Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Story old as time.

I 27F am falling for my sister’s 26F ex 26M. Would it be unreasonable to date him?

quote:

So I’m in a pretty complicated situation. My sister Amy was dating Paul for 2 1/2 years. From when she was 22-24. I wasn’t too close with him but we got along.

Well unfortunately he cheated with her best friend and this hurt my sister a lot. I was angry and hurt that he would do that my sister. My sister became depressed, and still has trust issues to the point she’s scared to date.

Recently, I went on a cruise with my friend and her bf (third wheeling). He saw me on the bar at the pool. He said hi and I was very cold to him. I told him about himself and to my surprise he accepted accountability. He told me the guilt he feels to this day and he's matured over the years.

I decided to let bygones be bygones and him and I started hanging out as we were both third-wheeling. We did excursions, shopping, etc. I didn't realize how strong our chemistry was. One night we both had a drunken mishap and hooked up. After that the cat was out the bag and we hooked up a couple times.

When I got back him and I been texting and we are considering taking things more serious. I haven't talked to my sister about it. But I can tell he's changed and a better person. Plus it's been a couple years

Comments posted:

This is a disaster just waiting to happen

I don’t think so. I get what he did was bad but I feel like as a society we don’t give people enough grace to change

You can give people the grace to change without sleeping with them
He broke his ex girlfriend's heart and gave her trauma by cheating on her with her best friend of all people then comes back years later and sleeps with her sister of all people
If he truly changed and bettered himself as a person he wouldn't be hooking up with his ex's sister
Cheaters are also chronic liars and players and you feel right into his hands
And let's not forget the massive betrayal to your sister

Was he just never supposed to date again? It wasn’t like we intended for this to happen. We just had such a strong connection.
Would it be better just to pretend we don’t have a connection?
The part where she justifies her wanting to jump the bones of her sister's cheating ex with a high-minded "as a society we don’t give people enough grace to change" had my guffawing.

Three weeks later...

quote:

I decided to give him a chance….well he’s still a disgusting cheater.

A few weeks ago I decided to tell my sister what happened and what I we were planning. She didn’t take it well at all and has blocked me and said I’m dead to her. That broke my heart ….but I was optimistic as she continued to heal from the breakup and find someone new she would get over it. Perhaps even learn to be happy for me.

When I was over his place last night I noticed a bonnet. It was not mind and I don't wear bonnets usually. That raised my suspicion, I didn’t say anything and waited for him to fall asleep. I used the face ID to unlock it when he was sleeping.

I went through his phone and it was bad. I woke him up and told him he's a disgusting person.

I've never felt so alone. I haven't even told my sister yet but I want her to know that I fell for his lies and that I'm sorry
I got with a known cheater, and he cheated on me!

LOL, she fell for his big sad puppy-dog eyes "I've changed, really!" routine hook, line, and sinker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol her sister is going to laugh in her face so hard

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I hope she'll decide that now that she's been traumatized as well, her sister needs to instantly forgive her and also take care of her.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Captain Hygiene posted:

thhatTT brrrEASTAURANTT connncEPTT yooUU lliiIKKE issSS gooilINNG toO coOMME baCKK inNN sstYLLE

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Maroon Hawk posted:

lol her sister is going to laugh in her face so hard

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FMguru posted:

Story old as time.

I 27F am falling for my sister’s 26F ex 26M. Would it be unreasonable to date him?

This one is just too spot on, but the kicker is that FaceId doesn’t work when someone’s eyes are closed.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I slept with a leopard and it ate my face! WTF!!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I had a manager who'd often go to lunch at the Tilted Kilt because she liked some salad they had on the menu. She always called it "The lovely Titty" lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This one is just too spot on, but the kicker is that FaceId doesn’t work when someone’s eyes are closed.

drop some googly eyes on em and it does

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FMguru posted:

Three weeks later...

:rubby:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

And for the horny businessman on the go, there's always bikini baristas!

