Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've also heard that for acrylics you can stick an AC filter at the end of the hose if you don't have a window but I've never tried that myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have mine laying on the ground on a carpet sample.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
$100 is a little low, but I'm skeptical that you need to spend at least ~$85 to get an airbrush that'll be fine for priming and base coating while you're learning. I'll find out later tonight I guess.

You may have accounted for this already, but don't forget that you'll want a respirator, airbrush cleaner, and thinner in your cost estimate. My total startup costs will approximately be:

$90 compressor + tank
$10 hose
$30 airbrush
$40 thinner + cleaner + flow improver
$20 respirator
$30 primers (black, grey, and white)

So the secondary stuff cost almost as much as the compressor+brush.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
There's two general parts to the argument against the Harbor Freight/Canadian Tire/whatever cheap brush.

1) They tend to be a massive pain to clean because they're not very well-engineered, and cleaning is the worst part of airbrushing, so why make that harder on a novice than it absolutely has to be? Quality of life is a huge factor in actually finishing out projects.

2) If you're buying a crappy airbrush for thirty bucks just to use for priming and base coating, and you're planning to buy a nicer brush that will let you actually paint for realsies at 80-100 bucks, why not spend ~$100 instead of ~$130?

Ultimately, if anyone has enough budgetary leeway to buy tiny plastic army figures at a hobby market rate, they have enough money to buy a decent set of tools. That may mean keeping the hobby budget minimal for a month or two to save up for the nicer thing, but buy once, cry once is a pretty real thing when it comes to tools with tight tolerances.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I finished a thing:

And a 360:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Gonna go out on a limb and say that's a nice thing.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Personally I use my cheapie $25 Masters airbrush a lot more than my Sotar 20/20 or even Badger Patriot. In part because I like the needle stop the Masters has versus the Patriot and I haven't quite gotten to the point of doing fine work that necessitates the Sotar's potential. Really I find the only downside of the Masters is the fiddly little nozzle, but I rarely need to futz with that. If you aren't totally ham-handed then it's fine enough to start with.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Get into painting and modeling 1/16th scale WW2 vehicles from Das Werk and Andy's Hobby HQ and learn to airbrush on those. They feel almost as big as the real thing, really easy to work with.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Painted up Barney and Grimace and pretty pleased with how they came out.

Is doing a pin wash or enamel wash and wiping it off the best way to preserve smooth gradients laid down with an airbrush? I didn't slap on a layer of a dark acrylic wash because I felt that relaying on the colors would ruin the nice transitions I'd put in.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Painted up Barney and Grimace and pretty pleased with how they came out.

Is doing a pin wash or enamel wash and wiping it off the best way to preserve smooth gradients laid down with an airbrush? I didn't slap on a layer of a dark acrylic wash because I felt that relaying on the colors would ruin the nice transitions I'd put in.

I prefer pin-washing the recesses because yeah, regular washes all over will usually filter the colour underneath to some degree. It also means you can do most of your basecoat and layer work with an airbrush to start, use the recess wash for shadows and then it's only a few highlights to finish up.

If you gloss varnish the model and then use oils thinned down a lot with white spirits the capillary action should pull the wash into the recesses without you having to do much (and you can tidy up with more white spirits if needed due to the gloss varnish protecting the layers underneath). The downside is that oils and white spirits take a while to dry but I usually only have an hour or two to paint at most so doing a pin wash and then coming back to it the next day works just great for me.

Cult of Paint are one of the biggest proponents for oil washing and they have a very informative video on recess washing which helped me a ton when I was getting back into painting last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19h5wmt8pNU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hooray I made some progress. Out of curiosity, I am wondering if I'm over-thinning my paints: do the monument blends need much thinning? I usually drip out like six drops of paint and add a 'touch the water cup, let a bit of water bead off into the stuff' so far, which seems to reliably get me the 'basically like milk' consistency the paint thinning video described.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Okay, so I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong here.

This is the effect that I'm trying to replicate - there's obvious a lot of purple and red undercoating here, with a layer of Pallid Wych Flesh or something similar over the top:

So I took Azathoth out of the Cthulhu Wars package, primed and slapchopped him:

Used Volupus Pink for the flesh and Snakebite Leather for contrast paints; and this looks kinda okay:

Then a drybrush, and this is where I hit the wall: I thought that I could emulate the fuzzy texture on the inspiration models with drybrushing and got this instead:

Which does not look good. How can I emulate the look of the inspiration miniatures?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You need to both mix your paints and also thin them out (see: artis opus drybrusy videos) so you can make the transition more gradual

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

2) If you're buying a crappy airbrush for thirty bucks just to use for priming and base coating, and you're planning to buy a nicer brush that will let you actually paint for realsies at 80-100 bucks, why not spend ~$100 instead of ~$130?

