Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Don't worry. People will stop posting politics as they slowly give in and accept we're hosed.

No wait we'll continue to watch it in real time. SMDH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BRJurgis posted:

Don't worry. People will stop posting politics as they slowly give in and accept we're hosed.

No wait we'll continue to watch it in real time. SMDH!

Stop watching!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
If you don't believe in politics they can't hurt you.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What's the guy who thought covid had given every child in the world super aids up to these days. Making good rear end posts about some other topic I assume

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

kntfkr posted:

If you don't believe in politics they can't hurt you.

Just like if you inject politics to every conversation and every single thing you think, say, or type, then you're making a difference!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

counterfeitsaint posted:

Just like if you inject politics to every conversation and every single thing you think, say, or type, then you're making a difference!

I 100% understand why people inject politics into everything but I agree, it's exhausting.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Was the whole hyper-political thing on the forums before Trump got elected? Seems like that was the point everyone got really political about everything.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

People tend to talk politics a lot when politics gently caress over a lot of people

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Rad-daddio posted:

Was the whole hyper-political thing on the forums before Trump got elected? Seems like that was the point everyone got really political about everything.

LF was insane as gently caress going back to Ron Paul, and I think the Secret Service got involved (or maybe it was Lowtax bullshit)?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

LF was insane as gently caress going back to Ron Paul, and I think the Secret Service got involved (or maybe it was Lowtax bullshit)?

I wasn't here for any of that but I heard they found the special secret service account when Jeff bought the forums. I guess they used it like one time.

satanic splash-back posted:

People tend to talk politics a lot when politics gently caress over a lot of people

It's literally all most of us can do after voting and tossing a few dollars at some lesser evil who will still spend that poo poo on limo rides and $20 doughnuts. Definitely helps to get off social media and consume a little less news.

Gotta remind yourself you're probably not telling people anything new :(

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 15, 2024

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I tried going into LF a couple of times but it was loving nuts in there. I'm not sure if that's a fair characterization but that was my impression.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The Secret Service got involved because someone in LF posted a threat against (IIRC) George W Bush.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Didn't the the Secret Service thing turn out to be one of the lies from Lowtax? Along with the forums being underwater lol. Could be wrong there tho, all those details mash together and I'm too lazy to check into the specificity of his lying atm

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 15, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
GBS was never not political, as the disastrous GBS 2.0 shows (a dire and failed attempt to 'make GBS funny again' since it was getting too politics-y).

If you wanna avoid politics, theres forums for every subject you can imagine. But the general forums are inevitably going to have politics talk because we're humans and our interactions are inherently political.

At least no one is trying to push linguist Noam Chomsky's political theory here - a dude who is infamous for using his place in academia to ruin the lives of anyone who defies him. Dude is literally Sabul from The Dispossessed. His biggest concerns in life are his legacy and making sure no one calls him a fraud. All of his theory should be considered suspect and observed very critically under the lens of a man who is seeking eternal life through academic glory - not as some wise elder who wants to bring us truths which free us from capitalism.

Doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong about everything, there's absolutely good stuff in his theory, but he should be looked at as someone who figured out the things he did because he was a sneaky bastard and these strategies would further his career under capitalism.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 15, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

StrangersInTheNight posted:

GBS was never not political, as the disastrous GBS 2.0 shows (a dire and failed attempt to 'make GBS funny again' since it was getting too politics-y).

If you wanna avoid politics, theres forums for every subject you can imagine. But the general forums are inevitably going to have politics talk because we're humans and our interactions are inherently political.

At least no one is trying to push linguist Noam Chomsky's political theory here - a dude who is infamous for using his place in academia to ruin the lives of anyone who defies him. Dude is literally Sabul from The Dispossessed. His biggest concerns in life are his legacy and making sure no one calls him a fraud. All of his theory should be considered suspect and observed very critically under the lens of a man who is seeking eternal life through academic glory - not as some wise elder who wants to bring us truths which free us from capitalism.

Doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong about everything, there's absolutely good stuff in his theory, but he should be looked at as someone who figured out the things he did because he was a sneaky bastard and these strategies would further his career under capitalism.

All the things I know about the politics of Noam Chomsky I learned from a crazy wide-eye punk rock kid who somehow ended up in the military. I was skeptical of his claims and he was somewhat obnoxious and a little crazy. I tried to ignore most of it because I really didn't need to hear that poo poo at the time.

Everything he ever said has either happened or has otherwise been proven to be true. Which sucks cause he never had much good to say.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
baking a potato twice is dumb as hell, a waste of time!!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Baking a potato three times is the only true way to bring out the rich flavour

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Internet Old One posted:

All the things I know about the politics of Noam Chomsky I learned from a crazy wide-eye punk rock kid who somehow ended up in the military. I was skeptical of his claims and he was somewhat obnoxious and a little crazy. I tried to ignore most of it because I really didn't need to hear that poo poo at the time.

Everything he ever said has either happened or has otherwise been proven to be true. Which sucks cause he never had much good to say.

Yes well, turns out he's the guy who came up with manufacturing consent bc he has figured out how to manipulate systems to do so, to his own advantage.

And his leftism is a currency he uses to build an image of himself as a radical within the intelligentsia circles he frequents, while very notably not stepping outside of those manicured circles. It's true he may believe what he preaches, but it's also an accessory he wears to make a name for himself as the Radical Professor.

Some people will say he's doing the important work of trying to bring revolutionary thinking to the elite - very convenient how that allows him to keep existing as such and enjoying the life of the elite while supposedly 'working from the inside'. He challenges others to change their lives in ways he is unwilling to do himself, so nuts to him.

