Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kuros posted:

Also, a pretty good vid about jokers in gold stake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V1KQlcwy2M

He really underestimates Burnt Joker. He says it's a waste of half your discards, but you can just discard 5 random cards with no pairs and it'll count as a high card discard, so it barely affects your gameplay. Burnt joker is often a free win if you get it early cause you can just discard high card every round for one level (more if you have a way to duplicate it!) and end up with a lvl25+ high card by the time you reach the final boss. With steel cards and other bonuses stacked on top that's just incredibly strong. And if you do run into something that's way better later on you can dump it and still keep all your levels. It's one of the reasons high card is so strong in gold stake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's really not hard to use and it should be pretty obvious when you're in a reasonable position to take Obelisk. Just click on Run Info and do some estimating.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

DrHammond posted:

Does obelisk reset if you play a most-played hand, or does it just stop accumulating additional xmult?

I assumed it was the former, but if latter it might be busted and I need to try.

It’s the former, which is why Obelisk is totally useless in the first 2-3 antes. You probably need to get “most played” up to 10 or so. The only time I’ve ever made it work was when I had Stuntman and some jokers with +mult irrespective of cards played, so I pivoted out of Flushes and played uhhhh everything else , making a point to use every single hand (and almost losing multiple times in the process). I think I ended at around 8x.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Elman posted:

He really underestimates Burnt Joker. He says it's a waste of half your discards, but you can just discard 5 random cards with no pairs and it'll count as a high card discard, so it barely affects your gameplay. Burnt joker is often a free win if you get it early cause you can just discard high card every round for one level (more if you have a way to duplicate it!) and end up with a lvl25+ high card by the time you reach the final boss. With steel cards and other bonuses stacked on top that's just incredibly strong. And if you do run into something that's way better later on you can dump it and still keep all your levels. It's one of the reasons high card is so strong in gold stake.

Honestly I thought the same about Astronomer. His reasoning is that "value jokers aren't that great at high stakes" and "planet cards don't scale that well" but like, that's a ridiculous amount of free planet cards you're getting. Planet cards tend to be a great source of chips and since they're your first source of +mult they tend to work great with early xmult joker like, say, Baron. Also like, its an economy card, you can use it for a bit then sell it.

IDK maybe it's not an S Tier card but like, I'd at least put it in B. I'm slam picking it whenever I have less than 5 jokers and even if I'm capped out I'm probably considering it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I have only attempted gold stake a handful of times, but it seems like you need to swing for the loving fences to beat it, and I dunno if planet cards can get you there. Seems like you're best of holding R until you get the start of a great build rather than limping to an inevitable loss in Ante 5-6.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If obelisk is deactivated by a boss blind can I play my most played hand without resetting it?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

I have only attempted gold stake a handful of times, but it seems like you need to swing for the loving fences to beat it, and I dunno if planet cards can get you there. Seems like you're best of holding R until you get the start of a great build rather than limping to an inevitable loss in Ante 5-6.

I mean, blindly buying planet cards to try and win, sure. But an 8 dollar card that gives you free planets and planet packs is kinda crazy value. Hell, there are gonna be some shops where you can buy it, get your planets for free, and then sell it for effectively a profit.

IDK, it just seems like such a low commitment "here's a bunch of planets for basically nothing", and even if leaning hard into planets isn't a winning strategy it can enhance basically any run.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zamujasa posted:

i do wish jimbo had more lines and appearances, though. they should put in an option like old Hoyle Card Games that let you turn up how talkative he is, from "shows up at the end only" to "clowns on every single hand you play"

lmao

Do this and give each joker their own personality. Really piss the player off :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Relyssa posted:

Who are these clowns that think the game would be better with a story/character? :psyduck:

I could see the appeal in some Weird poo poo happening. The first run I saw and bought the blank, I got an error screen after the run was done and it was scrolling through new unlocks. I thought it was going to be some weird rear end secret like the yellow sign in Vampire Survivors had... but turns out it was just an legit error dump screen that got graphically mangled lol.

Like "goofy lore" or "things happen" maybe, but "character and story" seems like an odd expectation unless they were thinking this would be like Inscryption? But it sure doesn't give that vibe at all lol.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mesadoram posted:

This game really dug its claws in me, I cannot stop thinking about card strategies and discussing it with my friends.

