Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
On a yacht somewhere, Scott Boras fistpumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh wow Zavala, too.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1768071021855412528

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Oh poo poo Samuel Zavala too, that’s a nice haul

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

It's especially a pretty good trade for Jose Quintana

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

/u/wetbutt23 and /u/KatyPerrysBootyHole were first

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Could be one of those deals that works out for both teams; Padres get a pretty good SP, keep their top 4 prospects and Preller is good at re-stocking the farm; the White Sox get 3 pretty well-regarded prospects and Wilson is decent and cheap.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The last chapter in this book is the Yankees signing Jordan Montgomery for $40 million more than they would have paid if they'd signed him last month, and I'm here for it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I will never understand the dads

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
AJ Preller making a panic trade in the last week of Spring Training is a tradition.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean they did need the pitching, and they didn’t have the payroll to sign a big FA SP so I think that is a good move

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I wouldn’t call it a panic trade at all. They’re trying to get to 89 wins and this helps them do that. The division is out of reach anyway

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Padres went from maybe the sixth best team in the NL to probably the sixth best team in the NL.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What makes it look like a panic move is it happening this late into spring

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
God the White Sox are going to be absolutely atrocious this year lmao

Bregor
May 31, 2013

This is all conjecture but I feel like it's less of a panic move and more that a lot of teams were trying to get Cease on the cheap, then SP arms started exploding, and the price started going up. Chicago did very well here, I feel like San Diego didn't overpay, and the Yankees are left out in the cold. Win-win-win.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

Dollar dog Wednesdays though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bregor posted:

This is all conjecture but I feel like it's less of a panic move and more that a lot of teams were trying to get Cease on the cheap, then SP arms started exploding, and the price started going up. Chicago did very well here, I feel like San Diego didn't overpay, and the Yankees are left out in the cold. Win-win-win.

Trading Thorpe to Chicago is insult to injury.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Poque posted:

They should sign Monty and Snell

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Bregor posted:

this trade does 100% feel like "oh poo poo the yankees might actually trade jones, give in on thorpe before the prices jumps again"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's a decent trade for 2 years of a 3-4 WAR starting pitcher. It also means that the Soto trade may have provided the Padres with 3 of their 5 starting pitchers.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://x.com/JeffPassan/status/1768101386011513183?s=20

lol Brewers, but my poor fantasy teams :negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That sucks, he’s ridiculously good. Brewers have to be considering a massive tank at this point

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Apparently the team doctors told him that nothing was wrong and he was good to pitch, and he went out and got a second opinion by himself. Couple that with having pitched through the pain last year, and what the gently caress Milwaukee?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

this trade does 100% feel like "oh poo poo the yankees might actually trade jones, give in on thorpe before the prices jumps again"

The tweet from The Athletic said they outbid the Rangers, so kinda.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Sydin posted:

Apparently the team doctors told him that nothing was wrong and he was good to pitch, and he went out and got a second opinion by himself. Couple that with having pitched through the pain last year, and what the gently caress Milwaukee?

Never, ever listen to team doctors.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

more falafel please posted:

Dollar dog Wednesdays though.

The Sox should give out free tickets if you show proof of buying a plane/bus/train ticket to Chicago the same week. Just try to make whatever they can on concessions and merch sold at the ballpark.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Do you think baseball players tip their Tommy John surgeon?

I would

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

The 2024 White Sox:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Mona Lisa Saperstein Reinsdorf has a nice ring to it

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Poque posted:

This isn’t even accounting for the fact they lost Benetti.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Old friend returns
https://x.com/mlbbowman/status/1768321831684210942?s=20

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Eric the Mauve posted:

The last chapter in this book is the Yankees signing Jordan Montgomery for $40 million more than they would have paid if they'd signed him last month, and I'm here for it

And then Monty tears something in his shoulder holding up the jersey for a photo at the press conference....

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Bowman had been hitting the note for so long that the Braves were likely to pick up a bench piece, probably an outfielder, that the only thing less surprising will be when they reacquire Jesse Chavez at some point midseason.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Bowman had been hitting the note for so long that the Braves were likely to pick up a bench piece, probably an outfielder, that the only thing less surprising will be when they reacquire Jesse Chavez at some point midseason.
Might be more than a bench piece:
https://x.com/mlbbowman/status/1768324666664362356?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
does seem like a pretty good idea, Kelenic still looks completely helpless against lefties

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

the pieces are in place, go ahead and hang the banner and plan the parade

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees should probably just go into the season with what they have, see how their kids do and if they are in it at the deadline and are clearly a pitcher short, try to address it then.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Wow,i'm surprised. Not that they would re-acquire Duvall, but they must be hesitant about Kelenic. I understand platoons but it seems like the solution was already in house. Anyhow, Duvall will always go crazy about one month a year so totally worth it.

I am a Braves fan but i'm about to go into my second year living in downtown Denver. Love watching baseball at Coors field, wish the Rockies could compete. Really makes me realize how good the Rays were as an organization. Lived in Central Florida over 20 years and i got used to watching them compete with barely any resources. I mean last year before they lost the entire rotation they probably had a real shot and were still better the the Yankees.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

chilihead posted:

Wow,i'm surprised. Not that they would re-acquire Duvall, but they must be hesitant about Kelenic. I understand platoons but it seems like the solution was already in house. Anyhow, Duvall will always go crazy about one month a year so totally worth it.

I am a Braves fan but i'm about to go into my second year living in downtown Denver. Love watching baseball at Coors field, wish the Rockies could compete. Really makes me realize how good the Rays were as an organization. Lived in Central Florida over 20 years and i got used to watching them compete with barely any resources. I mean last year before they lost the entire rotation they probably had a real shot and were still better the the Yankees.

I feel like the Rockies and Angels are completely hopeless so long as they remain under their current ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees should probably just go into the season with what they have, see how their kids do and if they are in it at the deadline and are clearly a pitcher short, try to address it then.

Snell will still be available