Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

LOL

quote:

With the Gauntlet and Leaderboards coming to the end of their first week, it seems a critical bug has been discovered - one that may call into question the top scores, and by extension all scores, on the leaderboard.

Players have discovered a way to enter the Gauntlet without actually beginning the run, thereby allowing them to round up monsters and drag them to key places - locations that would allow these players to maximize their score in ways that wouldn't be possible for those entering the Gauntlet and beginning it legitimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I could have made a whole rear end baby in the time it took them to produce that slop

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm losing track of all the terrible layoffs, but didn't ActivisionBlizzard lay off a ton of their QA team a while back?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Jimbot posted:

I'm losing track of all the terrible layoffs, but didn't ActivisionBlizzard lay off a ton of their QA team a while back?

They did, unfortunately. I don't know what kind of cheaper tools / procedures they use to offset the lack of people (if any), but it's clearly suffered.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
the QA layoff was 2021 if the dates on random articles are correct. i would assume the shakeout from that wouldn't really be a direct impact on the release timing/quality of leaderboards. i'd assume that's much more related to the merger and resulting layoffs from it

also in addition to getting in early, since they removed the double loading screen to get into gauntlets present during the first week, you can now carry an essentially full stack of shrine buffs with you into a new gauntlet and never not be under the effects of the score doubling shrine for the first 4 of 8 minutes. it's rough out there

e: holy poo poo is phone typing getting worse on purpose? the initial release of swype like 15 years ago was better than this. christ

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 14, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Well they announced March 20 to talk about ptr for S4. They'll make us test these things.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Tonetta posted:

I could have made a whole rear end baby in the time it took them to produce that slop

What's an rear end baby?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I don't know why they're wasting time on Gauntlet. I mean, I know why, it's something they can slap together relatively quickly without having to make new assets, but still.

Competitive leaderboards are like the absolute last thing I could ever care about in this sort of game. I haven't even looked at the gameplay and I don't care. Sounds like most people are unimpressed by it.

I hope the Season 4 changes are really impressive.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah they're definitely going to be great

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Scoss posted:

I don't know why they're wasting time on Gauntlet. I mean, I know why, it's something they can slap together relatively quickly without having to make new assets, but still.

Competitive leaderboards are like the absolute last thing I could ever care about in this sort of game. I haven't even looked at the gameplay and I don't care. Sounds like most people are unimpressed by it.

I hope the Season 4 changes are really impressive.

It's a easy thing for getting D4 into an e-sports category / bigger Twitch audience.

(somehow)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

While I definitely think they need a PTR, I also think it's pretty anti hype to have one. It's nice going into a Poe season knowing nothing until the week before and nobody having played it until launch. Pretty much everything about the season is going to be figured out before launch with a ptr

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

queeb posted:

While I definitely think they need a PTR, I also think it's pretty anti hype to have one. It's nice going into a Poe season knowing nothing until the week before and nobody having played it until launch. Pretty much everything about the season is going to be figured out before launch with a ptr

I'm 100% fine with people who play arpgs too much getting bored playing ptr too much so I can play week 1-2 with less major bugs and terrible balance

First week of every season in poe was always a shitshow, and often smaller annoyances with the mechanics would never get touched as they'd already moved on after the early and inevitable fires were put out

basically "OP BUILDS DISCOVERED" yt vids and streams with open mouth face thumbnails don't affect my enjoyment, but those early bugs absolutely do

it will have just as many bugs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Normally devs make way too many changes leading up to the patch that a ptr is kind of useless as they are working in the game non stop

I don’t think this will be a problem for d4

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The chad even number season swimlane is gonna deliver a huge W, calling it now. Hold on to your butts!!!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Dysgenesis posted:

What's an rear end baby?

this game currently

but maybe not in april

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

After the Microsoft job cuts, I doubt there's anyone working on the present game besides the next DLC, monetization, and minor updates.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Season 4 is supposed to be the itemization rework, isn't it? That's a pretty bad time to underdeliver with a skeleton crew.

quote:

During their Campfire Chat livestream on November 30, Blizzard announced that they would make massive itemization changes in Diablo 4 with the release of Season 4.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

There are also apparently changes coming to the Codex too:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/24074996/tune-in-to-our-next-campfire-chat-public-test-realm-revealed

quote:

We’ll discuss how Affixes, item stats, the Codex of Power, and new in-game systems will change the way you slay and loot across both Seasonal and Eternal Realms

Joey peps is gonna be there, it'll be fun

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

if they decouple aspects from equipment I'm quoting myself next week with a smug face

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Wait the PTR is locked behind the battlepass? Lmao

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What are you talking about

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Barreft posted:

After the Microsoft job cuts, I doubt there's anyone working on the present game besides the next DLC, monetization, and minor updates.

got anything that points to this? i've not seen anything that calls the diablo team out as being particularly affected

also

Honey Im Homme posted:

