Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Internet Old One posted:

I don't understand how businesses can get hosed by MS the same way over and over and over and they fall for it every time.

Because qualified IT people are not making those decisions. It's always some C level shithead that only sees immediate dollar value backed up by people who invested their lives in microsoft certifications and can barely operate a toaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Time_pants posted:

If this happens and we let them get away with it, we deserve everything that happens next.

How do you stop them though? Even if groceries weren't a necessity or a monopoly, what action could you take? Boycotts don't work because they still get plenty of customers. Doritos cost 8 dollars now and are barely even seasoned, and Frito-lay still makes enough to keep raising the price more.

Realistically, the answer is [radio interference -unintelligible] but I doubt people have it in them to resort to violence or deal with the cybernetic police state.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

steinrokkan posted:

I love edging

Are you going to upgrade to Microsoft Jelq?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

There are only two brands that come to mind for me where the vast majority of their products I have bought or tried have been crap: Samsung, and Black & Decker. Samsung is typically considered a good tech brand by the general public and they absolutely do not deserve to be, and it's probably entirely because of their Galaxy phones and cheap TVs.

I've had Samsung Galaxy phones from S3 through S10, and literally every single one physically broke within 18 months. I had Iphones before/after that, and I've only physically broken one, which tbf it was in my pocket when I crashed pretty hard on an electric bike.

I've had two Black and Decker jigsaws break within moments of being removed from the box

However I had a Lucky Goldstar TV back in the 80s and that mofo wouldn't die. Actually all my LG products have been extraordinarily long lived

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Black and Decker tools are the cheapest consumer grade stuff possible to compete with Harbor Freight. The same company makes DeWalt which is the contractor grade stuff.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I bought a Black and Decker microwave earlier this week and it was broken out of the box. I pulled the door open and the entire faceplate flew off; it was secured with a single lovely piece of plastic that had apparently sheared off in transit or something. loving trash.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Time_pants posted:

If this happens and we let them get away with it, we deserve everything that happens next.

We let everyone get away with everything. When was the last time there was a real effort to stop things from getting shittier? I think the Net Neutrality stuff was the last time.

bossy lady posted:

Haha holy poo poo I haven't heard that term since I was a teenager. I downloaded from the 2001 version of the darkweb (a geocities page with lots of 3D skulls and fire gifs) a guide on how to make my penis bigger. It's the single time I've ever read that word until now.

credburn fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 14, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Philthy posted:

All my Whirlpool appliances have been mostly fine for the past 15 years. Had to replace a capacitor on the compressor for 10 bucks because it was making loud clicking noises as it failed to start the compressor. Microwave, gas stove, fridge, dishwasher, washer/dryer all tip top after 15 years.

I just jinxed them all, didn't I.

Edit: I remembered the fridge I also had the filtered water lever broke because it's all plastic. Had to use a metal screw to fix it up under the cover. Been fine since. But it's a terrible design to use plastic for hinges. Should have been metal.

My bad fridge is a Whirlpool. There are no good brands. I suppose if you go to Nancy Pelosi consumer tier or commercial, it gets better.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The funniest thing, with the consolidation of manufacturing overseas, almost everything in a given market sector is made by one or two companies.

There are tons of TV brands out there, but all the panels in the tv's are made by 2 or 3 companies. You want a high quality DeWalt tool, or a gob-smackingly bad Frabtrell Junius tool? All made in the same factory.

So this means it's not some young, inexperienced company making bad products simply from lack of history in the market. It's the big experienced companies building in the shittiness on purpose.

"Okay, we built some great Milwaukee tools on the line today. Let's switch the line over to the bad molds and the poo poo plastic and build some trash. Oh, and you guys over in electronics, remember I want lovely motors in these things and the coldest solder joints. If these drills aren't smoking after 5 minutes of use, then we haven't done our jobs here at Wong-Hai Industrial Concern."

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

I've had Samsung Galaxy phones from S3 through S10, and literally every single one physically broke within 18 months. I had Iphones before/after that, and I've only physically broken one, which tbf it was in my pocket when I crashed pretty hard on an electric bike.

I've had two Black and Decker jigsaws break within moments of being removed from the box

However I had a Lucky Goldstar TV back in the 80s and that mofo wouldn't die. Actually all my LG products have been extraordinarily long lived

lol why did you keep buying Samsung phones if they kept breaking

For cheap power tools Ryobi is the way to go imo; I’ve been in their ecosystem for 5ish years now and have never had a tool crap out on me

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The funniest thing, with the consolidation of manufacturing overseas, almost everything in a given market sector is made by one or two companies.

There are tons of TV brands out there, but all the panels in the tv's are made by 2 or 3 companies. You want a high quality DeWalt tool, or a gob-smackingly bad Frabtrell Junius tool? All made in the same factory.

So this means it's not some young, inexperienced company making bad products simply from lack of history in the market. It's the big experienced companies building in the shittiness on purpose.

"Okay, we built some great Milwaukee tools on the line today. Let's switch the line over to the bad molds and the poo poo plastic and build some trash. Oh, and you guys over in electronics, remember I want lovely motors in these things and the coldest solder joints. If these drills aren't smoking after 5 minutes of use, then we haven't done our jobs here at Wong-Hai Industrial Concern."

yep, to illustrate:

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 14, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bossy lady posted:

It's really lovely we can't squirt at each other with our Zunes anymore.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Bouillon Rube posted:

For cheap power tools Ryobi is the way to go imo; I’ve been in their ecosystem for 5ish years now and have never had a tool crap out on me

I quit after the S10 :shrug:

I think about going back to Samsung, since I'm firmly in the Google/Windows ecosystem, but I'm pretty sure i'll break the S24 Ultra or whatever.

