Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Craig K posted:

i literally screamed the phrase 267 MILLION VIEWS WHAT THE gently caress

and yes i don't know if it's just Kids These Days Raaargh but seeing like three and four year olds with tablets in their hands loving terrifies me

An 18 year old today was born in 2006 and has had a phone in their hands pretty much the entire meaningful time, too. None of them know how to use actual computers for anything, they never take out their earbuds, and they use AI generated responses for everything in school (including questions like "What is your name?"). Baudrillard was right, the Apocalypse happened and we just didn't notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
oh god speaking of things that lead the future leaders of america to doom, "the fact that you can feed your essay prompt into Google Bard"

wondering if we're going to see turnitin offer AI Checks

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Craig K posted:

oh god speaking of things that lead the future leaders of america to doom, "the fact that you can feed your essay prompt into Google Bard"

Looks like that's already a thing: https://www.turnitin.com/solutions/topics/ai-writing/

Not that anyone who regularly reads student writing actually needs a machine to verify AI generation. It all reads like paraphrased wiki articles, because it is.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ai generated text is extremely easy to identify

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The panic is the worst part. Whether it's the impact of technology on wellbeing, sexual behaviors, drug use, violence or anything else the kids are always made out to be worse than they are. Without Covid, college readiness would be in line with the 2010s. Understanding of tech and pipeline of tech savvy workers is still well developed. We seem to go from ipad kids to Sephora kids and on to try and make young people today appear super vulnerable and likely to fail. If anything is going to fail kids it's failures to support schools and a ton of other things.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Levitate posted:

I suspect, but without obvious hard evidence, that if you swapped "US Government" for "China's Government" in the structure of TikTok and ByteDance then a lot of people defending it would instead be pretty critical and skeptical.
Just because it's not the US government doesn't mean it's all a good thing, I think people should be highly skeptical of a setup like the one between ByteDance and China's government and not dismiss it because "the US is bad" and "I like this thing".

That all said, I don't know if this legislation is particularly useful or overreacting or the stated reasons are cover for more nefarious reasons. Just that saying "but the NSA spies on US citizens and other countries too!" isn't some gotcha that absolves the Chinese government for doing that. We can say "both of these things are bad and shouldn't be done!"

It's this. The issue is that even if they aren't currently abusing it, the CCP has absolute control over every single aspect of TikTok if they decide they want to give them marching orders. Any refusal would just get their CEO disappeared like has repeatedly happened to other Chinese CEOs who were mostly towing the line already. I would be strongly against a US government lead by either side having that power over any of our social media companies. Selling it to a US company is not going to magically fix everything, it'll still have all the issues that our homegrown social media companies have like data privacy stuff and the US government will still have more influence over it than it should, but it won't be the same. If Trump wins in November and they pass a law that says he has complete control over Facebook/Twitter/etc I strongly doubt there is a single person in this thread who would be ok with that and we shouldn't be ok with China currently having that power. It doesn't mean I like the idea of the US banning or forcing sales of companies, especially over reasons I don't agree with (the palestine support thing mentioned upthread), but I'd be a hypocrite if I said it was ok for a government to have this type of control just because it's China.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

lobster shirt posted:

ai generated text is extremely easy to identify

yeah it's probably just me being Kids These Days Raargh

the lack of computer knowledge concerns me though, but hell come 2040 everything might be done by tablet anyway

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Craig K posted:

yeah it's probably just me being Kids These Days Raargh

the lack of computer knowledge concerns me though, but hell come 2040 everything might be done by tablet anyway

We've given our 8 year old more tablet time than a lot of people recommend, but we are extremely careful about monitoring what he is doing, having super frequent conversations about all the various pitfalls and bad things, conversations about things he stumbles upon that need context from an adult, etc. I personally think banning him from it completely is the wrong move because if we did at some point he will get access and be a babe in the woods. In my opinion it's much better to safely expose and hold his hand through it all and prepare him for it than thrust him into it later on unprepared. These things are here to stay and are going to be a major part of his life for the rest of his life. The kids in his class that I see that have problems either get zero screen time (but plenty of their classmates do so they are getting it all filtered through the mind of other 8 year olds) or get completely unrestricted access with no guidance.

