Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I also forgot Dark Messiah Might and Magic which is on Steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I found Prodeus extremely mid, with some questionable decisions made around saving / respawning and a boring bestiary.

Bumhead posted:

Prodeus is easily the most "I might as well just be playing more Doom 2" of the more recent boomshoots.

Really? It looks super fun. Huh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prodeus sucks

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't want to say that Prodeus sucks, I don't think is that bad, but I didn't gel with it. I dropped it at some point, which in a way, it means I liked it less than Boltgun (which I finished).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't think it sucks because I've honestly never played it, but I haven't played it because I hate how it looks

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's really fun for the first couple of hours, but gets very samey and there are enough annoying design decisions that I never finished it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Prodeus is great

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Prodeus good but I'm in the minority who thinks so so statistically you're better off playing something else first. Try trepang2 instead

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh yeah and I know you said you played the quakes, if you have literally any affection for Q2 at all, even the slightest bit, the remaster from last year is phenomenal and really fixed almost all of the base game's issues.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 13, 2024

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I don't want to say not to play Nightmare Reaper but maybe drop it down the list a ways. It's way below HROT and Amid Evil, for example. Grab the Quake 2 remaster and play the new campaign too, it's super good.

Nightmare Reaper is just exhaustingly long and the random weapon drops are cool until you get further in the game and all the really cool weapons just don't do the DPS a good old AK with +2 attacks, so you go through the back half of the game maining an AK instead of an orbital laser or a minigun or something.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
He didn't cross out system shock remake, so uh, play that. It's more brainy than a boomshoot, but there's a reason everyone raves about it and it's done megabucks on steam.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Witchaven 1 and 2.

Join me, join me in the filth

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

Prodeus good but I'm in the minority who thinks so so statistically you're better off playing something else first. Try trepang2 instead

You are in the minority here, but overall, it seems is the other way around!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

He didn't cross out system shock remake, so uh, play that. It's more brainy than a boomshoot, but there's a reason everyone raves about it and it's done megabucks on steam.

I'll do this.

Also, I've played the Quakes. Well, I got almost to the end of Quake 2 back in the day, and played a lot of the remake. I LOVE how owners of the games just, y'know... got the remaster for free. I have yet to play the Machinegames maps.

Oh, also, I haven't played a Wolfenstein since RTCW, so I guess I should fix that? I'm so confused by the titles, which one is good, old blood, new blood, nazi blood, I'll get it straightened out one of these days.

Also, from the perspective of someone who hasn't played either, HROT looks a lot worse than Prodeus, a lot more 'samey', or I guess less dynamic. But y'all are touting HROT over Prodeus, so I'll sincerely take that into consideration if it comes down to it.

But I've also read a bunch of people hating on Project Warlock and I loving looooove that game.

FPS games are truly a land of contrasts and brightness settings.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 14, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HROT is miles better than Prodeus. Prodeus has absolutely nothing interesting to say. It’s soulless.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

who is hating on project warlock, show yourself cowards

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s boring!!!!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
To give you an idea of HROT's sense of humor, one of the health pickup is a can listed as "tasty canned poultry." It is actually a can of porkblood and fat, which is just like a Czech thing.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Not enough Heretic+xpac/Hexen+xpac/Hexen II+xpac

I mean, they're definitely flawed in today's age, but they're also awesome

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prodeus is fun and has some good maps but the checkpoint system really, really hurts it and the roster has some bruisers you dont see enough of until the end. Map art assets are also fairly repetitive and then right when it introduces a new, Quake inspired map set the game ends.

Its also got too many gol dang guns and I want to ban them from the scroll wheel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

HROT is miles better than Prodeus. Prodeus has absolutely nothing interesting to say. It’s soulless.

This is correct.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s boring!!!!

Yeah unfortunately I have to agree. I will always got to bat for the dev's efforts, but I found the game to be really monotonous and too easy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

Witchaven 1 and 2.

