Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm a unix systems administrator for a large financial, and last year was a major reshuffle of senior management. So big announcement just came down after a series of offsite meetings.

Going forward, I am no longer going to be a unix SA, I am going to be a SRE! Yay?

Sounds good, right? Exceeeept, we all have to interview with a 'SRE advisory panel' to see if we have the proper mindset for this position.

I get to interview for my job again, after 10 years with the company! I'm thrilled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Tbh., that sounds like an opportunity to adjust your mindset and update your CV :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cimber posted:

I'm a unix systems administrator for a large financial, and last year was a major reshuffle of senior management. So big announcement just came down after a series of offsite meetings.

Going forward, I am no longer going to be a unix SA, I am going to be a SRE! Yay?

Sounds good, right? Exceeeept, we all have to interview with a 'SRE advisory panel' to see if we have the proper mindset for this position.

I get to interview for my job again, after 10 years with the company! I'm thrilled!

I recommend that you bring collected information about pay scales for SREs from major corporations to that meeting and make sure that you're getting paid.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ah, well you see you've never been an SRE before so we're going to hire you on a probationary status for less pay. It's a great opportunity!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Ah, well you see you've never been an SRE before so we're going to hire you on a probationary status for less pay. It's a great opportunity!

We will talk about a raise at your next review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3bhh8fqYs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cimber posted:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OvQIGDg4I

[edit] Beaten to the punch at this too! I'm doomed!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lawrence is the true hero of that film

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Seems pretty standard during corporate restructuring to (re)interview the more senior roles and silently displace the ones not aligned with the new leadership goals.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

SEKCobra posted:

Seems pretty standard during corporate restructuring to (re)interview the more senior roles and silently displace the ones not aligned with the new leadership goals.

Standard and not loving stupid are, sadly for this industry, not the same thing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

My back hurts just reading that url.

Make them throw a fully loaded bladecenter.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

Standard and not loving stupid are, sadly for this industry, not the same thing

End of year management KPI: Reduced staffing costs by 30 percent

(two years later when new management team comes in)
End of year management KPI: Reduced critical incident amount by 30 percent.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cimber posted:

End of year management KPI: Reduced staffing costs by 30 percent

(two years later when new management team comes in)
End of year management KPI: Reduced critical incident amount by 30 percent.

I used to game these poo poo KPIs like hell.

First year:
Incident closure time reduction -> create problems and close incidents within hours

Next year:
Reduce # problems -> fix incidents instead of creating problems.

Or my favorite one: increase team velocity and just give slightly more points to user stories each quarter. Result: 25% increase in work done points assigned to the same loving stories.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A new interview means new comp negotiations

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Heyyyy my boss is leaving and my boss's boss's boss got fired so thats fun

But surely there are no pro---oh hey, we are COINCIDENTALLY also merging pods down from 4 to 3. Well thats interesting, I'll just have to learn a few new cli--

Would you look at that, they had a 1:1 with me where they told me they're moving me to a new pod away from competent coworkers towards incompetent ones and they want me to be a team lead. Surely there is compen--

There is no additional pay but there is additional responsibility being asked of me. It sucks because I do good work, but I won't be doing additional good work related to new responsibility without additional pay.

I have updated my resume.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A new interview means new comp negotiations

HAHAHAHA, ok, who let the comedian in?

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Thanks Ants posted:

Lawrence is the true hero of that film

Fuckin a

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Diqnol posted:

I won't be doing additional good work related to new responsibility without additional pay.

I have updated my resume.

:hmmyes:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

:emptyquote:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GreenNight posted:

This job here mandates Duo on each personal phone or you cannot accept the job. Shrug. People have the option to get texts for MFA though.

We ended up getting a MS Auth hardware token for a super, ah, engineer-y support engineer who wouldn't put MFA on his phone. He was subsequently laid off when we did a RIF (first one in over a decade. Thanks Google, et. al. triggering a firing panic.)

LochNessMonster posted:

I still can’t get it through my head anyone would do that on a company device.

Well, clearly you're not executive material.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
It's been two months since I've started this job at <BANK>. I still haven't worked a single ticket, my training still isn't even *defined* anywhere, much less complete, and I only actually receive any training from someone for an hour or two around once a week, twice if I'm lucky. The rest of the time I'm just being paid to sit there.

I get that they're too understaffed to spare anyone to train me, but this still feels so incredibly wrong and I've been desperately looking for any training material I have access to. I found a 40 page document labeled "Basic ticket handling steps" which I've been using to keep myself busy, but it's outdated as hell and missing a ton.