The lack of deep tech knowledge is a problem so that's something I work with him on. We aren't going to let him graduate high school and not know how to do the things like navigate a file structure, what a pdf is, or all the other stuff you see about gen z.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Staluigi posted:

swear to god im like out getting shopping done and you got seven 2 year olds next to each other watching unbroken hours of this poo poo

and i'm like oh no the luddites got a bad break

If you open up the description it goes straight to a set of lovely jumpscare videos "remixing" this lol

We need to return to the days of IRC

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Staluigi posted:

swear to god im like out getting shopping done and you got seven 2 year olds next to each other watching unbroken hours of this poo poo

I say this with full appreciation for all the generations before us which have said the same thing, but we're really kind of hosed.

Like this is literally brain-rotting stuff. And it's so widespread.

What the gently caress is going to happen.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Craig K posted:

Iirc, ChatGPT was released to the internet right as the fall semester of 2022 ended. Turnitin had implemented an AI detector midway through spring 2023. It was of dubious quality with plenty of false positives and a percentage score that didn't make a ton of sense at first glance, but it did pretty regularly peg the stuff I already thought was AI generated, so it was useful in a, "Because of reasons A, B, C, and D, I'm inclined to believe the AI detector," kind of way.

It's an entirely optional feature though and some institutions that otherwise have Turnitin embedded in their course delivery have disabled that feature such that instructors can't access it at all.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

litany of gulps posted:

An 18 year old today was born in 2006 and has had a phone in their hands pretty much the entire meaningful time, too. None of them know how to use actual computers for anything, they never take out their earbuds, and they use AI generated responses for everything in school (including questions like "What is your name?"). Baudrillard was right, the Apocalypse happened and we just didn't notice it.

quote:

There was a teacher who went viral on TikTok when he stated that his 12-13 year old students do not know their shapes. It's horrifying but it does not surprise me.

I teach high school. Age range 15-18 years old. I have seen students who can't do the following:

- Read at grade level. Some come into my classroom at a 3rd/4th grade reading level. There are some students who cannot sound out words.

- Write a complete sentence. They don't capitalize the first letter of the sentence or the I's. They also don't add punctuation. I have seen a student write one whole page essay without a period.

- Spell simple words.

- Add or subtract double-digits. For example, they can't solve 27-13 in their head. They also cannot do it on paper. They need a calculator.

- Know their multiplication tables.

- Round

- Graph

- Understand the concept of negative.

- Understand percentages.

- Solve one-step variable equations. For example, if I tell them "2x = 8. Solve for x," they can't solve it. They would subtract by 2 on both sides instead of dividing by 2.

- Take notes.

- Follow an example. They have a hard time transferring the patterns that they see in an example to a new problem.

- No research skills. The phrases they use to google are too vague when they search for information. For example, if I ask them to research the 5 types of chemical reactions, they only type in "reactions" in Google. When I explain that Google cannot read minds and they have to be very specific with their wording, they just stare at me confused. But even if their search phrases are good, they do not click on the links. They just read the excerpt Google provided them. If the answer is not in the excerpts, they give up.

- Just because they know how to use their phones does not mean they know how to use a computer. They are not familiar with common keyboard shortcuts. They also cannot type properly. Some students type using their index fingers.

These are just some things I can name at the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few that I missed here.

Now, as a teacher, I try my best to fill in the gaps. But I want the general public to understand that when the gap list is this big, it is nearly impossible to teach my curriculum efficiently. This is part of the reason why teachers are quitting in droves. You ask teachers to do the impossible and then vilify them for not achieving it. You cannot expect us to teach our curriculum efficiently when students are grade levels behind. Without a good foundation, students cannot learn more complex concepts. I thought this was common sense, but I guess it is not (based on admin's expectations and school policies).

