Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DO IT AGAIN! AND AGAIN!

fml Kubrick Ghost is exhausting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

One of the late night phone calls was Kubrick telling King that he thought ghost stories were inherently optimistic because the existence of ghosts meant consciousness continued after death.
That’s kinda a nice way to think about it. Someone should have told that to 8 year old me so I didn’t poo poo my pants at the idea of ghosts.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was there ever any confirmation by Kubrick that he made the calls?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

FreudianSlippers posted:

One of the late night phone calls was Kubrick telling King that he thought ghost stories were inherently optimistic because the existence of ghosts meant consciousness continued after death.

I think it would be amazing and hilarious to get random fact or philosophical musings phone calls from Kubrick out of the blue.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

FreudianSlippers posted:

This has always been my view. I grew up reading Sagan and was interested in dispelling hoaxes, how cults work, etc. But I’ve never had the zealotry a lot of myth busters display. Ghosts are the best example, I will argue against their existence even while I hope someone could prove them real because then there is an afterlife and the primary existential dread we deal with is settled. That would be so freeing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It never occurred to me to check if the Shining was filmed in the UK (most of it was), so Kubrick would've probably made his calls in daytime without bothering to care what time it was in the US.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ah the reverse Tolkien

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alan Smithee posted:

ah the reverse Tolkien

I don't know the story behind this so I'm just going to assume Tolkien stayed up late to call friends in the USA and even through his natural British stuffiness they could tell he was dead tired and told him to just call earlier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

davidspackage posted:

It never occurred to me to check if the Shining was filmed in the UK (most of it was), so Kubrick would've probably made his calls in daytime without bothering to care what time it was in the US.

The exterior of the Overlook is a hotel in Oregon that's apparently pretty cool, has a way more interesting interior and history.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Going to the Ghost Bureau after I die hoping to get assigned something cool like “Slain soldier eternally fighting the battle of Gettysburg” and instead getting “Poltergeist that occasionally jingles the silverware in a house built in 1984”.

Do you think you have to do exactly the same moves every battle or is it different each time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The real hotel that inspired Overlook is haunted by YouTubers making travel/horror content.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The MSJ posted:

The real hotel that inspired Overlook is haunted by YouTubers making travel/horror content.

Jack Torrance and Co. got them? You'd think they'd be to annoying for the hotel to want to add them to their ghoul'ish ado forever and ever and ever.

Like way to annoying.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1767930013813195230?t=cu_qsHicfOBFqhyeBwk6SA&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is this about Frankie

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hi it’s me, Zachary Levi, star of Harold and the Purple Crayon. In this movie I play a kid who has a crayon that makes everything he draws real. But you know what isn’t real? *sits on chair backwards* The COVID-19 vaccines

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is the purple crayon what he uses to create his Shazamily?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Her Dryer posted:

Do you think you have to do exactly the same moves every battle or is it different each time.

If I'm remembering my very real and true ghost knowledge (from Ghost Adventures), a violent death generally means you're replaying that moment over and over like a time loop.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

seriously what is this. why would you make Harold an adult instead of just, y'know, adapting the goddamn books

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bc Levi thinks he’s good at playing a child

He’s not

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

CelticPredator posted:

Bc Levi thinks he’s good at playing a child

He’s not

He gives off awful vibes for this sort of thing, way to smarmy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barry Convex posted:

seriously what is this. why would you make Harold an adult instead of just, y'know, adapting the goddamn books

Because, as proved by the box office smash Hook, the way you make a nostalgia piece is to make the main character a bitter adult version.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Flying Zamboni posted:

He gives off awful vibes for this sort of thing, way to smarmy.

Yeah. He was a bad choice for Shazam. Honestly someoen like Andy era chris Pratt could’ve done it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Because, as proved by the box office smash Hook, the way you make a nostalgia piece is to make the main character a bitter adult version.

Ah, what a film. So good! And now to just look up the box office returns...

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I feel like the giant purple dildo look is intentional, but I know nothing about the franchise, so I don't know if I should be laughing, cringing, or mortified

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a kid's book about a kid who finds a crayon and draws like a little path to walk down or a boat and pretends to sail on it. It is basically nothing aside from "kid draws pictures and pretends to be in them."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

What the gently caress

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Levi is going to draw his imaginary friend Jesus into existence.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Trying to calculate how many years ago this movie would have starred Adam Sandler.

Zac Levi is no Adam Sandler.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Maybe they shouldn’t make it at all?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hi it’s me, Zachary Levi, star of Harold and the Purple Crayon. In this movie I play a kid who has a crayon that makes everything he draws real. But you know what isn’t real? *sits on chair backwards* The COVID-19 vaccines

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's a kids book for literal babies and the most grow'd up thing I can associate it with is once in D&D we ended up with the purple crayon and it was among our most powerful magic items.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's a kids book for literal babies and the most grow'd up thing I can associate it with is once in D&D we ended up with the purple crayon and it was among our most powerful magic items.

Did it wind up in a butt

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

Did it wind up in a butt

Mostly doors, Beetlejuice style. They didn't take a lot of lines; we needed a boat once but we realized it would use up the whole crayon to draw something that large and complicated.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Trying to calculate how many years ago this movie would have starred Adam Sandler.

Zac Levi is no Adam Sandler.
As someone who hasn’t liked anything Sandler has done for the last 20 years, I still think he’d have been a better choice.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not even Uncut Gems?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I think Sandler did make this movie, it was called Bedtime Stories and it's basically a fine and totally forgettable movie that's very much for kids.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Not even Uncut Gems?
It was a loud unpleasant slog that he did nothing to enhance. For the most part I tend not to like movies where someone makes bad decisions for 2 hours with a few exceptions. The introductory scene in the African mine kind of got my hopes up, but the rest of the movie just sucked.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

People making increasingly bad decisions is the hallmark of a good comedy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Casimir Radon posted:

It was a loud unpleasant slog that he did nothing to enhance. For the most part I tend not to like movies where someone makes bad decisions for 2 hours with a few exceptions. The introductory scene in the African mine kind of got my hopes up, but the rest of the movie just sucked.

hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I only like media that has intelligent characters masterminding through problems, like YuGiyoh