Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Odd to not have a decision made on renewal when the season ends in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

Odd to not have a decision made on renewal when the season ends in a week.

The company's in turmoil, it makes sense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

The company's in turmoil, it makes sense.

Yeah, if they're not committing to renewing/out right cancelling/shopping around Star Trek shows, the IP that the streaming service was literally built around, Paramount is up poo poo creek and the water is coming in fast. An also-ran (TV) IP like Halo doesn't have a hope if the Trek showrunners are all going "please watch our shows over and over again on repeat so the accounting floor doesn't cancel us because we didn't meet a pivot table quota :pray:".

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 14, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really liked that. Probably never seeing the flood cause they wouldn't get around to it until like season 4 at this rate was one of my biggest complaints. I love oh poo poo moments and them walking in and realizing it was a laboratory was some peak oh poo poo.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm ready for the titular HALO next episode

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
ORLY? Missed opportunity to call it Combat Evolved, then.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

space pirate, wife and son is the most eye rollingly bland and bad story. Either do something with the characters or just kill them off.

Also, space in this show is very small, halo just been chilling in the star system next door

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 15, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Soell System, not Sol System.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Which is 5 minutes away? Not even any lag on the space phone

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 15, 2024

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lol they're going to blow up the halo ring before anyone steps foot on it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Edit: ^^^ For me, the most interesting thing has been how much the show has been deviating from established lore, so yeah fukken do it Parangoski ^^^

Going by the books, I was pretty sure that Kai was going to be Kurt Ambrose'd, but so many unexpected things have been happening that who knows at this point. :suspense:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Both Parangosky and Halsey are such awesomely hateable villains. I love how McElhone plays Halsey, particularly. It's not a villain performance, though the character obviously is, but even though she demonstrates sociopath and narcisstic tendencies she's still warm, open and just absolutely self assured in her own reasonabilty.

I enjoy that she's often warm and friendly in a bunch of wrong and slightly weird ways too (i.e. never with her actual daughter). Just an excellent, really well considered performance.

Parangosky is Snidely Whiplash by comparison, but she does a very good job too. Hopefully they get some scenes together in the finale.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
How did the Covenant find the Halo?

Makee only just found the location after her hallucination with John at the start of the episode, but she was on a ship that was on the run from the rest of the Covenant and we can assume neither she nor the Arbiter passed on the information she just discovered because, one, the Covenant fleet got there first and, two, they're considered heretics and the rest of the Covenant was not about to listen to them.

edit: wait, how did ONI find out where it was? Did Cortana send it to them?

I must have blanked out at some point during the show, goddamn.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 15, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"We made a blind jump. How did they—?"

"Get here first? Covenant ships have always been faster. As for tracking us all the way from Reach, at lightspeed my maneuvering options were limited."

Simple, easy to remember, and not in this show.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 15, 2024

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This also made no sense to me so I looked it up because I assumed (correctly) that the wiki would be updated with info from this episode and this is what I found on the First Fleet of Solemn Accord's page:
After the Fall of Reach, fleet was dispatched to hunt down 'Gatanai and Makee after they had gone rogue from the Covenant. They met the Arbiter’s Ceudar-pattern heavy corvette after it had exited slipspace in the Soell system.

Which uuuh doesn't feel like what happened in the show?

Edit: wait the wording on that doesn't even imply that the Arbiter got their first, it could easily be interpreted as what we are thinking in that the fleet got there first and is just waiting lol

Double edit: On a positive note, the Forerunner stuff this episode looked extremely game accurate

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 15, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I might be misinterpreting the show, but Parangosky thinks the Covenant have found the Halo, but the Covenant's actual priority is just tracking Makee. Which means that they end up following her to the Halo and fulfilling their own prophecy on accident.

It does uhh seem like maybe everyone knows a little too much about the Halo this episode, and I found it strange that they used an entire fleet to recapture a single fleeing vessel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

It does uhh seem like maybe everyone knows a little too much about the Halo this episode, and I found it strange that they used an entire fleet to recapture a single fleeing vessel.

"There was only one ship."

"One? Are you sure?"

"Yes. They called it the Pillar of Autumn."

"Why was it not destroyed with the rest of their fleet?"

"It fled as we set fire to their planet. But, I followed with all the ships at my command."

The Covenant don't do half-measures. If someone is running they'll send whatever they have to chase them down.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Both Parangosky and Halsey are such awesomely hateable villains. I love how McElhone plays Halsey, particularly. It's not a villain performance, though the character obviously is, but even though she demonstrates sociopath and narcisstic tendencies she's still warm, open and just absolutely self assured in her own reasonabilty.

I enjoy that she's often warm and friendly in a bunch of wrong and slightly weird ways too (i.e. never with her actual daughter). Just an excellent, really well considered performance.

Parangosky is Snidely Whiplash by comparison, but she does a very good job too. Hopefully they get some scenes together in the finale.

I really like how the show has swerved the villains a bit, like how the show made it seem like Parangosky was the one in chiefs corner before doing the rug pull, and Ackerson went from being extremely hateable to being more sympathetic and relatable, with the sacrifice of the spartan 3s being his limit.

I have a strong suspicion that a handful of spartan 3s are going to end up on the Halo (either with Kai in tow or she will sacrifice herself to save them) and they will basically take the place of the Marines you come across in the game and giving master chief someone to talk to

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
John hooks up with Kai and her strike team instead of going directly to the Halo. Instead of using the spike, John has Cortana crash the Covenant cruiser into the Halo. Set up for season 3 Halo ground battle chaos.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I've been confused about this too. Everyone seems completely convinced that Halo is the ultimate weapon and will win the war. They're right, but how did they figure that out?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've been confused about this too. Everyone seems completely convinced that Halo is the ultimate weapon and will win the war. They're right, but how did they figure that out?

