Comedy Sportz, a scene in a decked out dispensary, and a laughably nice "dive" bar. Still, pretty charming for a low-budget comedy.

Also speaking of Jim Jarmush, watched Fremont. Will just yoink Letterboxd's description: "Donya, a lonely Afghan refugee and former translator, spends her twenties drifting through a meager existence in Fremont, California. Shuttling between her job writing fortunes for a fortune cookie factory and sessions with her eccentric therapist, Donya suffers from insomnia and survivor’s guilt over those still left behind in Kabul as she desperately searches for love."

Understated, black and white, and quiet, but sweet. Watched because I saw the cast included an odd pair of Jeremy Allen White and Gregg Turkington. Both are great in it, leaning into their respective archetypes.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 14, 2024

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

All art should kill on sight.
going back to this, i watched synecdoche, ny tonight and it'd be a 10/10 if somehow it was able to kill me and every other human who had ever viewed it with its final line

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

Eggers does not seem the type to sell out

I could see him doing it as a One for You, One For Me type deal like Nolan did with the Batman movies, and I wouldn't mind seeing what he does with a The Prestige or Inception budget.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boy of Joy posted:

I’m assuming you mean Cure?

Yeah, Perfect Days.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Air Skwirl posted:

I could see him doing it as a One for You, One For Me type deal like Nolan did with the Batman movies, and I wouldn't mind seeing what he does with a The Prestige or Inception budget.

It would make for some incredible tonal whiplash if, for some godforsaken reason, one would binge watch the Thor movies twenty years from now. Going from whatever the gently caress Love and Thunder was to Thor 5: Thorthman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

It would make for some incredible tonal whiplash if, for some godforsaken reason, one would binge watch the Thor movies twenty years from now. Going from whatever the gently caress Love and Thunder was to Thor 5: Thorthman

Love and Thunder made the biggest mistake I could think of for a comic book adaptation because it combined two amazing Thor stories that are easily enough for a single movie on their own into a single movie. I hate to say this because it makes me sound like one of those guys who says there's too many women in comic book movies, but the God Butcher story is really good on it's own and doesn't need Jane Thor. And Jane Thor is a great story but doesn't work at all with the MCU at the end of Endgame. You could probably do it well but you can't do it by shoving it into another giant story.

It was just way too much, also I don't want the loving Olympians in my Marvel films, leave that poo poo for DC. You can reference them obliquely but it'd be loving annoying if Odin was in a Wonder Woman movie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

Northman lost a shitload of money so I could see something like that as a shortcut to get out of movie jail

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Air Skwirl posted:

Love and Thunder made the biggest mistake I could think of for a comic book adaptation because it combined two amazing Thor stories that are easily enough for a single movie on their own into a single movie. I hate to say this because it makes me sound like one of those guys who says there's too many women in comic book movies, but the God Butcher story is really good on it's own and doesn't need Jane Thor. And Jane Thor is a great story but doesn't work at all with the MCU at the end of Endgame. You could probably do it well but you can't do it by shoving it into another giant story.

It was just way too much, also I don't want the loving Olympians in my Marvel films, leave that poo poo for DC. You can reference them obliquely but it'd be loving annoying if Odin was in a Wonder Woman movie.

The MCU has made a habit out of butchering storylines that could easily take up one or several movies but Love & Thunder was a new low, yeah. It reminds me of how Batman movies can't have less than two rogues from his gallery no matter what. It mostly works out there but it shows how little faith you have in your source material if you can't take something like the God Butcher and let it be its own thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

It also constantly made jokes about itself in a way that made it clear that the characters thought the whole story was stupid and you shouldn't care about any aspect of it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Failed Imagineer posted:

Northman lost a shitload of money so I could see something like that as a shortcut to get out of movie jail

Eh, if he was in movie jail they probably wouldn't have let him do Nosferatu. Also looking it up supposedly ATJ is playing the Arthur Holmwood equivalent character?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I really hope this is just a proof of concept and we get a full movie about Foodlosslla

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1768093695830557145?t=YfKM1Y0F8WghBfc690T1Sw&s=19

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's apparently done incredibly well in VOD.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gripweed posted:

It also constantly made jokes about itself in a way that made it clear that the characters thought the whole story was stupid and you shouldn't care about any aspect of it.

Yes, it is an MCU movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Man this interviewer is bad. The questions aren't bad, and Schrader takes it in spades and is a good interviewee, but Friedland just diverts every follow-up into the most basic offensive remark he can.

Takes it in spades? Schrader himself is a scumbag!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

It's apparently done incredibly well in VOD.

This pleases me greatly. I may have to give it a 3rd watch (4th maybe?) this week, and practice my sword moves along with the main character, Amleth, making all the swoosh noises as I parry and thrust

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Not many can say they fought their uncle in a volcano. I can.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We do that at every family reunion here in Iceland.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Not many can say they fought their uncle in a volcano. I can.

I've fought several uncles in the car park of a flat-roofed pub, which is spiritually the same thing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think Claes Bang is definitely on my must-watch actors list, dude is diverse and charismatic as hell.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just saw L&T as another Marvel movie where the villain has a good point, but he goes too far, so the hero needs to kill him and restore the status quo where people eat at McDonald's and chat about that time half the global population died for a few years.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Kinda funny that The Leftovers got 3 excellent seasons out of the society-destabilising mindtrip of 2% of the population disappearing, but in the MCU 50% of the population disappear and then reappear 2 years later or whatever and it's mentioned a couple of times but mostly society is just fine

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Kinda funny that The Leftovers got 3 excellent seasons out of the society-destabilising mindtrip of 2% of the population disappearing, but in the MCU 50% of the population disappear and then reappear 2 years later or whatever and it's mentioned a couple of times but mostly society is just fine

In Thor 4 there’s a Thanos-themed ice cream parlor. I think the answer best supported by the text is that most people just went insane.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would eat at a 9/11 themed bar

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think Claes Bang is definitely on my must-watch actors list, dude is diverse and charismatic as hell.

You should check out the BBC/Netflix Dracula series where he plays the count himself.

Don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Safety Factor posted:

You should check out the BBC/Netflix Dracula series where he plays the count himself.

Don't do this.

Well now I don't know what to think.

I heard the ship episode was good