My wife and I accidentally stopped at one of these when we needed some coffee on a long car ride. The name was subtle enough (Ladybug Espresso, IIRC) that it didn't occur to us that it was one of those places until we saw the barista in her underwear. Apart from the attire, it was just like any other roadside espresso stand.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

trickybiscuits posted:

This one was a bit of a roller coaster

AITA for telling my disabled friend that "not everything should have wheelchair access"

Story's giving me ragebait vibes but if it's real this guy

quote:

I followed up with (here's where I may have been the A-hole), "I know this is your whole 'thing' but not everything should have wheelchair access." She just stared and then said, "Well, I guess now I know who's secretly ableist" and then went to her room.

is not her friend and yes probably is pretty ableist

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Via r/OhNoConsequences:

AITA For refusing to let my mom see my 2 months old daughter after she disowned me?

quote:

I (M27) met my now wife (F35) who was a single parent with three kids. She was 8 years older than me and we met when I came home. We started dating I met her kids and they seemed so sweet and we got along pretty well and I felt relieved because I was worrying too much my step kids wouldn't like me but I'm grateful to have met them and their mother.

My mom went crazy when I told her. She started arguing a lot. Telling me that marrying a single mother who's older than me wasn't going to happen, she got the whole family to agree with her. And tried pressuring me into going out with someone from the church who's nearly the same age as me. I got fed up with this and I left after I told her no and that I was going to get married to my now wife with or without their approval.

My mom casually sent me a text the next day that she and the entire family disowned me and that I will never be allowed to come home after that then everyone blocked me and refused to talk to me.

My wife and I got married two months after I left home. We've now been married for 2 years and we have a 2 months old baby girl. She's the only girl with three boys so she was a sweet new addition to our family.

Last week. I started receiving calls from a number that I didn't recognize til I found out it was my mom. She knew that my wife and I had a baby girl and wanted to see her saying that my daughter is her grandbaby that she has a biological connection to.

I spoke with my friend who admitted telling my family about our newborn and how the whole family was excited to meet her. My sister reached out to me after I refused to let my mom visit and told me that I was being cruel and unfair to her for not wanting her to see her grandbaby. She told me that I shouldn't forget that my daughter is family and that will never change no matter what.

I got mad. I just couldn't help but get mad and argue with her because everyone sided with my mom who disowned me and told me to not come home ever again. And now they think I'd allow my mom to see my daughter because she is family to her.

They tried to set up a meeting twice but I refused. They're calling me cruel and using my daughter to get back at my mom for "personal" issues we had before. Completely forgetting what she did to prevent me from being with my wife.
When I disowned you, I didn't mean disowned disowned! Stop being so unreasonable!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Another reading from the Book Of Pete

AITAH for asking for divorce when my husband spent the night at his ex?

quote:

We have been married since September. Together since 2019. Expecting our first child. I love him very much. No other issues but his dear friend Emma who is also his exgf. In the beginning it was a lot of touchy feely, even before I knew they were exes I found it odd. When I later found out they were together for several years I mentioned my discomfort to him and at first he thought it was ridiculous but later he respected my feelings and set boundaries. I don’t consider myself the jealous type, not even remotely. My husband has a lot of friends both male and female and I trusted him like he trusted me. But sitting on my (at the time fiancé’s) lap acting cute and childish was just a boundary that was crossed for me.

He didn’t come home Saturday and he called me and said that he was very drunk and staying at his buddy’s house. The morning after he casually told me that he spent the night at Emma’s. I literally wanted to vomit. I packed my things and called my dad to come and pick me. I did it when he was at work on Monday. I texted him that it was over. “I’m done”

He’s been calling and texting all week and coming to my parents’ house every day to want to speak to me but I refuse. All I answered is that once we start the divorce, he could reach me through my lawyer. The thing is. I will never know and I can’t live like that. It’s like Schrödinger’s cat. I will never know for sure if the cat is dead until I open the box. I will never know for sure if he cheated until he confesses to it.

My friends think that I am overreacting. My parents are supportive but only because they respect my decisions and always have. They haven’t uttered their opinion. My husband is going mental and Emma, well she texted me swearing up and down that nothing happened with a “lol” and “don’t be this insecure and sensitive” I told her that this was between my husband and me and it had nothing to do with her and her answer was “It’s not like we hosed”. I didn’t answer.
After dumping the dead weight of her cheating husband, OP should see about upgrading her circle of friends too. Also, good on OP's parents for supporting her.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Story's giving me ragebait vibes but if it's real this guy

is not her friend and yes probably is pretty ableist

I feel like there's a pretty loving big difference between "it's not reasonably practical to make everything wheelchair accessible" and "not everything should have wheelchair access, because reasons"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I feel like there's a pretty loving big difference between "it's not reasonably practical to make everything wheelchair accessible" and "not everything should have wheelchair access, because reasons"

Sure, I just think the casual contempt by OP towards his target implies he probably doesn't take her seriously at all. He's annoyed by her accessibility "thing" and was no longer able to hide it. Maybe they were never close but I got the impression the group was supposed to be friendly.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Sure, I just think the casual contempt by OP towards his target implies he probably doesn't take her seriously at all. He's annoyed by her accessibility "thing" and was no longer able to hide it. Maybe they were never close but I got the impression the group was supposed to be friendly.