Presumably the fact of its existence means it has tech you can weaponise like a motherfucker.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

I love how McElhone plays Halsey, particularly. It's not a villain performance, though the character obviously is, but even though she demonstrates sociopath and narcisstic tendencies she's still warm, open and just absolutely self assured in her own reasonabilty.

Me too. You can't help but side with her, even though they point out again and again she's a monstrous person.

In this episode I loved the little digs from Miranda about how quick she solved the problem, and in particular, the 'don't worry, if you're not around anymore, I'll solve this'

Can't imagine her childhood was idyllic, but it definitely rang true that this was her daughter. She knows absolutely how to use words to hurt the otherwise unshakeable Halsey, and pry at her hosed up sense of self.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

John hooks up with Kai

John Fucks Again

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Have they established in the show that the Covenant believe the ring will transport them to their gods? I remember that being their motivation in the game, which I always thought was neat way to establish their fanaticism / willingness to throw everything that had at it.

I also found the ships finding the Halo thing quite confusing in this episode too. Especially since they made it a thing that John has to take his own path - but they're all ending up in the same place anyway?

I took it that the Covenant fleet was chasing Makee, Makee and John are travelling to the Halo, and the UNSC fleet want to enact their planned mission to destroy the Covenant fleet.

The fact that Pinosky knows about the Halo and it's part of her own failsafe was confusing, but presumably Cortana told her that and she worked it into her existing contingency plan.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I am waiting on the twist that Kai is Ackerson's sister, giving the facial similarity.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Isometric Bacon posted:

Me too. You can't help but side with her, even though they point out again and again she's a monstrous person.

In this episode I loved the little digs from Miranda about how quick she solved the problem, and in particular, the 'don't worry, if you're not around anymore, I'll solve this'

Can't imagine her childhood was idyllic, but it definitely rang true that this was her daughter. She knows absolutely how to use words to hurt the otherwise unshakeable Halsey, and pry at her hosed up sense of self.

See, I read that completely different. I saw that as a reconciliation between mother and daughter: "I will continue your work even after you are gone. You will live in me". Miranda is her mother, just slightly more pragmatic. She knew she was much faster than her older mother, so Miranda set Halsey ahead when the tomb/lab began to crumble and grabbed the artefact her self. We literally see her sprint past Halsey on the bridge, too, lol. And, Halsey knew Miranda couldn't pass up the artefact. I don't know if that is Halsey showing trust and faith in her daughter or just knowing they're both broken in the head the same way. Either way, I feel justified interpreting Halsey/Miranda as a Demeter/Persephone dynamic. They took a trip together into a realm of death and came out with a better relationship.

Miranda is also Pandora because that space-box had to be full of Flood spores

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Comedy option, they go through with the plan to blow up the Halo and wipe out the covenant fleet, and season 3 takes place on onyx where any surviving Spartans have to deal with the growing flood menace. No one ever sets foot on the Halo in the show Halo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't watched the last couple episodes yet because of time, have they explained how Makee isn't dead yet or is it literally just "a grunt threw a medkit at her and her health went up"

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't watched the last couple episodes yet because of time, have they explained how Makee isn't dead yet or is it literally just "a grunt threw a medkit at her and her health went up"

They have not explained it yet but in the most recent episode she still has all the scars on her back we saw before so it's almost definitely just her and not a clone or something.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 15, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great work Yipyap

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

There is a moment in the sixth or seventh episode, where she talks a bit about how the artefacts don't work for her quite the same way as they used to and how she doesn't understand why that's the case. Made me wonder whether there was something going on there, maybe that she's resurrected but doesn't realise it.

They've kept her so cloistered this season (to the point where I feel slightly bad for the actress, I think she's had one flesh and blood person to talk to all season) so it's possible they're holding something back here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Professor Beetus posted:

Comedy option, they go through with the plan to blow up the Halo and wipe out the covenant fleet, and season 3 takes place on onyx where any surviving Spartans have to deal with the growing flood menace. No one ever sets foot on the Halo in the show Halo.

"Season 3 of Flood is out, would you like to continue watching it?"
"Wait, what?"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

There is a moment in the sixth or seventh episode, where she talks a bit about how the artefacts don't work for her quite the same way as they used to and how she doesn't understand why that's the case. Made me wonder whether there was something going on there, maybe that she's resurrected but doesn't realise it.

They've kept her so cloistered this season (to the point where I feel slightly bad for the actress, I think she's had one flesh and blood person to talk to all season) so it's possible they're holding something back here.

That's an interesting observation. Oh, god, what if they Cmdr. Pike-ed her?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I feel strangely at peace with this show now.

Based on how things were going, I thought we were going to get a single episode of boots on the ground shenanigans on the Halo before being unceremoniously cancelled on a season cliffhanger, which would have sucked.

Now I feel like we're going to get a single episode of both boots on the ground shenanigans on the Halo AND the flood running rampant and spreading out of control before being unceremoniously cancelled on a season cliffhanger. That's more than I was expecting, that's better somehow.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Marsupial Ape posted:

Boop

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Please use the beeps.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

Gave her a loving amazing hair cut and cast an insanely charismatic actor to play in a spin off where she steals the entire franchise with how cool she is?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Beep

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, this aspect was bizarre. People were speaking about it with such certainty. *It will be the end of everything!*, it would have made a lot more sense and been equally compelling if they just treated it like the mystery it is - "They're after it for a reason, they're sending everything - we need to make sure they don't get it". Minor change, but just goofy how they're all openly talking about The Halo without much of the mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just have some human overhear the guards say "whoever controls Halo controls the fate of the universe."