Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah he seems like a chill guy but it only feels right for the number one to actually/finally be someone who was at least mostly playing in the best league on earth

Kinda wondering how Muslim basketball players in the NBA generally perform during Ramadan. It's a weird thought but I blame Nurk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Lockback posted:

Last year the west 9/10 was OKC and Pelicans who were both pretty good, and the Bulls/Toronto who were flawed teams but not neccessarily sucking absolute rear end. Chicago almost beat the Heat in the 2nd play in game and the Heat made it to the Finals.

Even the most flawed play-in match-ups afford us delightful entertainment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n64KQc0ybGk&t=23s

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kalensc posted:

Even the most flawed play-in match-ups afford us delightful entertainment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n64KQc0ybGk&t=23s

Yeah, this basically pays for like 10 years of play in games by itself.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah he seems like a chill guy but it only feels right for the number one to actually/finally be someone who was at least mostly playing in the best league on earth

Kinda wondering how Muslim basketball players in the NBA generally perform during Ramadan. It's a weird thought but I blame Nurk.

I never noticed a dip in play with Kanter when he was a double double machine off the bench

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hakeem Olajuwon was famously very good during Ramadan.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Lockback posted:

Yeah, this basically pays for like 10 years of play in games by itself.
:hai:
The Diar game was so much fun to watch live, just initially thinking I was going crazy when the screaming started. And it worked!!! Justifies the whole play in for a while.

Also never forget
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1647007546568241154?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/1768341584200737002

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
drat my man needs microscopic penis surgery

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

rip ben, it rules that you got to play so little basketball but get paid so much money

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

John Romero posted:

aint nothing wrong with being a cherry tomato boy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Toronto solved racism but in exchange little girls turn them into raging man babies

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

It feels like for my entire life the west has been stacked, making the play-in more interesting. I wonder if adding a Vegas and Seattle team out west and shifting Minnesota out east would actually rebalance the conferences. The Lakers and Warriors are also heading for a rebuild, but so many teams out east are in rough shape.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

John Romero posted:

A true Philly legend

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Diar game was so much fun to watch live, just initially thinking I was going crazy when the screaming started. And it worked!!! Justifies the whole play in for a while.

Also never forget

demar is from compton and vince staples says he knows people who know people so i'm sure diar will be fine if the bulls ever make it back to the play in

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/wojespn/status/1768347377159803007?s=20

By standard Bulls Injury Math, Coby's hip replacement surgery will be announced by Easter.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

Didn't realize LeBron was about to break this record.
https://twitter.com/pablofindsout/status/1768323475859464438

Wouldn't LeBron have already passed the record if Olympic points are counted? Is the record just points scored with clubs?

No, the record is Regular season + Playoffs + All-star games + International

LeBron's total for all of that is 48,410

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

hifi posted:

Post asb the blazers are 2-3 without him and 1-4 with him.
ummm they're literally undefeated with him in the lineup since yesterday

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Going by standard english orthography Diar should be pronounced like Die-er. Going by AAVE naming orthography it's DEE-ARH
I dont know how its actually pronounced though

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DeimosRising posted:

the play in IS the bubble. literally every season now comes down to the final two games to see who makes the playoffs

Which devalues the other 82, to me.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Just retire already

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

toggle posted:

Just retire already

And lose all the money and health care?? Not a chance

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I can’t believe that guy is such a faker he manifested holes in his spine.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ben can still come back and be useful
I believe in you Ben

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
He gets really good seats at the games!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

The sixers demand the doctors let them observe the surgery

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Red Rox posted:

He gets really good seats at the games!

lmao

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Rick posted:

he's still faking, just so committed to the bit that he got a spinal surgery he didn't need to keep up appearances

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
A microscopic partial discectomy is barely even surgery Pft. Small price to pay to keep cashing checks

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The spine is part of the nervous system which the brain is also part of so this is just more mental health bullshit he's spewing. Just suck it up Ben.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Glumslinger posted:

No, the record is Regular season + Playoffs + All-star games + International

LeBron's total for all of that is 48,410

Ah. I still think it is slightly higher than 48,410 though. 48,410 looks like it is just his NBA (regular season + playoffs) and Olympic points. That leaves out the 06 World Championship and 07 FIBA Americas. I think Schmidt's numbers may include international exhibition games.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 14, 2024

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

Ah. I still think it is slightly higher than 48,410 though. 48,410 looks like it is just his NBA (regular season + playoffs) and Olympic points. That leaves out the 06 World Championship and 07 FIBA Americas. I think Schmidt's numbers may include international exhibition games.

Yeah, that definitely doesn't include 06 or 07 international play, and I accidentally lost his ASG points as well

So, then based on those numbers, I think he is up to 49152 + however much you would get from the exhibition games (and also preseason maybe???)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I like the play in because it gives more teams some kind of postseason hope to care about, which means there are less teams with nothing to do but mark off calendar days until the lottery. Maybe a downside of this is that spots 7-9 on the roster are less competitive than they may have been when 8 was a hard cutoff, but the trade off is getting more competition at 9-11 with those teams having at least some incentive to win late season games.

There are always going to be three or four trash teams in each conference who have long since secured enough losses to claim top lottery spots, and getting in that bottom five is valuable enough to convince teams they should lose late season games on purpose, like the Mavs did last year. The play in at least makes it so that at most five teams can reach the end of a season knowing in advance that their season ends at game 82 regardless of how many games they win. The other ten teams have an 83rd game on the calendar and an opportunity for more if they can win games. Teams at #9 and #10 may not hustle so hard as they might have for a top eight cutoff but they're also not gonna shut it all down if they come up short. We lose out on situations where two or three or four teams' every game in the last two weeks is a do or die battle for #8 or nothing but we also don't have situations where you have somewhere between seven and nine bad-to-mediocre teams either out of contention for the playoffs or holding onto the eighth seed by virtue of the others not bothering to compete for it.

The play in game extending the range of playoff eligible seeds also has a nice effect of working as a second chance system for teams who are better than their regular season record indicates, maybe because they suffered through some bad injury luck, maybe because they started putting things together too late in the season to affect seeding. If you're a team like the Heat who fell to #8 last year, the old system put a lot of pressure on you to do everything possible to hold that spot or else get eliminated by the #9 team hunting for you. With the play in format the Heat can see a few weeks in advance that they will make the play in, all they need to do to make the playoffs then is beat one team worse than them in one game that matters. Or look at the Lakers last year who were out of the top 8 entirely for most of the year and even seemed out of the play in picture until they traded Westbrook, found success with their late season acquisitions and took that success all the way to the western conference finals.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

EoinCannon posted:

Ben can still come back and be useful
I believe in you Ben

So you're saying I should keep him in my fantasy squad?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1768378927813390343

Goat

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The great ones tell their spine holes "not today"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also never forget

meanwhile all Chris Paul's kids have their schoolmates approaching them to say "you know your dad will never win a ring, right?"

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Lockback posted:

The spine is part of the nervous system which the brain is also part of so this is just more mental health bullshit he's spewing. Just suck it up Ben.

:hmmyes:

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Fouls are way down, especially 3 in the key, since the ASG.

https://x.com/tomhaberstroh/status/1768336445142372436?s=20

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Booker wore his signature shoes tonight, which appear to have sections fashioned out of goat hide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

great game