Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
we're going to seed clouds with DU dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

we're going to seed clouds with DU dust

It's depleted though, gotta go for the real deal so that the radiation can fight off the solar radiation

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Like I can't think of why they would do it instead of something like dust or some other neutral but natural particles, but still lmao

Recycling

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

it's nice out :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Record Nice

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
record? nice!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

RandomBlue posted:

it begins:

i've been owned

:negative:

reposting content now

https://archive.is/tX7oN posted:

Scientists Are Freaking Out About Ocean Temperatures

“It’s like an omen of the future.”

“The North Atlantic has been record-breakingly warm for almost a year now,” said Brian McNoldy, a researcher at the University of Miami. “It’s just astonishing."

By David Gelles

Feb. 27, 2024

From his office at the University of Miami, Brian McNoldy, an expert in hurricane formation, is tracking the latest temperature data from the North Atlantic with a mixture of concern and bewilderment.

For the past year, oceans around the world have been substantially warmer than usual. Last month was the hottest January on record in the world’s oceans, and temperatures have continued to rise since then. The heat wave has been especially pronounced in the North Atlantic.

“The North Atlantic has been record-breakingly warm for almost a year now,” McNoldy said. “It’s just astonishing. Like, it doesn’t seem real.”

Across the unusually warm Atlantic, in Cambridge, England, Rob Larter, a marine scientist who tracks polar ice levels, is equally perplexed.

“It’s quite scary, partly because I’m not hearing any scientists that have a convincing explanation of why it is we’ve got such a departure,” he said. “We’re used to having a fairly good handle on things. But the impression at the moment is that things have gone further and faster than we expected. That’s an uncomfortable place as a scientist to be.”

Spin the globe to the south, and the situation is similarly dire.

“The sea ice around the Antarctic is just not growing,” said Matthew England, a professor at the University of New South Wales who studies ocean currents. “The temperature’s just going off the charts. It’s like an omen of the future.”

What’s driving the heat?

Global warming, caused by the burning of fossil fuels, has been driving up global temperatures on land and in the sea for decades now. Over the past year, worldwide average temperatures were more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, higher than before the industrial age. New data from a variety of sources has led some climate scientists to suggest that global warming is accelerating.

Protecting groundwater. After years of decline in the nation’s groundwater, a series of developments indicate that U.S. state and federal officials may begin tightening protections for the dwindling resource. In Nevada, Idaho and Montana, court decisions have strengthened states’ ability to restrict overpumping. California is considering penalizing officials for draining aquifers. And the White House has asked scientists to advise how the federal government can help.

Weather-related disasters. An estimated 2.5 million people were forced from their homes in the United States by weather-related disasters in 2023, according to new data from the Census Bureau. The numbers paint a more complete picture than ever before of the lives of people affected by such events as climate change supercharges extreme weather.

Amazon rainforest. Up to half of the Amazon rainforest could transform into grasslands or weakened ecosystems in the coming decades, a new study found, as climate change, deforestation and severe droughts damage huge areas beyond their ability to recover. Those stresses in the most vulnerable parts of the rainforest could eventually drive the entire forest ecosystem past a tipping point that would trigger a forest-wide collapse, researchers said.

A significant threshold. Over the past 12 months, the average temperature worldwide was more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, higher than it was at the dawn of the industrial age. That number carries special significance, as nations agreed under the 2015 Paris Agreement to try to keep the difference between average temperatures today and in preindustrial times to 1.5 degrees Celsius, or at least below 2 degrees Celsius.

New highs. The exceptional warmth that first enveloped the planet last summer is continuing strong into 2024: Last month clocked in as the hottest January ever measured, and the hottest January on record for the oceans, too. Sea surface temperatures were just slightly lower than in August 2023, the oceans’ warmest month on the books.

Given the overall warming trend, higher temperatures in the oceans aren’t a complete surprise. Oceans absorb most of the additional heat that greenhouse gasses trap near the surface of the Earth, and have been steadily warming for years. The current El Niño weather cycle is also leading to additional heat in the Pacific Ocean and allowing more energy to be released into the atmosphere.

Yet the past year has come as a shock even to those who follow the data closely.

“We all know that there’s been a rapid warming, particularly over the last few decades,” Larter said. “But over the last 18 months, it’s jumped up beyond what we expected.”

Scientists are offering a range of explanations for the record heat in the North Atlantic.

One surprising factor may be a reduction in pollution in the area. In 2020, a new rule went into effect that limited the amount of sulfur dioxide contained in the fuel used by container ships. That has reduced the amount of particulate matter in the air, which let in more solar radiation and contributed to global warming.

“When those aerosols were in the sky above the shipping lanes, they helped create a cloud cover, and there’s much less now,” McNoldy said. “That’s a legitimate thing.”

But the reduction of sulfur dioxide alone can’t explain the North Atlantic’s extreme heat, scientists said.

