Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That show is comically bad. The first episode is mostly ok, but it all trends downhill. The third/final episode is so loving dumb. Just incredibly stupid.

If you have an appreciation for dumb poo poo, watch it. Just don't expect it to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was told that the first episode was very good, and they made the baffling decision to set the whole 2nd part of a 3-part series on the Demeter, which I'm told was boring.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Now I don't remember if it was that episode I heard was good, or the entirely separate movie The Last Voyage of the Demeter (2023). I still think it was the former tho idk?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
All episodes are very bad, the first is bad in a mostly normal way, the second is bad in a different, fresh kind of way, and the third episode is one of the most bafflingly stupid things I've ever seen so it's definitely worth sitting through 4.5 lousy hours of poo poo dracula to see with your own eyes, to really understand dumbness.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Halloween Jack posted:

I just saw L&T as another Marvel movie where the villain has a good point, but he goes too far, so the hero needs to kill him and restore the status quo where people eat at McDonald's and chat about that time half the global population died for a few years.

Except that with this one, there is basically no reason why the hero should disagree with the villain. The villain says basically everything Thor is thinking the whole time, and even the whole "killing the gods then" thing isn't a bridge too far because Thor totally gets pissed and kills a God halfway through this one, for basically the same reason and he's not too upset about it. They are both God-Killers. (Don't worry, the god Thor kills get better by the after-credits though.) So the disagreement is even worse than normal.

I also watched Next Goal Wins hoping that maybe a smaller movie might be more in Taika's wheelhouse and get me back on the Taika train, and noooope I think that guy might just suck poo poo now. Next Goal is a completely cynical piece of garbage, trying to see how weak of a movie you can make with the scrappy-sports-underdog formula and still pull it off. The whole thing is flat, the jokes don't land, everyone just seems a little bored. There's no direction or visual flair to speak of, Taika just doesn't direct, it's like he wasn't even on set. Fassbender gives the worst performance of his life, and it doesn't help that literally every other character around him would make for a more interesting lead.

One supporting character is a trans woman, meaning that Waititi gets to enjoy his "progressive ally on Tumblr" status, but it's complete poo poo, she does nothing but serve as a point to have Fassbender grow and change around. There's a dramatic moment around him deadnaming her, but they both say "sorry" and move on by the next scene, and the movie is incapable of exploring any further after that. Honestly, this should be her movie! The actual person was the first trans person in FIFA!

I really liked Hunt for the Wilderpeople, but holy poo poo the guy who made that is long gone, Waititi is a lazy hack now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Now I don't remember if it was that episode I heard was good, or the entirely separate movie The Last Voyage of the Demeter (2023). I still think it was the former tho idk?
It was definitely the movie. I haven't seen it yet, but I am confident in saying it's the movie.

Baron von Eevl posted:

the third episode is one of the most bafflingly stupid things I've ever seen
The dracula magneto jail will stay with me the rest of my life.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Takes it in spades? Schrader himself is a scumbag!

TAFS is the perfect place for a man who’s been kicked out of at least one celebrity poker room for being too creepy to the women involved.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

TAFS is the perfect place for a man who’s been kicked out of at least one celebrity poker room for being too creepy to the women involved.

A guy who by his own admission sees Taylor Swift like Travis Bickle saw Betsy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I love Schrader so much.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Lol I was looking for this tweet again on google, and the original poster has now protected his posts, but the second result was this thread a year ago when I posted it last.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Which epistolary novels, other than Dracula, have ever been adapted for the silver screen? Turning an epistolary novel into a movie sounds like hell, honestly.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Welp didn’t post let’s try again

Only registered members can see post attachments!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Which epistolary novels, other than Dracula, have ever been adapted for the silver screen? Turning an epistolary novel into a movie sounds like hell, honestly.

