Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Professor Beetus posted:

None of y'all remember the cat dance? Badger badger badger? Salad fingers? These were things that entertained most of us when we were grown rear end adults or at least close

I mean I don’t disagree fully but a lot of that stuff was creative and something different. Plus a bunch of those newgrounds artists went on to be bigger artists and or make shows of their own. The ones I hate are the content farms that poo poo out crap that steals from other artists or creators to make weird dumb lazy poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6xsF3-aB8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

I can't say if Tiktok spies or not

Put your betting odds then. Like the amount of money you'd wager for real that they don't

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Staluigi posted:

Put your betting odds then. Like the amount of money you'd wager for real that they don't

Please don't, goons don't understand betting odds

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Please don't, goons don't understand betting odds

I want to cover the money line with the under/over via spread parlay.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nervous posted:

Yeah, that's what happens when you're nervous

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's a pretty qualitative difference between rock and roll, TV, early internet etc. and modern electronics. Kids have their entire lives on electronics today. Socializing takes place on social media, play takes place on an app, communicating is on a smart phone, and huge amounts by text. They'll send TikToks to each other for voice and stuff but it's not the majority. Seriously, if you have a kid just listen for an evening how often they actually talk directly with another living person their age. Listening to YouTube's doesn't count. poo poo's wild and way different from previous human experience.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean I don’t disagree fully but a lot of that stuff was creative and something different. Plus a bunch of those newgrounds artists went on to be bigger artists and or make shows of their own. The ones I hate are the content farms that poo poo out crap that steals from other artists or creators to make weird dumb lazy poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6xsF3-aB8c

Also Newgrounds content was simplistic because it was being made by actual teens, as opposed to procedurally generated YouTube sludge.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

bird food bathtub posted:

Seriously, if you have a kid just listen for an evening how often they actually talk directly with another living person their age. Listening to YouTube's doesn't count. poo poo's wild and way different from previous human experience.

My niece and nephew went all-virtual for school with covid and never went back in person, and afaik their social lives have gone entirely digital. They're good kids, but I'm wondering what effect this is going to have in the long run for their social lives.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

shoeberto posted:

My niece and nephew went all-virtual for school with covid and never went back in person, and afaik their social lives have gone entirely digital. They're good kids, but I'm wondering what effect this is going to have in the long run for their social lives.

Number's gonna go up

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

https://twitter.com/SenFettermanPA/status/1767637753137656163

I don’t see it being the motivation for every politician voting for the Tiktok poo poo but Fetterman’s 180 on Tiktok is deffo Palestine-related :yikes:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Number's gonna go up

i can believe it. i wouldnt be shocked if some of it was also related to people working from home more. I work from home fulltime and because of hours, i dont get out much outside the weekends, alot of my friend circles are discord groups and a couple close irl friends. but i am also a goon.

SaTaMaS posted:

Also Newgrounds content was simplistic because it was being made by actual teens, as opposed to procedurally generated YouTube sludge.

this. like yeah there was lots of trash on newgrounds that rotted my brain, but i am pretty sure blowing way to much time on encyclopida dramatic did me worse then idk homestarrunner.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 14, 2024

dweepus
Nov 25, 2021
I feel conflicted on stuff like this because, yeah I watched a lot of brain rotting newgrounds-esque stuff when I was a kid in the 00's, and spent basically all of my free time on the internet, and I don't wanna tell my kids they can't do those things and be a hypocrite. But it WAS different then. That kind of content wasn't practically infinite like it is today, there were really only a handful of flash animators in the grand scheme of things. And even just incidentally you did learn computer skills by hanging out on the internet, how to navigate computer controls and the internet at large, problem solving when the inevitable Vista errors got between you and RuneScape. I'm not saying it was good for us, but there were more positives than 'Press app icon and have a flood of garbage beamed into your eyeballs for hours'. Not to mention, newgrounds and similar sites were created by artists or other nerds as a place to create and share, whereas Tiktok/YouTube/IG Reels (lol) are engineered to get you hooked into a dopamine rush feedback loop
The creators on those platforms know that and absolutely aim to take advantage of that especially with children.

