Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1768474194663088227

Thank you black Santa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

fishing with the fam posted:

Hey, cool. I didn't realize that fourth was the one from the Eagles. Keenan Allen for moving down 1 spot in the draft is a pretty good deal.

Yeah I had forgotten they had that.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

fishing with the fam posted:

Hey, cool. I didn't realize that fourth was the one from the Eagles. Keenan Allen for moving down 1 spot in the draft is a pretty good deal.

It's not, per Breer himself:

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1768464926194987490

Don't let the facts get in the way of a punchy tweet, though. (Saying 'effectively trading down 12 spots in the 4th round' would be too many characters)

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

poles good at fleecing yo

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

xbilkis posted:

It's not, per Breer himself:

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1768464926194987490

Don't let the facts get in the way of a punchy tweet, though. (Saying 'effectively trading down 12 spots in the 4th round' would be too many characters)

Balls. Fooled by another tweet. Still, a pretty swell leveraging of assets.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Just saw the news about Allen. Pretty exciting! And I guess it makes sense given the Chargers cap issues.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
man caleb williams already has some serious weapons. how is the bears offensive line? will they be looking to draft more guys there?

re lions signing dj reader, i’m really glad they got a high-level nose tackle. They’ve been good against the run, but only because they’ve really had to play it hard, reader lets them stop the run without selling out completely.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 15, 2024

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

man caleb williams already has some serious weapons. how is the bears offensive line? will they be looking to draft more guys there?

It's ok, good rookie RT, decent cheap LT, Tevin Jenkins is very good when healthy at guard. They brought in a bunch of new guys to try to upgrade at the other guard and at center.

They were probably a net positive last year when healthy, so I have decent hopes for this year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1725227628037358039

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's solid but not spectacular. The big weakness last season was center, but I think the Shelton signing will address that. Jenkins is one of the better guards in the league when he can stay healthy, and I think Wright had a promising rookie year and should get better.

It's possible they go for an LT at 9, but they seem to be pretty happy with Braxton Jones. And from my amateur point of view he seems to be cromulent at the very least. Given their lack of picks, I think they'll probably prioritize a greater area of need at #9, like edge rusher.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

Line is pretty bad. That's going to be a staple of the Bears and they seem pretty content on throwing backups against a wall and seeing what sticks.

I wonder if the Bears will work out a mini extension for Allen. I know he's 32 but I'm guessing adding a year on might help them smooth some of the cap hit out?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Holy gently caress, Keenan Allen????

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

DALLAS TURNER CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP

Would they have the most freakish athletic edge rushers in the league? I remember when people were fawning over Turner's combine stats and someone pointed out that Sweat was even better.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would characterize the Bears offensive line at this point as neither good nor bad but "subject to too many variables to know for sure"

You'd like to think that Darnell Wright takes the leap from "good for a rookie" to "actually good," but that's not a given
Nate Davis might have a bounceback year or he might still suck
I assume that between Bates and Coleman you're likely to field a center who's at least "OK," but again, not guaranteed. Probably the lowest-ceiling position on the line too
Teven Jenkins should be good if he stays healthy, big if
Braxton Jones is honestly probably the most reliable guy on the line, he should probably be fine at least

Could have everything click and it's a legitimate plus unit; could have everything go wrong and it's a nightmare. Probably end up somewhere in the middle, but it's a big-rear end middle so who knows

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Their interior line is really bad. I sort of think Bates ends up being the left guard. He played both in Buffalo but apparently was much better at left. Jenkins moved to left guard but I thought played much better on the right side. So just flipping those two would strengthen things a bit. Then you have Davis for when Jenkins gets hurt.