Dumb question:

Is it possible for a company to hire someone for an understaffed team but have to let that person go because they literally can't spare anyone to train the new guy?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

You’re working in finance. I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t close your first ticket until the 6th month mark.

Relax, do what’s asked of you and what you can, and keep collecting those checks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Living the dream my man

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I’m at month 4 of my job and they’re just now getting around to giving me consistent work

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I need to go work for a bank.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Umbreon posted:

It's been two months since I've started this job at <BANK>. I still haven't worked a single ticket, my training still isn't even *defined* anywhere, much less complete, and I only actually receive any training from someone for an hour or two around once a week, twice if I'm lucky. The rest of the time I'm just being paid to sit there.

I get that they're too understaffed to spare anyone to train me, but this still feels so incredibly wrong and I've been desperately looking for any training material I have access to. I found a 40 page document labeled "Basic ticket handling steps" which I've been using to keep myself busy, but it's outdated as hell and missing a ton.

Dumb question:

Is it possible for a company to hire someone for an understaffed team but have to let that person go because they literally can't spare anyone to train the new guy?

if they end up hiring anyone else lmk, that's my dream job

anyway my boss threatened to write me up because i tried to bring up something that wasn't on her agenda in her check-in meeting

she didn't have an agenda and never does

also i asked to rename an intune group so it says "application installation group" rather than
"T.O.'s test group" but my boss said we won't get to it until July. It takes about 30 seconds, and I'm including signing in to the laptop in that.

but hey they're buying pizza for us tomorrow!

:smith:

please for the love of christ someone hire me

bonus my boss bullshit:

"team building isn't work"
"work from home is a privilege"
<to a user> "just document using the printscrn key and paint, I'm not buying a documentation tool."

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 15, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Your boss sucks. That's not news, but it needed to be said.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

I’m at month 4 of my job and they’re just now getting around to giving me consistent work

My current job was about 9 months. Pretty wild. I'm used walking into disasters and hitting the ground running.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, finance is nice in that they generally understand the value of spending money, and are okay with long project timelines. If you can stand the red tape, documentation, and auditing it's not a bad place to have a gig.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

My current job was about 9 months. Pretty wild. I'm used walking into disasters and hitting the ground running.

I've worked out of NOCs my entire career and the longest amount of training I ever got was 3 weeks. Getting dumped directly into a raging tire fire fresh out of a week of training or so has been my experience at every job for over 10 years now. It's literally giving me anxiety to be sitting here doing nothing while the team I'm supposed to be helping eventually is so busy that they can't train me.

As for what training I did get, well... I'm honestly terrified. The processes are so extremely convoluted and broken that while showing me how to work a simple cable replacement ticket, it took almost 2 hours and at the end I was told we were "almost halfway done with the ticket". At one of my previous jobs, a ticket like that would have taken less than 3 minutes tops. Working a ticket here is literally 95% extremely convoluted processes that are all done manually and require waiting on approval for anything ever, and none of it is written down anywhere because "The processes change so much that any guide we make will become outdated in a month or so anyway".

Oh, and that ticket I mentioned it before that took 2 hours? We wound up having to start over the next day because it got rejected by the field techs. Apparently, for one specific location in one state, if you try to dispatch without first identifying the color of the cable you need to be replaced, it will be rejected. And of course that color coding isn't written down anywhere (nor is the fact that we need to identify the cable colors in the first place for that location) so we had to do a separate dispatch to identify the cable first, wait for that dispatch to complete, and then make another one to go actually replace it on a different day, all of which requires multiple approval steps even though there is redundancy.

Nothing about this job so far feels attached to reality and I don't know how to feel anymore.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ran some ethernet wire this week out in the shop floor and installed some new and better APs (Aruba AP25s), I tried out these toolless keystone jacks (even though I have a punch down tool). I don't think they should be called toolless since I wasn't able to get the top part seated without a tool (a quick clamp) I don't see how it's doable with hand power only and I don't think I'm a weakling baby.

e:
This was also my first time using Aruba and their cloud based stuff. I was confused at first why it didn't work, the installation instructions that it came with didn't even mention I had go to their website and create an account and enter the serial there. I knew it was cloud based but assumed it would just phone home and I'd go to the local IP it was assigned and continue setup from there.

Maybe there was an app that would've made it easier but don't get a work phone and I don't want more apps...