Websites for sharing creative content made typically by and for dumb kids and teenagers to laugh at while at the computer after school is quite different from apps designed to addict children and serve them the most brainrotting content possible, even if the content itself is not so different between the two.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dweepus posted:

I feel conflicted on stuff like this because, yeah I watched a lot of brain rotting newgrounds-esque stuff when I was a kid in the 00's, and spent basically all of my free time on the internet, and I don't wanna tell my kids they can't do those things and be a hypocrite. But it WAS different then. That kind of content wasn't practically infinite like it is today, there were really only a handful of flash animators in the grand scheme of things. And even just incidentally you did learn computer skills by hanging out on the internet, how to navigate computer controls and the internet at large, problem solving when the inevitable Vista errors got between you and RuneScape. I'm not saying it was good for us, but there were more positives than 'Press app icon and have a flood of garbage beamed into your eyeballs for hours'. Not to mention, newgrounds and similar sites were created by artists or other nerds as a place to create and share, whereas Tiktok/YouTube/IG Reels (lol) are engineered to get you hooked into a dopamine rush feedback loop
The creators on those platforms know that and absolutely aim to take advantage of that especially with children.

Websites for sharing creative content made typically by and for dumb kids and teenagers to laugh at while at the computer after school is quite different from apps designed to addict children and serve them the most brainrotting content possible, even if the content itself is not so different between the two.

its also the algo/capitalism/audiance demand encourages shittier and shittier stuff. like how alot of those family vlogs end up being hosed up and toxic at best and daddy of 5 level abuse because the dad or mom or both end up being narsstic psychos or end up chasing dollars for clicks and views and end up doing awful poo poo because its what the audiance wants.

also content farms absolutly check and see what clicks for kids. its why a ton of them jumped from stealing fnaf/icon horror games content to stealing amazing digital circus. it goes for anything that will get clicks.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

For a lot of us, too, our formative experiences around The Computer had a lot of factors that ultimately gated exposure levels. There was probably only 1, at a physical desk you had to go sit at, not a pocket-sized that goes everywhere with you. You had to ask if you can connect to the internet, since it would busy out the phone line, it wasn't perpetually connected at all times. Everything used to be slow as hell too, the computer itself, the internet connection, even if you were viewing harmful content all day every day, so much less of it could actually make it to your screen than nowadays. Finally, and this might sound more tenuous but don't immediately discount it, everything looked like poo poo back then, too. Screens were dull, color rendition was bad, etc. Somewhere deep in your lizard brain, there's a component that loves bright and colorful things.

Anyway, all these factors worked together to make it such that you could only be exposed to a fraction of the content, good or bad, that a child in 2024 is. Even if you would go on to have a computer job all day, and then come home and sit in front of a different computer at night, these were at least habits being developed much later in life, not when you're 5 years old. If I had to guess, there will be a disconnect between parents and their children, where the parents will seek to limit the amount of the child's screen time, and not understand how psychologically difficult it is for the child, because the parents' own lived experience was that limiting screen time was not that hard.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

single-mode fiber posted:

For a lot of us, too, our formative experiences around The Computer had a lot of factors that ultimately gated exposure levels. There was probably only 1, at a physical desk you had to go sit at, not a pocket-sized that goes everywhere with you. You had to ask if you can connect to the internet, since it would busy out the phone line, it wasn't perpetually connected at all times. Everything used to be slow as hell too, the computer itself, the internet connection, even if you were viewing harmful content all day every day, so much less of it could actually make it to your screen than nowadays. Finally, and this might sound more tenuous but don't immediately discount it, everything looked like poo poo back then, too. Screens were dull, color rendition was bad, etc. Somewhere deep in your lizard brain, there's a component that loves bright and colorful things.

Anyway, all these factors worked together to make it such that you could only be exposed to a fraction of the content, good or bad, that a child in 2024 is. Even if you would go on to have a computer job all day, and then come home and sit in front of a different computer at night, these were at least habits being developed much later in life, not when you're 5 years old. If I had to guess, there will be a disconnect between parents and their children, where the parents will seek to limit the amount of the child's screen time, and not understand how psychologically difficult it is for the child, because the parents' own lived experience was that limiting screen time was not that hard.

Having had to make-do with a 4 color CGA screen and dual floppies when I was a kid, I am still amazed at the graphics and video capabilities of my cell phone.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I hadn't heard about Sen. Menendez in a while and it turns out there have been some updates in the last couple of days.
Sen. Bob Menendez and wife plead not guilty to latest obstruction of justice charges

www.cbsnews.com | 2024-03-11 posted:

NEW YORK -- New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez and his wife, Nadine Menendez, pleaded not guilty to new obstruction of justice charges Monday. 