I want to add that there are high-performing students out there. However, from my experience, the gap between the "gifted/honors" population and the "general" population has widened significantly. Either you have students that perform exceptionally well or you have students coming into class grade levels behind. There are rarely students who are in between.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shammypants posted:

The panic is the worst part. Whether it's the impact of technology on wellbeing, sexual behaviors, drug use, violence or anything else the kids are always made out to be worse than they are. Without Covid, college readiness would be in line with the 2010s. Understanding of tech and pipeline of tech savvy workers is still well developed. We seem to go from ipad kids to Sephora kids and on to try and make young people today appear super vulnerable and likely to fail. If anything is going to fail kids it's failures to support schools and a ton of other things.

This is a 2019 article about a 2015 study. One of the biggest failures of America to support schools is the inability to decisively lay down a policy on what to do about kids being on their phones 24/7.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I say this with full appreciation for all the generations before us which have said the same thing, but we're really kind of hosed.

I mean, the guy quoted above is probably correct, about 1/4 of Americans are still college ready and college bound. The kids in private schools and suburban public schools with strong parental involvement and investment in the success of the students will continue to feed into the colleges and get decent jobs. The working class kids will go to public schools with no will to enforce cell phone policies, a huge emphasis on easily cheated multiple choice tests, and a no child left behind mentality that does not allow them to be anything but diploma mills. They'll graduate out with limited English and math skills and not much else, then work low wage service jobs with no real chance of social mobility. They'll be making 15 bucks an hour barely getting by as costs increase every year for basic needs like groceries, cars, and housing, but they'll convince themselves that it's fine and that they're doing as well as anyone. Automation and globalization will eat away at their job security and benefits, but those issues are too complicated to face, so they'll vote for Trumpy types to build the wall and start trade wars with China in a desperate and impossible attempt to bring back the good jobs for undereducated workers.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
im skeptical of the supposed braindrain stuff like that because surely we would have seen economic impact of it by now or soon?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I had to look up the 5 types of chemical reactions, gently caress that was a long time ago that I learned that.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It’s just repeating the Satanic Panic stuff word for word. First it was rock music, then TV, then it was D&D, then it was arcades, then it was video games, now it’s phones.

EDIT: I say this as a luddite who didn’t get a smart phone until a friend forced one on me last year.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 14, 2024

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I was in high school from 2004-2008 and honestly a lot of the TikTok panic examples were happening back then as well, just a little differently. We'd have open note test where someone would refuse to take notes and then panic as it was coming up, be way behind in math and science, and not know what a verb was.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shooting Blanks posted:

I had to look up the 5 types of chemical reactions, gently caress that was a long time ago that I learned that.

I don't know what the five chemical reactions are, but in my defense I was never good in science class. Now, ask me about Bertolt Brecht and I know my poo poo.

(no one asks me about Bertolt Brecht)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This is worth raising with the education goons in SAL.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edit: didn't realize I was responding to a post several pages back that was already well responded to

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 14, 2024

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kchama posted:

It’s just repeating the Satanic Panic stuff word for word. First it was rock music, then TV, then it was D&D, then it was arcades, then it was video games, now it’s phones.

EDIT: I say this as a luddite who didn’t get a smart phone until a friend forced one on me last year.

Do you think, perhaps there is a connection between you personally not having a smart phone and you being unable to imagine a problem with allowing children to delegate all their higher thinking functions to cell phones for years and years and years? What I'm saying is that you, someone who has avoided smartphones for decades, is probably not the best person to judge how smartphones affect people.

And I'm speaking as someone who has a smartphone, but uses it almost entirely as merely a phone. No texting, no social media, no videos, absolutely no selfies.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Staluigi posted:

Honestly that doesn't look too much different from the stuff our generation was watching on Newgrounds, though I'll grant that we were mostly at least old enough to read and write on our own before we started rotting our brains on fan parody mashups of our favorite videogames and anime memes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

This is worth raising with the education goons in SAL.

No it isn't, I don't need to feel dumber than I already do :smith:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4GTOkQstc

Holy poo poo yeah, can you imagine seeing something like this on newgrounds in 1998? thank goodness we were all much smarter then

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 14, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Do you think, perhaps there is a connection between you personally not having a smart phone and you being unable to imagine a problem with allowing children to delegate all their higher thinking functions to cell phones for years and years and years? What I'm saying is that you, someone who has avoided smartphones for decades, is probably not the best person to judge how smartphones affect people.

