Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

the holy poopacy posted:

Hmm, no jokers for sale, I guess I might as well open a tarot--can get a head start on boosting my deck, maybe pull a random joker or get some extra money...

that happened to me with spectral cards. i forget what they were but both wanted jokers and i had none.

Darke GBF posted:

holds R fug dis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God I finally unlocked all the jokers + vouchers. The hardest for me were 100 million and ante 12, which I finally got on an abandoned deck run. Turns out the reduced deck size makes it way easier to consistently hit your Steel + Red Seal cards with Death/DNA/Spectral.

Now I've gotta actually, you know, buy every joker, but I don't have to do anything for that and can take my time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DrHammond posted:

Were you just juicing the gently caress out of campfire with rerolls?
Got it up to 9.5 at one point.

I got rocket at the very end of Ante 1. The mask card was made foil at one point, so I kept it because I couldn't find anything else, even with all my rerolls and 3 items per shop, that gave more than 50 chips. Similarly, Fibonacci would have eventually been better suited by a straight mult of some kind, especially the one that works off used planets (Despite selling so many planets, I used a lot of planets.)

Edit,
Wait, is there a planet joker? There's definitely a tarot one....

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 14, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Imagine randomly getting this seed:

https://youtu.be/6UxTuvkZTs8

Elman fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 14, 2024

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elman posted:

Imagine randomly getting this seed:

https://youtu.be/6UxTuvkZTs8

I need this person to have some/all of the following jokers:
-Blackboard
-Arrowhead
-Wrathful

Probably gets you through even "debuff Spades" since the mult should be good enough without card effects right? Or do they not trigger the jokers?

Veryslightlymad posted:

Edit,
Wait, is there a planet joker? There's definitely a tarot one....

There's a joker that gains x0.1 mult per Planet card used (doesn't count Black Hole, since that's a Spectral), is that what you mean? Another creates a Planet card.

EDIT: Well uh, pray for reroll voucher/joker, but man that seems fun to play, would love to be dropping flush fives all day.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 14, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I need this person to have some/all of the following jokers:
-Blackboard
-Arrowhead
-Wrathful

Probably gets you through even "debuff Spades" since the mult should be good enough without card effects right? Or do they not trigger the jokers?

There's a joker that gains x0.1 mult per Planet card used (doesn't count Black Hole, since that's a Spectral), is that what you mean? Another creates a Planet card.

Debuffed cards don't trigger jokers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1768233118333272447

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

there's something primally hilarious about this image

it wasn't even the four cards or the missing in-betweens that got me. it was the ace being a club

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't really think it would hurt the game to give a final score as much as the public info exists but its probably a lot of effort. I'd play a mod with it.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Did not expect this to be the combination that got me through gold stakes, but hey I'll take it!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Burglar is so loving great in high stakes because it gets you back one of those hands you lost from losing a discard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Missing my favourite thing about four finger straight flushes (the 4 cards that make it a flush don't have to be the same 4 cards that make it a straight)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
This game really dug its claws in me, I cannot stop thinking about card strategies and discussing it with my friends.

A Redditor transcribed the AMA with the dev into an easy to read post for those interested: https://old.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1bebf1g/balatro_developer_ama_transcript/

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Panzeh posted:

I don't really think it would hurt the game to give a final score as much as the public info exists but its probably a lot of effort. I'd play a mod with it.

The complication would be that many effects are probability based, so it would either have to display a wide range or not display if you have lucky cards or one of a few jokers.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Mesadoram posted:

This game really dug its claws in me, I cannot stop thinking about card strategies and discussing it with my friends.

A Redditor transcribed the AMA with the dev into an easy to read post for those interested: https://old.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1bebf1g/balatro_developer_ama_transcript/

thank goodness, I finally know how to pronounce balatro

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

thank goodness, I finally know how to pronounce balatro

:hmmyes:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Got through my first gold stake win with Blue Deck yesterday. Bonus, I got a gold sticker on Cartomancer because it showed up in the shop as negative and I had enough money to buy it.

Also, a pretty good vid about jokers in gold stake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V1KQlcwy2M

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kuros posted:

Got through my first gold stake win with Blue Deck yesterday. Bonus, I got a gold sticker on Cartomancer because it showed up in the shop as negative and I had enough money to buy it.

Also, a pretty good vid about jokers in gold stake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V1KQlcwy2M
Pretty good list. I would legit put vagabond in S that card is not fair (though half the time I miscalculate and lose from greeding an extra proc so maybe A is right?)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

Burglar is so loving great in high stakes because it gets you back one of those hands you lost from losing a discard.

It gets you an extra 5 cards drawn, it converts unspent discards to income, and it completely shits on two fairly nasty bosses (The Water and The Needle.) It can be annoying against The Hook since it denies you any reliable way of shaping your hand, but if you have reasonably reliable hands then that's one of the easiest bosses anyhow.

I guess it can kind of suck against the... whichever boss charges you $1 per card played. But you're still likely coming out ahead financially from the discards you get to cash in on.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Also if you get Brainstorm or Blueprint it's loving hilarious.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

the holy poopacy posted:

It gets you an extra 5 cards drawn, it converts unspent discards to income, and it completely shits on two fairly nasty bosses (The Water and The Needle.) It can be annoying against The Hook since it denies you any reliable way of shaping your hand, but if you have reasonably reliable hands then that's one of the easiest bosses anyhow.

