Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Zodium posted:

what house rules do everyone play with? my first two runs were pretty no holds barred, but I decided to make up a few honorable rules for my honor mode run, and it definitely made the game a lot more fun for me:

* no pickpocketing vendors.
* no respeccing to reset vendor inventories or buy max attitude.
* no buff/utility bot characters.
* no haste or speed potions.
* no globe of invulnerability.
* no alert.

not so much trying to jack up the difficulty as prevent myself from trivializing the game and relying on repetitive boring stuff.

im doing all of this except the haste potion thing on my first playthrough just kind of on accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

im doing all of this except the haste potion thing on my first playthrough just kind of on accident.

You can also clump your party members together really tightly and throw a potion at them, hitting all of them for the effect :science:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

EorayMel posted:

You can also clump your party members together really tightly and throw a potion at them, hitting all of them for the effect :science:

Thats cheating :argh:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's weird that splashing a potion on your boots has the same effect as drinking it.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Potions are just concentrated vibes, as it turns out.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Once again I'm blaming the tadpole.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Clarste posted:

It's weird that splashing a potion on your boots has the same effect as drinking it.

Cursed to put my hands on everything

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Clarste posted:

loving unrealistic game, immersion ruined. Deleting it from my Steam account as we speak.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Clarste posted:

When a character uses a potion they aren't actually drinking it, they're pouring it down the inside of their shirt.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Potions are magic. There's no rule that you can't just rub them over yourself.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you immerse yourself in a big bacta tank of healing potion like Luke Skywalker on Hoth does it make you basically immortal?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Entropic posted:

If you immerse yourself in a big bacta tank of healing potion like Luke Skywalker on Hoth does it make you basically immortal?

Yes, but it only lasts for 10 turns. Then you're dead for 1 turn before you can take another action.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Clarste posted:

I only tried to do it once and I think I killed the person I was trying to heal with the bludgeoning damage from the bottle before it healed them. Or maybe it did more damage than it healed? Pretty sure whoever it was only had 1 hp when I decided to have Karlach brain them with a potion of healing. I could be misremembering.

I'm with you that the whole thing seems pretty odd. Why would throwing a potion on the ground near someone in full armor, thereby splashing them with the potion such that their armor has potion-juice on it have any effect?

I mean I know it's https://i.imgur.com/RAGScA9.mp4 and all, and there are plenty of things in the game that require suspension of disbelief for which I happily suspend disbelief. Don't know why that sticks out, but I also don't care because I don't do it and it's not like I'm offended if other people do. It's sort of the same thing with using D:OS gimmicks like carrying 10 explosive barrels and then laying them out to set up a trap before you start an encounter. I don't want to pretend that a character can somehow hide entire barrels on their person, but I think it's pretty cool that there are so many different ways to play the game and I don't care if that's how someone wants to play their game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Can you die from drowning in healing potion and if so do you immediately come back to life?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Hm. You know, I think that per D&D rules, suffocation effects and the like might just set you to 0 hp, so you'd probably end up in a hellish state of continuous drowning and revival (as death only occurs after three failed death saves and being immediately healed while unconscious prevents any saves from occurring). However, I suspect that repeatedly drowning is probably pretty tiring, so you'd start to pick up exhaustion levels after a while, and those just straight up kill you after a certain point. No revival via healing potions then, as you no longer have an HP value, negative or otherwise; you're just dead.

That's my take as a DM, anyway.

e: I'd check whether drowning specifically has its own rules but I don't have my sourcebooks to hand right now. I'm almost positive that getting choked out by a creature with a strangulation or suffocation ability just sets you to 0hp though.

e2: lmao yeah I looked it up online. Drowning explicitly sets you to 0 hp, so drowning in healing potion means you just kinda drown over and over I guess

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 15, 2024

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hm. You know, I think that per D&D rules, suffocation effects and the like might just set you to 0 hp, so you'd probably end up in a hellish state of continuous drowning and revival (as death only occurs after three failed death saves and being immediately healed while unconscious prevents any saves from occurring). However, I suspect that repeatedly drowning is probably pretty tiring, so you'd start to pick up exhaustion levels after a while, and those just straight up kill you after a certain point. No revival via healing potions then, as you no longer have an HP value, negative or otherwise; you're just dead.