Because Airbrushes have a reputation for being finnicky, and I'd rather gently caress up a $30 brush than a $100 brush. Plus, you can make the same argument for a $200 brush vs. a $100 brush. I can believe that's true for the cheapest airbrushes you get in compressor + airbrush combo kits, but the ~$30 brushes seem usable.

After my first outing, I can tell I'm certainly the limiting factor, not the brush, and cleanup wasn't bad.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Extremely cool

Edit: did not hit refresh

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Because Airbrushes have a reputation for being finnicky, and I'd rather gently caress up a $30 brush than a $100 brush. Plus, you can make the same argument for a $200 brush vs. a $100 brush. I can believe that's true for the cheapest airbrushes you get in compressor + airbrush combo kits, but the ~$30 brushes seem usable.

For what its worth, Vinnie V agrees with you on that one. When I got my (cheap) airbrush a few months back I more or less marathoned a bunch of "getting started airbrushing" videos and in (one of) his ones he essentially says "Know you will ruin your first airbrush by mistake, accept that will happen, buy a cheap airbrush to ruin and upgrade later when you are confident you wont ruin a better one". So far I havent ruined mine, and for all that it was cheap I've not had any particular problems disassembling or cleaning it. Lots and lots of problems getting paint consistency vs air pressure right, but no problems I can blame on the brush.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I finished a thing:

And a 360:

:swoon:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone have any tips on making the background here flat black? I feel like I'm missing something. I got this new Maxx black backdrop and two desk ring lights from opposite sides, and this looks "good" but I can't figure out how to edit the image to be flat black without blowing out the rest of the mini

My phone also seems to be registering a weird aura around the mini...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone have any tips on making the background here flat black? I feel like I'm missing something. I got this new Maxx black backdrop and two desk ring lights from opposite sides, and this looks "good" but I can't figure out how to edit the image to be flat black without blowing out the rest of the mini

Get some black poster paper and hang it in a curve, then paint it black with Black 3.0 or Musou Black.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My phone also seems to be registering a weird aura around the mini...

Move the model further away from the backdrop- closer to the camera, and turn down the power of your lights.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cool puke.

Is there a good way to remove paint in a targeted way, for just part of a mini? I got an eye lens over-gunked and it would be a damned shame to strip the model, or even just the head, for that. Can I, I don't know, drip some Totally Awesome on the eye and seal the mini in a Tupperware, or something?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Finished a new infiltrator and since I found a nice way to light the minis, I snapped some proper pictures of my last couple while I was at it:

silencer wobbly so what, how you gonna silence a self-propelled round. Maybe that's why he looks so pissed

Feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the armor looking uniform without it taking infinite hours per mini, pretty satisfied with where it's at right now

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I finished a thing:

And a 360:

PoptartsNinja posted:

I finished a thing:

And a 360:

This is dope. I really dig the candy color paint job and the blends near the head. Also, the idea to place them where two distinct environments meet so you can show off incorporating each giant leg into the different scenes is really nice.

Spoilers for constructive criticism in case you just want to vibe in your accomplishment.

I like the idea of the base with meeting of very distinctive landscapes, but the execution is a little confusing. It might be a lack of 40k knowledge, but I'm not sure what the blue flames are. Also, I think the lava and the bottom of the foot need to be much brighter. Parts of the tentacles and shin guard are brighter than the lava and bottom of the foot, and the statue is much brighter than the surrounding lava.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Is it a little sloppy? Yes; I need to figure out how to control my brush strokes a bit better. Probably related to my poor handwriting.

But is it done? Also yes

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Spoilers for constructive criticism in case you just want to vibe in your accomplishment.

I like the idea of the base with meeting of very distinctive landscapes, but the execution is a little confusing. It might be a lack of 40k knowledge, but I'm not sure what the blue flames are. Also, I think the lava and the bottom of the foot need to be much brighter. Parts of the tentacles and shin guard are brighter than the lava and bottom of the foot, and the statue is much brighter than the surrounding lava.

I'm fine with constructive criticism, that's half the reason I post.

I definitely hear you on the lava, I just didn't have a good enough yellow to make it pop the way I wanted. The shadow of the knight doesn't help.

