Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gnostic Byzantium run here we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Super interested in seeing more of what is obviously EU5.

Now let's see if they can release it with fun mechanics AND flavor for the different countries. Hoping it's not another Vicky 3 that took a while to have either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
reddit thinks the start date is probably 1337. The map of india apparently looks like the 1330s, and that's the year the hundred years war started

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cheetah7071 posted:

reddit thinks the start date is probably 1337. The map of india apparently looks like the 1330s, and that's the year the hundred years war started
Starting over 100 years earlier would be wild to me. Maybe we would get an earlier end date then so the Napoleonic Wars could be represented by a new game that had a 100-150 year span to cover from EU5 to Vicky3?

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

That would be a pretty ambitious start and would overlap with CK3 by over 100 years. Would be interesting to see how the maps develop differently though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Starting over 100 years earlier would be wild to me. Maybe we would get an earlier end date then so the Napoleonic Wars could be represented by a new game that had a 100-150 year span to cover from EU5 to Vicky3?

This is probably my dream scenario, personally, but seems unlikely.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

1337 would precede the Black Death, so maybe an opportunity to show off the new pop system in a big splashy way at the start of the game?

But I think the Yuan had Tibet/bits of SE Asia then?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hellioning posted:

This is probably my dream scenario, personally, but seems unlikely.
Agreed, but its fun to dream.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I think the Yuan had Tibet/bits of SE Asia then?
Could be subjects?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I would expect 1356 to be the earliest date, just because the HRE had such a central position in Europe, and it would nicely sidestep the Black Death.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

start date is around 1370 based on the map they showed

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hope the game's timespan is only like, twenty years. Then maybe i'll finish a run

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i want to play it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They really need to cut out the Napoleonic period into its own game again. There's just too much change to model it the same way you can 1400.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh poo poo EU5! How did I miss this! Looks freaking awesome!!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It’s obviously EU5 at least in spirit, but I wonder if they’ll go with a less Eurocentric name for it this time? EU4 has already been moving away from the focus on Europe over its lifespan, as other areas are fleshed out and mechanics reworked to make competing with European powers easier, to the point where the name is kind of misleading, not to mention awkward

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean Victoria is still called Victoria even though you can play as everywhere in the world. Crusader Kings was still called Crusader Kings even when you could play as a pagan republic.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Calling Rome 2 Imperator didn't really work out either.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Gaius Marius posted:

They really need to cut out the Napoleonic period into its own game again. There's just too much change to model it the same way you can 1400.

March of the Eagles II spanning 1750 to 1823 would be interesting, especially given you'd have the Revolution around the midpoint on historical timing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

V for Vegas posted:

Calling Rome 2 Imperator didn't really work out either.

Maybe if they'd called Imperator 'Europa Universalis: Origins' it would have had a better reception, given that it was really mostly iterating on EU4.

I'm glad they're doing pops in this, I:R especially later on had a really nice military dynamic with how levies and standing armies impacted your economy and population, and how warfare had you considering the population of an area not just its size and resources.

Oh man, Anbennar 2 in this engine.... it's going to be great in 2027 or whenever.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

One more update on my Mulen playthrough (stealthily trying to get people to play Anbennar again because it's kindof awesome):

Still haven't done any tall play, but most of the way there now in terms of the conquest required. Of course whether doing any development as the soon-to-be undisputed #1 world power is meaningful, is, well, debatable.

But for all my complaints it's been very fun to do. Reminds of starting as a French vassal or similar in EU4, it's painful but you actually get something out of it, unlike the more painful of vanilla EU4 starts.

e: Also the solution to not having money is trade and trade companies, the forbidden plains and serpentspine are a different continent and so can be assigned to them. They are also far easier to take over than Bulwar itself and you can really milk them for trade. You can also siphon off trade from Rahen via trade ships and then route it through your trade centers.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 14, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Private Speech posted:

(stealthily trying to get people to play Anbennar again because it's kindof awesome):

I never really stopped, I just don't post about it much. Anbennar owns though and probably doubled EU4's already huge lifespan for me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some of the cool recently-added/updated starts in anbennar right now?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jay Rust posted:

What are some of the cool recently-added/updated starts in anbennar right now?

It got added in the last patch and was in the Bitbucket for a while before, but I enjoyed Cestirmark (?), one of the Trollsbay Adventurer tags. The MT has a habit of wanting you to jump through very specific hoops, but it's still a cool mix of uniting the bay through diplomacy, establishing a tall-ish early USA style Republic, flipping Ravelian, and setting up a sort of spooky FBI to investigate weird precursor poo poo. It's a fun narrative.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

For the latest steam release? Yinquan is a large mission tree about a nation run by fox spirits who can trigger the Rending early. Bianfang has an option to go Mystic Accord, or forcibly reject the spirits now when the Rending starts with a fairly cool event.

Luciande (Company of the Thorn formable) is country all about being an openly vampire run nation. Triggers a big coalition war against all of Cannor that you just need to survive long enough to get your Ravenloft style mist borders working, cause winning isn't really practical without exploits.