That's my take as a DM, anyway.

e: I'd check whether drowning specifically has its own rules but I don't have my sourcebooks to hand right now. I'm almost positive that getting choked out by a creature with a strangulation or suffocation ability just sets you to 0hp though.

e2: lmao yeah I looked it up online. Drowning explicitly sets you to 0 hp, so drowning in healing potion means you just kinda drown over and over I guess

There's a specific D&D errata (PHB, I think) that if you're suffocating you can't stabilise or regain HP for this kind of circumstance.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

What are the pros and cons between supporting Orpheus and The Emprah? I really don't trust anything with tentacles, especially not with dominating the Netherbrain.

also loving gross, my hot drow manic pixie dream boy is actually a loving mind flayer :barf:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Zodium posted:

what house rules do everyone play with? my first two runs were pretty no holds barred, but I decided to make up a few honorable rules for my honor mode run, and it definitely made the game a lot more fun for me:

* no pickpocketing vendors.
* no respeccing to reset vendor inventories or buy max attitude.
* no buff/utility bot characters.
* no haste or speed potions.
* no globe of invulnerability.
* no alert.

not so much trying to jack up the difficulty as prevent myself from trivializing the game and relying on repetitive boring stuff.

Aside from putting alert on my main I spent much of the game like this, it was only until midway through act 2 that I realized potions of speed were actually haste and not just movement speed and started using them.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 15, 2024

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

What's the deal with all the vendor trash gemstones and ingots you find everywhere? Feels like they had multiple crafting professions planned, canned them for some reason, and just left the reagents in the game as random junk to sell?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's just treasure to sell for money which is mostly a hold over from the first edition where getting loot directly translated into XP. The older games didn't have that loot=XP system but still had droppable bracelets and jewlery and such for extra money.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also the reason why you find so many portraits to sell, in the early editions art and antiques were included in the random treasure tables

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wish the tavern room had a way to hang all the paintings I steal

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Shame Boy posted:

It's just treasure to sell for money which is mostly a hold over from the first edition where getting loot directly translated into XP. The older games didn't have that loot=XP system but still had droppable bracelets and jewlery and such for extra money.

There was also an optional "Conan the Barbarian" rule, where treasure only translated into XP if you squandered it on partying instead of spending it on things that directly benefited your character as an adventurer... which, now that I think about it, actually feels like it'd fit right into the atmosphere of BG3.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Destrado posted:

There's a specific D&D errata (PHB, I think) that if you're suffocating you can't stabilise or regain HP for this kind of circumstance.

That makes perfect sense and is probably the kind of thing I'd rule at my table anyway, and this might be kind of a grognard complaint, but God I dislike how normal this errata thing has become. Just let me buy a loving game book knowing that it's play-tested and finished, jesus, goddamn it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I didn’t realize how easy it was for the gith at the act 1 pass to gently caress you up. Lost a HM attempt to them when Laez failed her deception check. Next time I held somebody back and it was good I did because she failed it again. Third time I held someone back and then failed a check myself (needed at least two extra tries and only had one) when I didn’t take Laez with me.