They don't value the Center spot much so I don't know how that plays out with Coleman. Maybe they'll nab someone in the 3rd or 4th round who can compete.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nate Davis's situation last year was so dire personally, and professionally that I wouldn't throw dirt on his grave just yet.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If you grab an iOL in the first 3-4 rounds (which I would also like to see) then you've functionally got 4 guys competing for 2 spots at G/C, three of whom have previously managed to put up average-to-good seasons as a full time starter. I would like to have a surer thing at C but you really should be able to cobble together an OK interior with that crew

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gengis Khan wasn’t a tartar, he hated the tartars. Killed a shitload of them

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

poles wisely unloading all of his draft picks in a year when there aren't going to be any northwestern guys

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
goddamn, Bears looking like an actual team.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Nate Davis's situation last year was so dire personally, and professionally that I wouldn't throw dirt on his grave just yet.

This is where I'm at. I loved the signing initially. I think there are a lot of questions, but also a lot of potential upside. Not gonna lie though. Atl at 9 would he sexy as hell.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Looking forward to a very competitive NFCN the next few years.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

This has to be the toughest division in football

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Has Chargers twitter ever posted something that doesn't wind up being intensely cursed?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
It's been like an hour or two and I still can't believe he only cost a fourth-rounder, jesus christ Chargers

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Sataere posted:

This has to be the toughest division in football

Hard to say year to year but AFC North is probably still toughest top to bottom. Two of the nfc north teams still don't have QBs which is problematic

Also NFC West depending on if the Cardinals bounce back.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

hes gonna have 2k yards this season and so is dj moore. caleb williams mvp

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Yeah, they have no choice but to hope he can be good. But they did need someone like Bates who can step in and start if that doesn't happen.

I'm fine with an open competition for the 2 guard spots.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Top moments of my bears fan memory since 06, mostly chronological order

Bears trade for Cutler, finally get a top QB!
Bears draft Mitch, finally get a top QB!
Bears trade for Mack, finally going to be able to shut down the Packers!!
Bears draft Fields, finally get a top QB!
Lovies miracle in Houston , can finally draft the #1 player!
Bears trade for DJ Moore, finally unlock their top QB with a top WR!
Bears trade for Sweat, finally going to be able to shut down the Packers!
Bears beat Bryce young, realize they're gonna get the #1 overall again and get the top QB!!
Bears trade for Keenan Allen, finally unlock their top QB with two top WRs!!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Your top moments are all player acquisitions, not actually player accomplishments.

I understand that's the point of your post but like... Wow, dude.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

Your top moments are all player acquisitions, not actually player accomplishments.

Yes. That's the point. I'm loving jazzed at the possibilities right now and not worrying about taking a third round center.

I don't remember their win over Seattle in 2010 playoffs very well and the only individual moments I remember are DJ Moore being ruled out of bounds to take away a 4th TD when he never stepped out, and macks int, ff, fumble recovery, sack, TD in a half not winning the game

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Honestly I'm most upset over your Kyle Orton erasure. The legend

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Bears are junkies chasing the high, never getting it

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

adaz posted:

Honestly I'm most upset over your Kyle Orton erasure. The legend

I remember talking to a bartender friend in ... 07? 08? Who complained he kept pissing in the mailbox outside the bar. I know it was on diversely but I can't remember the spot. A Pittsburgh bar but what was the name...
Edit: durkins. He peed in their mailbox constantly

SirPablo posted:

Bears are junkies chasing the high, never getting it

It's all been downhill since week 1 2006 rex Grossman to Bernard berrian for like 80 yards in the air

https://twitter.com/readjack/status/771176067457363969

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 15, 2024

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

surf rock posted:

It's been like an hour or two and I still can't believe he only cost a fourth-rounder, jesus christ Chargers

It's age, where he's at in his contract, and cap hit. Chargers are doing a soft rebuild.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's age, where he's at in his contract, and cap hit. Chargers are doing a soft rebuild.

I get that, as far as the Chargers wanting to move on, but were the Bears the only team willing to make an offer here?

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Rex grossman shouldn’t have a twitter

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Abugadu posted:

I get that, as far as the Chargers wanting to move on, but were the Bears the only team willing to make an offer here?

I don't think many teams had the cap space. He's also 32 and been injury prone so there is some risk. A 4th seems about right to me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Will the Bears win back to back offseasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

After that onseason idk if I’d want to consider that a w

And not just the football I also mean the management and general disorganised tomfoolery