Join me, join me in the filth

:sickos:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Nightmare Reaper was loving rad for most of my playtime but really, once you've had enough of it you don't need to feel bad about dropping it.

It's unnecessarily long with one of the worst level up mechanics(each skill tree is a fuckin minigame, granted you can skip them for the most part) you could think of.

I also think that they introduce way too much bullshit to keep track of later on(so many physical tiny fuckin objects to plug into things that blend in with the messy textures.)

But god drat is the combat fun as hell, the number of different toys you can play with is just crazy.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Prodeus is real good and fun in general, painting the walls with the blood of all the enemies in you way, with some really neat levels, but the campaign ends very suddenly and rather disappointingly with a really weak as hell final level. I do think it's definitely worth checking out (it's just really satisfying to shoot stuff in this game), but I'd personally put stuff like System Shock Remake over it. Plus, they're working on a dlc campaign for Prodeus, so maybe wait until they release that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

To give you an idea of HROT's sense of humor, one of the health pickup is a can listed as "tasty canned poultry." It is actually a can of porkblood and fat, which is just like a Czech thing.

I liked that stuff but found the game a drag to play for a good chunk. The levels get more creative and interesting in the later episodes so I ended up liking it quite a bit more in the last one.

HROT ranks pretty low in my list. It has a special sense of humor and a unique setting but I didn’t find it much fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Prodeus is a solid DOOM 2016 clone with some pretty good maps up to a point, and I think I enjoyed it a little more than Boltgun, but I'd put them in the same tier. They're planning to fix the save system, I think, so probably just wait for that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah unfortunately I have to agree. I will always got to bat for the dev's efforts, but I found the game to be really monotonous and too easy.

the city episode is the peak and is really really good, but it can't sustain that quality through the ending unfortunately

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It has punchy maps and I like that in Prodeus the same way I like it in Doom 64.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If you didn't like Doom Eternal's new mechanics, you will probably like Prodeus. It's basically Doom 2.5. I enjoyed it quite a bit and it has a lot of custom levels you can download inside the game.

I also really enjoyed Amid Evil. It's not very Quake-like in terms of theme and appearance, but I got lots of Quake vibes from the level design and overall gameplay.

To throw in a bit of an unrelated oddball Overload is a really good descent-like.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i really like 16 and prodeus felt quite a lot like More Doom 2016 to me up to and including me spending quite a lot of time in my first few hours attempting to glory kill enemies because it felt like i was playing doom

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JEEEEEZUS CRUNCHY gently caress.

The hedgemaze.

I... I thought there was only gonna be one chainsaw maniac.

I love it. I physically moved quite a bit when that happened.

This is hands down my favourite map so far.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Cultic is a compelling example of a game that can walk a fine line between survival horror and bombastic action. It knows how (and importantly when) to ratchet the genuine tension, but it's just at adept at going nuts and veering into schlocky violence.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Plus you can evaporate a dude by throwing a toilet seat at them and kicking it before it hits them. Then you can pick up their eyeballs and repeat on the next dude.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Cultic is a compelling example of a game that can walk a fine line between survival horror and bombastic action. It knows how (and importantly when) to ratchet the genuine tension, but it's just at adept at going nuts and veering into schlocky violence.

It's definitely a fantastic mix, done well. I ended my night tonight in the asylum, when the old-timey wheelchair (those already creep me the gently caress out) rolled into the room I was in.

It's really, really chilling when the music, who I think of as my only companion during my time in Cultic (other than you all who I post about this with) cuts out and I'm sneaking around the asylum, and those.... ghosts or telepaths are just standing in some corner of an extremely dark room, just standing there. And they don't even attack you directly. They don't even move, but you know they're near.

Seeing them just existing in what was, before I showed up, a black and silent room, reminds me of Mike at the end of Blair Witch.

Like... I still wonder what could possibly have convinced him to go and stand in the corner with his head down, in that dark basement. Why are these enemies all alone for gently caress knows how long, just standing there, waiting?!

