Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

The Bible posted:

This, of course, depends very heavily on how white/rich you are.
True, I knew a guy some time ago who was dumber than a sack of hammers and had about the same net worth. Cops got him on PI by asking him to step out of his house and this is in a town where the previous sheriff killed himself over an embezzlement scandal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Islamic Shock posted:

This. A crime that would have still been otherwise attempted given the opportunity and the nonexistence of the police. If they know you use drugs for instance they don't get to knock on your door and offer you your favorite because it's pretty plausible you're mostly buying out of sheer convenience (or unwanted temptation) there.

I'm pretty sure that actually wouldn't be entrapment in the US. If some random stranger knocks on your door claiming to be a drug dealer and offers to sell you drugs, most reasonable people would probably say "no".

If undercover cops started showing up at your door every few months to offer you cheap drugs, while also pushing very hard to persuade you to buy, then it might be a different story. For example, Jacobson v. US, in which the USPS sent a suspected pedophile a variety of pedophilic propaganda and recruiting materials over the course of several years, along with the occasional mail-order catalog. But if an undercover cop just asks you once if you'd like to commit a crime, and you say yes, then you're going to have a hard time convincing the judge that the government pushed you into something you wouldn't have done anyway.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm pretty sure that actually wouldn't be entrapment in the US. If some random stranger knocks on your door claiming to be a drug dealer and offers to sell you drugs, most reasonable people would probably say "no".

If undercover cops started showing up at your door every few months to offer you cheap drugs, while also pushing very hard to persuade you to buy, then it might be a different story. For example, Jacobson v. US, in which the USPS sent a suspected pedophile a variety of pedophilic propaganda and recruiting materials over the course of several years, along with the occasional mail-order catalog. But if an undercover cop just asks you once if you'd like to commit a crime, and you say yes, then you're going to have a hard time convincing the judge that the government pushed you into something you wouldn't have done anyway.

So just in case that made anyone else curious, no the USPS didn’t have a catalog of nubile boys just kicking around. The post office wrote most of the materials and they were generally along the lines of informational packets for fake organizations for pedophile rights. Jacobsen was also bizarrely willing to fill out random surveys he got in the mail, up to and including saying he wanted to have sex with teen boys.

Although eventually there was also some smut, so please enjoy this quote I found on wikipedia of the steamiest man-boy romance an 80’s postal employee could write :

quote:

So Comfort, under the pseudonym "Carl Long", wrote back using a technique called "mirroring", claiming to have interests calculated to be similar to those believed held by Jacobson, and specifically, to be equally interested in depictions of sex acts between young boys. Jacobson said he, too, liked "good looking young guys (in their late teens and early 20s) doing their thing together".

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Islamic Shock posted:

This. A crime that would have still been otherwise attempted given the opportunity and the nonexistence of the police. If they know you use drugs for instance they don't get to knock on your door and offer you your favorite because it's pretty plausible you're mostly buying out of sheer convenience (or unwanted temptation) there.

Just don’t charge him with selling the documents. Just having them is illegal in and of itself and isn’t part of the scheme.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Murgos posted:

Just don’t charge him with selling the documents. Just having them is illegal in and of itself and isn’t part of the scheme.
Yes. I was mostly thinking he's gonna try and claim he fabricated documents to sell specifically because the feds came looking to buy them, which come to think about it what crime if any is it for trying to sell fake intelligence to not the US that you are plausibly in a position to have

Also thinking more about it I assumed he'd not definitively reveal that he has classified documents or where to the seller until the point of sale, but as you say the sale being entrapment doesn't matter if the documents can be seized then.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 14, 2024

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Are you allowed to sell baby powder as cocaine? If no then I assume a similar law exists, probably some sort of fraud

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

cr0y posted:

Are you allowed to sell baby powder as cocaine? If no then I assume a similar law exists, probably some sort of fraud

you are not; every state i can see in a few moments of googling has laws against "imitation controlled substances". to be fair i wondered it too

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Tayter Swift posted:

You sure that's not entrapment?

Potentially entrapment for "trying to sell government documents" if they did it wrong.

However, definitely not entrapment for "still having more loving government documents"

Caros
May 14, 2008

So it turns out that Smirnov, the confidential source who lied about the Biden's, got paid $600,000 by a brand new shell company for his part in some crypto garbage that never materialized right before he started ratting on Biden.

The guy who set up that fund is a 1/3rd partner in a similarly named company alongside two or Trump's close business associates.

