Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bring back the concept of the medieval/early modern animal trial and apply it to motor vehicles.

Sentence the truck to death by cutting torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

anxious American family erupts into tears after courtroom sentencing of their beloved F2500 to the crusher for vehicle related pedestrian collision

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The lady in question worked as a paramedic for the city and the cynic in me wonders if she's got friends who are going to slow walk charges.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The lady in question worked as a paramedic for the city and the cynic in me wonders if she's got friends who are going to slow walk charges.

The freaking doomer thread is hating our brave HCW!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Platystemon posted:

The freaking doomer thread is hating our brave HCW!

actually i just hate women 👍

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

god drat i hate installing car seats. and.

Smythe posted:

actually i just hate women 👍

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The seats come pre-installed

Idiot

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

spacemang_spliff posted:

yep that's a BMW driver, biggest pieces of poo poo on the road

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/48-hours-yancy-noll-death-dinh-bowman-student-of-murder/

e: just realized this story is a Subaru driver being murdered by a BMW driver.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

to think someone is drunk driving a dodge 2500 right now reading that story

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/48-hours-yancy-noll-death-dinh-bowman-student-of-murder/

e: just realized this story is a Subaru driver being murdered by a BMW driver.

quote:

Bowman’s mother, a native of Vietnam and his father, a Boeing engineer, were in court every day to support their only child. But his cooing wife, Jennifer -- his “Snuggles” -- is nowhere to be seen.
Even in articles from 2016, Boeing can't catch a break :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thoughts?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The bicycle was clearly impaled by a flagstaff thrown by an angry truck driver

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gently caress the trailer, marry the bike, kill the flagpole

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's good to see bicycles being used as practical vehicles rather than just leisure pastimes by right wingers. Either side treating it as some aspect of the culture war will just entrench the other side in opposition to them.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I would ride that bike and fly that flag

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

They rock

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tr*ks are the official bike of cops.

Hard pass.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Tr*ks are the official bike of cops.

Hard pass.

trek booted lemond when he pointed out that Lance Armstrongs watts on climbs were not possible without peds

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hell yes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's good to see bicycles being used as practical vehicles rather than just leisure pastimes by right wingers. Either side treating it as some aspect of the culture war will just entrench the other side in opposition to them.

lib

Microplastics posted:

The bicycle was clearly impaled by a flagstaff thrown by an angry truck driver

lib

LonsomeSon posted:

gently caress the trailer, marry the bike, kill the flagpole

lib

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

it's my house

the trailer is for teh cats

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
thread full of based commies who talk about throweing ninja rocks at cars and punching suvs so hard they explode poo poo themselves @ the sight of a chud flag LMFAO

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Smythe posted:

thread full of based commies who talk about throweing ninja rocks at cars and punching suvs so hard they explode poo poo themselves @ the sight of a chud flag LMFAO

Yes it’s very funny

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

whew, at least they only said it twi-

quote:

lib

…oh now you’ve done it!!! :ohdear:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
will stancil appears

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Smythe posted:

listen buddy we've told you before nobody else is going to think marrying or loving the flagpole is cool and normal no matter how much you post

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

I think it's neat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the flag clearly says impish biden

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I would ride that bike and fly that flag

all day

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Curbside cameras have been snapping red light runners since 1999, and many are placed along the most dangerous roads.

An average of 14,000 citations are issued in Sacramento each year, but beginning this week, the program is being canceled.

The Sacramento County Sheriff's Office manages the 23 cameras in its jurisdiction and in the city of Sacramento. They say the program's suspension was a financial decision.

"That program has been losing money," said Sgt. Amar Gandhi, sheriff's spokesperson.

The cost to operate the program is more than is generated from traffic ticket fines, and other funds have been used to backfill the deficit.

"Rather than continuing to use the money for that, we're using that money for crime suppression," Sgt. Gandhi said.

Traffic safety advocates say the removal of the program puts the public at risk.

"We've seen year-over-year increases in Sacramento in the amount of people who have been hit and killed by cars," said Isaac Gonzalez, founder of Slow Down Sacramento.

Data shows the cameras have made a difference. There had been 621 crashes in intersections before the cameras were installed, and by 2021, that number dropped to just 69 – nearly a 90% decrease.

quote:

The Red Light Camera Program started in 2011 and cost the sheriff's office $898,000 a year for all cameras at 23 locations throughout the city and county. The sheriff's office said it stopped making sense financially.

"The entire design of the program was to remain cost neutral. This was never designed to be a revenue generator, or worst case scenario, kind of what happened now is where we're losing money from it," said Sgt. Gandhi.

That means drivers are following the rules. However, the sheriff's office said it still has more than 17,000 open cases from these cameras ticketing people. Because the cameras are no longer working, it means those tickets are no longer valid.

"They're all dismissed. We've recommended to the courts to dismiss all the cases, because we no longer have staffing for that bureau to provide any sort of support to the courts for it," Sgt. Gandhi said.

lol, lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a million dollars per year to look at a screen and write 14000 annual tickets is a good gig.

thats less than 40 tickets a day

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

google says the sac police budget this 228 million! less than 1% of the budget for the program!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Meanwhile, Philly is making our speed camera pilot program permanent after it reduced counts of speeding by 90% and expanding it to 5 more streets.

https://philapark.org/2023/12/legislature-passes-life-saving-speed-camera-legislation-for-roosevelt-boulevard/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They run the government like it is a business.

The business is Google.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

listen buddy we've told you before nobody else is going to think marrying or loving the flagpole is cool and normal no matter how much you post

buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
wonder why cops don't like speed cameras. weird

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/xwjR6O2.mp4

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr. Sharps posted:

google says the sac police budget this 228 million! less than 1% of the budget for the program!

It gets better, from one year ago:

quote:

The cost of red light citations depends on individual circumstances. The base violation carries a fine of $100, said Sgt. Amar Gandhi with the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office. But once the Sacramento Superior Court is finished tacking on additional fees, the ticket is nearly $500.

I'm no mathemagician but if they're collecting even 1000 tickets per year at the base rate that seems like more than enough to fund the program, maybe some candles too.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Mar 15, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It gets better, from one year ago:

quote:

The cost of red light citations depends on individual circumstances. The base violation carries a fine of $100, said Sgt. Amar Gandhi with the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office. But once the Sacramento Superior Court is finished tacking on additional fees, the ticket is nearly $500.

I'm no mathemagician but if they're collecting even 1000 tickets per year at the base rate that seems like more than enough to fund the program, maybe some candles too.

Either you’ve made an off‐by‐ten error or I misapprehend which numbers you’re comparing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Either you’ve made an off‐by‐ten error or I misapprehend which numbers you’re comparing.

Look, I said I'm not a mathemagician.

Whatever, they said 14k tickets/year, I dunno how many typically get tossed out (all of them if you cancel the program, it turns out) but surely at least a quarter go through? Maybe the courts hog the revenues from those additional fees and are the ones defunding the police.