Oh no I agree with you, the guy you quoted is pretty clearly in the "we should leave some things inaccessible, because gently caress you and for no other reason" camp and deserves to be launched off the trail they hiked

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

impossible for someone to be annoying with their poo poo but still be right most of the time and have friends

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Qylvaran posted:

My wife and I accidentally stopped at one of these when we needed some coffee on a long car ride. The name was subtle enough (Ladybug Espresso, IIRC) that it didn't occur to us that it was one of those places until we saw the barista in her underwear. Apart from the attire, it was just like any other roadside espresso stand.

I was driving through Everett, WA one summer evening in 2014. I pulled into a small parking lot on th edge of town to have a smoke, and there it was, a small pink kiosk with signs that said "Java Juggs". The place was closed but it still felt kind of skeezy. I finished my cigarette, got back in the car, and googled it on my phone, and what do you, the place was shut down for prostitution and money laundering, but also the local police was possibly corrupt and entrapped a bunch of lingerie coffee places in the area. I then drove to the local Walmart, and it had exactly one aisle of fruits and vegetables in the whole place.

loving Everett lol.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If you got bad legs you should get into deep sea submarines. Not hiking.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not letting my relatives stay in my house when they visited without telling me?

quote:

I live by myself, and I travel a lot for my work.

About 8 hours ago I came home and took a nap which turned into a 4 hour snooze fest.

I woke up to knocking on my gate and yelling.

I went to see it and it was my cousin Ed and his siblings along with an aunt and her kids and grandkids, it was about a dozen of them all smiling at me.

Ed told me there was going to be a little family reunion and they needed me to let them stay at my house because it was the only place that had enough room.

I said no and told them I had no prior knowledge nor did they inform me beforehand.

I also told him the reason I live by myself is because I don't trust most of my relatives.

Ed told me they have no money and other relatives can't host then as their houses aren't big enough.

I told him they could stay with another aunt but her house is unfinished and has major leakage.

They begged me and I still said no, I offered to melt the younger ones stay with me but that's it.

They swore at me and left instead. Ed told me I was an rear end in a top hat but I shot back that he didn't inform me and he should know I won't let anyone else stay at my house because he was one of the reasons for it (he threw a party, got drunk, started a fight, and destroyed my tv).

AITA? I feel bad for turning them away but they should have asked me first.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

FMguru posted:

“It’s not like we hosed”

Jesus Christ what a loaded statement.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

hawowanlawow posted:

impossible for someone to be annoying with their poo poo but still be right most of the time and have friends

She was also trying to use the language of social justice to resolve a personal issue, which in this case was really not helpful and actually hindered communication.

She agreed to do something else for one day but changed her mind. But she tried to frame it as a disability rights issue, even though I honestly don't believe she actually thought it would be a good idea to build a cable car to the top of an active volcano. What she actually wanted was for her friends to change their plans for her, even though she had agreed to the plan previously. It's better to be honest with her friends and herself, and discuss her wants and needs on their own terms, instead of framing it in terms of a larger social issue that no one can reasonably object to.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

She was also trying to use the language of social justice to resolve a personal issue, which in this case was really not helpful and actually hindered communication.

She agreed to do something else for one day but changed her mind. But she tried to frame it as a disability rights issue, even though I honestly don't believe she actually thought it would be a good idea to build a cable car to the top of an active volcano. What she actually wanted was for her friends to change their plans for her, even though she had agreed to the plan previously. It's better to be honest with her friends and herself, and discuss her wants and needs on their own terms, instead of framing it in terms of a larger social issue that no one can reasonably object to.

:hmmyes:

This is a interesting, nuanced story that's generated some great conversation. Y'all are the best. :glomp:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I think it's pretty selfish that they (according to the story) built the entire trip around accommodating her except for one thing at the end and she changed her mind and tried to guilt the rest of her friends into not doing that single thing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

Jesus Christ what a loaded statement.