Another factor may be the complex feedback loops in the Earth’s weather patterns. The North Atlantic has been unusually clear lately, with fewer clouds than normal to block the sunlight from heating the water. The area has also been less windy than normal, which may have also led to a spike in temperatures.

Without strong winds, colder water from deeper in the ocean doesn’t rise to the surface as readily, England said.

What comes next

In the near term, McNoldy said the warmer waters in The Atlantic could fuel a strong and lengthy hurricane season.

“Compared to other fairly significant hurricane seasons, this is way warmer at this point in the year,” he said.

The marine heat is also expected to reduce Arctic sea ice, Larter said.

“What’s bad news for sea ice has a lot of knock-on effects,” he said. “The formation of sea ice is the process that really drives a lot of the ocean’s circulation. And if the overturning circulation slows down, that really has climate impacts across the world.”

Recent research has suggested that as glaciers melt and more fresh water enters the Atlantic, a crucial ocean current could falter, potentially leading to drastic changes in global weather patterns, such as a rapid reduction in temperatures across Europe.

McNoldy said it was too early to say whether the ongoing heat wave is part of the early stages of such a change. “I hope it’s not something much worse, like, you know, like some significant change in the ocean current,” he said. “That would have far greater implications.”

edit: aaaAAA

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2024/AnnualT2023.2024.01.12.pdf

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Mar 14, 2024

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Hubbert posted:

i've been owned

:negative:

reposting content now

lol, furthermore lmao

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
85F in DC in mid March.

So lovely out.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hubbert posted:

further and faster

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

nature is healing

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

4d3d3d posted:

AaaaAAAHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

It was 32 out this morning and now it's 63. I don't like it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

global nicening

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

I've recovered from my most recent crack ping, I haven't had one in years, thank you everyone. :mildpanic:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't remember the last time I had a crack ping.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Microplastics posted:

Almost every time one tries to discuss this with people.

You want to believe better is possible, maybe we can salvage or pass down some kind of wisdom or power or humanity. Find it where ya can I guess.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Microplastics posted:

I think watching this year's SST chart beat last year's SST by about the same margin or more than the previous year beat the records was my most recent crack ping.

e: Also hitting almost 90 in February in St. Louis and beating our daily record here by 7 degrees that same day.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
my secret is I never stop crack pinging

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Microplastics posted:

I only get one when I interact with younger people and/or less-informed people.

which is almost all the time.

oh dear I should call my therapist

mags
May 30, 2008

there are fresh horrors to behold every wonderful day

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mags posted:

there are fresh horrors to behold every wonderful day

mags
May 30, 2008

mdemone posted:

I only get one when I interact with younger people and/or less-informed people.

which is almost all the time.

oh dear I should call my therapist

talking to yourself a lot?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Lol if your state of being isn't one continuous crack-ping like tinnitus in your brain that never stops

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bimz8JS1cN0

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I just start giggling to myself

They're coming to take me away, ha-ha
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-ha
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
And they're coming to take me away, ha-ha

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I forgot that I never turned off heat/cool mode on the upstairs thermostat in the fall and the AC kicked on today even though it's set at like 80F lmao

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Microplastics posted:

I tend to get it from passing media things like the water knife or cyberpunk 2077. We're never building archologies. We're not inventing AI and mech workers. How optimistic and naive!

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

long dark goon.
listen.
long dark goon.
listen.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol it went over 80 degrees today. summer is going to be hell.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol it went over 80 degrees today. summer is going to be hell.

Yeah it'll be hot, but its an el nino year, so that's normal.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
mere 80°C

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

There's always something to blame like el nino and not us

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
These days the climate situation doesn't really ever crack ping me - altho the pnw 2021? heat dome cracked me pretty hard.

Its the garbage / plastic / pesticides situations that keep getting me lately.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i will never get over how much my parents value poison and using poison and just having it around. Gotta have them pesticides and herbicides

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i will never get over how much my parents value poison and using poison and just having it around. Gotta have them pesticides and herbicides

Yeah I don't really get it. The most I do is put some peppermint oil on cotton balls down in the basement to discourage spiders from webbing around too much and its fairly effective. The only time I ever break out any herbicide is only for super invasive english ivy and applied extremely carefully - I drill the vines that are like 5inch thick and drip it in directly so it doesnt affect anything else.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

These days the climate situation doesn't really ever crack ping me - altho the pnw 2021? heat dome cracked me pretty hard.

Its the garbage / plastic / pesticides situations that keep getting me lately.

I've been wishing that the pesticide situation was a bit worse, the box elder bugs are awful right now. Just a million of the bastards getting into the house from who knows where

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dog Case posted:

They'll put the sulphur back into the ship oil and then also add it to regular car gas and jet fuel

Ship oil still has sulphur. It is just washed away from emissions and ships dump sulphur to sea instead of atmosphere.