Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

CODChimera posted:

along those lines, i've noticed that "embarrassing Russia" is considered a win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
While their official stated goal was X, some people believe the heart-to-hearts...the kokoro wish was X+∞. Since they only were able to achieve X*2—and at great cost—they have failed in their objective of ∞^2.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

it's kind of remarkable, all the Slava NAFO types have been fixating on individual equipment losses and flaming oil depots while the actual war is being lost bit by bit every day

not surprising for people who see the war in terms of Call of Duty-esque "blow up the enemy tank to win the mission" victories. compare to the enlightened CSPAM mindset which is akin to the MGS5 mission where you have to blow up many many tanks.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Western estimates of Ukraines strength that get put into the media have historically been several shades rosier than the battlefield reality so when western media reports that the AFU could buckle by summer, what does that indicate?

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

my bony fealty posted:

it's kind of remarkable, all the Slava NAFO types have been fixating on individual equipment losses and flaming oil depots while the actual war is being lost bit by bit every day

not surprising for people who see the war in terms of Call of Duty-esque "blow up the enemy tank to win the mission" victories. compare to the enlightened CSPAM mindset which is akin to the MGS5 mission where you have to blow up many many tanks.

A true mgs fan knows that instead of blowing up the tanks you should just fulton them.

The patriots don't want you to know that but tanks are free, I have 458 of them at Mother Base.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Egg Moron posted:

Western estimates of Ukraines strength that get put into the media have historically been several shades rosier than the battlefield reality so when western media reports that the AFU could buckle by summer, what does that indicate?

Admittedly, Biden is attempting to still push a bill through congress. But a lot of is really just going to depend on Russian tempo, and how aggressive do them want to be.

Things are quite bad for the Ukrainians, but the question becomes their manpower burn rate, and if it gets lopsided enough whether the Russians ever pull the trigger.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Mar 14, 2024

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

plz o corrupt putin, wait until after the elections
- a democrat, probably

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Putin is slow rolling it to ensure his favored candidate wins

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mila kunis posted:

Pope Francis: The Ukraine? How many divisions do they have?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

mila kunis posted:

Pope Francis: The Ukraine? How many divisions do they have?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Egg Moron posted:

i dunno i think they were pretty off on the projections of taliban takeover of afghanistan so who knows :shrug:

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

CODChimera posted:

along those lines, i've noticed that "embarrassing Russia" is considered a win

It is not an exaggeration to say Ukraine is fighting a reddit war.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, Biden is attempting to still push a bill through congress. But a lot of is really just going to depend on Russian tempo, and how aggressive do them want to be.

Things are quite bad for the Ukrainians, but the question becomes their manpower burn rate, and if it gets lopsided enough whether the Russians ever pull the trigger.

There is a part of me that has wondered if western media is exaggerating the problems the AFU are having right now to create urgency to pass more funding.

But the coverage's been so sustained for months that it would have to be a very dedicated propaganda strategy.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

euphronius posted:

Putin is slow rolling it to ensure his favored candidate wins

Address to the citizens of Russia • President of Russia

en.kremlin.ru posted:

President of Russia Vladimir Putin: Citizens of Russia, friends,

Tomorrow, March 15, the polling
stations will open across our vast country, and the three-day voting in the presidential election will begin.

This is the eighth time a presidential
election will be held in Russia, which shows the inviolability of the principle
of holding regular elections which is one of the basic principles of a democratic state. The outcome will directly affect the development of the country in the coming years.

This is an important high-stakes event
and, as the incumbent head of state, I believe it is necessary to address you
today.

I would like to emphasise that the people are the only source of power in our country. This key legal provision is
enshrined in the Constitution. It means that only you, the citizens of Russia,
determine the future of the Fatherland.

You will not just cast your vote,
but will firmly declare your will and aspirations, and your personal
involvement in the future of Russia, because an election is a step into the future.

I am confident that you realise that
our country is going through a difficult period, and we are facing formidable
challenges in almost all spheres. In order for us to continue to meet them with
dignity and to successfully overcome difficulties, we need to stay united and confident in ourselves.

