Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be aware that shimoda bags tend to be heavier than similarly sized bags from other brands.

If you're lugging a laptop and a bunch of camera gear an extra pound probably won't be that noticeable.. but it's still worth pointing out they're built like tanks and weigh like one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Yeah if you're trying to save on weight, the Shimodas aren't light. You can remove the waist belt if needed.

I use the Action X30 (v1) as my main travel bag, and I always pray that the gate agents won't check the weight.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
I take my 200-600 out into nature to shoot unsuspecting wildlife, which regularly entails hours of targeted meandering. I have two carrying modes:

1. carting the whole assembly around in my backpack
2. clutching it in my arms as a small child of equal proportions

1 is great for the long haul and 2 allows me to raise the camera and open fire immediately when loitering or moving short distances over sensible terrain.

I'd like something in between which lets me hold the camera at low ready for some tens of minutes of traipsing and free both hands to briefly navigate dense foliage w/o alarming levels of camera wobble. I'd like it to support the lens and the camera body and am picturing a big adjustable sling hooked to both, but am open to any and all goon suggestions.

Bonus points if you can comfortably crouch/squat/sit without manipulating this Device, but I can already cozily do those things while cradling the bird cannon so this isn't a dealbreaker.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cabbage Disrespect posted:

I'd like something in between which lets me hold the camera at low ready for some tens of minutes of traipsing and free both hands to briefly navigate dense foliage w/o alarming levels of camera wobble. I'd like it to support the lens and the camera body and am picturing a big adjustable sling hooked to both, but am open to any and all goon suggestions.

Bonus points if you can comfortably crouch/squat/sit without manipulating this Device, but I can already cozily do those things while cradling the bird cannon so this isn't a dealbreaker.

What about one of those chest holsters?

https://www.amazon.com/Nicad-Carryi...ps%2C173&sr=8-5

You're going to look like a mega dork, but you're already carrying a 200-600 for birding :v:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The only solution I've tried so far is a regular Peak Design shoulder strap, hooked to the tripod foot, which works well enough on the wide-open preserve trails I visit. The camera rests upside-down against my waist as I'm walking around and it's always accessible (though I wouldn't call it "low ready"). I don't carry a backpack so I can swing the camera to rest against my back when I need to step off-trail.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use the peak design clip with an R7 and the 100-500. It's bulky having a camera hang from your collarbone area but it works for at least 5 miles, after that the unbalanced load starts to wear on my shoulder. There's also the issue of what to do with the camera while removing your backpack (hint: I put the camera on the ground) and this really annoys some people but I'm okay with it.

It depends on how quickly you need it ready to shoot though. It can take a handful of seconds to get the thing slid out of the clip and ready to shoot.. which for wildlife, is usually too long.

It's definitely good enough for squatting or freeing hands to scramble over rocks as I've done it many times.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

FBS posted:

The only solution I've tried so far is a regular Peak Design shoulder strap, hooked to the tripod foot, which works well enough on the wide-open preserve trails I visit. The camera rests upside-down against my waist as I'm walking around and it's always accessible (though I wouldn't call it "low ready"). I don't carry a backpack so I can swing the camera to rest against my back when I need to step off-trail.

This is what I do as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FBS posted:

This is what I do when hiking and biking with my camera, but I tighten it up all the way to chest level so it doesn't have any swing. On the bike I spin it around so it sits on my upper back. The quick slide release on the peak straps is really handy (I have the pull tab thinner one, not the clip kind). I'm doing rim to rim at the grand canyon next month and attached a sling pouch to the camera strap along with my hydration vest to carry everything.