Menendez and his wife stayed silent as they entered Manhattan federal court after they were charged in an 18-count indictment last week

The couple is accused of taking bribes from three New Jersey businessmen, including $500,000 cash stuffed in envelopes, gold bars and a Mercedes-Benz, for political favors.

The latest indictment alleges they tried to make bribes look like loans. 

"Once again, not guilty your honor," Menendez told the judge Monday. 

Businessman Jose Uribe recently pleaded guilty and told a judge he gave the senator's wife a car to influence him.

Uribe claims he met with Nadine Menendez after search warrants were executed on the couple's home and agreed to call bribes loans. He said he will cooperate with investigators.

Businessmen Fred Daibes and Wael Hana also pleaded not guilty Monday.

Wael's attorney Lawrence Lustberg said his client is not cutting a deal. 

"My client is not going to plead guilty or cooperate. He's not guilty and he's going to be acquitted at trial," said Lustberg. "That one cooperator doesn't have much to say about him. But to the extent he does, we are confident that we can impeach his credibility." 

Menendez, who said he will not resign, is also charged with acting as a foreign agent for the government of Egypt, which Hana allegedly has ties to. 

"His actions will be shown not to be for the benefit of the government of Egypt," said Lustberg. 

During the arraignment, we learned the government plans on calling fingerprint and DNA experts at trial, which is scheduled to start May 6.

Sources close to Menendez, a Democrat, told CBS New York reports he is not running for reelection are false. Walking out of court, Menendez said he hasn't ruled out running as an independent. 

The senator's next court appearance is April 30.   
## What's in the new indictment against Sen. Menendez and his wife?

According to new court documents, Menendez's wife met with Uribe after federal investigators executed search warrants at the couple's home and, during the meeting, they allegedly discussed payments for a Mercedes-Benz convertible he gave her after prosecutors allege the senator agreed to try to influence the prosecution of someone close to Uribe. During their meeting, prosecutors said Uribe agreed he would tell investigators the car payments were loans. 

The couple has been charged with obstruction of justice for allegedly falsely characterizing the return of bribe money as repayment for loans.

Menendez called the latest charges "an abuse of power" and insisted he is innocent. 

"The government has now falsely alleged a cover-up and obstruction," he said in a statement. "The latest charge reveals far more about the government than it says about me. It says that the prosecutors are afraid of the facts, scared to subject their charges to the fair-minded scrutiny of a jury, and unconstrained by any sense of justice or fair play."

Menendez, his wife, and the other two businessmen pleaded not guilty to the previous set of charges against them. 

What would it take to expel him from the senate Santos-style?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mawarannahr posted:

What would it take to expel him from the senate Santos-style?

Exactly the same as Santos- 2/3 of the Senate voting for it

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
They're not going up remove him. He's already said he's not running for the seat this year.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

James Garfield posted:

The phones are very distracting in class in a way laptops or calculator games aren't, but people aren't getting their brains rotted because they can google stuff on their phone.

I don't think dumb cartoons are rotting anyone's brain either, but someone should start a moral panic about the gross Hero Wars youtube ads.

The problem is that they have unrestricted access to Google in their pocket all the time from long before they learn how to figure things out without Google - and often long before they're old enough to develop basic impulse control at all. During those years of early brain development when their brains are learning for the first time how they should interact with the world, having Google and apps at their fingertips from before they even figure out how to read is probably not a good idea. Yeah, it turns out the math teachers who told us "you won't have a calculator with you all the time" turned out to be dead wrong, but I think it's still good that I learned how to do basic arithmetic without whipping out my phone.

Kchama posted:

It’s basically just like TV. That means as long as you watch okay stuff and don’t overdo it, it’s fine. The main issue is that it is hard to regulate them in classrooms, because parents don’t want their kids out of potential contact with them. Without that it is just like any other entertainment, and is generally several different sources of interaction. Video games and TV are artistic in their own way. It’s just like anything else, make sure it is done in proper moderation.