Plus Samsung's bloatware stuff is way more obnoxious than Apple's.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you are using Android, there's no reason to buy Samsung over the cheapo Chinese brands like Xiaomi

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
OTOH I've had the Note 9 and S22U and they've been both very nice. Other than the usual complaints about SD cards and headphone jacks, but you're kind of hosed on those no matter where you go

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

note that being made in the same factory can potentially mean very little. if the two lines have entirely different tooling, staff, management teams, t1/t2 suppliers, etc., the only thing they share is the roof. sometimes being made in the same literal factory means a lot of that is shared and there is little functional difference, but that's not automatically the case

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ne Cede Malis posted:

I didn't know about one drive storing poo poo to the clown until one day I got a "hey remember this day a year ago?" email which auto loaded a whole bunch of photos of an extremely traumatic event I had. Completely hosed me up the rest of the day. Thanks real helpful.

Yeah every time I open that up it's me living happily with my beautiful ex-wife before my life went to complete poo poo. :smith:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

skooma512 posted:

Realistically, the answer is [radio interference -unintelligible]

Yeah, unfortunately.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hey google if I'm typing words in the search I'd like you to use them. If there's only two words? I definitely want you to use all of them. Instacart/Etsy stop showing me poo poo that isn't what I searched for like at all. I get it you want to advertise to me and that's a way to do so without my adblocker blocking it but it's annoying and I'd like you to stop.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My "favourite" is looking for specific part numbers.

"Hey Google, I want the WidgetPro CN1000FP2Z"
"Sure thing, here are links to buy the CB1001FP77. It's a completely different part for a different product, but the part numbers are vaguely similar, and in the end, isn't that what's really important?"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Bobstar posted:

"Sure thing, here are links to buy the CB1001FP77. It's a completely different part for a different product, but the part numbers are vaguely similar, and in the end, isn't that what's really important?"

OMG this

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

skooma512 posted:

How do you stop them though? Even if groceries weren't a necessity or a monopoly, what action could you take? Boycotts don't work because they still get plenty of customers. Doritos cost 8 dollars now and are barely even seasoned, and Frito-lay still makes enough to keep raising the price more.

Realistically, the answer is [radio interference -unintelligible] but I doubt people have it in them to resort to violence or deal with the cybernetic police state.

I'd just not shop at any place that started using digital readouts for all the prices, because it'd be pretty obvious why they suddenly appeared. Now if all markets nearby colluded into doing that poo poo, I guess move to an area that was smart enough to ban it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Time_pants posted:

It's insane how Microsoft lost that antitrust lawsuit for packing in Internet Explorer, and yet somehow the rest of this is completely okay.

It’s been awhile but Bush won the election and his doj never enforced the win

Iirc

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Bouillon Rube posted:

yep, to illustrate:

Huh, this feels really validating of my opinion that only hilti power tools are worth a poo poo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bouillon Rube posted:

yep, to illustrate:

I've seen a similar image of US food production/brands or something similar. Like 5 companies own everything in the United States.

edit: I've had my Galaxy S10 for about 5 years. I only just scratched the screen a few months ago by dropping it on a cobbled patio thing. I get an Otter Box case every time I get a new phone which is rare.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 14, 2024

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Doritos are somehow the most striking example of the ongoing food price gouging. Who the gently caress is paying that much for a bag of doritos.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

The Moon Monster posted:

Doritos are somehow the most striking example of the ongoing food price gouging. Who the gently caress is paying that much for a bag of doritos.

With Frito Lay you have to buy 5 bags at once to get a price competitive with what you would have paid like five years ago.

They're like, "$5 for a bag and there is absolutely no way around this for a single bag, or you can get 5 bags for $10 you absolutely fat loser gently caress".

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The Moon Monster posted:

This was discussed at great length, in great detail, on these very forums by a superstar proster

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Bobstar posted:

Missing: CN1000FP2Z ‎| Show results with: CN1000FP2Z

"Yes, Google. Please do show me results matching the terms I actually used" :thanks:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Time_pants posted:

You don't let a cartel get away with anything, they have the power, they will poo poo in your mouth and you will eat it

Before too long what we eat will be decided by the officers at the labor camps we have been relocated to anyway

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 14, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

an actual frog posted:

Missing: CN1000FP2Z ‎| Show results with: CN1000FP2Z

"Yes, Google. Please do show me results matching the terms I actually used" :thanks:

Yeah but then you might get like only a couple results or whatever and that'd make you think we are to blame. Which is probably true, people are idiots.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Guess I'll have to step up my shoplifting to make up the difference.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bouillon Rube posted:

yep, to illustrate:

Makita supremacy, go team teal

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Here's a fun one!

(big image)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Here's a fun one!

(big image)

I've been boycotting nestle for like 15 years now? and holy gently caress is it difficult because they just keep buying up random rear end brands.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Only brand we buy of those I think is Tampax and Always

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

silicone thrills posted:

I've been boycotting nestle for like 15 years now? and holy gently caress is it difficult because they just keep buying up random rear end brands.

Thats the real enshittification - all of your local, "independent" brands business goal is to become successful enough to be bought and swept up into that pyramid

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Mercury_Storm posted:

I'd just not shop at any place that started using digital readouts for all the prices, because it'd be pretty obvious why they suddenly appeared. Now if all markets nearby colluded into doing that poo poo, I guess move to an area that was smart enough to ban it.

So which country are you planning on moving to?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Time_pants posted:

So which country are you planning on moving to?

Costa Rica has a pretty sweet digital nomad visa option, I'm personally going for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think it was Wirecutter that recently tried to write an article for the best microwave to buy and they discovered that like 12 of their microwaves were actually the exact same microwave just in a different housing. Most of them were name brands you've heard of.