Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

not a heavy launcher of this class, but do you all remember when Vulcan Centaur blew up three times in a row?

me neither

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

how about when the Artemis capsule exploded on reentry

wait that didn't happen either

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

where are you hate reading this thread from LOL

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

R.L. Stine posted:

i have become 100% convinced elon musk is a human-alien hybrid.

- barely human body shape
- space and mars fixation
- obsessed with populating the world
- doesn't know how to speak human
- elon (not a real name)

Also into The Great Replacement Theory

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

Potato Salad posted:

not a heavy launcher of this class, but do you all remember when Vulcan Centaur blew up three times in a row?

me neither

why does musk's poo poo blow up so often? i know he's not a good engineer but with the amount of money he throws at real engineers these results are pathetic.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Why did NASA kill so many people

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

geworfenheit posted:

why does musk's poo poo blow up so often? i know he's not a good engineer but with the amount of money he throws at real engineers these results are pathetic.

They take "Move fast and break things" as a literal directive.

Gotta blow up rockets or else you're not disrupting something something.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

show me your video of a Saturn V or Artemis Core blowing up, I guess
You said recent rockets aren't failing on their first launches, which is where we knew for sure you were high out of your brain. Electron, Terran-1, Alpha, CZ-5, CZ-7A, H-3, all of Astra's rockets, and a whole bunch of Chinese startups' new rockets. Judged as an expendable rocket, this 3rd test went perfectly. Starship would now be proven and operational if it was expendable. All the rest of your post was wrong as gently caress as well.

edit:
the first Saturn V test was not really expected to succeed, but the first stage had been extensively tested on the ground (in addition to being very over-engineered) and the 3rd stage had flown numerous times on Saturn 1B. If it had blown up, it wouldn't have changed anything.

Prettz fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 15, 2024

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

geworfenheit posted:

Basically it always can be traced back to an insanely stupid decision made by musk. Gluing pieces back together, not building flame trenches, using substandard metal, etc. he has pushed it all in an effort to save a buck or shave some time or just because he thinks a lot of these practices are boring. It’s the same as firing half of twitters staff and ripping servers out; he’s gotten really really really unbelievably lucky taking insanely risky gambles and having them pay off. Or there are often times where the consequences of failure don’t matter (twitter users apparently don’t care about random downtime). But with spaceflight, the microdetails matter. You can’t just pull parts out to see if it still works. He’s jettisoned hardwon learnings from decades and just keeps making unforced errors

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024

Prettz posted:

Judged as an expendable rocket, this 3rd test went perfectly. Starship would now be proven and operational if it was expendable. All the rest of your post was wrong as gently caress as well.

it's supposed to be a big rocket that you can use over and over again to navigate the great cosmos.

the biggest ever, in fact.

that's why he named it "starship".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Prettz posted:

You said recent rockets aren't failing on their first launches, which is where we knew for sure you were high out of your brain. Electron, Terran-1, Alpha, CZ-5, CZ-7A, H-3, all of Astra's rockets, and a whole bunch of Chinese startups' new rockets. Judged as an expendable rocket, this 3rd test went perfectly. Starship would now be proven and operational if it was expendable. All the rest of your post was wrong as gently caress as well.

edit:
the first Saturn V test was not really expected to succeed, but the first stage had been extensively tested on the ground (in addition to being very over-engineered) and the 3rd stage had flown numerous times on Saturn 1B. If it had blown up, it wouldn't have changed anything.

Siri what is a heavy launcher

oh

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Prettz posted:

but the first stage had been extensively tested on the ground (in addition to being very over-engineered) and the 3rd stage had flown numerous times on Saturn 1B

reread this and have a good long think about SpaceX's approach

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

poisonpill posted:

Basically it always can be traced back to an insanely stupid decision made by musk. Gluing pieces back together, not building flame trenches, using substandard metal, etc. he has pushed it all in an effort to save a buck or shave some time or just because he thinks a lot of these practices are boring. It’s the same as firing half of twitters staff and ripping servers out; he’s gotten really really really unbelievably lucky taking insanely risky gambles and having them pay off. Or there are often times where the consequences of failure don’t matter (twitter users apparently don’t care about random downtime). But with spaceflight, the microdetails matter. You can’t just pull parts out to see if it still works. He’s jettisoned hardwon learnings from decades and just keeps making unforced errors

Delightful criticism when the Chinese are dropping boost sections of their launchers with hydrazine on villages.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Judged as a mobile crematory device, this Tesla FSD test went perfectly

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Prettz posted:

Starship would now be proven and operational if it was expendable.

okay I may have fallen for an obvious joker here

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

reread this and have a good long think about SpaceX's approach
Uh huh, and what should I think about? Regale us

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

very little, apparently

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

judged as a sandwich, this launch was an absolute failure. just huge stink burger. can't even fit it on the plate let alone in your mouth.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ghostlight posted:

judged as a sandwich, this launch was an absolute failure. just huge stink burger. can't even fit it on the plate let alone in your mouth.