Speaking of straps and carry, when shooting events and concerts with two cameras I use a cable lock attached to the two peak straps and wear them like a dual harness system. It's more comfortable than the leather harnesses I've tried while being more adjustable too. This lets me keep the Think Tank belt bag in the middle for lens changes as well. The PD straps are really good and their only product that lives up to the hype for me.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 28, 2024

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cabbage Disrespect posted:

I take my 200-600 out into nature to shoot unsuspecting wildlife, which regularly entails hours of targeted meandering. I have two carrying modes:

1. carting the whole assembly around in my backpack
2. clutching it in my arms as a small child of equal proportions

1 is great for the long haul and 2 allows me to raise the camera and open fire immediately when loitering or moving short distances over sensible terrain.

I have one of these wildlife shooting with my 150-600. https://mrjangear.com/shop/lens-carrier-system/
It's pretty comfortable and reasonably secure (although I also attach a strap as backup since the lens could conceivably fall out), plus the pocket in front can fit a small pair of binoculars, lens caps and the like.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on an a6700 but not sure what lens to buy. For an extra $100 I can get it with the 16-50mm kit lens but the 3.5-5.6 aperture doesn't excite me. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 seems like it would be very versatile. There's also something like the samyang 35mm f2.8. I want to do a lot of different types of shooting with this. Probably lots of dog portraits but also street, people portraits, maybe some (rec) sports, macro, and also some videography. Would love to shoot wildlife too but I know that'll require a separate lens that I'm not going to want as my first lens.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have the Fuji version of that Sigma, it's a good lens. F2.8 is good enough for handheld night photography, especially if that body has IBIS.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
Thanks y'all, this was really helpful! I'll take goons any day of the week over sorting through the generative AI dumpster fire that product research has become.

As my personal dignity is of course a non-factor, I'm going to try a hybrid of the lens carrier system beer belly kangaroo pouch and some PD strap shenanigans. Carrier vests are a promising concept but I think I need to browse them in person to figure out what'll work for me. I almost never de/stack my 1.4x teleconverter in the field (or inside either, frankly) but the pouch in particular appears to be designed in such a way that I could at least consider it.

For my less overtly phallic lens needs I have long enjoyed a PD capture clip on my right backpack strap, so this particular ergonomic craving is very specifically targeted at Big Tube.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

prom candy posted:

I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on an a6700 but not sure what lens to buy. For an extra $100 I can get it with the 16-50mm kit lens but the 3.5-5.6 aperture doesn't excite me. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 seems like it would be very versatile. There's also something like the samyang 35mm f2.8. I want to do a lot of different types of shooting with this. Probably lots of dog portraits but also street, people portraits, maybe some (rec) sports, macro, and also some videography. Would love to shoot wildlife too but I know that'll require a separate lens that I'm not going to want as my first lens.

18-50mm is kit range lens for a reason. Covers a lot of situations. You can just consciously start noting during or after taking photos what focal length you like. When I'm just not sure, I do my XF18-55mm .

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

prom candy posted:

lol, sorry repeat post.

murk fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 2, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

18-50mm is kit range lens for a reason. Covers a lot of situations. You can just consciously start noting during or after taking photos what focal length you like. When I'm just not sure, I do my XF18-55mm f2.8.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

anyone have a suggestion on an decent aluminum arca-swiss ballhead? I don't care about the brand; i'll order from alixpress or whatever. lightweight and small is important, that plays nicely with the peak design arca-swiss plate. i'm not mounting anything giant either.

ty

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Putting this here instead of the film thread since i think my question is more broadly applicable. My gear budget is on a slow timeline - I would like to purchase a reasonably nice 35mm SLR at some point this year. I am happy to take my time shopping, particularly as lens acquisition for said camera body will also probably be slow. I would like to get an SLR that has a mount standard on which I can put an adapter to easily continue to use my LTM/M39 lenses in the interim. Does anyone know off the top of their head what mount standards would fit this requirement? I know there are a lot out there that "can" do that, but I wouldn't be able to focus to infinity for the ones I've (briefly) looked at so far.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in order to focus at infinity, you need to be able to match the flange distance to the lens. Which is why a lot of mirrorless cameras are good for adapting, because they have very small flange distances. Looking at this page:

https://briansmith.com/flange-focal-distance-guide/

I don't see any SLR with a flange distance short enough to adapt LTM (except the comedy option of the Pentax Auto 110)