When we were kids, there were only so many TV shows we wanted to watch, they had set times that didn't change, and we could only really watch what we wanted if we were at someone's house. We couldn't cram literally every unoccupied moment with TV, and we'd get bored and go off and do something else when the good shows were over. We couldn't watch TV in the car, we couldn't watch TV during break between classes, we couldn't watch TV at restaurants or while hanging out at the mall with friends or between sports games or whatever.

When I was a kid, I had to deal with being bored sometimes. If we were on a long car ride or in a waiting room or if my parents were chatting with someone or if I was in a break between classes, I had to sit around and find a way to deal with not having entertainment at my fingertips. I don't have to do that very often anymore, because if those things are happening I can just whip out my phone most of the time. But I still spent those crucial brain development years developing ways of coping with not being able to whip out my phone and entertain myself. Even if I don't need to use those coping mechanisms very often these days, it's still good to have them. But kids these days aren't necessarily getting that opportunity. During those early years when they're learning how to interact with the world around them and function in society, they're learning that they never have to be bored - and thus they're not learning how to cope with being bored.

Hell, that's not even the worst of it. Kids these days are living their social lives on social media basically from the first day they even have social lives that aren't largely dictated by their parents. They're cyberbullying each other on social media by the time they're in middle school. That's concerning not just because that's bad, but also because it's happening during those years when their brains learn how social interaction works. Social media is going to be a natural part of day-to-day real-life socialization for them in a way it never was for us, and that's terrifying.

The kids are going to have fundamentally different ways of interacting with and understanding the world than we do, and that's concerning. Look at how many adults - even the millennials, who should be the most mentally prepared to deal with this stuff - are getting their brains turned to complete mush by algorithmic bullshit and glorified gambling systems. How are the kids, who're growing up knowing no other type of entertainment or socialization besides that stuff, going to handle life? It's not a very comforting thought.

dweepus
Nov 25, 2021

single-mode fiber posted:

I'm a bit worried about this personally, we just had our first kid recently and I plan on being a little-to-no tablet parent, allowing our child computer access but not smart devices/attention apps like tiktok. Which I feel will be kind of easy to do for the first few years, but what happens when she goes to school and she may be the only kid not spending all day glued to an iPad watching Amongus Digital Circus Squid Game Skibidi Toilet compilations? How do I fight against that? Thankfully I do see a lot of young parents (even some who grew up as iPad kids) claiming that they want to avoid this as well, so at least I'm not alone. Anyway I don't mean to derail the thread, there's a parenting thread in A/T for that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

haveblue posted:

Exactly the same as Santos- 2/3 of the Senate voting for it
Looking into the matter, it seems Sen. John Fetterman, called for his expulsion as recently as January, but none of his Democratic colleagues have yet. It's kinda lovely they're dragging their feet on this. Maybe the new findings will encourage them to hurry up?

Fetterman again calls for Menendez to be expelled • Pennsylvania Capital-Star

penncapital-star.com posted:

U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.) is re-upping his call for his colleagues in the United States Senate to remove U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) from office, following the latest revelation that the New Jersey Democrat has been accused of accepting bribes to benefit Qatar

“Now, accused of selling his honor and our nation for a $24,000 watch.  Accused as a foreign agent for *two* nations. How much more before we finally expel @SenatorMenendez ?,” Fetterman posted to X, the social media website formerly known as Twitter, late on Tuesday night. 

Fetterman’s office did not respond to the Capital-Star’s request for additional comment. 

On Tuesday, federal authorities issued a new superseding indictment against Menendez over the allegations relating to his involvement with Qatar’s government. 

Menendez was first indicted in September, for conspiring to act as a foreign agent for Egypt. He was charged with four counts of corruption and bribery.

Menendez’s attorney Adam Fee described the latest allegations as a “stink of desperation” and claimed that the New Jersey senator “acted entirely appropriately with respect to Qatar, Egypt, and the many other countries he routinely interacts with.”

Fetterman was the first member of the U.S. Senate to call for Menendez to resign, following the first indictment in September. 

“He’s entitled to the presumption of innocence under our system, but he is not entitled to continue to wield influence over national policy, especially given the serious and specific nature of the allegations,” Fetterman said in a statement in September. “I hope he chooses an honorable exit and focuses on his trial.”

Many Democrats joined Fetterman’s call for Menendez to resign, including U.S. Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) and U.S. Rep. Madeleine Dean (D-4th District).