Bullshit. I can and have done so

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MunchE posted:

Nah, Tesla is a lovely automaker for a lot of reasons. Their cars are incredibly expensive to service/repair which is a double whammy because they're built extremely poorly. They passed off cheapness and cost cutting as "minimalism" and their QA is absolute garbage. Lots of them work Just Fine because the vast majority of all new vehicles work Just Fine, but Teslas have a very high amount of catastrophic failures that you don't see even from lovely automakers. They change the way the product is built mid model year which means trying to service the things is even harder because randomly they'll just Change poo poo. Whatever clever engineers used to be there in the early days are long loving gone. If you want Tesla run by adults, buy a Lucid which was made by the Model S program lead and is actually a nice car.

Basically their two gimmicks were "EV's are cool" and having a better charging network.

Now that everyone else in the world is making EVs, Tesla is opening up their charging network for quick cash and there's really no reason to buy one, which is why they're getting sold at deep discounts now. Why would you buy a Model 3 when you can get a BMW i4 that's actually nice inside for the same money? You wouldn't, which is why they've had to slash the prices so much.

https://lucidmotors.com/

You're describing most EVs though. None of the new manufacturers are making easy to repair vehicles. Hell, denting your rear quarter panel on a Rivian is a $19k repair. You can argue Tesla should have a better service infrastructure by now and you'd be right, but that was never going to happen because they deliberately avoided the dealership model. Which saved Tesla money, but cost them a dealership repair network.

All automakers suck rear end. Ford will sacrifice your family to save a penny just as fast as Tesla will. The only difference is none of know who the Ford CEO is without googling it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Prettz posted:

edit:

But it's not an expendable rocket, also it didn't reach orbit, so, yeah, in the sense that it accomplished none of the things it was designed to do, you could call it a perfectly proven and operational if your goal was to just burn methane in space and then fall to earth and burn up, it was quite a success.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Three Olives posted:

But it's not an expendable rocket, also it didn't reach orbit
It did. What was the rest of your post?

Can people get the loving basics right before attempting criticism?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

It did not.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They opened and closed a door on the thing

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

In the words of Goon Scott Manley, it didn't reach true orbit for safety reasons (so it wouldn't get stuck up there), but could easily have been in orbit. The trajectory was made to guarantee it would come down in the event that control wasn't possible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Peoples absolutely desperation to chase the dead end that is space makes them believe some crazy things

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

- elon (not a real name)

He's a cybertruck.

Grotesque, fragile, loved by morons.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TheBuilder posted:

In the words of Goon Scott Manley, it didn't reach true orbit for safety reasons (so it wouldn't get stuck up there), but could easily have been in orbit. The trajectory was made to guarantee it would come down in the event that control wasn't possible.

Yeah, and a Tesla can fully self-drive but doesn't for safety reasons.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Prettz posted:

It did. What was the rest of your post?

Can people get the loving basics right before attempting criticism?

I'm not the guy who is trying to say this didn't blow up 3 times in a row

everything I said is accurate, you're the clown trying to compare Electron with a heavy launcher lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Elon does have some pretty scary looking bodyguards I will give him that

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, and a Tesla can fully self-drive but doesn't for safety reasons.
And we should be thankful for that. What's the gold standard for self driving right now anyway?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CharlestheHammer posted:

Peoples absolutely desperation to chase the dead end that is space makes them believe some crazy things

it's pretty much this I guess

there's one born every minute

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

I'm not the guy who is trying to say this didn't blow up 3 times in a row

everything I said is accurate, you're the clown trying to compare Electron with a heavy launcher lol
Again, not a single thing in your post isn't wrong as gently caress.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

it's pretty much this I guess

there's one born every minute

lol so wise.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

R.L. Stine posted:

- elon (not a real name)

There is literally no evidence against any of this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MrMojok posted:

There is literally no evidence against any of this.

I’m a believer

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I bet Musk couldn't find Mars on a map.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the Boer room!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

*cracks beer* Yep. Mighty expensive explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

priznat posted:

Elon does have some pretty scary looking bodyguards I will give him that

Skinny legs . Not impressed