Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I bought a minidisc player today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I bought a Sports Walkman on ebay this week, probably overpaid for one that "worked great" and was physically in good shape. Got it in the mail yesterday, and audio is just completely broken on it. High pitch 1 second blast when you hit play, and then muffled and distorted playback. Tried half a dozen tapes and several pairs of headphones with no luck. Pretty bummed, it looks great next to my Soundburger but I want to actually play tapes on the thing.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Does it make the same noise when you try to play without a cassette in there?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LimaBiker posted:

Does it make the same noise when you try to play without a cassette in there?

I didn't actually test that, I'll give it a shot after work today. Seller offered a full refund for return or partial refund and I keep it. If it's fixable for not too much $$/effort that would be cool.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

If it stops making the sound, the issue is likely sticky dirt/residue on the tape heads and guides. Sticky tapes happen less with cassettes than with open reel tapes, but it can still happen.
Clean every part that touches the tape with cotton swabs and ethanol/isopropanol/wodka, then try playing a tape again - preferably one that plays well in other cassette players.

If you don't have another player, gently touch the tape with a dry finger, degreased with the above solvents. If the tape sticks to your finger it's likely getting moderately sticky and it can cause the squeal.

If it keeps making the noise, it's likely the electronics, and that might be a lot harder to repair if you don't already have some experience, or have someone irl to help you with it.

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Mar 14, 2024

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have watched enough techmoan to tell you to check the drive belts (made from rotting rubber) and to spray som contact spray into the volume knob pots.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

...and also to buy a home unit if you want to play cassettes at home.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I do have my old dual deck Sony player from the early 90s that also isn't currently working. I'll have to ask around to see if I know someone with a currently operable deck. The Sports Walkman was 90% to look cool next to my Soundburger on a shelf, and 10% to play my old concert bootlegs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I do have my old dual deck Sony player from the early 90s that also isn't currently working. I'll have to ask around to see if I know someone with a currently operable deck. The Sports Walkman was 90% to look cool next to my Soundburger on a shelf, and 10% to play my old concert bootlegs.

Big ones are much less fiddly to repair.

Except when they're not!!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Cheap big ones are the worst. I had a double cassette deck with one single motor for the two decks, and some long belts to drive everything.
I never got that one running well on *both* mechanisms. If i did not put the belt over the right mechanism, it would run acceptable for a cheap deck. With both mechanisms driven, it would have unacceptable wow and flutter. But everything seemed fine.

I got rid of it soon after figuring that out. Worthless piece of poo poo.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just spent the evening fixing the eject mechanism on a Sony MDS-JB980 minidisc player.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

evobatman posted:

Just spent the evening fixing the eject mechanism on a Sony MDS-JB980 minidisc player.

Nice! That reminds me that I've also got a broken minidisc player that needs fixing at some point too hah. I think I'm just going to have to git gud at fixing this stuff myself.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

Nice! That reminds me that I've also got a broken minidisc player that needs fixing at some point too hah. I think I'm just going to have to git gud at fixing this stuff myself.

If it helps, I just did this, dirt simple if you order the right belt on eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-KWJatb440

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I always wanted that gamegear tv tuner situation.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

At a Train and Hobby show all weekend, made my table an Atari themed one

The 800 isn't mine, I'm borrowing it from a friend. The 800XL and 1040STe ran fine all day, no issues except for a couple of times the STe needed a reset as it ran out of memory

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Indonesia still had analogue TV up until 2023, so I thought about taking a game gear there while i was on holiday. But my game gear has an lcd mod so the tv tuner won't work on it anyway.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffpFw-Mfido

If you're not subscribed to Usagi Electric, you should be. Dude repairs and restores old minicomputers and terminals for museum work and fiddles around with them, everything from DEC boxes to esoteric brands no one remembers in 2024.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Seems like a perfect terminal...

for me to code on!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

You Am I posted:

At a Train and Hobby show all weekend, made my table an Atari themed one

The 800 isn't mine, I'm borrowing it from a friend. The 800XL and 1040STe ran fine all day, no issues except for a couple of times the STe needed a reset as it ran out of memory

Did you run any of the Atari games about trains? People used to make a lot more games about trains and there are a lot of them that ran on Atari hardware.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Desert Bus posted:

Did you run any of the Atari games about trains? People used to make a lot more games about trains and there are a lot of them that ran on Atari hardware.

You know, I didn't even think of that. Sadly A-Train didn't come out on the ST.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

You know, I didn't even think of that. Sadly A-Train didn't come out on the ST.

Aww that's sad.

Second question: Do you feel more normal after being around a bunch of train people?

Slavik
May 10, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

My only experience with it was to huddle around one during work to watch the Football World Cup back in 2002. Was such a pain to keep a signal and a good viewing angle all while wrestling with the limited power cable length. I can only imagine how disappointing it would of been to use travelling with batteries.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I caught half an episode of Golden Girls that was bathed in static on a car ride during a vacation with the Game Gear tv tuner.

It’s the only memory I have of it working because it couldn’t pick up hardly anything in my area.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/MrGoodBits/status/1769421725110821033?s=20

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

God how I wish I could play some CRPGs on that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Desert Bus posted:

Aww that's sad.

Second question: Do you feel more normal after being around a bunch of train people?

They were on a different floor to the rest of us, due to the size of most of miniature train displays. Some had some insane amount of detail, and the fact most of them are modular so it makes it easier to move the sets is mind blowing. Never gonna complain about moving old computers around

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

They were on a different floor to the rest of us, due to the size of most of miniature train displays. Some had some insane amount of detail, and the fact most of them are modular so it makes it easier to move the sets is mind blowing. Never gonna complain about moving old computers around

I've been out of the model train hobby for decades but there used to be meetups where people would assemble and bring a 2-3' x 6-8' (can't remember exact size) module where the only limiting factor was that the tracks going in and the tracks going out all had to be at the same spot so they could link up. So you'd get a small country town that merged into a fantasy land or some kid's display with a bunch of action figures etc.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Desert Bus posted:

I've been out of the model train hobby for decades but there used to be meetups where people would assemble and bring a 2-3' x 6-8' (can't remember exact size) module where the only limiting factor was that the tracks going in and the tracks going out all had to be at the same spot so they could link up. So you'd get a small country town that merged into a fantasy land or some kid's display with a bunch of action figures etc.

Kinda like https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1289159 / https://members.optusnet.com.au/mr.goodpart/balls/balls.htm

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/obsoletesony/status/1769982134603976935?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Christ almighty that thing was a heavy monstrosity.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's twice as much as a GDM-FW900 :stare:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looked pretty cool to play Nintendo on in halt and catch fire.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

they specifically said not to use your Nintendo on a projection TV

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mlnhd posted:

they specifically said not to use your Nintendo on a projection TV

You sound like a cop.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I wonder how bright it was in reality, that picture seems pretty fake

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

A lot of those 3x CRT based projectors used oil for cooling. I am sure that added a lot to the weight.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I cannot get over how much I believe that man is showing his underlings where Bond is hiding

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Speaking of dismantling tech, it's not a relic yet, but Samsung will be discontinuing support for the Gear S3 Frontier with newer phones. Didn't stop me from replacing the battery though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Also, paying the cassette tax: