Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Yogesh, being a rude little baby? Shocking. Look how shocked I am. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How was Watson's betting game?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Zesty posted:

How was Watson's betting game?

Calculated

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Dienes posted:

Yogesh, being a rude little baby? Shocking. Look how shocked I am. :geno:

i wonder if we'll get another facebook screed out of these appearances

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
the field for the Big Invitational Tournament is revealed, some nice surprises:

https://www.jeopardy.com/track/2024/invitational

I think by design this is distinct from jeopardy masters so the folks on the shortlist for that (i assume Brad, Julia) aren't here but that's just speculation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Question for the thread at large: If you were in charge of Jeopardy and had total freedom to make whatever changes you wanted, what would you change to make it better?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Incorporate hangman elements and a large spinning wheel.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zesty posted:

Incorporate hangman elements and a large spinning wheel.

:hmmyes:

I think maybe "E" is too common of a letter, though, and should earn the player negative dollars

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Question for the thread at large: If you were in charge of Jeopardy and had total freedom to make whatever changes you wanted, what would you change to make it better?

I would break the game so much that I would be considered a threat, and I think the difficult part is just time and "keeping it refreshing"

Easy:

Remodel the set to look like a throwback 90s with the sliding doors and beep boops.

If your money in the game EXCEEDS how much we are offering you in a tournament. if you win, you get that amount instead (so if you made 23k, 32k, 17k, 8k 30k, you're getting 110,000 instead of 100,000)

Bringing Back Video & Audio Daily Doubles and the Clue Crew

Medium:

The only "tournament" is the ToC, no second chances, no wild card.

But, you have more "one week specials" - Sports Jeopardy, Music Jeopardy, College Jeopardy, etc. More "Specials" and One-Offs.

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday determines the finalists for the two day total points affair Who goes to a ToC as well.

Last to give a correct response in Jeopardy picks first in Double Jeopardy

Difficult:

Four Clues instead of Five with six categories as usual (for time constraints)

You MUST go down the board, but you CAN bounce between categories, NO MORE FORRESTING

Clearing a category in sequential order (four correct responses in a row) unlocks a daily double, a special fifth clue for the solo player, this means every round could have as much as SIX DAILY DOUBLES, or NONE AT ALL

250/500/750/1000
500/1000/1500/2000

Final Jeopardy is still the same, but if you're in the red, you still get to play FJ, but for "Some Jeopardy Prizes" (Mugs/Shirt/etc) rather than wagering for money.

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 13, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I would jettison the new board fill sound so fast it'd make heads spin; sounds like a smartphone ringtone. I'd bring back the classic sound.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

TelevisedInsanity posted:

If your money in the game EXCEEDS how much we are offering you in a tournament. if you win, you get that amount instead (so if you made 23k, 32k, 17k, 8k 30k, you're getting 110,000 instead of 100,000)

they do this if you do it in the finals, actually

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Spokes posted:

they do this if you do it in the finals, actually

That's new info to me, thank you Spokes, and James. ♥️

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i wonder if we'll get another facebook screed out of these appearances

100% and it's gonna be great. Especially after Wednesday's game (go Troy!)

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
I'd make daily doubles be equal in difficulty to the hardest question in the category, regardless of the money value that uncovered it. Petrified wood, oof.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

enough with asides yogesh!!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

enough with asides yogesh!!

The "bring it" one felt like he was really trying to underscore his disdain for Jeopardy in-jokes. "Am I doing this right? Bring it?" Like it had the same feel as people who say "sportsball" every Super Bowl just to assure you how much they look down on it.

I lost it at Ken saying "a VERY good Jeopardy score!" and Yogesh's flat rage face since it was a runaway. Stay mad, loser.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I would jettison the new board fill sound so fast it'd make heads spin; sounds like a smartphone ringtone. I'd bring back the classic sound.

Go back to the 1980s Jeopardy theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rHqrLA7aw

Jeopardy strategy is fine-tuned now and everybody starts at the bottom of the board and Forrest bounces all over the place. I miss a buildup to harder clues instead of working backwards in dollar amounts points to the easier ones. I don't know how fix that except to randomize the difficulty.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
More audience.

Audience boos when players make lovely bets.

Audience laughs when players get a question wrong.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Bring back the '80s "STAND BY FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT BROADCAST IN TELEVISION HISTORY" version of the theme song, and the blue-and-white grid 90s set.

(You didn't say they had to be good changes.)