I run these horrible thoughts through my brain, but like ten minutes before, I was John Wicking cultists and zombies and... flamethrower zombies (they're almost silly).

Cultic's got me like a good horror movie, mixed with some Bruce Campbell-esque awesome action bullshit. I love it so much.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 14, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dramicus posted:

To throw in a bit of an unrelated oddball Overload is a really good descent-like.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/
Oh yea, Overload is essentially "Descent as you remembered it, but better and now modern." I'm just upset that their DLCs are fan map packs instead of another proper campaign with voices, it was that good.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I'm gonna vote against Hexen. I loved the poo poo out of it as a kid, and the sprites and combat are still gorgeous and great fun respectively, but the absurd keyhunt kills it. Flipping a switch to be told 'a door has opened on <mapname>' then you have to go find that mystery door is... not fun. You almost need a walkthrough, which removes the joy in it.

--------------------

Prodeus is imo a doom16-influenced boomer-shooter that misses a few key points, in that the menagerie needs to have some checks and balances and force you to do cool stuff. I've had this rant before, where the additional Doom2 stuff is brilliant: it adds hit-scanners and homing projectiles so you can no longer just tap sidestep, and respawners/ressurectors so you can't afford to corner camp and gotta go get in there, and a gun that does likewise. SO MANY new fps games, especially the faux-retro stuff, seemed to have missed that lesson. The lesson is coming up 30 years old now to boot, and isn't exactly a forgotten tome. Its why I noped out of the Project Warlock demo, and am kinda wishy-washy on Wrath (but reserving final judgement till I finish it).

Prodeus doing well on Steam kinda makes me feel like an elitist jerk, but I'm gonna say it: Rotten Tomatoes is right about including both audience and critic scores. Some weird stuff is more appealing to a person who has eaten so much of this crap already, while the audience score helps determine if it's generically palatable. This thread is full of people who've played every FPS under the sun and so seeing a 2nd sprite shooter that let you gib people is nothing new, and so we end up with odd standards and esoteric recommendations.

I thought Prodeus was fun but unremarkable, kind of a wasted potential. Getting the same impression from Wrath.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

hexen is skippable but heretic and hexen 2 are both stellar

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Was. It's set in the eighties, we actually have meat now. Sometimes.

Anyway, since no one took up the Wolfenstein question:

Oh, also, I haven't played a Wolfenstein since RTCW, so I guess I should fix that? I'm so confused by the titles, which one is good, old blood, new blood, nazi blood, I'll get it straightened out one of these days.

Here's a quick guide to post-RTCW Wolf.

There's 2009, called just Wolfenstein. Not sure you can get it legally anywhere, which is a shame because it's a really good game if you can cope with all the trappings of the period it came out in, like the mostly pointless open world hub.

Then there's the MachineGames stuff. The New Order is the first to come out and it is very good apart from some repetitive level design, but they somehow managed to wrangle a considerably more serious-toned story of the setting and it's more than enough to carry the game's weaker bits. If you only want to play one, this is what I'd go for.

The Old Blood is a standalone expansion to that, with a prequel story focusing on the occult side of the setting which is basically untouched in TNO. It has some questionable design decisions but is very enjoyable overall and I'd argue its main weakness is that it is too short.

The New Colossus is the sequel to The New Order and it is divisive. The story basically takes TNO and ramps everything up to eleven so the result is pretty cheesy and often almost crosses into parody territory. Gameplaywise, it's more of the same and if you're itching for more nuWolf you'll definitely get it although I think the design is pretty inconsistent in quality and it has some really obnoxious difficulty spikes.

Youngblood is a standalone sequel expansion that focuses on co-op and RPG elements and... Just don't.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dramicus posted:

If you didn't like Doom Eternal's new mechanics, you will probably like Prodeus. It's basically Doom 2.5.

I wish that would be the case.