We have proven that we can stand
together as we defend Russia’s freedom, sovereignty, and security, uphold our
values, traditions, history and culture, and act in line with what conscience,
truth and justice are telling us. We have our own view on what kind of a country
we want and how we should build it, and what plans we should carry out. Today,
it is critically important not to stray from this path, to achieve what we have
set out to achieve, and to fulfil our ambitious goals.

So, a lot depends on each of you in the coming days. Let me be frank with you: participating in the election today
is a manifestation of patriotism. This is well understood by the residents of Donbass and Novorossiya who, under the most trying circumstances, voted during referendums
on unity with Russia and will make their choice now as well.

Our military on the frontlines will
vote as well. They display courage and heroism, defend our Fatherland, and participate in the elections to set an example for all of us.

It is imperative to confirm our
unity and our resolve to move forward together. Your every vote is valuable and important. So, I urge you to exercise your right to vote during the next three
days. Polling stations will open everywhere, in every city, town, and village
of our large country.

Friends,

All of us, the multi-ethnic people
of Russia, are one big family. We care and worry about our native country. We
want it to flourish, to be strong, free, and prosperous. We want the standard
of living and quality of life to improve. And so it will be. We will do
everything exactly the way we want it.

So, please come to the polling
stations and make your civic and patriotic position clear, vote for the candidate of your choice, and for the prosperous future of our beloved Russia.

Thank you.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
wow this interview posted March 13 is incredibly long high stamina!
Interview to Dmitry Kiselev • President of Russia

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VoicesCanBe posted:

There is a part of me that has wondered if western media is exaggerating the problems the AFU are having right now to create urgency to pass more funding.

But the coverage's been so sustained for months that it would have to be a very dedicated propaganda strategy.

I think a fair amount of it is honest, to be frank, but they are also underplaying certain things like the men Ukraine has in the field and that in fact they do actually have reserves to create a sense of urgency. There are more milita units to throw in and probably some Leopard 1s and other equipment here and there.

If the Ukrainians just didn't have more than a couple units of 30 dudes, the Russians would just walk their way to Kiev. That said rhetorically speaking you probably want to create alarm while things are looking bad but are not catastrophic. There is still a training pipeline for volunteers, and the Ukrainians do have back line forces to pull from as well as conscripts they are pulling. There are obviously at a manpower deficit, but it may be a situation where they still have 10,000s to pull but it is still at a total deficit.The fact that female volunteers are more and more common shows that that isn't completely a smoke screen, though.

Also Mediazona has shown that Russian causalities are rapidly decreasing as the war becomes more and more one sided.

So basically there is probably a critical inflection point, we just don't have the data.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

Russian intelligence is entirely capable of being fuckwits, like everybody else, especially when asked to act on short notice, especially here where the fascist candidate crown was hotly contested like it was in, say, France. Also remember that Putin is in fact a loving idiot who consumed so much of his own brand of Fox News that he actually named and blamed invasion backlash on "cancel culture" and compared himself to JK Rowling.

It doesn't need to be hidden if it's entirely legal and it is in Europe because equivalent foreign election involvement laws are weak due to being configured to let CIA cutouts exist with ease.

russian intelligence didnt even notice western funded banderite groups were seizing control of Ukraine for like 24 years. they are fuckwits

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

BearsBearsBears posted:

If all Ukrainian civilians that Ukraine previously killed in Donbas isn't a good enough causus belli for the west then what makes you think another few dozen or hundred would be?

I was thinking more in terms for the russian populace to accept a quicker pace of mobilization to support a real war from the get go, rather then the skimmed milk approach they did as they realized they couldn't force a quick conditional surrender.

A few weeks of "Ukraine is genociding our brethren in the Donbas" could've possibly readied them for harsher short term actions immediately as the war broke out, rather then the gradual mobilization of industry, but it would've probably required a bodycount similar to the one in Gaza for it to matter.

The west will never accept anything they haven't dictated. I mean, "casus belli" has always been mostly an internally motivated affair.