And he sees any and all criticism of leftist places as false and manufactured, such that he will deny genocides in an effort to claim they're all complex coordinated smear campaigns against leftism. The deaths of all these people are supposedly faked or blown out of proportion to serve capitalism's purpose of defeating leftism. Which could only be said by someone whose brain lives, works, and rots in smear campaigns and political maneuvering.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 15, 2024

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

If my existence is politicized without my consent then my fat gay rear end will be political *fart*

(no one is ever ready to hear a fart)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Baked potato is one of the, perhaps THE, worst forms of potato.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Baked potato is one of the, perhaps THE, worst forms of potato.

potato salad is easily the worst. baked is mid but nowhere near the bottom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Maybe I'm treading into dangerous waters here, but this is the "truths people don't want to hear" thread: People are free to use their vote however they wish, including not voting or voting third parties. No one, left, right, or center, is "entitled" to your vote.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What counts as a baked potato though? Potato skins? Stuffed potato? I'll agree though, a plain baked potato isn't great.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

potato salad owns wtf.

Scalloped potatoes is the worst way to potato

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/j58IKUGyj0Y?si=Z1q_EHaqh-30iKI4

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

potato salad is easily the worst. baked is mid but nowhere near the bottom

Potato salad can be great, can suck.

Baked is just boring. I'll eat it, don't get me wrong.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
mccluhan > chomsky

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Potato salad can be great, can suck.

Baked is just boring. I'll eat it, don't get me wrong.

im assuming baked comes w fixins, in this case. sour cream, bacon, chives, etc. it has to be the full experience. in which case it handily outperforms the salad configuration every time

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Baked potato is best experienced wrapped in foil and held in a mittened hand when outside in the freezing cold. If you are too good to eat a baked potato in the intended way then I can't help you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

im assuming baked comes w fixins, in this case. sour cream, bacon, chives, etc. it has to be the full experience. in which case it handily outperforms the salad configuration every time

Maybe you don't have enough fixins in your potato salad? Diced onion, jalapeno, pickle, radish, cilantro......

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Maybe you don't have enough fixins in your potato salad? Diced onion, jalapeno, pickle, radish, cilantro......

hot > cold. and that;s just Science.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot > cold. and that;s just Science.

Hmm, a fair rebuttal.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Baked potato is best experienced wrapped in foil and held in a mittened hand when outside in the freezing cold. If you are too good to eat a baked potato in the intended way then I can't help you.

What else are you supposed to be doing when crouching on a snowy plain and feasting on your baked potato

I feel like this deserves explanation or elaboration

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

rotinaj posted:

What else are you supposed to be doing when crouching on a snowy plain and feasting on your baked potato

I feel like this deserves explanation or elaboration
Baked potatoes are fall street vendor, fair, or camping food. But I like the idea of including featureless snowy plains in it's repertoire.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zedprime posted:

Baked potatoes are fall street vendor, fair, or camping food. But I like the idea of including featureless snowy plains in it's repertoire.

Who's getting a baked potato from a street vendor? C'mon!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Maybe I'm treading into dangerous waters here, but this is the "truths people don't want to hear" thread: People are free to use their vote however they wish, including not voting or voting third parties. No one, left, right, or center, is "entitled" to your vote.

Well yeah sure. And we're free to dislike that. Just like how the 1st Amendment means you can say what you like but doesn't mean everyone has to like what you say, if you choose to not vote, sure that's your choice - but you can't dictate that people can't comment on it.

If you made a choice to opt out of the system, which does have an affect on others when you do it, then at least have the spine to stand by it instead of getting all, oh no the liberals are shaming me, how rude. Is your moral conviction so weak, that's all it takes to be rattled? No one is stopping anyone from not voting, no one can kidnap you and make you vote - they're just commenting on it loudly.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 15, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Well yeah sure. And we're free to dislike that. Just like how the 1st Amendment means you can say what you like but doesn't mean everyone has to like what you say, if you choose to not vote, sure that's your choice - but you can't then be all, how dare you shame me, boo hoo don't give me poo poo for my choices.

You made a choice to opt out of the system, at least have the spine to stand by it instead of getting all, oh no the liberals are shaming me, how rude.

If you don't vote, you're not "opting out of the system" because politics is not showing up to pull a lever every four years. And if voting is everyone's right to use however they wish, then no one has a right to shame you for how you choose to use that right. It's like buying a car and having it stipulated that the car can only be used to drive to the grocery church and work (yes, I know owning a car isn't a right, but the point stands).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If you don't vote, you're not "opting out of the system" because politics is not showing up to pull a lever every four years. And if voting is everyone's right to use however they wish, then no one has a right to shame you for how you choose to use that right.

What is politics if its not voting?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i posted itt without voting on it, the 5 options did not fully align with my views

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

If you don't vote, you're not "opting out of the system" because politics is not showing up to pull a lever every four years. And if voting is everyone's right to use however they wish, then no one has a right to shame you for how you choose to use that right. It's like buying a car and having it stipulated that the car can only be used to drive to the grocery church and work (yes, I know owning a car isn't a right, but the point stands).

People criticize each other for poo poo as simple as car choices all the time, to be logically sound this requires humanity to become Not Humanity, but an idealized version of humanity that exists only philosophically.

The stigma around shame & voting is largely a performative online leftist thing about how they're so much better than the libs because they don't comment on voting, which is why it makes my eyes roll back into my head. It's just more status jockeying and reactionary bullshit. Why the gently caress leftists put so much energy into hating on libs in this world full of fascists, I can't say for sure (I think largely embarrassed at their former selves and lashing out), but like Gandalf and her graham cracker, it is their favorite activity.

Meanwhile the reality for the not eternally online is, people WILL shame you for this choice so toughen the gently caress up if you're going to do that.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 15, 2024