Wait the PTR is locked behind the battlepass? Lmao

the only thing i've seen is that it is limited to PC battle.net users, no console or steam PTR

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Barreft posted:

I mean, there's gotta be some content guys in there so there's actually an audience to monetize... right?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apparently D IV hits Xbox Gamepass on March 28th.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
that's weird timing still imo. land it at the start of season 4, have people jump in right when new content drops. don't get them used to an old itemization system right before rug pulling it. more weird/bad choices

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

CBD Corndog posted:

There are also apparently changes coming to the Codex too:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/24074996/tune-in-to-our-next-campfire-chat-public-test-realm-revealed

Joey peps is gonna be there, it'll be fun

Making the codex of power retain the highest rolled extracted aspect you’ve gotten is such an easy and obvious way to make the game better. Extracted aspects being single use items sucks and feels bad.

I hope that’s the change.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That sounds like a straightforward and intuitive change everyone would approve of, so how about instead we make you run the Gauntlet for a chance to get 1 of 3 aspects, with a 50% chance for one of them being a version of the kind you're looking for.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I like the way you think kid but we can improve on that design. It's a one in three chance to get what you want and you need to get it multiple times to slowly level the aspect up to its max value ala season two vamp powers.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

get five of the same aspect and combine them to permanently add the average roll to your codex, you're welcome

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

harrygomm posted:

that's weird timing still imo. land it at the start of season 4, have people jump in right when new content drops. don't get them used to an old itemization system right before rug pulling it. more weird/bad choices

Personally I'm stoked. I bought the game on Xbox at launch because my PC at the time was trash - but I've since upgraded, and it's a pain in the rear end not being able to play if my kids want to use the Xbox (aka when they're awake).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doomykins posted:

I like the way you think kid but we can improve on that design. It's a one in three chance to get what you want and you need to get it multiple times to slowly level the aspect up to its max value ala season two vamp powers.

our chief engagement scientist ran the model and says this would lead to a 3.875% increase in satisfied player hours

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

harrygomm posted:

I feel like anyone who still hasn't bought Diablo (for $110) and yet wants to try it will probably want to do the Story Mode.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I am once again asking devs to just copy Division 2's perk system.

You already got the majority of the money you're going to get from the game, Blizzard execs, let the devs make us weirdos who still want to play it happy. Or slightly happier, at least.

(And fix the dang trophies plz thx)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

That sounds like a straightforward and intuitive change everyone would approve of, so how about instead we make you run the Gauntlet for a chance to get 1 of 3 aspects, with a 50% chance for one of them being a version of the kind you're looking for.

*checks I'm not in the poe thread*

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

harrygomm posted:

It gives time to do the campaign before the season starts.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

maybe if you're a poopsocker. I got ten kids, five dogs, and my in-laws living with me over here pal!!!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

hawowanlawow posted:

maybe if you're a poopsocker. I got ten kids, five dogs, and my in-laws living with me over here pal!!!

Get rid of them and embrace necromancer roleplay

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ehud posted:

Making the codex of power retain the highest rolled extracted aspect you’ve gotten is such an easy and obvious way to make the game better. Extracted aspects being single use items sucks and feels bad.

I hope that’s the change.
I would love this but it is going to be more complicated and grindy. I'm guessing:
All Aspects go into the Codex.
You can still extract an Aspect t put it directly on an item like you can now
OR
You can extract an Aspect into the Codex to increase the roll saved in the codex.

Therefore if you have a 1.1 Disobedience roll you can slap it straight onto an item OR you can use it to upgrade your Codex from 0.6 to 0.7.

They will also do the same thing with Affixes and allow you to 'upgrade' an affix you find. Have you ground your Move Speed in the Codex up to 17.5% and just found boots you like that only add 13%? You can now 'spend' your Codex's Move Speed upgrade to make those boots better. You heard me right, by using it, you deplete it so you have to grind up your Move Speed in your Codex again!

This will mean there is an opportunity cost to scrapping items - you can scrap them for crafting materials OR extract ONE Affix from an item into the Affix Codex to upgrade it there. You can only upgrade an Affix in the Affix Codex if the item you are extracting from has a higher number for that Affix!

Hire me Blizzard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

~Coxy posted:

I feel like anyone who still hasn't bought Diablo (for $110) and yet wants to try it will probably want to do the Story Mode.

Mustached Demon posted:

this just leads to the thing everyone hated about preseason/season 1. if it's someone with a lot of time, they finish the story, see the old system for like a week then have to immediately reroll to be able to do the new seasonal stuff

if they have a million kids and wives, they showboat the story and their character gets moved to eternal and they go "oh finally i can do the new seasonal stuff. what do you mean i have to roll a new character and start over"

this is basically the same time gap as release -> S1 that was derided by a ton of people