But thus far, Fetterman is the only Democrat to call for Menendez’s expulsion from the Senate. In December, when Republican George Santos  was expelled from the U.S. House, Fetterman said on the TV show The View that Menendez “did more sinister kinds of things,” and questioned why Santos was expelled but Menendez was not.

Fetterman’s campaign paid Santos to record a video via Cameo trolling Menendez.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

The only way it seems completely unmoored is if you haven't been paying attention to any mainstream politics since 1949 or so. Since the day the Chinese Civil War ended, the US has regarded China as a dangerous geopolitical adversary, and concerns about Chinese espionage have grown considerably in the last decade or two as more and more US electronics have been built on Chinese hardware and software, and especially in the last eight years since Trump blew up US-China relations.

I know this is a bit pedantic and like its for something from 4 pages ago but I think its a bit important to clarify that approximately between like, 1949 (or rather more like 1952) to around 1979 I think largely (and ignorantly) the US mostly viewed China as an extension of Moscow/International Communism; the idea that there could be serious disagreements and splits between communist countries and political divides wasn't readily factored in until Kissinger/Nixon had the bright idea of seeing if they could woo China away from the USSR. During the 80's the US and China were kinda allied, the CIA was allowed to setup a listening outpost in Manchuria to spy on the USSR; its only with the collapse of the USSR and China's economic miracle started to overtake Japan as the economic threat to the US as Japan's Lost Decade fully set in and there was basically no one else remaining the US could use as a geopolitical rival (and of course China doing its own things to escalate and aggravate the US) that the US started to view China as a dangerous geopolitical adversary.

In the 1950s to 1970s period China was inarguably way too poor and militarily weak for the US to more specifically view China as a threat beyond the way it was perceived to be in Moscow's camp and would join with Moscow if any hostilities were to break out, i.e such as during the Cuban Missile crisis where Mao pledged China was ready and willing to go to war if hostilities broke out.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dweepus posted:

... How do I fight against that? ...

Don't own a tablet, model good behavior (don't veg out on your phone in front of them), limit computer time, and if they ask for a tablet you say "no" then ground them if they whine about it.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/14/former-treasury-secretary-mnuchin-is-putting-together-an-investor-group-to-buy-tiktok.html

A new right wing billionaire Tiktok buyer has appeared!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
honestly thinking about it; if the materials used to make cell phones/tablets were used sustainably/acquired ethically, we probably wouldn't even be in the situation where most kids are able to have a tablet/cell phone in the first place

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the solution to content farms is upload fees. (oh and also a account creation fee and decent record keeping and kyc and dd stuff for payouts)

like the tech addiction is a complicated problem the but it should start as close to the source as possible and not this THINKOFTHECHILDREN crap because adults are tech addicts themseleves and if kids see their parents or adults doing screen time why shouldnt they?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Chuck Schumer calling for the people of a Middle Eastern country to rise up and overthrow their leader.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1768278140776775747
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1768279055705530613

quote:

Schumer Says it is Time for New Leadership in Israel, Calling Netanyahu an Obstacle to Peace

The top Senate Democrat, the highest-ranking Jewish elected official in the United States, spoke from the Senate floor to condemn Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and to call for elections to replace him.

Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, on Thursday delivered a pointed speech on the Senate floor excoriating Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel as a major obstacle to peace in the Middle East and calling for new leadership in Israel, five months into the war.

While many Democratic lawmakers have condemned Mr. Netanyahu’s leadership and his right-wing governing coalition, and President Biden has even criticized the Israeli military’s offensive in Gaza as “over the top,” Mr. Schumer’s speech amounted to the sharpest critique yet from a senior American elected official — effectively urging Israelis to replace Mr. Netanyahu.

“I believe in his heart, his highest priority is the security of Israel,” said Mr. Schumer, the highest-ranking Jewish elected official in the United States. “However, I also believe Prime Minister Netanyahu has lost his way by allowing his political survival to take precedence over the best interests of Israel.”

He added: “He has been too willing to tolerate the civilian toll in Gaza, which is pushing support for Israel worldwide to historic lows. Israel cannot survive if it becomes a pariah.”

Mr. Schumer’s speech was the latest reflection of the growing dissatisfaction among Democrats, particularly progressives, with Israel’s conduct of the war and its toll on Palestinian civilians, which has created a strategic and political dilemma for Mr. Biden. Republicans have tried to capitalize on that dynamic, hugging Mr. Netanyahu closer as Democrats repudiate him.