My "it's not like we hosed" t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions that are answered by my shirt

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FMguru posted:

Another reading from the Book Of Pete

After dumping the dead weight of her cheating husband, OP should see about upgrading her circle of friends too. Also, good on OP's parents for supporting her.

Same story as the one where a friend's daughter sat on hubby's lap

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FMguru posted:

Via r/OhNoConsequences:

AITA For refusing to let my mom see my 2 months old daughter after she disowned me?

When I disowned you, I didn't mean disowned disowned! Stop being so unreasonable!

a good test for reestablishing ties with his mother would be whether she'd agree to treat all the kids like grandchildren instead of just the latest and it appears that she's already angling for the opposite, so :byewhore:

e: not that they're obliged to give her another chance at all

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 15, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole point of Smash Bros is that you can play it however the gently caress you want. Every game has added more customisation for item drops, stage settings, and modes that make it even more gimmicky, as well as modes clearly aimed towards the competitive players. Nobody's threatening to invalidate your fun by not playing the same way you play. You can make fun of gross assholes for being gross assholes.

Desert Bus posted:

If you got bad legs you should get into deep sea submarines. Not hiking.

You trying to get em killed now?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

a good test for reestablishing ties with his mother would be whether she'd agree to treat all the kids like grandchildren instead of just the latest and it appears that she's already angling for the opposite, so :byewhore:

From what I can tell she doesn’t even want to re-establish ties with him. Just the granddaughter.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The Lone Badger posted:

From what I can tell she doesn’t even want to re-establish ties with him. Just the granddaughter.

Probably planning to steal the granddaughter back to the bosom of her church.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Sorry, when you disown a kid you also disown any future progeny they might produce. Love how the flying monkeys are trying to pull "it's fammmmmily" as if the OP isn't also family.

Regarding the saga of the lazy housewife and the unmailed letters, is there a reason they can't drive by the post office and drop them all in the outgoing mail? I guess if they're paychecks they might want to send them insured or traceable or something, but it seems like standing in long lines at the post office shouldn't be entirely necessary to just mail some checks. That said, I work freelance now and getting paid on time--or at all, sometimes--is hit or miss, so gently caress her "well, I was going to take them the following day" bullshit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some people are just incapable of doing things without getting in their own way.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Writer to Carolyn Hax making me feel a little stabby:

quote:

Dear Carolyn:
One of my friends has had fibromyalgia for the past year. It makes me sad, and so I like to find alternative treatments and cures and tell her about them. She’s gotten really annoyed with me for doing this, but I am only trying to help, and I think she should be more willing to listen to what I’ve found. She has a doctor she sees regularly and takes medication, but I don’t know why she brushes it off when I give her my advice. I feel really unappreciated and am starting to wonder if she even wants to feel better.

"She has a doctor and is on medication, but why won't she just try this One Simple Trick Doctors Don't Want You to Know?"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

AITA for pushing my sister cup off my dresser?

quote:

NO THIS IS NOT A CAT POST

My sister is annoying and leaves her cups on my dresser even tho I tell her not too so I started knocking them over when she does. Usually they’re empty but there’s been a few times there was a little left and some split. She has to clean it and also doesn’t leave them there as much so it worked but was that an rear end in a top hat way to fix this??

Yes I tried talking to her but that didn’t work

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Troublemaker posted:

Writer to Carolyn Hax making me feel a little stabby:

"She has a doctor and is on medication, but why won't she just try this One Simple Trick Doctors Don't Want You to Know?"
:thermidor:

Speaking as somebody with a disability, you have no loving idea how many times people have suggested their family's energy drink, the herbal mixture made by their friend, chiropracty, acupuncture, magnets in the mattress ...

I get that you don't want me to be sick. I don't want me to be sick. But please give me the courtesy to assume that I, too, can google.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking as somebody with a disability, you have no loving idea how many times people have suggested their family's energy drink, the herbal mixture made by their friend, chiropracty, acupuncture, magnets in the mattress ...

I get that you don't want me to be sick. I don't want me to be sick. But please give me the courtesy to assume that I, too, can google.

Have you considered traveling beyond the boundaries of the known world and hunting the last unicorn and, while ultimately this will curse the world to have the last of its magic fade, drain its blood to grant you succor and everlasting life?

Its more of a bing result, so you might have missed it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

r/relationships: NO THIS IS NOT A CAT POST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well how will you know if you don't try colloidal silver, which I happen to sell as a home based entrepreneur?