And I'm speaking as someone who has a smartphone, but uses it almost entirely as merely a phone. No texting, no social media, no videos, absolutely no selfies.

I still had a computer and could use that just fine to look things up. It’s not really that much different. Hell, I even had a laptop so I could look things up on the go! The problem isn’t the smart phones themselves, but just that kids don’t like to do homework and tests and all that. I was commenting that people were blaming the failures of children on things like this for decades already, like to video games, computers, and TV in general (I heard all of these, in fact).

pencilhands posted:

Holy poo poo yeah, can you imagine seeing something like this on newgrounds in 1998? thank goodness we were all much smarter then

Yeah this is basically indistinguishable from any pre-smart phone internet humor.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 14, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Kchama posted:

Do you really not see a difference between that and this?

D&D is a profoundly creative, interactive exercise. Rock music, while more one-directional, is still an artistic pursuit that carries emotional weight.

Newgrounds probably did make you all a bit dumber, but at least it was limited to a few hours on an actual computer, not being pumped into your eyeballs at every possible second from the time you’re old enough to hold things, and your brains had already had a few years to develop.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 14, 2024

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The phones are very distracting in class in a way laptops or calculator games aren't, but people aren't getting their brains rotted because they can google stuff on their phone.

I don't think dumb cartoons are rotting anyone's brain either, but someone should start a moral panic about the gross Hero Wars youtube ads.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People aren't having their brains rotted because they can look things up on their phone; they're having their brains rotted because their phone will present them with content whenever they want it and it programs them away from doing more complex things.

I can tell that my attention span has suffered since smart devices became a thing. It's suffered a lot.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Do you really not see a difference between that and this?

D&D is a profoundly creative, interactive exercise. Rock music, while more one-directional, is still an artistic pursuit that carries emotional weight.

Newgrounds probably did make you all a bit dumber, but at least it was limited to a few hours on an actual computer, not being pumped into your eyeballs at every possible second from the time you’re old enough to hold things, and your brains had already had a few years to develop.

It’s basically just like TV. That means as long as you watch okay stuff and don’t overdo it, it’s fine. The main issue is that it is hard to regulate them in classrooms, because parents don’t want their kids out of potential contact with them. Without that it is just like any other entertainment, and is generally several different sources of interaction. Video games and TV are artistic in their own way. It’s just like anything else, make sure it is done in proper moderation.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Kchama posted:

It’s basically just like TV. That means as long as you watch okay stuff and don’t overdo it, it’s fine. The main issue is that it is hard to regulate them in classrooms, because parents don’t want their kids out of potential contact with them. Without that it is just like any other entertainment, and is generally several different sources of interaction. Video games and TV are artistic in their own way. It’s just like anything else, make sure it is done in proper moderation.

Right, and I guess what I’m saying is that the stuff isn’t OK, and they are overdoing it. In this instance I’m talking about kids under 5 with those endless YouTube shorts.

Like even with TV, there was some nominal quality control. Someone on salary had to decide to allocate funds to production and distribution. And while the dismantling of those gatekeepers had given us some great Art, it’s also given us a shocking amount of audio visual diarrhoea.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

socialsecurity posted:

I keep seeing this and it's bullshit, China's government has severe privacy issues and complaining about it is not Sinophobia. Sinophobia gets thrown around a lot around certain parts of this site for any criticism of China, it's an obvious way to try to derail the argument and make it about something it isn't. It's the same as yelling Anti-semitism at every criticism of Israel.

See also EU complaints about the US lack of privacy laws or the Patriot Act, except China is *way* worse. There's *some* limits on government data collection in the US. There's none in China I've ever been shown.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

Honestly that doesn't look too much different from the stuff our generation was watching on Newgrounds, though I'll grant that we were mostly at least old enough to read and write on our own before we started rotting our brains on fan parody mashups of our favorite videogames and anime memes.

yeah i think the issue is the immediate saturation of all their early mental development with absolute mind cancer

i dont think back in the Good Ol Days i could be at the food court at sams club and realize that 80% of parents i'm looking at just shove a thinkpad laptop in front of their literal toddlers to watch newgrounds for five plus hours a day, and we all just have to wait and see what today's raised-on-tablets toddlers gon be like

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Yes, D&D is the discipline of a true renaissance thinker! Oh, I guess learning to play an instrument or participating in the local music scene is better than nothing if you don’t have the chops for adventuring.

