Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

I was gonna waste a post and respond to Starfield chat, but instead I'll waste a post by proclaiming my excitement for Dragon's Dogma 2, which I believe will be a fun game. One more week!

Game is mostly on my radar due to hype ITT. I've watched all the official trailers but I'm having a little hard time fully getting an idea of what the gameplay will be like.

Hoping the initial feedback is positive because I'm leaning towards DD2 instead of Horizon. I suspect the novelty of shooting parts off robodinos will have worn off with the first game and won't be nearly as interesting a second time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I quit long before the end of Starfield but is it really true that you have to go through 20 of those exact same alien temples to finish the game?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Game is mostly on my radar due to hype ITT. I've watched all the official trailers but I'm having a little hard time fully getting an idea of what the gameplay will be like.

Hoping the initial feedback is positive because I'm leaning towards DD2 instead of Horizon. I suspect the novelty of shooting parts off robodinos will have worn off with the first game and won't be nearly as interesting a second time around.

It'll probably be pretty similar to the first game, except more streamlined and with much better graphics.

I'm stoked, I hope it's a hit, but like I said, it's just not the sort of game that's going to be for everyone.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
For DD2, I'm looking forward to the plethora of "pawns are dumb", "where is multiplayer", "we need multiplayer", "how do I join my friend's game" threads (in between threads explaining why DD2 is a woke conspiracy).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

game devs hate Epic now because Unreal Engine 5 sucks
?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ymgve posted:

I quit long before the end of Starfield but is it really true that you have to go through 20 of those exact same alien temples to finish the game?

I don't recall the exact number but it's probably at least like a half dozen and, aside from what the outer wall looks like, which will alter the ten or so seconds of jump packing to the front door, they are all identical gameplay experiences.

Like with Skyrim word walls, you COULD do a lot more, I'm sure.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The critical story path in Starfield makes you go through the same copy-pasted outpost 3 separate times on different planets.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I might grab Queen's Wish 2 because it's the only Spiderweb game I've yet to acquire, but really the sales are coming too often for the long-rear end games I really prefer and all I can do is stare at my wishlist and think, "Ehhhhh... no, not this time..."

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

For everyone holding out on Baldur's Gate 3, it is again at 10% off in this sale.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so if you happen to be like me and go to steam on this sale day and wonder why your add to cart button doesnt work, apparently it is a bug in augmented steam. i did some searching and found that if you disable this augmented steam option it will fix it

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

It'll probably just be some small, tight narrative focused expansion that adds 1 place worth exploring to a random planet. Like Far Harbor for Fallout 4.

In other words, it's going to tank the game. Because people will be expecting magic or trash, and they sure as hell won't give it a fair shake. A Far Harbor would probably settle at mostly negative because people will be mad it didn't overhaul the game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
lol They didn't put the adult swim games on sale. Nice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm gonna grab all the Erannorth Chronicles DLC, I think. Been playing a lot of that recently.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
If, after completing Pacific Drive I've acquired a casual interest in trying a Truck Sim for the sale price of "under $5," is American Truck Simulator or Euro Truck Simulator 2 a better choice? Or is my $5 spent better on almost anything else?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

onionradish posted:

If, after completing Pacific Drive I've acquired a casual interest in trying a Truck Sim for the sale price of "under $5," is American Truck Simulator or Euro Truck Simulator 2 a better choice? Or is my $5 spent better on almost anything else?

They're both great and virtually identical outside of the locations so really it's just do you want to drive around america or europe?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

onionradish posted:

Buddy you could spend all of your money on either truck sim and it'd be money well spent.

Honestly, I think it's down to which you're more interested in driving around. The American west is beautiful, Europe is more exotic to my american rear end. Otherwise, as far as gameplay, they're practically identical.

EDIT:

explosivo posted:

They're both great and virtually identical outside of the locations so really it's just do you want to drive around america or europe?

