Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

No. He was an 'analyst' in the 60s, hosed off out of things in the 70s, and in all that time he had about as much say or sway in the design and engineering of aircraft as a paperboy would.

Possibly less.

code:
Sprey claimed to be involved in the design of several military jets, including the F-16, A-10, and F-22. Notably, he was once a harsh critic of the F-22, despite later claiming to have designed it.
Yeah, figure that out. Man was full of poo poo.

The most hilarious part is - they can do both! you can be a dogfighter AND have advanced electronics and weapons.

Its loving moronic. Its part of the reason they put firearms back on modern fighters because they encountered that stuff in Vietnam and needed to be able to dogfight occasionally as well as pop bad guys with a missile from range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
The reformer conman.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

when are we gonna have figher-portable high energy laser weapons for gods sake, I mean c'mon this aint the civil war anymore

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Tai posted:

Your friendly reminder that the guy who spent months on Russian TV making GBS threads on the F-35, Pierre Sprey, wanted the F-15 to have no radar or electronics and wanted it to be a dog fighter like the Spitfire or Hurricane lmao.

He was booted off the F-15 project while getting laughed out the door.

Dumb rear end

If I remember right, he also wanted it to carry a radio you could buy on the open market.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

If I remember right, he also wanted it to carry a radio you could buy on the open market.

Well so he got the Russians to adopt at least one of his aviation stratagems

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sprey is also the tankie go to for dunking on the F-35 so dumbass people attract.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

haddedam posted:

Just like take a b52, slap some ultra ultra long range stealth missiles on it and use some stealth drones to designate targets for it.

Beyond visual range air combat is such an outdated concept. We could do intercontinental air to air.

Ok, Dale Brown.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

haddedam posted:

Just like take a b52, slap some ultra ultra long range stealth missiles on it and use some stealth drones to designate targets for it.

Beyond visual range air combat is such an outdated concept. We could do intercontinental air to air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_DC-130

I mean, if you think about it - a B-52 is already a drone carrier, most of their payloads are long range cruise missiles, effectively, drones.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

So he was one of the reformer dumbasses?

Pretty much the ur-example. He for some reason got a whole bunch of media visibility for his dumb takes.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://x.com/officejjsmart/status/1768289169900523925?s=20

Burns
May 10, 2008

Looks like a typical Russian car accident to me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Just needs Russian Cranberries playing on the radio

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

yeah jokes on y'all, playing a tame russian block party video as if its some warzone

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:piss:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Alan Smithee posted:

Just needs Russian Cranberries playing on the radio

су́ка блядь, пииииисс!!!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
did you blyat to, did you blyat to let it linger ?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

did you blyat to, did you blyat to let it linger ?

Zomblyat, Zomblyat, Zomblyat!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyPHaRHERsM

The delirium got dialed up today. The world is queuing up behind Russia they said lmao. Been waiting for the queue to form for 2 years now.

Billionaire putin wagging his finger about the west lining their pockets with money made me chuckle. Keep on rinsing your country.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I note that Russian national troops have again invaded Russia, and driven away Russian troops from Russian sovereign territory, and are currently holding Russian settlements. Russian aviation has been sent to drive the Russian invaders back, but was shot down by Russian air defense. At least this time Russian artillery has (so far?) refrained from shelling the Russian settlements to drive the Russian troops out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Russia of your Russia is your russia

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's actually very well put.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is a man not entitled to the Russia of his Russia?

Yes, yes he is.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Finland is known for its saunas.
Russia is known for its friendly fires.

naem
May 29, 2011

Russian victory over hated enemy, Russia, inevitable

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Lots of Russian about.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

Is a man not entitled to the Russia of his Russia?

"No!" says the man in Moscow, "It belongs to me!"

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Fools Russian

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Karate Bastard posted:

I note that Russian national troops have again invaded Russia, and driven away Russian troops from Russian sovereign territory, and are currently holding Russian settlements. Russian aviation has been sent to drive the Russian invaders back, but was shot down by Russian air defense. At least this time Russian artillery has (so far?) refrained from shelling the Russian settlements to drive the Russian troops out.