Certainly not a smoking gun, but there definitely is smoke.

https://twitter.com/AlisonR61423986/status/1768309479282450880?t=ZC9RWCnUD5GrPKMGSPaPGA&s=19

Link to the guardian piece.

Edit: top poster in the link is a bit of a crank with a grudge, but the infographic is straight from the article and sums it up well.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

redbrouw posted:

Back On Board

Spelled "bored" - Norm

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

cr0y posted:

It depends on the location.

I had a client who was a student who was making some money on the side by selling "weed."
He got caught by the local cops and charged with possession and possession for sale or supply.
He told me what his defence was and we ran it.
We ask for the drugs to be forensically analysed (which is a step in all drugs offences here unless you voluntarily waive it, normally only happens if you are pleading guilty.)

So a couple of months goes by and the forensic report comes back which backs up what my clients defence was.
Namely that what he was selling wasn't weed, but was tea. He had been cutting open tea bags and selling it on to gullible student types.

So, the State withdraw all charges and he walks.
Afterwards I tell him that legally he's fine and the State cant go after him. But he still needs to watch for street justice and former customers tracking him down.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Tbf I think it's safe to assume in The Trump Legal thread that we're talking about US case law

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i mean "attempted drug dealing" indeed *harumph*

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbf I think it's safe to assume in The Trump Legal thread that we're talking about US case law

There are 50 states with different laws.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fart Amplifier posted:

There are 50 states with different laws.

I'm aware, but The Question IRL is qualified to practice law in Ireland

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

You sure that's not entrapment?

One should never miss an opportunity to share this comic-based explanation of entrapment.

https://thecriminallawyer.tumblr.com/post/19810672629/12-i-was-entrapped

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Question IRL posted:

It depends on the location.

I had a client who was a student who was making some money on the side by selling "weed."
He got caught by the local cops and charged with possession and possession for sale or supply.
He told me what his defence was and we ran it.
We ask for the drugs to be forensically analysed (which is a step in all drugs offences here unless you voluntarily waive it, normally only happens if you are pleading guilty.)

So a couple of months goes by and the forensic report comes back which backs up what my clients defence was.
Namely that what he was selling wasn't weed, but was tea. He had been cutting open tea bags and selling it on to gullible student types.

So, the State withdraw all charges and he walks.
Afterwards I tell him that legally he's fine and the State cant go after him. But he still needs to watch for street justice and former customers tracking him down.

I had a similar case once with a guy who got busted with over 1500 pills in his car and another 1k in his apartment.

After testing they were all sugar pills.

"Man, no wonder. I was taking thirteen of those a day!"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I had a similar case once with a guy who got busted with over 1500 pills in his car and another 1k in his apartment.

Was he sentenced to insulin?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/prosecutors-request-trump-hush-money-trial-delay_n_65f34cc2e4b0b4d0b898c729?ww9

This fucker is never seeing the inside of a courtroom ever again.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Reporting from Cannons hearing today seems to indicate that she’s not likely to dismiss the case. Said his claims would be strong defenses at trial but not dismissal.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My dad was diabetic and the sweetner he used as a sugar substitute for his coffee was in pill form that came in a plastic dispenser.

I think it was Hermesetas. I wonder how many people have gotten into poo poo over those tiny sweetner pills...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

How is this different from many of the various other examples of Trump's lawyers attempting procedures to delay things which often results in just being denied?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In this case it's the prosecutors requesting the delay.

Because they suddenly got a treasure trove of new evidence of Trump crimes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tesseraction posted:

In this case it's the prosecutors requesting the delay.

Because they suddenly got a treasure trove of new evidence of Trump crimes.

Yeah, I’m significantly more interested in the documents that would make the DA ask for a delay.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Sundae posted:

One should never miss an opportunity to share this comic-based explanation of entrapment.

https://thecriminallawyer.tumblr.com/post/19810672629/12-i-was-entrapped

I love this series. There is a whole website for the lessons now!

Surprisingly useful in internet arguments.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cannon doing one non-dogshit ruling for every 40 dogshit rulings:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1768390446735053127?s=46

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Cannon doing one non-dogshit ruling for every 40 dogshit rulings:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1768390446735053127?s=46

some folks I follow seem to believe that this ruling is also dogshit in that it foreshadows some bullshit that is to come:

I'm no lawyer, but is it typical for a judge to say "motion denied without prejudice, but hey it's just a bit premature, maybe try again once we've seated a jury" instead of just saying "motion denied without prejudice"?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Blotto_Otter posted:

some folks I follow seem to believe that this ruling is also dogshit in that it foreshadows some bullshit that is to come:

I'm no lawyer, but is it typical for a judge to say "motion denied without prejudice, but hey it's just a bit premature, maybe try again once we've seated a jury" instead of just saying "motion denied without prejudice"?