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Admiral Bosch posted:

Putting this here instead of the film thread since i think my question is more broadly applicable. My gear budget is on a slow timeline - I would like to purchase a reasonably nice 35mm SLR at some point this year. I am happy to take my time shopping, particularly as lens acquisition for said camera body will also probably be slow. I would like to get an SLR that has a mount standard on which I can put an adapter to easily continue to use my LTM/M39 lenses in the interim. Does anyone know off the top of their head what mount standards would fit this requirement? I know there are a lot out there that "can" do that, but I wouldn't be able to focus to infinity for the ones I've (briefly) looked at so far.

You're looking for something that doesn't exist. LTM/39 has a 28.8mm flange focal distance, so you need to match that distance from the film in order to get infinity focus. The shortest flange distance ever built on a full-size 35mm SLR was the Alpa, and that one was… I think 37.8mm, 9mm too long for infinity focus with an LTM lens. You would have to mount the lens inside the camera and it would block the mirror.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 4, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Well, loving... poo poo. Okay. Guess that frees up my range of future choices, at least. Thank you for the knowledge.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

35mm SLR can be a very cheap world to play in. Look at the Minolta SRT series, Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax ME/ME Super, basically anyone who isn't Canon or Nikon and you'll find a body and lens for $100 or less.

My daily 35mm is a Minolta SRT303b and they're great cameras with great (and cheap) glass.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Megabound posted:

35mm SLR can be a very cheap world to play in. Look at the Minolta SRT series, Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax ME/ME Super, basically anyone who isn't Canon or Nikon and you'll find a body and lens for $100 or less.

My daily 35mm is a Minolta SRT303b and they're great cameras with great (and cheap) glass.

The canons aren't much more expensive if you look closely. I picked up a Canon Elan 7NE for $65 off ebay, which is already one of the higher end AF canons, and the 40mm/50mm primes are also pretty cheap too (I assume the 90s kit lens zooms are generally trash)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hey gear thread - I am looking for organization to protect what I have going on. I just upgraded my body to the R8 from a 5D MkII. I have just one lens so far (adapted 24-70L) but have a future plan for a 70-200 F4 RF. I would like to take my laptop along in the same bag (16" M3 MacBook Pro). This would generally be used for short range hiking (not a full day/a few hours at best) and bringing along with camping trips. I would like to be able to pack along my DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro along on those outings.

I am wondering if a Shimoda is the answer? My friend has the Shimoda Explore V2 30 and I know the laptop pouch will fit my computer. I just wonder if I want a tiny bit more space. I am looking at the 35 but still not sure. I have been a stupid baby over the price but realize it is a stupid thing to faff over a ~$200 price delta compared to a Lowepro or something when I am talking about housing stuff that is relatively much higher valued.

Is there something else in this range to consider? Do these things ever go on sale?

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 5, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Okay, followup question. I watched a video on the Olympus OM1 and the rest of the OM ecosystem recently so that is just sort of at the top of my brain and was doing some ebay checking. I came across a bundle(it has all the earmarks of a "deceased father" who left a bunch of poo poo in the closet). Olympus OM-2N with a bunch of poo poo to go with it. People on the internet seem to love them, and I'm definitely thinking about it, just wanted to get some perspective and maybe some cold water thrown on me if necessary.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166577044157

The one thing, oddly, that is kind of hanging me up a little bit is that people say the OM family is fairly small in the hands. That's usually seen as a positive but I have big ape hands. Can anyone let me know how much of a big deal that is? I'm already used to fiddling with a Leica III, for comparison.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whether the grip is comfortable or not is so personal no one can really answer it, you gotta put hands on the camera. I will say that too small is a solvable problem, there are aftermarket grip things you can attach to cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/JJC-Bracket-Accessories-Fujifilm-Battery/dp/B088TDLD7X?th=1

I have this one, for an example. Too big you can't fix but these extenders work well if it's a little small for your hand.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am wondering if a Shimoda is the answer? My friend has the Shimoda Explore V2 30 and I know the laptop pouch will fit my computer. I just wonder if I want a tiny bit more space. I am looking at the 35 but still not sure. I have been a stupid baby over the price but realize it is a stupid thing to faff over a ~$200 price delta compared to a Lowepro or something when I am talking about housing stuff that is relatively much higher valued.

