Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's hard for PC players of Dead by Daylight to resist calling me racial slurs for using Lightborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lurks With Wolves posted:

My worry now is that there won't be able to put the transphobic genie back in the bottle. That the transphobic harassment wouldn't have started if they put proper limitations in place initially, but now that the transphobia is here they're just going to go "okay, the full cheerleader skin is what we use for hating trans women" and so on until the whole character is just hosed. And I just hate all of it.

If they actually want to put their money where their mouth is on being supportive, they're gonna have to do something direct about it and quick, because once the lovely parts of a community latch onto something no amount of "We had someone in the office type up a statement saying we don't agree with the way this is being used!" is going to shake them off it, they're not going to respond to any appeals to humanity because there's nothing good or any humanity left in those fuckers from the start, they have to be counteracted and not just tut-tut'd.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah if they do anything, it has to be quick. even if they have to disable the killer while they work on a fix. they've disabled killers for less.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

At the very least this is an original killer and not a license so it should in theory be relatively easy to act quickly on this. Here's hoping.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think an ideal thing (which I frankly don't think will happen) is to remove the cheerleader outfit entirely, refund everyone auric cells (give them like 1.5x back idfc) and make the old lady one a locked cosmetic set.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

honestly yeah, while the cheerleader is obv just supposed to be classic horror movie victim stuff, this isn't a classic horror movie villain, it's modern internet creepy-pasta/analogue horror. victims aren't cheerleaders anymore. I don't think anyone (who's not using the killer to be lovely to people IRL) would miss it, outside of how bright the colors are which is fun

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Change the cheerleader outfit to an unknown skin that makes her Look like sable!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/Zoeyalexandria9/status/1768359653501452651

Follow-up from the VA. Good to hear BHVR is trying to help, at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh that tweet mostly just reads like her check cashed lol

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
But.. she said that she was tricked by Behavior into voicing a stereotype, and that that skins were outright transphobic? I mean okay, but that's the complete opposite of what she said before.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there must be reparitions

*three hours later*

transphobia isnt real actually

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

A lot of assumptions that it's based on her medical history in the original statement with zero evidence to back up that assertion, especially in light of the fact that she admitted up front that there was no model and that it was described as an amorphous character.

Not saying she's wrong but it's a bit suspicious in light of her second tweet, because even if it wasn't a bullet in the culture war before, it is now.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm getting whiplash

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

tithin posted:

A lot of assumptions that it's based on her medical history in the original statement with zero evidence to back up that assertion

There's definitely no way this was ever accurate, right? It's such a weird thing to do, and a weird conclusion to jump to.

Endorph posted:

tbh that tweet mostly just reads like her check cashed lol

Wouldn't be at all surprised if BHVR took a look at that first tweet and told her to tell the actual story but either way pretty much.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Relyssa posted:

There's definitely no way this was ever accurate, right? It's such a weird thing to do, and a weird conclusion to jump to.

Technically "is trans" is part of her medical history, so even if she believes BHVR just did "we had a trans voice actor, let's make the monster trans" it would be accurate.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Technically "is trans" is part of her medical history, so even if she believes BHVR just did "we had a trans voice actor, let's make the monster trans" it would be accurate.

That's fair, but ehh I don't buy it. I do believe she got harassed for being a trans VA, but I really don't think the rest follows from it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Relyssa posted:

That's fair, but ehh I don't buy it. I do believe she got harassed for being a trans VA, but I really don't think the rest follows from it.

There's a very pessimistic and cynical part of me that thinks she's taken 2 + 2 and leap to 44 on purpose as a means to get extra money from behaviour, drat the consequences to other trans people.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Kwolok posted:

I'm getting whiplash

This.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that's nuts, sliding directly from "behavior tricked me on purpose with deliberately transphobic skins" to "Leave. It. A..lo-ne." in like a couple of hours

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Relyssa posted:

I agree with you, for what it's worth. Just pointing out that "my medical history" isn't always some super obscure HIPAA violating detailed poo poo.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I personally read the 'medical history' bit as alluding to being trans and nothing else.

tithin posted:

There's a very pessimistic and cynical part of me that thinks she's taken 2 + 2 and leap to 44 on purpose as a means to get extra money from behaviour, drat the consequences to other trans people.
With all kindness and respect and awareness you may yourself be trans to say this openly, this is a really heavy accusation to levy against someone, especially someone who is a longtime career professional that is surely very aware that saying the wrong thing can tank your career. I think we should be careful about saying stuff like this without really good reason to. Trans people are a lot more likely to get unpersoned and blacklisted by society than to have material gain from speaking up like this, especially against a company with as much money and clout as BHVR. The first post felt like very genuine pain to me.