I guess it can kind of suck against the... whichever boss charges you $1 per card played. But you're still likely coming out ahead financially from the discards you get to cash in on.

How does it poo poo on the needle? The needle can instantly kill your run with that joker.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

How does it poo poo on the needle? The needle can instantly kill your run with that joker.

Burglar gives you +3 hands after the needle sets you to 1.

EDIT: This interaction is not at all transparent, granted, since the needle's description is "You can only play 1 hand" and not "Your hands are reduced to 1."

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 14, 2024

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

EDIT: This interaction is not at all transparent, granted, since the needle's description is "You can only play 1 hand" and not "Your hands are reduced to 1."

It was very bizarre and confusing when I got needle on my gold stakes with Burglar run last night. I really thought something broke in the game

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Speaking of interactions like that, I was doing the challenge where you only have 1 hand and I bought the voucher that gives you -1 hand and lowers the ante. My hand actually dropped to 0 and I was scared for a moment, but you still get 1 hand when you enter a round so it was fine.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Thanks for sharing. Not at all surprised to see that gold stake is the #1 complaint about this game. gently caress gold stake.

Also I'm glad the creator is on the correct side of not having a score preview. Modders will make that a reality, and having one available in-game would mean you're handicapping yourself to not use it and the game is much more exciting to me with that hint of unknown.

quote:

For example, one of the criticisms I heard a few times is that this game is worse because it lacks a story/characters.

Who are these clowns that think the game would be better with a story/character? :psyduck:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Relyssa posted:

Thanks for sharing. Not at all surprised to see that gold stake is the #1 complaint about this game. gently caress gold stake.

Also I'm glad the creator is on the correct side of not having a score preview. Modders will make that a reality, and having one available in-game would mean you're handicapping yourself to not use it and the game is much more exciting to me with that hint of unknown.

Who are these clowns that think the game would be better with a story/character? :psyduck:

Hard-on-their-luck VAs looking for work.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

We've got Jimbo the Joker, what more do people want???

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

the holy poopacy posted:

loving hell I’ve sold burglar every time thinking I would have to make a hand from just what I was dealt. Wow.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Relyssa posted:

I think Jimbo should have more lines. Beyond that lmfao wtf

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Relyssa posted:

It's a little sad that this is a common expectation.

Not every game needs to be an epic cinematic experience :colbert:.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i was actually quite relieved that this game has no story or other poo poo and you can Just Play It or watch people without worrying about spoilers

i do wish jimbo had more lines and appearances, though. they should put in an option like old Hoyle Card Games that let you turn up how talkative he is, from "shows up at the end only" to "clowns on every single hand you play"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
🃏 Looks like you should've dropped that Deuce!

(e: q!e)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
jimbo should be telling me his gently caress up philosophy and showing me grisly crime scene photos

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

i was actually quite relieved that this game has no story or other poo poo and you can Just Play It or watch people without worrying about spoilers

extremely same

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Finally did a run where I got Obelisk (x0.2 mult per consecutive hand played without playing your most played poker hand) to be worth something. It's just such an awkward card to use, but I think its at its best as a pivot joker when you're already running a flexible build. This run I was leaning pretty heavily on full houses, but the second obelisk came up I was able to easily pivot to 4 of a kind and take extreme advantage of that xMult. Only had 10 Full Houses played, but between Two Pair/X of a Kinds I was able to play a whole bunch of hands without any of them becoming my most played hand.

Oh, and then I was able to Brainstorm it to top it all off. x4.4 mult squared is pretty good, actually!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arzaac posted:

Finally did a run where I got Obelisk (x0.2 mult per consecutive hand played without playing your most played poker hand) to be worth something. It's just such an awkward card to use, but I think its at its best as a pivot joker when you're already running a flexible build. This run I was leaning pretty heavily on full houses, but the second obelisk came up I was able to easily pivot to 4 of a kind and take extreme advantage of that xMult. Only had 10 Full Houses played, but between Two Pair/X of a Kinds I was able to play a whole bunch of hands without any of them becoming my most played hand.

Oh, and then I was able to Brainstorm it to top it all off. x4.4 mult squared is pretty good, actually!

I had a great spare pants + obelisk run the other day. Spammed two pairs until the pants were up to 50 or so mult and then just stopped playing two pair to rack up obelisk bonuses. By this point I had enough multiples in the deck that I could hit full houses pretty reliably, so I didn't even have to completely stop scaling the pants.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I am far too much of a simpleton to get used out of obelisk

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Does obelisk reset if you play a most-played hand, or does it just stop accumulating additional xmult?

I assumed it was the former, but if latter it might be busted and I need to try.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

DrHammond posted:

Does obelisk reset if you play a most-played hand, or does it just stop accumulating additional xmult?

I assumed it was the former, but if latter it might be busted and I need to try.

It resets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah it resets whenever you play your most played hand. Before you score it, to rub salt in the wound.

To really use it you either need to get it early enough that you can spam like high card for 12 hands, or be at a good point to pivot away from your most plated hand.

(Also gotta be careful if high card is your most played hand because a whiffed draw could easily wipe that mult.)