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Mar 14, 2024

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
"Vote!" - Vladimir Putin

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fanfic insert posted:

russian intelligence didnt even notice western funded banderite groups were seizing control of Ukraine for like 24 years. they are fuckwits

they probably did but didn't think it was a big deal

much like the American religious right are basically funding a load of culture war stuff here in the UK and everyone knows it but doesn't care

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Our Western partners would never betray us like that.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

"Vote!" - Vladimir Putin

Hes such an ur-liberal.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Regarde Aduck posted:

much like the American religious right are basically funding a load of culture war stuff here in the UK and everyone knows it but doesn't care

Not just there. American Protestants with all of their snake handling and culture war have appeared all over Africa, Latin America and Asia.

There's also Yank evangelicals trying to break into Canada. Quite a few megachurches have popped up since the 5 mainline jaffas are on their back foot.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Egg Moron posted:

They're buckling right now OP

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Homeless Friend posted:

Russia is about to learn why Europeans have free healthcare

God I wish.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

Russia is about to learn why Europeans have free healthcare

which europe is this and how do I get there

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's something of a cruel twist of fate that one of Russia's biggest issues going into the 2022 invasion was that they underestimated just how ideologically committed Ukraine's government had become to fight to the very last.

Russia's own propaganda emphasized the capture of the state by Banderites but apparently the Rusaian government didn't believe it as much as they should have.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ukriane wasn’t committed to fight to the last in 2022

Russia was correct in that

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

January 6 Survivor posted:

If russian intelligence is reading my bad posting first I'd like to say I'm sorry bu also if you need someone to assassinate members of NAFO, all you need is to send me a PSS integrally suppressed pistol and I will do it for the gun nerd satisfaction.

gently caress that, I ain't getting out of bed for less than a VSS and a spam can of 9x39

e: and an autographed poster of the Putster

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dokapon Findom posted:

I personally like Boris Johnson

The gently caress? Mods?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Orange Devil posted:

The gently caress? Mods?

he fights for all of us

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

You fight umpteen orcs, what do you get?
An IOU in crayon and a plate in your head

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nickel and dimeing their soldiers partway through a disastrous war is not going to help morale and keep those middle aged men in the trenches.

If soldiers' families aren't taken care of if they're killed (because they're just designated MIA) or if they're wounded (because of the above antics), then they will be more inclined to just go home.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

euphronius posted:

ukriane wasn’t committed to fight to the last in 2022

Russia was correct in that

Boris Johnson was only the final push, a lot of time and money went into bolstering the Banderites in the years prior to ensure Ukraine would not seek an early peace agreement the way Georgia had in 08.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That’s part of the danger of these NGOs. Using gay rights to spearhead USAID or NED initiatives is going to blow back on the community even of only a tiny group are compradors actively working with the west.

yeah, and making queer rights the calling card of the imperial west is why otherwise very useful and thoughtful writers at e.g. moon of alabama or nakedcapitalism occasionally feel the need to let out a transphobic rant with only the most tenuous connection to anything else they're talking about. A (much less extreme) version of the same effect you see with anti-imperialist anti-zionism being used to whitewash outright antisemitism (good god don't even read the comments at moon of alabama if you're squeamish about antisemitic conspiracy theories)

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's not any less stupid but i think this is more likely. they knew, they just didn't understand how much of a problem that would be

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

God he is such a lib.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SplitSoul posted:

You fight umpteen orcs, what do you get?
An IOU in crayon and a plate in your head

No. You owe the government. Only one person saw the injury that required that plate in head surgery.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

drat Putin ftw

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'm voting Putin in 2024 (November)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is pretty impressive to look at just how much stuff was given to Ukraine, which of course is intact and merely standing idle: 198 M777s, 163+ M109s of various types, 72 Polish "Krabs", 49 Ceasar systems, 28 Panzerhaubitze 2000. They had 1000+ various Soviet-era SPGs before the war and another 1,000+ towed guns. It isn't exhaustive either.

So sad that they just need more ammo.