The majority leader’s remarks came a day after Senate Republicans invited Mr. Netanyahu to speak as their special guest at a party retreat in Washington. Senator John Barrasso of Wyoming, the No. 3 Republican, invited Mr. Netanyahu to address Republicans virtually, but he could not appear because of a last-minute scheduling conflict. Ambassador Michael Herzog, Israel’s envoy to the United States, spoke in his place.

On Thursday, Mr. Schumer was careful to assert that he was not trying to dictate any electoral outcome in Israel. And he prefaced his harsh criticism of Mr. Netanyahu with a long defense of the country, which he said American Jews “love in our bones.” He said there has been an “inaccurate perception” of the war that has laid too much blame on Israel for civilian deaths in Gaza without focusing enough on how Hamas has used Palestinian civilians as human shields. And he said he understood how difficult it was for traumatized Israelis to contemplate the possibility of a two-state solution at this time.

But, he said: “The Netanyahu coalition no longer fits the needs of Israel after Oct. 7. The world has changed — radically — since then, and the Israeli people are being stifled right now by a governing vision that is stuck in the past.”
Mr. Schumer said the only solution to the decades-old conflict was a two-state solution: “a demilitarized Palestinian state living side by side with Israel in equal measures of peace, security, prosperity and dignity.” He said Mr. Netanyahu, who has rejected the idea of Palestinian statehood, was jeopardizing Israel’s future.

“At this critical juncture, I believe a new election is the only way to allow for a healthy and open decision-making process about the future of Israel, at a time when so many Israelis have lost their confidence in the vision and direction of their government,” he said, noting that the majority of the Israeli public “will recognize the need for change.”

“As a democracy, Israel has the right to choose its own leaders, and we should let the chips fall where they may. But the important thing is that Israelis are given a choice. There needs to be a fresh debate about the future of Israel after Oct. 7.”

Mr. Schumer’s speech marked the second time he has addressed the Israeli-Hamas war from the Senate floor in a significant speech. In November, Mr. Schumer made a deeply personal speech condemning the rise of antisemitism in America that has flared since Israel began retaliating against Hamas for its Oct. 7 terrorist attack against defenseless Israeli civilians.

That speech appeared to be mostly aimed at members of his own party; he warned that some liberals and young people were “unknowingly aiding and abetting” antisemitism in the name of social justice.
On Thursday, his speech was aimed squarely at Mr. Netanyahu and far-right members of his governing coalition, who Mr. Schumer said were falling short of Jewish values.

“He won’t disavow Ministers Smotrich and Ben-Gvir and their calls for Israelis to drive Palestinians out of Gaza and the West Bank,” Mr. Schumer said. “He won’t commit to a military operation in Rafah that prioritizes protecting civilian life. He won’t engage responsibly in discussions about a ‘day after’ plan for Gaza, and a longer-term pathway to peace.”

Mr. Schumer said that if Mr. Netanyahu and his current coalition remained in power, “then the United States will have no choice but to play a more active role in shaping Israeli policy by using our leverage to change the present course.”

McConnell condemns his speech calling it "unprecedented" and hypocritical interference in foreign politics.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1768298299138666681

Unclear what the practical effect will be, but McConnell is right that it is technically unprecedented.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

the solution to content farms is upload fees. (oh and also a account creation fee and decent record keeping and kyc and dd stuff for payouts)

like the tech addiction is a complicated problem the but it should start as close to the source as possible and not this THINKOFTHECHILDREN crap because adults are tech addicts themseleves and if kids see their parents or adults doing screen time why shouldnt they?

yeah, like i think some of the stuff is obviously bad for kids like weird sex pervert poo poo or psycho bigot poo poo that some of the content farms shitout, but my biggets issue is is mostly damages small time creators, like i know the amazing digital circus creator is pissed because these people make cash off stealing her stuff or making fake scams to sell to kids off amazon or any other big box store. it makes her and her brand look bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Chuck Schumer calling for the people of a Middle Eastern country to rise up and overthrow their leader.

McConnell condemns his speech calling it "unprecedented" and hypocritical interference in foreign politics.