Frankenstein, technically?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was going to say the Screwtape Letters because surely some must’ve done a movie of it at some point but I checked and it turns out there’s never been a film adaptation of the Screwtape Letters. What the heck?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Technically not an epistolary novel but kind of the same vibe or challenge with World War Z

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kinda sorta Carrie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I thought of one: the TV show Chapelwaite, sort of. I said movie though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I just googled “epistolary novels” and the list that was generated has yielded a lot of movies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=epi...le-gws-wiz-serp

Also

https://reedsy.com/discovery/blog/epistolary-novels

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Poor Things and The Prestige spring to mind

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mutant War is alright. The effects seem a little better than in Battle for the Lost Planet, but there are a lot less of them. Overall there’s a lot less stuff in it. It’s still reasonably fun as a low budget sci-fi adventure, but it lacks the manic energy of its predecessor.

It does have Cameron Mitchell tho

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Not many can say they fought their uncle in a volcano. I can.

I'm pretty sure this happened in Avatar at least once.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Looks like Civil War might actually be great. From one of my favorite critics.

https://x.com/mangiotto/status/1768445903453483072?s=46

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I certainly hope the movie isn't successful, we wouldn't want people to get the idea that it's good to do a civil war.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Where the gently caress is Spider-Man? If it doesn't have Spider-Man, that poo poo ain't Civil War!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The amount of head bobbing George Clooney does in The Peacemaker is breathtaking.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

therattle posted:

I just googled “epistolary novels” and the list that was generated has yielded a lot of movies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=epi...le-gws-wiz-serp

Also

https://reedsy.com/discovery/blog/epistolary-novels
But I didn't just want to use Google. Those lists are very often wrong in different ways, especially with the AI generated articles clogging up the Internet pipes

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Civil War being good would take an absolute miracle.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Looks like Civil War might actually be great. From one of my favorite critics.

https://x.com/mangiotto/status/1768445903453483072?s=46

I don't understand the sentiment on this forum that it's going to be bad. Trailer looks sick.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already made Violent Night, which is basically Die Hard with Santa Claus.

I wanted to like it but it's not very good, absolute waste of that cast

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://x.com/BenjaminCrew1/status/1768030193669574908?s=20

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't understand the sentiment on this forum that it's going to be bad. Trailer looks sick.

it could well be bad anyway, but the idea that the director of Men and Annihilation is going to be completely unaware of the political valences of a film about an american civil war and not making intentional decisions about which ones to play up to is kinda implausible

distortion park fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 15, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, I think the trailer is cut to give it more of a Michael Bay vibe (given A24s recent VC cash infusion and more mainstream swing), but I'm confident the movie itself will have a lot more nuance/weirdness

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It may be hard to tell given it may simply be tuned to activate the correct kind of political brainworms and be insane nonsense to everyone else.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It may be hard to tell given it may simply be tuned to activate the correct kind of political brainworms and be insane nonsense to everyone else.

I hope it absolutely infuriates chuds, yeah

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, I think the trailer is cut to give it more of a Michael Bay vibe (given A24s recent VC cash infusion and more mainstream swing), but I'm confident the movie itself will have a lot more nuance/weirdness

I feel like the trailer shows that nuance fairly well. It was pretty obvious to me this isn’t going to be just a piece of mindless entertainment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

I hope it absolutely infuriates chuds, yeah

I'd be surprised if they bother to acknowledge it at all. At best I imagine it'll be a topic of the day incorporated into the culture war narrative then immediately forgotten.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd be surprised if they bother to acknowledge it at all. At best I imagine it'll be a topic of the day incorporated into the culture war narrative then immediately forgotten.

They're getting burned out on the dopamine hit of outrage pretty quick lately, they need at least 3 new demonic scandals per day

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Two professional violinists review Bradley Cooper’s conducting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vcitUfPx8jU&pp=ygUTVHdvc2V0dmlpbGluIGNvb3Blcg%3D%3D

About 8 minutes in they try playing their violins to it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They were surprisingly fair to him, that was interesting.

Movie was awful though.

Watched The Beekeeper last night, great stupid fun but idk why Statham seemed to be trying some kind of Americanisation of his accent at points, they already wrote Brit into the script why bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think Claes Bang is definitely on my must-watch actors list, dude is diverse and charismatic as hell.

He's the rear end in a top hat central figure in Bad Sisters, my GOD he is hateable