Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Tbh Stellar Blade looks like it has gameplay I'd like to try but the juvenile anime tits and arse have turned me away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Literally how I’ve been browsing for a decade. I honestly don’t even know when I got my av, I accidentally tapped my profile a month or two ago and noticed I had one and a title 🤷‍♀️

congrats, your av owns

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

JBP posted:

Tbh Stellar Blade looks like it has gameplay I'd like to try but the juvenile anime tits and arse have turned me away

There are so many jrpgs out there that I'm sure I'd thoroughly enjoy but will never play because of the absurd character designs.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I just checked to see if I still had that weird random avatar from a few months ago and am happy to see I'm back to my normal blank state. Was that previous one only temporary? Or does it mean someone purchased a blank avatar for me? Thank you to whoever it was, if so.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just got to the point in Ultros where you are not only replanting this world but manicuring it and I'm starting to understand the difference between the 9 hour finish runtime and the 33 hour completionist runtime. Either that or I'm just lost with either too little or too much visual information to find my way around effectively.

There's weird poo poo going on in this game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, if taken to a certain degree, sure. Sometimes it becomes a person's entire personality. I think for me it's kind of in the same realm as discussing mass layoffs, the move toward digital media, or the line of inspiration vs. originality in a franchise. There's nothing I can do to influence any of those things, they don't have much influence on what I actually play, and if someone gets pushy about any of those topics it becomes annoying. But it's not like I feel nothing about them. In fact, they're interesting subjects and I like being aware of and discussing all of them.

I was talking about the dudes who think the boob game is their anti woke torch to carry.

people who get way too into that poo poo on either side do annoy the hell out of me in general though. However I wasn't aiming that post at anyone here or anything.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
SIFU seems like an awesome game, but I just can't get the combat to click for me. I've read a bunch of guides and looked at videos, but blocking is really difficult. I will try to 'get good', but eventually I will bust things down to easy mode so I can at least experience the rest of the game without getting a stress headache.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

henpod posted:

SIFU seems like an awesome game, but I just can't get the combat to click for me. I've read a bunch of guides and looked at videos, but blocking is really difficult. I will try to 'get good', but eventually I will bust things down to easy mode so I can at least experience the rest of the game without getting a stress headache.

It's a really fun game so yeah drop it down and play it out if that suits you. It really tested me trying to beat it. Once it clicks it really clicks but it honestly took me a while to work out compared to other action games.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

henpod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeVl3wl1Esg

i found this dude's channel when doom eternal was fresh and he dropped a bunch of content around different/advanced strategies and just a bunch of commentary overall and i ate it all up. i watch his stuff regularly bc he tends to like games with high skill ceilings and he publishes a lot of videos with strat guides that are really intricate and, imo, makes a game's more difficult aspects feel less difficult to understand or grasp. you might dig this.

e: he talks about how he tries to expose some of the mechanics the game does a bad job of explaining on its own, which i think is the right way to help new players.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I forgot to rear end Unicorn Overlord to the list of games I'd like to play before Stellar Blade

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lmao what an unfortunate typo

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Lmao what an unfortunate typo

It's ok the thread has been mostly asschat anyways

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The town environments in Rebirth...I don't know how they did it...they successfully managed to evoke the painted background feeling of FFVII, the variance in layout, baked lighting, color, objects, architecture, scale, selective interactivity, and even more interestingly low resolution assets sometimes play into it to...whew

I can't even imagine how much concept art was made for this game, or how layered the iterative process must've been when designing every single house, just an insanely rich application of UE4, with a scale and level of diversity you usually only see from proprietary, heavily customized software engines.

And just as with OG FF7, Remake/Rebirth manage to be capture this weird, uneasy vibration of traditional or old-school techniques right next to more emergent stuff.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Agreed on all of that , you have great insights into these games and explain them well!

I was wondering why Chadley and MAI were yelling at me so drat loudly tonite, glad I’m not crazy and it was just the firmware update lol

I’ve been working on the chapter where you get Cait Sith and I absolutely adore this character. He’s so fun to play! Huge upgrade from OG FF7 Cait. Big moogle is super clutch sometimes, I got a sick win against Tonberry King and his crown when the big moogle just did his thing even with Cait dead!!

Cannot stop loving this game!!!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/ScourgeHH/status/1768042048056066063?t=M0PidU6Jq3QP2Zm7yyYXiA&s=19

Lmao 10/10 no notes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The town environments in Rebirth...I don't know how they did it...they successfully managed to evoke the painted background feeling of FFVII, the variance in layout, baked lighting, color, objects, architecture, scale, selective interactivity, and even more interestingly low resolution assets sometimes play into it to...whew

I can't even imagine how much concept art was made for this game, or how layered the iterative process must've been when designing every single house, just an insanely rich application of UE4, with a scale and level of diversity you usually only see from proprietary, heavily customized software engines.