Unclear what the practical effect will be, but McConnell is right that it is technically unprecedented.

loving good. i remember reading some post about how chris coons and tim kaine and others were pushing for similar a week or two ago. hope they keep it up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Schumer is going to do another color revolution :mad:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Levitate posted:

I suspect, but without obvious hard evidence, that if you swapped "US Government" for "China's Government" in the structure of TikTok and ByteDance then a lot of people defending it would instead be pretty critical and skeptical.
Just because it's not the US government doesn't mean it's all a good thing, I think people should be highly skeptical of a setup like the one between ByteDance and China's government and not dismiss it because "the US is bad" and "I like this thing".

That all said, I don't know if this legislation is particularly useful or overreacting or the stated reasons are cover for more nefarious reasons. Just that saying "but the NSA spies on US citizens and other countries too!" isn't some gotcha that absolves the Chinese government for doing that. We can say "both of these things are bad and shouldn't be done!"

It's basically the harm reduction argument but coming from the other side. Yeah, it'd be great if there was an option where nobody was harvesting data, but that option doesn't exist. The options are the Chinese government stockpiling your data, or right-wing American billionaires stockpiling your data, and a lot of people see China as the less harmful of the two.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Do we have exit polling from the midterms and 2023 and special elections? If not, how else can we confirm whether there is any movement in the black and Hispanic D/R vote vs 2020?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the Schumer thing might show that some backroom numbers might be interesting?

like keyboard warriors on the internet and their tiny tiny tiny attention spans might be getting the start of what they want?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Damnit now I have to like Schumer again.

E: Read statement in full and wow it really is anything less than full bloodlust catching flack

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 14, 2024

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

litany of gulps posted:

This is a 2019 article about a 2015 study. One of the biggest failures of America to support schools is the inability to decisively lay down a policy on what to do about kids being on their phones 24/7.

I mean, the guy quoted above is probably correct, about 1/4 of Americans are still college ready and college bound. The kids in private schools and suburban public schools with strong parental involvement and investment in the success of the students will continue to feed into the colleges and get decent jobs. The working class kids will go to public schools with no will to enforce cell phone policies, a huge emphasis on easily cheated multiple choice tests, and a no child left behind mentality that does not allow them to be anything but diploma mills. They'll graduate out with limited English and math skills and not much else, then work low wage service jobs with no real chance of social mobility. They'll be making 15 bucks an hour barely getting by as costs increase every year for basic needs like groceries, cars, and housing, but they'll convince themselves that it's fine and that they're doing as well as anyone. Automation and globalization will eat away at their job security and benefits, but those issues are too complicated to face, so they'll vote for Trumpy types to build the wall and start trade wars with China in a desperate and impossible attempt to bring back the good jobs for undereducated workers.

This is why one of the fastest growing startups right now sells nothing except for a fancy phone pouch that needs a specialty magnet to unlock it. School districts all over the place are starting to buy those locking pouches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2A38Nxz8sc

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

golden bubble posted:

This is why one of the fastest growing startups right now sells nothing except for a fancy phone pouch that needs a specialty magnet to unlock it. School districts all over the place are starting to buy those locking pouches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2A38Nxz8sc

BRB creating new startup that only sells the magnets without asking any questions

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

the Schumer thing might show that some backroom numbers might be interesting?

like keyboard warriors on the internet and their tiny tiny tiny attention spans might be getting the start of what they want?

Ah yes, those stupid goldfish-brained keyboard warriors, never resting until they get their paltry wish for the US to stop helping mass killings of innocent people

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Five Year Plan posted:

Thanks, I’m glad I got to learn something about an artist like this. Theater isn’t really my domain, so it’s that much more interesting to hear about the approach of somebody less universally known. When you say Bertolt Brecht dealt in “large ideas,” do you mean that the plays (musicals?) had kind of an ideological bent? Or did you mean “large ideas” in the sense of “dealing with questions of philosophy or the human condition?”

Both! Brecht's best work focused on either the working class or scoundrels, and they encouraged audiences to ask questions of the German bourgeois. Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny has a notable mob scene in which the citizens, having been appealed to their higher angels by a condemned man, say that God has no power there because they are already in hell. If you've ever been curious about life during the Weimar Republic, I'd suggest the film Kuhle Wampe which he co-wrote.

This is what I learned in college instead of the five phases of matter transformation.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I think I'll take the Chinese having access to my data over Steve Mnuchin or Bobby Kotick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Nervous posted:

I'll take the trifecta on a binary choice, please.