Is there something else in this range to consider? Do these things ever go on sale?

The Action series has roll-tops if you want something a bit more expandable. I've seen Shimoda bags on clearance sales when they release new product lines, and you might get a small discount code if you join their mailing list, but no other big deals besides that. Individual retailers might have their own sales of course.

I use the Action 30 as my primary travel bag and really happy with it. I carry two bodies, three lenses, shotgun mic, monitor, a few LED panels, audio recorder, laptop and tablet, and a lot of batteries and cables.

You might also want to look into Gura Gear's Kiboko series.

Summit Creative has 40l/30l bags called Tenzing, but I really know very little about it besides the photos.

Gomatic has a bunch of hiking bags.

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

Admiral Bosch posted:

Okay, followup question. I watched a video on the Olympus OM1 and the rest of the OM ecosystem recently so that is just sort of at the top of my brain and was doing some ebay checking. I came across a bundle(it has all the earmarks of a "deceased father" who left a bunch of poo poo in the closet). Olympus OM-2N with a bunch of poo poo to go with it. People on the internet seem to love them, and I'm definitely thinking about it, just wanted to get some perspective and maybe some cold water thrown on me if necessary.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166577044157

The one thing, oddly, that is kind of hanging me up a little bit is that people say the OM family is fairly small in the hands. That's usually seen as a positive but I have big ape hands. Can anyone let me know how much of a big deal that is? I'm already used to fiddling with a Leica III, for comparison.

I have an Olympus OM-1n (actually two now) and I love it. It is very small and I have small hands but it's still not the most comfortable to hold. It doesn't bother me though, I love the look, I like the small size, and it's fun to use. I am looking to pick up an Olympus OM-2 or 2n next.

I just picked up a bunch of new lenses (a 24mm, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm, and 100mm) and brought them along with the camera on a photography trip, so i'm quite keen to see how they turned out!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a point and shoot style camera for 300 to 600 dollars for photography on the go. Not too unlike street photography, but with peoples permissions and just to see if a certain shot would work.

This will be my go-to, general use camera. Expected to take photos in all weathers and settings. I have an old Canon SX160 IS and my biggest issues with it are how long it takes to focus, to take a photo, and to write the photo.

The main thing turning me off from cellphone photography and manual focusing lenses is an essential tremor with my hands and arms.

Edit: I'm fine with cameras that have interchangeable lenses, but whatever lens I get will bascially live on the camera anyways.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 12, 2024

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Canon G5X ii (great handling super nice hold)
Lumix ZS100 (not easy to handle, very slippery)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Olympus E-M5 has weather sealing and image stabilization, which are pretty rare at that range. With a tremor having stabilization would probably be super helpful.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I found an em5 for about $300, I'll go that route.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Thanks, I found an em5 for about $300, I'll go that route.

You will need a lens for it but micro four thirds lenses are pretty cheap. I've seen this one recommended: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-20-1p7-o20

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Grand Fromage posted:

You will need a lens for it but micro four thirds lenses are pretty cheap. I've seen this one recommended: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-20-1p7-o20

Yeah, that's a pretty good focal length for all-around shooting, hard to go wrong with it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hey gear thread - I am looking for organization to protect what I have going on. I just upgraded my body to the R8 from a 5D MkII. I have just one lens so far (adapted 24-70L) but have a future plan for a 70-200 F4 RF. I would like to take my laptop along in the same bag (16" M3 MacBook Pro). This would generally be used for short range hiking (not a full day/a few hours at best) and bringing along with camping trips. I would like to be able to pack along my DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro along on those outings.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Summit Creative has 40l/30l bags called Tenzing, but I really know very little about it besides the photos.