The Freemarches is tag founded by escaped orcish slaves in the new world. To get it you have to own 3 provinces in Dalaire or have a colonial nation with that many while having the orcish slave trader variable on. Then around 1520 you get an option to play as escaped slaves. The actual mission tree proper is about building a home for yourself in the Curse One forst and then going back to conquer the colonial slaver nations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wafflecopper posted:

It’s obviously EU5 at least in spirit, but I wonder if they’ll go with a less Eurocentric name for it this time? EU4 has already been moving away from the focus on Europe over its lifespan, as other areas are fleshed out and mechanics reworked to make competing with European powers easier, to the point where the name is kind of misleading, not to mention awkward

Gaius Marius posted:

Yuiiut posted:

March of the Eagles II spanning 1750 to 1823 would be interesting, especially given you'd have the Revolution around the midpoint on historical timing.
The Europa Universalis name would make a lot more sense for that period too. Still, if we're talking about a more war-focused game, then you might as well give it the full 1736-1836 time span, given that the War of Austrian Succession is basically a prequel to the Seven Years War, which itself fits very neatly into what I would assume would be the focus of the game: Europe becoming ascendant and the fight over which European country would be the dominant force going into the 19th century.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Wafflecopper posted:

This is my suspicion as well. I can’t imagine another reason they would be playing so coy with announcing the name of what is obviously going to be the sequel to EU4.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Private Speech posted:

One more update on my Mulen playthrough (stealthily trying to get people to play Anbennar again because it's kindof awesome):

Still haven't done any tall play, but most of the way there now in terms of the conquest required. Of course whether doing any development as the soon-to-be undisputed #1 world power is meaningful, is, well, debatable.

But for all my complaints it's been very fun to do. Reminds of starting as a French vassal or similar in EU4, it's painful but you actually get something out of it, unlike the more painful of vanilla EU4 starts.

e: Also the solution to not having money is trade and trade companies, the forbidden plains and serpentspine are a different continent and so can be assigned to them. They are also far easier to take over than Bulwar itself and you can really milk them for trade. You can also siphon off trade from Rahen via trade ships and then route it through your trade centers.

Best Bulwar tree is Karashar. Topic Locked.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Freemarches also pwn as a like mix between orc canada and palmares

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've never properly tried playing as a spawnable in anbennar, like are you meant to just hit speed 5 until 1550? Seems so weird!

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Jay Rust posted:

I've never properly tried playing as a spawnable in anbennar, like are you meant to just hit speed 5 until 1550? Seems so weird!

Iirc the spawnable gets more starting money/mana/tech/institutions/other buffs depending on the state of the country which spawned it, so playing your origin country well still benefits you.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Spawnables inherit tech and institutions, and get money based on your dev.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just did Freemarches and tbh it was a kind of boring run. As I usually find when I play Aelantir spawnables, I was having more fun with the origin country. When you finally spawn you spend a whole bunch of time speed 5 colonising empty provinces and devving/building to get your economy up and running and satisfy mission requirements. Maybe bully some locals which are usually really easy (and therefore boring) to beat thanks to your tech advantage and bonus starting troops and force limit. With no big scary powers or alliance webs to negotiate there's never any challenge.

Fortunately I kept a save with my origin country (Vertesk) which I'm gonna fire back up since it was my first time playing in the EoA with the new trade node layout. When did that happen anyway? I only noticed it when I started this run.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Sometimes I just find a save game with the correct date, tag switch to the spawning country, and console command myself a bunch of dev / tech / institutions.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Is there a good country to start as in Anbennar that will give you enough of a lore dump to get situated?

It seems really fun, and I get that it's obviously Not-Earth and there's loving dwarves and elves and centaurs and poo poo. I get it. I know all of these things. But every time I start there is so many fantasy names thrown at me at once that I lose my head. The gently caress is a Bulwar?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

soviet elsa posted:

Is there a good country to start as in Anbennar that will give you enough of a lore dump to get situated?

It seems really fun, and I get that it's obviously Not-Earth and there's loving dwarves and elves and centaurs and poo poo. I get it. I know all of these things. But every time I start there is so many fantasy names thrown at me at once that I lose my head. The gently caress is a Bulwar?

I would suggest one of the medium to large-sized countries in not-Europe. They are built on relatively familiar tropes and shouldn't have anything too crazy going on in terms of difficulty. Grombar is a very interesting option, as it is a grey orc kingdom that has to figure out between going full orc or integrating its orc aristocratic class with the native humans it recently conquered, which will have you interacting with some of the setting's major historical events and the pop mechanics.

also, just read the likely EU5 dev diary and I am not enthused. I was hoping for a mechanics flush from EU4 to EU5, not "we will try Imperator Rome, but harder". I think a lot of the reason why EU4 works is how boardgamey several of its mechanics are and going full sim feels like playing to PDS' weaknesses as a studio.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 15, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The fantasy name soup is just something you have to get used to. I didn't know how to spell Anbennar consistently until like yesterday

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Imperator Rome but harder ft mothereffin W

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

soviet elsa posted:

I'll second playing in Cannor (not-Europe). If you're okay with HRE mechanics, then Wesdam is a good option. They're a cadet branch of the Silmunas, the recently-overthrown Emperors who ruled Dameria (not-Austria, kind of) until Lorent and Wex and a bunch of others got together and gave them the boot. Anyone who took part in this uprising on either side gets a little event and an opinion modifier at game start to reflect it. Wesdam (West Dameria) survived despite their dynasty because they sided with the traitors patriots of the Rose Party, and their missions let you either double down on this and PU Lorent or take your cousins' place as emperors.

The heir to the original line, Rogier Silmuna, is also around-- he got smuggled out of the capital as a wee babe and now he's leading one of the adventuring bands in the ruins of Escann, looking for his sister who got married off to a Castanorian pre-Greentide. He's also a fun playthrough; his formable lets you build a conspiracy of loyalists to retake the throne of Anbennar. But it's also a lot more complex, requiring you to navigate the adventuring band mechanics in Escann.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 15, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The new Effelai tags in the Aelantir jungle rule, and they don't even have an MT yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Simply be a Dwarf. Who cares about what's happening outside the mountains? Most of the orcs just left and it's time to reclaim them. Nothing can go wrong with this plan. No disaster can stop us.