Russia russia russia russia russia

naem
May 29, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

Fools Russian

where angl(o-saxon)s fear to blyat

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

DandyLion posted:

when are we gonna have figher-portable high energy laser weapons for gods sake, I mean c'mon this aint the civil war anymore

Probably sooner than you'd think. I can't remember which company it was (probably being or lockmart) has said that they can make a laser wildly stable/accurate thanks to all the development that has gone into lower powered targeting lasers over the last few decades. On top of that, the 6th gen fighters apparently have "shitloads of power generation" as a design requirement and it's believed that this is in support of lasers that are either already ready to go or will be shortly. Most of the speculation I've seen thinks it's for missile defense rather than offense, but a massive networked formation of fighters each covering each other with air defense lasers would be an absolute nightmare to deal with. The survivability onion would be insane. First you'd have to detect the stealth planes, then get enough of a return to actually get a lock onto them, then get past the maze of lasers shooting down your missiles, with each step of that being insanely difficult.

Meanwhile Russias "5th" gen su57 has the radar cross section of a newer unloaded f18 and can't be fielded in numbers even 2 orders magnitude lower than what NATO could barf onto the battlefield.

Tldr unlike NATO hardware, Putin is a huge price of poo poo.

disclaimer: I have no inside knowledge and all of this comes from watching YouTube videos so maybe it's all bullshit :v:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

mobby_6kl posted:

Russia russia russia russia russia

Russia Russia Russia Russia
Monke! Monke!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zopotantor posted:

Monke! Monke!

:discourse:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Drone strikes in the town of Prokhorovka.

Obi-wan: "Thats a name i havnt heard in a long time."

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe
Vice President of Russian energy company dies 'suddenly' of suicide

https://www.euronews.com/2024/03/14/vice-president-of-russian-energy-company-dies-suddenly-of-suicide

Euronews posted:

Vitaly Robertus, 54, is reportedly the fourth Lukoil manager to die in two years.

Russian news media reported on Thursday the sudden death of Vitaly Robertus, Vice President of the country's oil and gas giant Lukoil, writing that the manager died from suicide in his office this week.

Just before his death, local media wrote that Robertus had complained of suffering headaches and asking for medications before going to his office.

He was later found hanged in the room.

"He didn't leave for several hours and didn’t answer his phone. The employees decided to go into his office and found his body. The top manager died by suicide of asphyxia. He had worked at the company for about 30 years," Baza wrote on Telegram reporting the manager's death.

According to the publication, Lukoil announced the death of Robertus on March 12.

In March 2022, the board of the privately owned company called for an end to the conflict in Ukraine. [emphasis mine]

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Probably sooner than you'd think. I can't remember which company it was (probably being or lockmart) has said that they can make a laser wildly stable/accurate thanks to all the development that has gone into lower powered targeting lasers over the last few decades. On top of that, the 6th gen fighters apparently have "shitloads of power generation" as a design requirement and it's believed that this is in support of lasers that are either already ready to go or will be shortly. Most of the speculation I've seen thinks it's for missile defense rather than offense, but a massive networked formation of fighters each covering each other with air defense lasers would be an absolute nightmare to deal with. The survivability onion would be insane. First you'd have to detect the stealth planes, then get enough of a return to actually get a lock onto them, then get past the maze of lasers shooting down your missiles, with each step of that being insanely difficult.

Meanwhile Russias "5th" gen su57 has the radar cross section of a newer unloaded f18 and can't be fielded in numbers even 2 orders magnitude lower than what NATO could barf onto the battlefield.

Tldr unlike NATO hardware, Putin is a huge price of poo poo.

disclaimer: I have no inside knowledge and all of this comes from watching YouTube videos so maybe it's all bullshit :v:

A Su-57 will never detect a F-35 unless the pilot has massively hosed up. I think it's about 30 miles out that they can detect a F-35. But a F-35 can detect a Su-57 at 200ish (lol) miles. The stealth part of the Su-57 is pure grift and laughable.

edit - lol a Su-57 will detect it a bit under 10 miles. Went and double checked.

Tai fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 14, 2024

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Zopotantor posted:

Monke! Monke!

lol

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Zopotantor posted:

Monke! Monke!

Blyaaaat! Cyka blyat! Oooooh, cyka blyaaaat!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The only pope worth listening to lives in outer space and has the head of a crocodile.

The one true pontiff is Bearpope.

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys

Tai posted:

A Su-57 will never detect a F-35 unless the pilot has massively hosed up. I think it's about 30 miles out that they can detect a F-35. But a F-35 can detect a Su-57 at 200ish (lol) miles. The stealth part of the Su-57 is pure grift and laughable.

edit - lol a Su-57 will detect it a bit under 10 miles. Went and double checked.

A Su-57 will detect an F-35 after the NATO press conference that announces an F-35 shot down a Russian jet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Su-57 could of been a decent plane if they hadn't half arsed. It might not of been as good as the F-35 but you've got 5th gen plane (lol posh 4th gen) that NATO has probably already marked the Su-57 as ''N/A''.