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Forcibly freshen the question pool. If something has been a question more than X times in the past decade, it's not allowed to be the top dollar value in its category. More than 2X, can't be second-highest either, and so on, until more than 5X, it can't be a question at all for a while. The value of X is halved for ToC.

Yes, there are categories that will be difficult to write under my regime (and in fact that might be a good way to find a starter value for X; take, say, the most commonly clued US state in that time period, and divide its number of appearances by five). As far as I'm concerned, that's a bonus, though.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

No more Christianity specific categories.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
LeVar Burton, but without Mike Richards’ meddling.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Only change I've ever wanted: display the category on screen alongside the clue.

It's probably about time to up the prize amount for second and third place, too.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Make a question about a Finnish composer who wasn't Sibelius.

EDIT:

Jokymi posted:

Only change I've ever wanted: display the category on screen alongside the clue.

Oh that's a great one. When they're bouncing between the Before And After or Rhyme Time clues and normal clues, I get so confused at what my task is sometimes and can't keep track of which category we're in.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Agreed. the 1980s theme is my jam.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Jokymi posted:

It's probably about time to up the prize amount for second and third place, too.

Also on clues that are like finding a word hidden in the clue or unscrambling a word, just keep showing us the clue either in the corner or like in final. We get to see it for about 5 seconds, which is really awkward when it's a tough one and the contestants don't just immediately ring in. Same goes for images.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I can't believe they're calling it best of 7 again when it isn't best of 7.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Is this Jeopardy!'s version of the Monty Hall Problem?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

1glitch0 posted:

I can't believe they're calling it best of 7 again when it isn't best of 7.

Ken specifically called it "first to three" last night, which is more accurate.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Today, he says "This is a best of seven series where the first player to notch three victories will be declared our champion".

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 14, 2024

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, both ways of describing it are equally accurate.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hold the phone - Yogesh and I are not only the same age but we were born about the same time? I thought he was 5-10 years older...

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

if you win the first three games of a "best of seven", you don't win!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Spokes posted:

if you win the first three games of a "best of seven", you don't win!

This is true when talking about a "best of seven" series between two competitors, which this isn't.

In this tournament, the first of the three players to win three games wins, meaning the maximum number of games is seven, meaning it can be described equally accurately as "first to three" and "best of seven".

The fact that "best of seven" most commonly describes tournaments with two competitors does not mean it cannot describe tournaments with more than two competitors.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

CPColin posted:

This is true when talking about a "best of seven" series between two competitors, which this isn't.

In this tournament, the first of the three players to win three games wins, meaning the maximum number of games is seven, meaning it can be described equally accurately as "first to three" and "best of seven".

The fact that "best of seven" most commonly describes tournaments with two competitors does not mean it cannot describe tournaments with more than two competitors.

but it is possible one contestant could win zero games, another three games, and the third contestant four games thereby winning the best of 7

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

but it is possible one contestant could win zero games, another three games, and the third contestant four games thereby winning the best of 7

No it isn't because the tournament is over when the first contestant wins three games.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I saw a video of an old episode from the 70s and I noticed that it seemed like contestants were able to buzz in before the clue had been fully read (but Fleming still read the whole clue out) - when did that change and was that ultimately a change for the better?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's got you so into Jeopardy, Farmer Crack-rear end, that you're giving the thread conversation prompts?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Can we please not relitigate the whole "it's a best of seven / no it's not" thing? It went on for several pages last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zesty posted:

What's got you so into Jeopardy, Farmer Crack-rear end, that you're giving the thread conversation prompts?

The thread's had a "last read" tag for me for a few years now - there was a stretch of time when I watched regularly - so I occasionally pop in and see what's been happening. I think what prompted my post on Wednesday was people talking about contestants' betting, and I feel like usually when that comes up it's people griping about how contestants are so bad at betting, so I wondered if anyone would see the betting aspect of the game as something that could be improved.

The most recent post was prompted when I clicked on RC and Moon Pie's Youtube link to the old 80s theme music, and I followed a couple of recommended videos off of that and wound up on this recording of an episode from 1978. It's striking to me how much more rapid-fire the answers and questions were back then, although I much prefer Final Jeopardy to Super Jeopardy.

I guess I would want to change Jeopardy to make it less dependent on timing the buzzer; I don't find it particularly engaging that someone dominates "merely" by having the best buzzer skill. I know that the response to that is "well the contestants know nearly so many answers that buzzing in ASAP is generally the correct strategy" so perhaps a combination of making it more difficult and perhaps more heavily penalizing incorrect responses (e.g. if you get it wrong you lose twice the value of the clue) would help to deter just mashing the button?

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 15, 2024