A Redditor transcribed the AMA with the dev into an easy to read post for those interested: https://old.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1bebf1g/balatro_developer_ama_transcript/

Most interesting answer is that he says the game isn't based on poker, but Big 2.

Also all the answers that are "yeah, I see why people dislike it but this is a game I made for me, so too bad."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arzaac posted:

I mean, blindly buying planet cards to try and win, sure. But an 8 dollar card that gives you free planets and planet packs is kinda crazy value. Hell, there are gonna be some shops where you can buy it, get your planets for free, and then sell it for effectively a profit.

IDK, it just seems like such a low commitment "here's a bunch of planets for basically nothing", and even if leaning hard into planets isn't a winning strategy it can enhance basically any run.

I'm not very big on planets myself but I do think astronomer is pretty good even just as a short term boost that you sell later. A couple antes' worth of free planets isn't nothing.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I swear every single time I get a coupon tag in ante 1 both of the jokers in the shop are lovely eternal commons :negative:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Verdugo posted:

Most interesting answer is that he says the game isn't based on poker, but Big 2.

Also all the answers that are "yeah, I see why people dislike it but this is a game I made for me, so too bad."

Honestly this game reminds me of playing "dealers choice" poker in high school where we'd play bullshit pure gambling games with silly wilds and rules like Midnight Baseball (flip your cards one at a time, 3s and 9s are wild, 4s you can buy an extra card) and Follow the Queen (any card revealed after a queen is wild)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got Blueprint, Driver's License, and the Stone Joker on the Medusa challenge

Sometimes it's just that easy lmao

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Finally got $400, it took too the moon, rocket, both extra antes and some luck with arcanas. I am still very bad at this game.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Hell yeah. Finally finished a gold stake run and made it to ante 10 to boot. Now I need to actually do the rest of my unlocks

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm still struggling to get past purple stakes. I think I will definitely be passing on doing gold runs any time soon.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

RBA Starblade posted:

lmao

Do this and give each joker their own personality. Really piss the player off :v:

Five jokers all talking trash about how I've got four hearts, four spades, and just pulled two diamonds.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm a big Yu-Gi-Oh fan so I think all card game based things should have a complete bullshit story that it plays ridiculously straight.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
First four jokers seen on an Abandoned Deck run: Happy Face, Sock & Buskin, Gold Mask, Photograph (the first 3 were all eternal.)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Oxyclean posted:

I could see the appeal in some Weird poo poo happening. The first run I saw and bought the blank, I got an error screen after the run was done and it was scrolling through new unlocks. I thought it was going to be some weird rear end secret like the yellow sign in Vampire Survivors had... but turns out it was just an legit error dump screen that got graphically mangled lol.

Like "goofy lore" or "things happen" maybe, but "character and story" seems like an odd expectation unless they were thinking this would be like Inscryption? But it sure doesn't give that vibe at all lol.

I think it's just a classic case of the average gamer still thinking about the medium the same way they did as a kid, e.g. "It would be so cool if this game had an epic story and you could see the jokers battling against the boss ante when you played your hands and there was a choice and consequence system with dialogue and you could talk to your jokers to build a relationship with them to unlock new abilities and and and" type bullshit where they have no idea how games are made and their contributions mostly amount to daydream delusional poo poo.

I worked in social media for a few small games and it's pretty much how the majority of people think, and an astonishing amount of them are grown rear end adults.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

First four jokers seen on an Abandoned Deck run: Happy Face, Sock & Buskin, Gold Mask, Photograph (the first 3 were all eternal.)

You know the next shop's gonna have Pareidolia.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

instantrunoffvote posted:

You know the next shop's gonna have Pareidolia.

Nope. I did see both a holo calling card, foil scary face, and polychrome smiley face that run too.

Actually did manage to limp over the finish line regardless. Was desperately fishing for something better than onyx agate as I never did get any club tarots so being a pair-based deck I was getting a max of +8 mult, which isn't that great even with a couple steels in the deck, but it juuuust did the trick. I think this might be my closest victory so far.