It sounds more to me like she had a bit of a (justified!) meltdown upon feeling like she was tricked so profoundly by a huge company + receiving a ton of harassment and seeing transphobic memes everywhere about her character (there were a ton of them on Reddit, traditional "man in a dress" slop). Then after that, had some people from BHVR + maybe some lawyers hurriedly smooth it over and ask her to make another statement. She has a shot of The Unknown in the cheerleader outfit as her banner on Twitter now and everything, so maybe BHVR gave her a genuine enough apology internally that she changed her feelings about it? Maybe she's trying to embrace it and make lemonade out of lemons? I honestly don't know.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 15, 2024

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tiny Myers posted:

I personally read the 'medical history' bit as alluding to being trans and nothing else.

With all kindness and respect and awareness you may yourself be trans to say this openly, this is a really heavy accusation to levy against someone, especially someone who is a longtime career professional that is surely very aware that saying the wrong thing can tank your career. I think we should be careful about saying stuff like this without really good reason to. Trans people are a lot more likely to get unpersoned and blacklisted by society than to have material gain from speaking up like this, especially against a company with as much money and clout as BHVR. The first post felt like very genuine pain to me.

It sounds more to me like she had a bit of a (justified!) meltdown upon feeling like she was tricked so profoundly by a huge company + receiving a ton of harassment and seeing transphobic memes everywhere about her character (there were a ton of them on Reddit, traditional "man in a dress" slop). Then after that, had some people from BHVR + maybe some lawyers hurriedly smooth it over and ask her to make another statement. She has a shot of The Unknown in the cheerleader outfit as her banner on Twitter now and everything, so maybe BHVR gave her a genuine enough apology internally that she changed her feelings about it? Maybe she's trying to embrace it and make lemonade out of lemons? I honestly don't know.

I am not trans, and my comment was not intended as an accusation, more a pessimistic observation.

There's such a dissonance between the two comments that it's almost impossible to reconcile that it was written by the same individual, the demand for reparations taints what is otherwise a message that looks like genuine pain.

You are right that it is heavy, and I'll apologize for that as I potentially could have phrased it better, but I stand by the pessimism as ultimately her being trans does not mean she is immune to the opportunity for greed. I would love to be wrong.

tithin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 15, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ultimately my frustration is that she feels like she can be the arbiter of what is and isnt okay. like shes the va and how she feels about the character is how she feels but acting like suddenly people are being morons for wanting the costume removed when shes the one who initially talked about REPARITIONS really rubs me the wrong way.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

honestly sounds like she went off on a rant, justified or otherwise, without checking the terms of her NDA, and now has to walk a lot of it back lol

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

tithin posted:

I am not trans, and my comment was not intended as an accusation, more a pessimistic observation.

There's such a dissonance between the two comments that it's almost impossible to reconcile that it was written by the same individual, the demand for reparations taints what is otherwise a message that looks like genuine pain.

You are right that it is heavy, and I'll apologize for that as I potentially could have phrased it better, but I stand by the pessimism as ultimately her being trans does not mean she is immune to the opportunity for greed. I would love to be wrong.

Endorph posted:

ultimately my frustration is that she feels like she can be the arbiter of what is and isnt okay. like shes the va and how she feels about the character is how she feels but acting like suddenly people are being morons for wanting the costume removed when shes the one who initially talked about REPARITIONS really rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah, I get what both of you are saying. I feel like if she had released a more generic "I apologize for the severity of my previous comments and I would like to ask people not to boycott BHVR, I have spoken to them and they were supportive of me" type thing it would go over a lot more smoothly. Instead it comes across like she accused them of something really severe (knowingly, deliberately using a trans person to voice a hosed up monster that wears the body of its female victim in a way that looks very unflattering and masculine, especially when swapped with the male head, in order to get money and publicity) then immediately turned around and acted shocked and appalled that people would rightfully extrapolate "this is a transphobic company" from that.