After never having a problem like the six previous runs.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Thuryl posted:

There was also an optional "Conan the Barbarian" rule, where treasure only translated into XP if you squandered it on partying instead of spending it on things that directly benefited your character as an adventurer... which, now that I think about it, actually feels like it'd fit right into the atmosphere of BG3.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I like how as a paladin I cannot commit crimes without breaking my oath, but if Astarion steals everything that is not nailed down and I enjoy the profits from his constant criminal activity, this falls within my oath because

After a while it starts to feel like Mizora's legal games in reverse lol

Lathander: "You know stealing from people you do business with is Bad, right?"
Me: "Under article IV, section 14 of the Oath of the Ancients it says right here that only thefts I have personally committed are covered by the oaths, and also the Zhentarim are thieves and deserve to be stolen from in return."
Lathander: "So why are you buying equipment from the Zhentarim and doing their fetch quest anyway?"
Me: "Just shut up and give me my oath charges for tomorrow."

(I have a mod that lets me select a patron deity for my paladin, aside from unlocking some dialogue options it doesn't do anything, I have it just for role playing)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 15, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

I like how as a paladin I cannot commit crimes without breaking my oath, but if Astarion steals everything that is not nailed down and I enjoy the profits from his constant criminal activity, this falls within my oath because

They don't like to talk about it but part of the oath is "snitches get stitches"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If there is a drawback to how richly developed all the companions are is that since there are only a few of them there are many fewer role playing opportunities and conflicts than in the first two games, where there were a plethora of companions and while they were mostly pretty thinly drawn, how you behave and who you associated with really mattered and there were a lot of choices for when one of them decided they hated you or someone you traveled with.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

During EA it was a lot easier to piss off the companions, got tuned way way down, as it was kind of unpopular.

I am not sure it is even possible to get a companion to abandon the party for reasons beyond siding with the Goblins in act 1 or loving up their personal quest (or doing it without them).

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

ZearothK posted:

During EA it was a lot easier to piss off the companions, got tuned way way down, as it was kind of unpopular.

I am not sure it is even possible to get a companion to abandon the party for reasons beyond siding with the Goblins in act 1 or loving up their personal quest (or doing it without them).

Repeatedly throwing withers at them still works

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Entropic posted:

Can you die from drowning in healing potion and if so do you immediately come back to life?

Nah, I think it works like that breathing sauce from The Abyss.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Laezel had 1hp left at the final boss fight and my Monk threw a potion at her and the bonus damages from items and feats and poo poo killed her lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Alignment points are a bad system so ultimately I think it's for the best that they just let you pick any option at any time. It does mean you can see the seams if you don't make at least a little effort to maintain a consistent chatacter because the game has to run with the assumption that everyone likes each other outside of specific scenarios.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Any alignment that lets you kill Flaming Fist en masse is fine for me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

grack posted:

I SERVE THE FLAMING FIST… for dinner :black101:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mycot posted:

Alignment points are a bad system so ultimately I think it's for the best that they just let you pick any option at any time. It does mean you can see the seams if you don't make at least a little effort to maintain a consistent chatacter because the game has to run with the assumption that everyone likes each other outside of specific scenarios.

Having characters whose values and goals are incompatible ≠ sticking to D&D's dumb alignment system.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

grack posted:

It's kinda funny that Duke Ravengard is supposed to be this heroic gigachad kind of character but the only times we see the real him he's being a tremendous prick, and the only evidence we're given for his heroism is leading the Flaming Fist, who are mostly - like real cops - corrupt wastemen

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It's kinda funny that Duke Ravengard is supposed to be this heroic gigachad kind of character but the only times we see the real him he's being a tremendous prick, and the only evidence we're given for his heroism is leading the Flaming Fist, who are mostly - like real cops - corrupt wastemen

For real. Ravengard is supposed to be the legendary human shield protecting Baldur's Gate and he got absolutely dunked on by some doughy dipshit who looks like he should be in a VH1 documentary about the 1990s rock scene in St. Louis. Gortash definitely abuses whatever the Sword Coast version of opioids is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Docjowles posted:

For real. Ravengard is supposed to be the legendary human shield protecting Baldur's Gate and he got absolutely dunked on by some doughy dipshit who looks like he should be in a VH1 documentary about the 1990s rock scene in St. Louis. Gortash definitely abuses whatever the Sword Coast version of opioids is

Speed potions.