The blue flame is supposed to be a warp portal, which is why there's a melting altar on one side letting the knight through from a chaos hellscape on the other.I had trouble finding decent flame STLs and I'm not confident enough to sculpt the big twisting flames I wanted with green stuff. I agree, I should've found a way to push harder. I considered a chunk of obsidian being cut cleanly in half but the knight wound up taking up more real estate than I was expecting. Those bases seem huge right up until they're not. :haw:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SuperKlaus posted:

Cool puke.

Is there a good way to remove paint in a targeted way, for just part of a mini? I got an eye lens over-gunked and it would be a damned shame to strip the model, or even just the head, for that. Can I, I don't know, drip some Totally Awesome on the eye and seal the mini in a Tupperware, or something?

Isopropyl Alcohol on a Q-tip maybe.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Cool puke.

A knife.

There's no good solvent solution that doesn't involve removing and submerging a piece, because the edges of solvent application will be nastier than whatever error you were removing. In my experience, you can carefully remove the paint with a tool, or else remove and submerge the part. Anything else will look like a mess.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RangerScum posted:

Move the model further away from the backdrop- closer to the camera, and turn down the power of your lights.

I kept trying but could barely make any difference, I just don't think this Pixel 8 has a very good sensor tbqh. One light or two key lights, move the light closer or father back, turn down the power, etc, the camera keeps doing post processing it thinks is useful which makes it harder to modify and has a weird pixellation. Maybe I need to not use the default camera app.

This is after futzing with the levels in paint.net

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Is it a little sloppy? Yes; I need to figure out how to control my brush strokes a bit better. Probably related to my poor handwriting.

But is it done? Also yes

He looks great! Especially love the face and glowy eyes, and if there's sloppy lines, it works for the model anyway

But I really hope handwriting and painting skills are unrelated, because I hit my handwriting skill ceiling at age 10 and still exclusively write in ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME!

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I kept trying but could barely make any difference, I just don't think this Pixel 8 has a very good sensor tbqh. One light or two key lights, move the light closer or father back, turn down the power, etc, the camera keeps doing post processing it thinks is useful which makes it harder to modify and has a weird pixellation. Maybe I need to not use the default camera app.

The Open Camera app gives you direct control over all the available options, is free, and doesn't seem to have any annoying ads. Only downside is it's minimal in guidance so I don't have a clue how to effectively use it

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Seconding Open Camera if you're using an Android phone. If nothing else, you can set the white balance to manual to get it to stop loving up your values.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Doing a bunch of kitbashing for a buddies daughters of khaine army. He wants them to look "cyberpunk". I'm struggling to find a good source of themed bits. Looking for punk clothes, shades, tech, weapons, body parts etc. Anyone aware of am STL source (paid or unpaid) with this kinda themed stuff? I've found a few things that work but they're so integrated into the model they're being sold on that it's not worth it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Doing a bunch of kitbashing for a buddies daughters of khaine army. He wants them to look "cyberpunk". I'm struggling to find a good source of themed bits. Looking for punk clothes, shades, tech, weapons, body parts etc. Anyone aware of am STL source (paid or unpaid) with this kinda themed stuff? I've found a few things that work but they're so integrated into the model they're being sold on that it's not worth it.

Finding modular STL kits is pretty rare, but if you do a search for 'modular cyberpunk' you might hit a bits kit like this one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

The Open Camera app gives you direct control over all the available options, is free, and doesn't seem to have any annoying ads. Only downside is it's minimal in guidance so I don't have a clue how to effectively use it

Yeah I'm the same here. I used it and found that the pixel camera app overcompensates dramatically, but when I used that app for selfies it was flat and "washed out" and I don't quite know how to manipulate the settings yet.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
There's probably good 3rd party apps too, but I know that at least galaxy S23 has a normal and "pro" mode in the camera app, where the latter lets you control focus, shutter speed, iso and white balance, which I guess is all you need to get decent pictures

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Have you looked into the Escher kits for Necromunda? They're all punk rock ladies.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
People talking about airbrush ventilation has me worried. When I use my lovely built in compressor airbrush to do base coats I wear a mask, should I be using an airbrush booth instead?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lucinice posted:

People talking about airbrush ventilation has me worried. When I use my lovely built in compressor airbrush to do base coats I wear a mask, should I be using an airbrush booth instead?

it might be fine if you run an air purifier next to you but it's a consideration if you have other people and pets nearby. stuff can linger in the air

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lucinice posted:

If you're just spraying it without even like a cardboard box to catch overspray then you're shooting acrylic particles everywhere into your room. Eventually everything in that room will be covered in a fine layer of dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The next time you move something that's been untouched for a while you'll probably notice a patch of clean area. Depending on how much over spray were talking about, you maybe have just painted the walls around the table a different color.