:yeah:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Should I play dragons dogma 1 to get a sense for if I'll like 2? And what class should I play if I do

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Should I play dragons dogma 1 to get a sense for if I'll like 2? And what class should I play if I do

None of us really know what 2 will be like yet so we can't answer that. That said, 1 is dirt cheap and very fun so yes

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Impermanent posted:

Sounds like 2 will be pretty similar (but nobody knows for sure because it's not out yet) so if it looks like something you'd be into it's probably worth checking out for the current price point. And play whatever class you want to. It's very flexible and you'll have more fun picking what looks cool to you instead of going with whatever someone tells you is the best class.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Starfield is legitimately the worst AAA game I've ever played but to be fair I don't play many AAA games

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

onionradish posted:

They’re both fundamentally the same game so at this point I’d say go with American Truck Sim.

Without modding some of the older/original areas of Europe are still very low detail. There has been some work to spruce some of it up and starting with the Scandinavia DLC the countries look as good as anything else released later but you’re still going to occasionally drive into what’s supposed to be a major city and go “huh?”

ATS started with a much higher level of detail from jump and has only gotten better from there so unless you just really don’t want to drive American trucks through America ATS is just overall a better base game to start with.

Edit: Also the “simulation” in E/ATS is a very very light simulation. Even if you turn on every truck option there is you won’t be looking at something on a DCS level of detail where every switch, button, and lever does something. The light sim thing is a compliment by the way. Most of the time it’s just drive forward, dodge cars, break speed limits.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 14, 2024

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think it was here someone was debating on getting the Etrian Odyssey Collection but thought that the $50 even after sale price was too stiff. Well have I got good news for you.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1768344756248076461?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Also if you feel like it, spend a minute and find a mod that'll add a bunch of radio stations. It's just a text file you dump into a game directory. The more radio stations the merrier.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think it was here someone was debating on getting the Etrian Odyssey Collection but thought that the $50 even after sale price was too stiff. Well have I got good news for you.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1768344756248076461?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Direct link, because my uBlock origin did not like the multiple layers of redirects in that link
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/etrian-odyssey-origins-collection

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

how does the map drawing in those feel on the pc version?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

onionradish posted:

Depends on which kind of trucks you like more. Euro truck quite literally has European trucks, which are flat-nosed and quite a bit different from American trucks which are enormous behemoths. Go look at pictures of trucks and see which one you think you'd prefer to drive.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Awesome! posted:

how does the map drawing in those feel on the pc version?

I don’t think there’s anyway to truly replicate the way the series felt on 3/DS, but the controls they got work well enough. Keyboard and mouse works better than the controller scheme but it’s very playable either way.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Awesome! posted:

so if you happen to be like me and go to steam on this sale day and wonder why your add to cart button doesnt work, apparently it is a bug in augmented steam. i did some searching and found that if you disable this augmented steam option it will fix it

thaaaaank yooouuuuu

been annoyed at this for a while now and just disabling the extension whenever i want to buy something. admittedly although it has actually been good because those extra few seconds of effort gave me the time to go.. adding another unplayed library to my steam account won't fill the gaping void in my life. only drugs can do that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, Nexus: Jupiter Incident is on sale for a buck

I haven't thought about that game in decades, but apparently there was a failed sequel kickstarter and they did a bunch of patching in the few years between then and now. I recall it being pretty middling but what the hell why not

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Are people still playing Battle Bit Remastered, or have they all moved on to Helldivers 2?

Right now I'm thinking that, Tiny Rogues, MatchR, or Dusk.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol, Nexus: Jupiter Incident is on sale for a buck

I haven't thought about that game in decades, but apparently there was a failed sequel kickstarter and they did a bunch of patching in the few years between then and now. I recall it being pretty middling but what the hell why not

I remember enjoying it a fair bit at the time just because there was such a dearth of "command a handful of big detailed capital ships" games at the time. But since then stuff like Battlefleet Gothic and Nebulous Fleet Command filled that niche quite nicely.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Waffle! posted:

Are people still playing Battle Bit Remastered, or have they all moved on to Helldivers 2?