EDIT: Shoutout to getting polychrome on half joker on my only wheel of fortune pull that game. Nothing but net.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

been banging my dumb head against orange stake with chequered deck for the past two evenings. i only have the other decks up to green stake so went all in on chequered thinking "aw yeah this flush poo poo is easy i'll beat every stake with this ez"

but now i see flushes in my nightmares and have forgotten how to play a normal deck with four suits

BALATRO

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

been banging my dumb head against orange stake with chequered deck for the past two evenings. i only have the other decks up to green stake so went all in on chequered thinking "aw yeah this flush poo poo is easy i'll beat every stake with this ez"

but now i see flushes in my nightmares and have forgotten how to play a normal deck with four suits

BALATRO

Same for me, except for purple stakes. I tried some of the other decks for a change of pace and couldn't remember how to play anything that wasn't a Flush.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

:george:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

BALATRO

Lol same

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Color Printer posted:

I think Jimbo should have more lines. Beyond that lmfao wtf

Zamujasa posted:

i do wish jimbo had more lines and appearances, though. they should put in an option like old Hoyle Card Games that let you turn up how talkative he is, from "shows up at the end only" to "clowns on every single hand you play"
The demo had the final boss on its own ante, with the blank space from not having any big or small blind being filled by Jimbo popping up and basically going "Yikes, I hope you've prepared for this one!"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think it's just a classic case of the average gamer still thinking about the medium the same way they did as a kid, e.g. "It would be so cool if this game had an epic story and you could see the jokers battling against the boss ante when you played your hands and there was a choice and consequence system with dialogue and you could talk to your jokers to build a relationship with them to unlock new abilities and and and" type bullshit where they have no idea how games are made and their contributions mostly amount to daydream delusional poo poo.

I worked in social media for a few small games and it's pretty much how the majority of people think, and an astonishing amount of them are grown rear end adults.

Story, seeing your allies fight against the boss, choices (ish), dialogue, joker, building relationships to unlock abilities, tarot...

Atlus, hire the Balatro guy for Persona 5!

Joke aside, that sounds indeed like a game that could be a lot of fun. Not the same kind of fun as Balatro, but it'd be a different game at that point. I get wanting it, but it's weird to want one game to be another. Like, I've got Melvor Idle running right now, I don't need Balatro have like, a mastery level for 5s or whatever.

Some RNG mitigation would be nice though, or shuffling of stakes. Green stake as the first one would be a fine place to start, a limitation that's not just restriction, but lets you change things up a bit.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm not expecting deep story/gameplay integration but it does seem like the game could use some kind of payoff involving Jimbo or a more exciting final boss than just the ante 8 crew. Might be like Slay the Spire where a 'true' boss is added later.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no, imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Put Jimbo as a goldfish opponent, where you can set up your deck/hand/jokers/etc any way you'd like and just see number go up

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The heart equivalent already exists, it's beating ante 11

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm not expecting deep story/gameplay integration but it does seem like the game could use some kind of payoff involving Jimbo or a more exciting final boss than just the ante 8 crew. Might be like Slay the Spire where a 'true' boss is added later.

i dont need a story but I do agree the won a run fanfare could be more bombastic. one of the best parts of winning a run of FTL or StS is hearing the awesome victory music

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
madness is the joker I need to beat gold stake. I don't like Orange/Gold stake very much and I thought Erratic deck would be my ticket but it turns out any deck can do it, you just need madness early on and then a couple of planet cards or eternal jokers in the right direction and any strategy will work. I have lost my balatro mojo getting my rear end kicked at gold stake for the past week.

The only addition I want to this game is a NG+ cheater mode where you can save your favourite setups/wins and use them again

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Well that got dumb in a hurry. Had double foil DNAs after the first ante boss, picked up even steven and hologram shortly after, fully half my deck was steel 8s by the end. Ride the Bus did essentially nothing, I picked it up doing a negative skip in ante 7 hoping to find a sacrifice joker in case I got verdant leaf.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I really need an undo button because I'm the kind of fool who slam buys the voucher right before noticing the hermit for sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
love this game but man, slamming my head against orange stakes and spamming restarts can be rough.