Edward Mass posted:

I don't know what the five chemical reactions are, but in my defense I was never good in science class. Now, ask me about Bertolt Brecht and I know my poo poo.

(no one asks me about Bertolt Brecht)

I’ll bite. Tell us about Bertolt!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
None of y'all remember the cat dance? Badger badger badger? Salad fingers? These were things that entertained most of us when we were grown rear end adults or at least close

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

None of y'all remember the cat dance? Badger badger badger? Salad fingers? These were things that entertained most of us when we were grown rear end adults or at least close

The dancing baby made it on to Ally McBeal

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah the dumb poo poo isn't the problem. We all looked at dumb poo poo like this. Even actively sought it out since the search engines back then were non-existent or flat out sucked.

The problem is the search engines and platforms now will bubble you with this or worse type of content, where its all you see if search for stuff. You need someone to break you out of the bubble to look at differing sources or just to think of other stuff.

But if that someone is the parents who are both working full time jobs all the time and the internet/tablet is their baby sitter because they're too poor for anything else then you might catch at least a little brain rot.

This problem has been brewing for a long time. Arguably its a big part of the reason why so many R olds are brain wormed once they really got into the internet and that started years ago.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Five Year Plan posted:

I’ll bite. Tell us about Bertolt!

Bertolt Brecht is probably my favorite playwright, having written the Threepenny Opera and Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny. He believed in Epic Theater, and by that I mean theater that espoused large ideas rather than being a large production (like the Ring cycle). Despite being a leftist, he was never a member of any Communist Party. You might know his lyricism from this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB__mz4KGC8

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Bertolt Brecht is probably my favorite playwright, having written the Threepenny Opera and Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny. He believed in Epic Theater, and by that I mean theater that espoused large ideas rather than being a large production (like the Ring cycle). Despite being a leftist, he was never a member of any Communist Party. You might know his lyricism from this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB__mz4KGC8

Thanks, I’m glad I got to learn something about an artist like this. Theater isn’t really my domain, so it’s that much more interesting to hear about the approach of somebody less universally known. When you say Bertolt Brecht dealt in “large ideas,” do you mean that the plays (musicals?) had kind of an ideological bent? Or did you mean “large ideas” in the sense of “dealing with questions of philosophy or the human condition?”

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

I can't say if Tiktok spies or not but I do think other countries actually should keep an eye on America and Americans because of the history of wars, conflicts and other insane stuff they have been involved in. Do I really have to go into detail or can I just say Trump or Israel.

If the United States is willing to be complicit in a genocide in Palestine what else are they capable of.

The United States is an extraordinary country. The United States ran an anti-communist extermination program that resulted in the intentional mass murder of leftists or people that were accused of being leftists in at least 22 countries during a 45 year time span.

The United States is special. The United States is the only country in the world that has used the atom bomb in a war.

Unfortunately the United States of America is a belligerent and violent entity that poses a threat to people in the rest of the world.

You would have to give me very good reasons why Trump and his supporters should not be surveilled by the rest of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Craig K posted:

i literally screamed the phrase 267 MILLION VIEWS WHAT THE gently caress

and yes i don't know if it's just Kids These Days Raaargh but seeing like three and four year olds with tablets in their hands loving terrifies me

Don't worry, 267 million kids didn't watch that video. Its a open secret that the content sludge farms use giant bot networks to fake views and game the algorithm for their stuff.

Why YouTube doesn't do anything to stop these content farms from blatantly faking views and earning countless advertising dollars from it? :shrug: I guess if advertisers don't care their lovely penis pills and insurance are being marketed to babies they also don't care if they're being marketed to robots.