I think we can largely agree there's an obvious motivation behind the tonal change (course correcting due to PR issues) but it does really come across as making GBS threads on the very fanbase she was rallying and apologizing to initially.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It sounds like bhvr didn’t think things through and see how giving a creature that has the rough look of a male-presenting human (tall, broad shoulders, regular shirt and slacks) a skin where it wears a young woman’s cheerleading uniform could draw unkind commentary, to be generous. Having the voices linked to the skins instead of using either voice randomly regardless of skin feels like a bad idea. Making the head swappable just a further lack of foresight

I can see how the VA would not appreciate that, and I have to assume her initial post was done in anger. If I had to see a billion transphobic tweets then I’d probably do a stream-of-consciousness rant as well.

I will tsk tsk bvhr for not saying anything at all. I mean, you don’t have to wade into the VA post directly, but people are using your new character to be transphobic, and I think they could at least take a stance against that.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I still have not seen people using the character or skin to be transphobic but maybe that's just because I don't wade into online cesspools anymore, I don't even have Twitter. I haven't seen a single transphobic thing happen in game. I saw a gently caress ton of obvious racist bubba mask poo poo when that was a thing but I haven't seen anything related to the unknown yet.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kwolok posted:

I still have not seen people using the character or skin to be transphobic but maybe that's just because I don't wade into online cesspools anymore, I don't even have Twitter. I haven't seen a single transphobic thing happen in game. I saw a gently caress ton of obvious racist bubba mask poo poo when that was a thing but I haven't seen anything related to the unknown yet.

I've gotten some lovely messages for using the trans flag charm and it's been from people using the cosmetics in a fucky way, but it's nowhere near as often as the racist bubba stuff was.

I think I get more death threats for using Lightborn than anything else tbh.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Game good sometimes. This was a tough one too, it wasn't like I effortlessly killed all of em.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This Unknown mess only makes me surprised the transphobes didn't latch onto that Legion skin that is Julie's head breaking out of Frank's body

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Eh I imagine stunted brains like that need others to inspire their agendas.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
The Blighted Legion skin is body horror, but it isn't immediately transphobic. You could try using it to be crypto-transphobic about it, but it'd be like using the Spirit to show how racist you are because she's vaguely associated with killing Adam because they're from the same chapter. No one is going to get it that isn't also a crypto-shithead, so it doesn't work if you're actively trying to harass people.

(Personally, I was worried about people just repeating the previous Leatherface tactics with his crossdressing skins. That's the kind of bluntness I expect from this kind of thing.)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

(Personally, I was worried about people just repeating the previous Leatherface tactics with his crossdressing skins. That's the kind of bluntness I expect from this kind of thing.)

I'm honestly surprised there isn't more of that. Seems like the sort of thing these folks would latch on to.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think it's because the Leatherface skin is just so iconic to the movie itself that most people don't view it as offensive in the same way so it's useless to the bigots wanting to upset people.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It sucks because like, as a nonbinary trans person, I wouldn't mind having more stuff that fucks with gender presentation on both sides (not that I feel like it was really intentional here so much as an oversight but nonetheless). A fantastic example being Felix's manbun and crop top, which I wish was on a survivor I actually want to play. I was initially like "oh, that could be fun" about the Unknown being mix-and-matchable before the rest of it sank in.

It sucks that it's such a tight line to walk where people end up largely just using whatever they can to make the same million trite "man in dress" jokes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62QbviuO6w

Did this get posted? New event next week.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I like that Skull Merchant skin. Shame about the whole "being Skull Merchant" thing.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

rydiafan posted:

I like that Skull Merchant skin. Shame about the whole "being Skull Merchant" thing.

:hmmyes:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Some good looking skins all round, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

We're also releasing a new set of Harry Potter skins next week! Straight from the fantastical mind of JK Rowling comes--

Sorry, what's that? Oh, goddammit!!