Battlebit is pretty dead right now, but they also haven't done a major update in a couple of months. Seems like they are doing some major reworking right now and it will probably populate again with a new update. I know I am just waiting for that, and I imagine lots of others may be too. There are still full servers though, so it's not totally dead, but I would get Helldivers if you want a huge active community.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waiting for GMG to update their site to reflect the sales to see if they’ll have Star Ocean Second Story R than on Steam.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Is the Syberia game pack worth getting for like 12 euros? I've never played them but I'm a huge fan of story based 3d worlds with strong character work and less of a focus on combat - so I loved all the longest journey games and beyond a steel sky, and enjoyed Deus ex human revolution and so forth, but bounce hard off the games where you're a solitary traveler who must collect notes. I'm feeling the itch for something like the longest journey but no matter how hard I google it just seems like a niche genre somehow

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

boofhead posted:

Is the Syberia game pack worth getting for like 12 euros? I've never played them but I'm a huge fan of story based 3d worlds with strong character work and less of a focus on combat - so I loved all the longest journey games and beyond a steel sky, and enjoyed Deus ex human revolution and so forth, but bounce hard off the games where you're a solitary traveler who must collect notes. I'm feeling the itch for something like the longest journey but no matter how hard I google it just seems like a niche genre somehow

Syberia 1 and 2 are staples of old adventure games - 1 more so than 2 but I still enjoy both a lot. The characters aren’t quite as rich as TLJ but there’s plenty of personality on display and the environments have fun with the clockwork theme. Also much like TLJ there are plenty of classic adventure game puzzles where you combine a bunch of seemingly unrelated items into an impossible but useful contraption.

Syberia 3 and 4 are modern 3D adventure games and have a much lighter emphasis on puzzles and more on dialogue and character. Unfortunately they aren’t quite as good at the dialogue and character as they need to be and the VA/animation budget was obviously pretty limited. 3 in particular can be especially dire at times. 3D being more expensive also means there isn’t nearly as much imagination on display in the backgrounds compared to 1 and 2.

Syberia 4 (World Before) improved a lot on 3 in basically all respects but is still just getting into the valleys below the peaks that 1 and 2 reached. It at least feels like a lot more effort went into it. 4 is an okay modern adventure game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Impermanent posted:

i picked it up for $6nz and i'm really enjoying it. i bounced off years ago but i think it's just because i didn't quite 'get' the climbing and situational hits part of the combat. did a bunch of story stuff to get to the city then just explored and found a huge armoured cyclops to take down after a hefty ten minute fight. lot of fun.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Waffle! posted:

Can't speak to the other two but I played a few hours of Tiny Rogues around the time it launched on Steam. Felt a bit threadbare but had a solid enough foundation, maybe a month or two ago they released some kind of major update and I saw a lot of people being more effusive with their praise and saying it felt like a whole new game. Been meaning to go back and give it a try since then, probably worth a shot if you like the Gungeon/Nuclear Throne style gameplay.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Anyone else have a Logitech keyboard that has been acting fucky for a while? (ignoring inputs or multiplying them sometimes) It seems to only happen when i have a game open or firefox. I feel like it might be some conflict with the cheap 2nd monitor im using or GHub is just being garbage as usual would be my first guess but im not a great computer toucher. :shrug:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ErrEff posted:

For everyone holding out on Baldur's Gate 3, it is again at 10% off in this sale.

Yay, 10% sale is still a sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr.Acula posted:

Anyone else have a Logitech keyboard that has been acting fucky for a while? (ignoring inputs or multiplying them sometimes) It seems to only happen when i have a game open or firefox. I feel like it might be some conflict with the cheap 2nd monitor im using or GHub is just being garbage as usual would be my first guess but im not a great computer toucher. :shrug:

Is it bluetooth? That sounds like interference.