Coming back to revisit this. On local classifieds I had shotgunned a bunch of different camera backpacks on my "favorites" list and one was a Summit Creatives 30L Tenzig. The dude dropped the price down to $200 so I took that for an answer and immediately went and bought it. I have a lot of work to do on the internal core but there is plenty of space for my body with lens attached (currently 24-70) and the eventual 70-200 I hope to own along with my Mini 3 Pro/controller and misc stuff. The top is nice and roomy enough to hold snacks/water and has a roll top for added space. The front pouch barely holds my Macbook and doesn't have a lot of protection, but the laptop will only go in there for travel and when I take it to work with me.

Overall I like it but it is overwhelming with how modular it can be used (just like the Shimoda). At $200 I definitely feel like it was a good deal.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Just read this Minolta RF Rokkor-X 250mm f/5.6 article and got to thinking about older (70's to 80's) reflex lenses in general.

In the articles conclusion they state "There are better 250mm lenses on the market", do they mean contemporary or modern?

What were the best reflexes back then, I seem to remember the zuiko 500mm getting a lot of praise.

It goes on to say - "As well as a 62mm filter thread" & "there is also rear filter with a thread of a 39mm that can be used for ND filters e.g. (Originally it comes with Minolta Neutral filter in place)". Is there a reason other than price that you would use a rear nd filter?

I also wonder if any of these came with built-in nd filters?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the lens recommendation!

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
AFAIK the 250mm f/5.6 reflex rokkor from Minolta was the only one of it's kind and thus commands the leica-like price it does today. There are however plenty of 300mm f/5.6 reflex available, most in an adaptable t-mount. The better 300mm antique versions have a 72mm front filter diameter.

JamesieAB posted:

Is there a reason other than price that you would use a rear nd filter?

The reason for wanting to use an ND or color contrast filter is that the lens has a fixed aperture of f/5.6. If you're shooting film (which you would be on one of the old lenses) you're stuck with only shutter speed to vary the exposure. One would typically want the fastest shutter available with a long lens which in turn will limit the variety of appropriate films and shooting conditions. It is less of a concern on a digital body with variable ISO.

I use a Spiratone Reflex 300mm f/5.6 adapted to a Pen FV body. This gives a 450mm equivalent FoV with an essentially fixed 1/500s f/5.6 exposure -- just about right for ISO 100 film under good daylight. These lenses aren't contrasty so an orange filter can serve double duty with b&w film by increasing contrast and acting as an ND filter.

There are tons 500mm f/8 reflex lenses but they aren't as appealing for hand-held use due to their size. They're more versatile when paired with a modern mirrorless camera that provides IBIS and focus peaking.

Reflex-Nikkor 500mm f/8, Z6ii

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the info!

Father O'Blivion posted:

The reason for wanting to use an ND or color contrast filter is that the lens has a fixed aperture of f/5.6. If you're shooting film (which you would be on one of the old lenses) you're stuck with only shutter speed to vary the exposure. One would typically want the fastest shutter available with a long lens which in turn will limit the variety of appropriate films and shooting conditions. It is less of a concern on a digital body with variable ISO.

I was really just curious about the placement of the nd fiter at the rear, I thought a smaller filter being cheaper might be the reason. It just seems very inconvenient to take the lens off to mount a different nd filter as lighting conditions change.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 19, 2024

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Its most likely because front filters would have to be huge and expensive so a small rear filter is preferable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Yeah, less expensive and compact enough to be included alongside the lens in its case.

You'll want to be using a lens hood 99% of the time which makes swapping out front filters a bit more onerous than just popping the lens off the bayonet to access the rear element.