Well, she's saying that it might be explored ore during the trial. To me, that has to be part of the defense anyway, and I have every confidence that the prosecution will be able to sharpen that pencil to a very fine point.

i.e.: They can't take their unopened box of clay pigeons home and cancel the shoot, they'll have to pitch them up one at a time & let the prosecution vaporize them.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 14, 2024

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, I’m significantly more interested in the documents that would make the DA ask for a delay.

From my reading of the article that's not what happened. The DA has asked for a delay because Trump's side has asked for additional disclosure and the DA have provided it to them.

This is where things breakdown. Trump's team says this proves that the State were breaking all protocols for disclosure and only providing stuff at the 11th hour.
Meanwhile the State are saying they told Trump's team that there was a whole bunch of disclosure they could have if they wanted some seven months ago, and the Trump Team have only asked for it now.

I'd say that it is a tactic of deliberately incompetence to try to get the longest delay possible, and the State is opting to play it safe. Give them a 1 month delay and push for the trial to go ahead.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

Is there any reason to think that guy actually has any idea what he's talking about? "Some random twitter dude thinks this is suspicious" doesn't mean much, there's always some random Twitter dude who'll think drat near anything whether it makes any sense or not.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Main Paineframe posted:

Is there any reason to think that guy actually has any idea what he's talking about? "Some random twitter dude thinks this is suspicious" doesn't mean much, there's always some random Twitter dude who'll think drat near anything whether it makes any sense or not.

I mean, search this thread for "jeopardy" and you'll find many posts theorizing that Cannon will wait to dismiss until a jury is seated to protect him from being tried again.

We have acknowledged it as the most she could possibly do to protect him, but yeah we talked about this idea plenty last year, right in this very thread.

Not to say I support the doomer mindset, just it's definitely what we've all considered as the worst possible timeline outcome :shrug:

Honestly I'm more focused on the state cases since federal stuff I figure even if they find him guilty he will be just pardoned by the next chud asap. So I'm more worried about Fani getting dismissed at this point :(

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 15, 2024

Counted
Apr 28, 2023
Judge McAfee said to still expect his ruling tomorrow in a local interview he gave today.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...VPXWBWQ7ZBU3KU/

quote:

“What can you tell us about the timing of your order on the Fulton DA disqualification issue?” Winne asked McAfee.

“So this week?” Winne asked McAfee.

“Should be out tomorrow,” McAfee said.

Winne spoke with McAfee as he attended a Rotary Club meeting Thursday in Roswell.

“The message I want to convey is no ruling of mine is ever going to be based on politics. I’m going to be following the law the best I understand it,” McAfee said.

Here's hoping the walls will be stained red with ketchup at Mar-a-Lago soon

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
McAfee says Fani Willis can stay on the case. LOL

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, caveat, she has to dismiss Wade if she stays on:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/03/15/fani-willis-trump-georgia-case/

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
That seems... reasonable?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Best possible result. And a carefully-considered opinion, to boot. He finds there is no evidence of impropriety but that the appearance of such would continue to encumber the prosecution "unnecessarily".

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Riptor posted:

That seems... reasonable?

Seems like a win, actually. From what I gather, he's mediocre at his job anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Seems like a win, actually. From what I gather, he's mediocre at his job anyway.

Then why the gently caress did she hire him? It just shows such insanely poor judgement that I'm concerned at her competence in prosecuting the case going forward.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

zoux posted:

Then why the gently caress did she hire him? It just shows such insanely poor judgement that I'm concerned at her competence in prosecuting the case going forward.

I think Wade was probably fine from a skill set point of view and the personal chemistry pushed it over the edge. (Maybe I'm too beaten down by US workplace culture, but that doesn't seem that different from any other industry.) He's an experienced litigator and former municipal court judge.

It's not like there's some set legal track to specialize in election interference cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Wasn't he not her first choice? And then there's the whole "This case is actually paying below average" thing, even if it's a high-profile case, I can't see... well, okay, let's be honest, any lawyers involved with this are going to be looking over their shoulder for the rest of their lives because they dared to challenge the glorious god-emperor Trump, who's loyal and devoted followers are not at all batshit crazy loons who would gladly get revenge on someone for toppelling their bronzoredgolden God.