And just as with OG FF7, Remake/Rebirth manage to be capture this weird, uneasy vibration of traditional or old-school techniques right next to more emergent stuff.

So they final achieved real HD towns huh.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

it already activates hard mode irl

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I was talking about the dudes who think the boob game is their anti woke torch to carry.

people who get way too into that poo poo on either side do annoy the hell out of me in general though. However I wasn't aiming that post at anyone here or anything.

Internet is full of weirdos and each year it adds more and more weirdos. We're at a point now were these weirdos turn out to be actual 14 year olds on all sides who are rallyed up by whatever dipship yter/twitch/twitter grifter is current. I have no idea how to deal with any of that poo poo but boy am i glad my lol "role models" when i was young were trent reznor and henry rollins lol (and still are :colbert: )

The real problem with this is the grifters who are leading them all into fash bullshit amd how easy they can get deluded into falling down that rabbit hole

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 14, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

So they final achieved real HD towns huh.

It's more than that, it's weird. Like, we know part of the weakness of designing in the HD/UHD era is how images can now have so much detail that they can obscure context and legibility, even in motion. One of the results of this conundrum are things like interactivity shorthand, eye catching yellow handholds and such (which this game also has in various spots). I think another result is that as visual fidelity has been scaling up and texture detail has intensified for backgrounds it's become enormously expensive to have every asset be consistently high resolution AND interactive, breakable, or obey physics properties. The devs here clearly set out some very clear boundaries for the experience. Some materials like chairs, small tables, planters, debris, and clutter have physical properties, and everything else is static and non-interactive. NPCs have partial interactivity, crowding and such.

But that said, the devs also made the call that the barrier for texture detail would be quite low, in some cases wildly low, because money is going into other things as well to bring the whole together: voice acting of NPCs, baked lighting, bespoke animations, myriad musical cues, etc. The benefit of this soft focus and rather low bar for texture resolution is that many environments have an almost preposterous amount of unique material assets, and unlike other games with more expensive HD assets and textures where you might see way more repetition, Remake ends up having tons of city-sizes diorama carnivals, with little rooms that all have wonderful individually tuned lighting characteristics. Little paintings. The overall effect, similar to the original, is greater than the sum of its parts. Scrutinize any particular object too closely and you might get an awkward bargain bin feeling, but back up a bit and breath it all in, live in it, and it's like nothing else out there, all flavors working in harmony with characters that still legibly pop within the visual landscape. The experience is much more visually cohesive than I would've thought possible with this scale and level of environmental diversity.

THIS is the lesson of the Remake door texture ;)

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 14, 2024

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

It's more than that, it's weird. Like, we know part of the weakness of designing in the HD/UHD era is how images can now have so much detail that they can obscure context and legibility, even in motion. One of the results of this conundrum are things like interactivity shorthand, eye catching yellow handholds and such. I think another result is that as visual fidelity has been scaling up and texture detail has intensified for backgrounds it's become enormously expensive to have every asset be consistently high resolution AND interactive, breakable, or obey physics properties. The devs here clearly set out some very clear boundaries for the experience. Some materials like chairs, small tables, planters, debris, and clutter have physical properties, and everything else is static and non-interactive. NPCs have partial interactivity, crowding and such.

But that said, the devs also made the call that the barrier for texture detail would be quite low, in some cases wildly low, because money is going into other things as well to bring the whole together: voice acting of NPCs, bespoke animations, myriad musical cues, etc. The benefit of this soft focus and rather low bar for texture resolution is that many environments have an almost preposterous amount of unique material assets, and unlike other games with more expensive HD assets and textures where you might see way more repetition, Remake ends up having tons of city-sizes diorama carnivals, with little rooms that all have wonderful individually tuned lighting characteristics. Little paintings. The overall effect, similar to the original, is greater than the sum of its parts. Scrutinize any particular object too closely and you might get an awkward bargain bin feeling, but back up a bit and breath it all in, live in it, and it's like nothing else out there, all flavors working in harmony with characters that still legibly pop within the visual landscape. The experience is much more visually cohesive than I would've thought possible with this scale and level of environmental diversity.

Quoting this awesome post

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When you engage in bootery, the cheeks come back to clap.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So anyone looking forward to rise of the ronin next week? I know I'm trying to finish the ff7r story at least before then.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

henpod posted:

I haven't played it in like a year so I'm way out of practice, but I remember feeling that way at first, too. I think everyone does. Don't worry about it too much and just keep at it. What really helped me was playing the first stage over and over and over until I could get past it without dying once. Eventually barely even getting hit.