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 15, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Umbreon posted:

I've worked out of NOCs my entire career and the longest amount of training I ever got was 3 weeks. Getting dumped directly into a raging tire fire fresh out of a week of training or so has been my experience at every job for over 10 years now. It's literally giving me anxiety to be sitting here doing nothing while the team I'm supposed to be helping eventually is so busy that they can't train me.

As for what training I did get, well... I'm honestly terrified. The processes are so extremely convoluted and broken that while showing me how to work a simple cable replacement ticket, it took almost 2 hours and at the end I was told we were "almost halfway done with the ticket". At one of my previous jobs, a ticket like that would have taken less than 3 minutes tops. Working a ticket here is literally 95% extremely convoluted processes that are all done manually and require waiting on approval for anything ever, and none of it is written down anywhere because "The processes change so much that any guide we make will become outdated in a month or so anyway".

Oh, and that ticket I mentioned it before that took 2 hours? We wound up having to start over the next day because it got rejected by the field techs. Apparently, for one specific location in one state, if you try to dispatch without first identifying the color of the cable you need to be replaced, it will be rejected. And of course that color coding isn't written down anywhere (nor is the fact that we need to identify the cable colors in the first place for that location) so we had to do a separate dispatch to identify the cable first, wait for that dispatch to complete, and then make another one to go actually replace it on a different day, all of which requires multiple approval steps even though there is redundancy.

Nothing about this job so far feels attached to reality and I don't know how to feel anymore.

oh hey! didn't realize we were working together. the good news is that hell will be better than where we are now

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tokin opposition posted:

<to a user> "just document using the printscrn key and paint, I'm not buying a documentation tool."

I have never seen a documentation tool before and somehow it has never occurred to me to look for one. What's available, what do you like?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, finance is nice in that they generally understand the value of spending money, and are okay with long project timelines. If you can stand the red tape, documentation, and auditing it's not a bad place to have a gig.

Let me tell you about the horrors of MAS.(Money Authority of Singapore)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tokin opposition posted:

My boss is now demanding all staff get her approval before using any website because someone used a free, no-signup crossword puzzle site for a staff meeting. My coworkers proposed solution was to implement a whitelist of approved sites. We're a 90 person nonprofit, not the NSA or anything.

I feel your pain there, it sucks but if you actually have a compliance need for this, the pain goes away after a couple of weeks

it's like SEL: once you have a good profile, you can just kind of let it chug & shrug along :shrug:

if they're actually serious about it, you're going to need a good cloud infrastructure resolver

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
e: ignore, I'm running on about 2 hours of sleep and didnt realize tokin was joking

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Umbreon posted:

I mean, yeah it sounds like hell from your perspective that something as simple as a cable swap can be so annoying, but consider it from the business standpoint.

How well do you think this conversation would go "Well, the reason for the outage Mr. Executive Director is that the data center operations guys had a ticket to swap out a cable, they did it during business hours but accidentally touched the production cable for our host rather than the backup cable for the dev host. We were at a single point of failure at that moment as we had a down NIC and were waiting on HP to ship us the replacement. All touch activities should happen during off prod hours going forward."

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Umbreon posted:

Felt a similar way in the first couple weeks of my new job. Had a chat with my manager to see what 30, 60, 90 day expectations were. He basically said don't worry and observe/learn how the team works. These huge corps are pretty slow ships and its more important keeping the money machine going than rapid potentially sloppy changes that could cause downtime for the money machine. Did finally get to do babbies first change ticket execution yesterday. :shobon:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

I need to go work for a bank.

I work for a regional bank and it has some ups and downs with that. For a handful of IT teams, you hit the ground running. But I know some of the software support and application groups, they have a long leadup.

One of our problems is there is essentially nothing between the help desk/tier 1 and us. So any problem they can't solve that has been deemed a network problem is immediately on us. So you have senior network people doing things like connecting patch cords or replacing UPS batteries.

But, we get decent benefits I guess. I personally get more PTO then I know what to do with, but that is a me problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

guppy posted:

I have never seen a documentation tool before and somehow it has never occurred to me to look for one. What's available, what do you like?

Don't know that I'd describe it as a documentation tool but if you just need a better solution for taking screenshots and then doing basic manipulation, for free, which is what it sounds like Token needs, give GreenShot a look. Also Powerpoint has some in-built functions for that and screen recording a lot of people seem to not know/forget about.