Also, blocking is the worst defensive option. You have to use a mix of all 3, but try to block as little as possible. Like 1 or 2 hits at the most, then go for the Avoid or Parry. Eventually you want to think Avoid first, then by the end of the game it becomes more Parry -> Avoid -> Block as the last "oh poo poo" option.

Avoiding gets easier as you learn the enemies, and the only thing that matters is whether an attack is high or low. Outside of bosses, enemy attacks are like 90% high. You'll quickly learn which ones have low attacks, and they usually come at the end of a string.

It feels really good to go from bumbling fighter, to avoiding nearly everything like a kung fu movie, to eventually parrying most attacks and walking through levels like an endgame boss. Typing all these words has got me wanting to go back to the Arena DLC so I'll be struggling right along with you while I shake the rust off.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ineffiable posted:

So anyone looking forward to rise of the ronin next week? I know I'm trying to finish the ff7r story at least before then.

I'm probably going to break down and buy it with my ill-gotten gambling gains. I should pick up Wo Long on sale first, but the Stranger of Paradise-style co-op has me interested. And I want to see how Team Ninja handles an open world. I'm guessing it will be messy, but I generally love their messes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ineffiable posted:

Out the same day as DD2 rip

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think I'm grabbing Dragon's Dodogama 2, but for the first time in a while for a game I'm hyped on I'm also thinking of...not grabbing it, or at least not yet. I don't really want it to just sit on my shelf and be ignored, nor do I want to rush myself in Rebirth. My lesson after 2023 was to stop treating the hobby like a job, just slow down and enjoy poo poo rather than getting through to say I did.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help colonel I’m trying to fight the aliens but I’m dummy thicc and the clap of my rear end cheeks keeps disabling my shield

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sakurazuka posted:

Out the same day as DD2 rip

Kinda cool to see a DD game being the big release overshadowing others. The announcement didn’t appear to garner that much attention, but now everyone looks hyped.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually, both overshadowed by Princess Peach: Showtime double rip

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Lmao, i love it when they do this poo poo :allears:

https://twitter.com/DragonsDogma/status/1768261233130582197?t=x0Bi3yAQWVZNJxjauUemSg&s=19

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 14, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When I noticed that the grass and stuff in remake was static I didn't think anything other than "they loving did it" because both games somehow look exactly like final fantasy 7.

When you take in a scene with the different resolution pieces and stuff it all looks like 1997 in the best way possible.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

You laugh, but this is going to be the gaming equivalent of DBZ's hyperbolic time chamber for horny chuds.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mysterious frankie posted:

You laugh, but this is going to be the gaming equivalent of DBZ's hyperbolic time chamber for horny chuds.

Nah, once it comes out they're going to find a nit to pick that actually means it's a betrayal of everything they thought it stood for

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

henpod posted:

It really clicked with me when I realized a lot of the enemies' combos have a fairly consistent rhythm, which makes timing easier. It can vary but it's enough that it helps you learn the movesets. Special enemies and bosses vary the rhythm up a lot more but they're still consistent, there's just more to learn.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The hi def textures oddly mismatched with prominent ultra low res textures in Rebirth looks more or less exactly like Jedi: Survivor after its early performance patch, when the team was trying to rapidly claw back performance. Previously hi def textures replaced by N64 stuff that would never load into anything higher on prominent features, with hi def assets still right next to them. They eventually clawed the detail back, but it was like that for a long while.

Texture streaming is one of the big bottlenecks with the iterations of UE both games were using and people have been pulling examples of pre-release material having higher res textures in many areas of rebirth… so it seams likely that its just a result of trying to maintain steady performance in the final polishing stage.

It’s cool if some people have found a way to appreciate the mismatch aesthetic. I can’t really see the painterly interpretation of it myself, but it’s preferable to having performance dips. I presume part 3 will be using a newer iteration of the engine, so I hope it will be able to take advantage of lumen and nanite to maintain higher fidelity throughout the experience.

Anyway, I just rolled credits on the game. Did all the side quest and major activities. Final time was 75.5 hours. Fun game. Big improvement on Remake for me. After the first game I was hesitant to play the second, but the second definitely has me ready for the third. I’ll go back in for the hard mode chapter replays sometime down the road.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Based Lovejoy

https://x.com/dragonsdogma/status/1768261233130582197?s=46&t=FevCpxsjIWdlja6JbbXT5g

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
https://x.com/sebbaku/status/1768155178903978034?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-4no0aMa8k

also its 63GB, which is pretty lol since the steam version of both is around 13GB combined

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait, am I understanding that right.

They launched their game with 192 slots available to play online.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eurogamer: "Players also reported they were unable to create their own servers, despite the option being enabled in the game."

oopsie woopsie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Think of all the server costs they're saving when nobody is playing the game in two weeks, because there are no servers. The big brains in EA!