Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Flint_Paper posted:

This is an idiom I'd not heard before! After some googling I'm still not sure what it means in this context - is it that it's a cheap shot? Where's my dictionary of American slang when I need it

Nah, it's from Tribes, the old FPS game. Means air-shotting them with a projectile, a proper skillshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The Sickle not sounding anything like it did in HD1, or even like a laser weapon, as well as not even looking like it's firing beams like it did in the first game, is really triggering me :(

It sounds like the drat Liberator.

toasterwarrior posted:

Nah, it's from Tribes, the old FPS game. Means air-shotting them with a projectile, a proper skillshot
Arguably the most euphoric gaming feeling was hitting poo poo midair with discs. First massive terrain game I think I ever played and it was so rewarding if you were any good at it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ijyt posted:

this looks so rude and so funny I must remember to melee more

There's nothing more frustrating then watching someone slowly back up and die to being rushed down by a bug they could just beat the poo poo out of if they remembered that V existed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Flint_Paper posted:

This is an idiom I'd not heard before! After some googling I'm still not sure what it means in this context - is it that it's a cheap shot? Where's my dictionary of American slang when I need it

As other said it's from Tribes who's iconic weapons were called "Spinfusors" which fired a blue, disk-shaped grenade. In a game about fast movement and sliding along terrain like it was a skate park one of the best feelings was nailing some dude with it while they were in the middle of their ballistic arc.

Durzel posted:

The Sickle not sounding anything like it did in HD1, or even like a laser weapon, as well as not even looking like it's firing beams like it did in the first game, is really triggering me :(

It sounds like the drat Liberator.

Yeah it's a good weapon, I like it but...it sounds all wrong! They should at least raise the pitch or something.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Played with my first hacker yesterday. I noticed he was throwing a lot of impact grenades all match but didn't question it until evacuation time. Then I noticed he was throwing non stop and when I finally started counting I counted 22 throws and a ton more before that, that I didn't catch. I asked how many grenades he had and he responded 99999.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Virginia Slams posted:

Played with my first hacker yesterday. I noticed he was throwing a lot of impact grenades all match but didn't question it until evacuation time. Then I noticed he was throwing non stop and when I finally started counting I counted 22 throws and a ton more before that, that I didn't catch. I asked how many grenades he had and he responded 99999.

With that name, I can see at least he is smart enough to do it in a separate account.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Virginia Slams posted:

There's actually a bug that causes the grenade ammo counter to go up instead of down when youre throwing grenades

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Also tried out the tesla tower today. That thing is gloriously dumb. Absolutely shuts down an area...and has an amazing ability to just reach out and delete random Helldivers that should have been outside of minimum safe distance. I love it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Until the first charger rams straight through it :negative:

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Fishstick posted:

There's actually a bug that causes the grenade ammo counter to go up instead of down when youre throwing grenades

I've had a similar glitch with the machine gun where if I spam reload too fast it freaks out and I have infinite ammo in a magazine until I die or switch weapons. But I've never heard or seen that with grenades before.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Was playing with the most atrocious group synergy yesterday. It was one of those blitz matches so the map was really condensed and we were just defending against swarms of bugs. I had the shotty. Two team mates had mortar sentry guns. I must have died about 8 times to those annoying sentries because I was up close and personal with the enemy. The fourth guy in the group, I've got no clue what weapon he had but he kept mass electrocuting all of us so we'd become dazed and slow and then get smacked to hell by bugs. Worst group I've ever played with and I was so glad when that shuttle finally landed. None of them seemed to even realise how much friendly fire they were doing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ijyt posted:

Until the first charger rams straight through it :negative:

I mean that's basically every turret. Chargers actively target them.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Having a blast with a maximum lasers build running the Sickle, Laser Cannon and the Guard Dog laser rover on the extreme cold planet. Never need to worry about heat and can use strategems for the big stuff.

Echoing the feedback on the Sickle sound design. I like the idea of a rapid fire laser weapon but the experience really does feel like a regular projectile weapon. I was hoping for more pew-pew than dakka but :shrug:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Honestly the weapon sounds are kinda disappointing in general. When I unlocked the JAR I was hoping it would sound kinda like Darktide's bolter (a high bar to be fair) but no it just sounds like a slightly different Liberator.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i headshot a brood commander and then it stood still for a second, then called up some warriors.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Big dead bugs can cause some weird jankiness when it comes to moving around their bodies or where the game thinks their bodies are, you got to wait for them to despawn basically because they will send you flying or kill you for being "crushed" by the air.

Oh yeah that definitely happens a lot but this was a new thing to me. The invisible kill boxes where there before any bugs had been killed, much less any large ones. Same with the extraction point. We died immediately on walking in, no odd geometry, no bug corpses, no bugs that had been made hostile yet that may have launched unfortunately invisibly bile artillery. Just a couple spots on the map where if you walked in to them you instantly died.

It was really funny seeing something I hadn't heard described before and then watching a couple of pubs waste ten reinforcements pointing it out to themselves over and over. Especially funny when we found it again on extract. I hope they fix it but I'm going to enjoy it while it's here.

E: oh, the first weird things we noticed about the area was that our stratagems wouldn't work inside of it. I tried throwing a laser and the pub tried throwing a 500k bomb or airstrike or something, something to start off the hole closing and get the group of docile bugs sitting in the big bug nest, but they just disappeared like when you throw a stratagem into a space thats being jammed by bots.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 15, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl0KrFAMhGg

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spookydonut posted:

i headshot a brood commander and then it stood still for a second, then called up some warriors.

I saw that for the first time last night too. A brood commander was getting drilled with primary fire, and as it died three warriors came up out of the ground right where it was. No bug breach or anything, it's own personal summon.

Which means, of course, I quickly had four headless bugs scything me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shoot the legs

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Hwurmp posted:

shoot the legs

I just shoot in their general direction and their big dumb heads pop off first every time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sickle should sound like this IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otDXYR8Mcy0

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've had a patrol spawn across me when I turned away and snapped back. I thought it was a fluke when a mob of medium bugs literally spawned from thin air right on top of me in the game after. poo poo sucks, man.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 15, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

FYI Termicide Silos take friendly fire damage including from strategems

No this is not stated anywhere ingame

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I've had a patrol spawn across me when I turned away and snapped back. I thought it was a fluke when a mob of medium bugs literally spawned from thin air right on top of me in the game after. poo poo sucks, man.

I really think they need to just add a 5 second spawning animation and/or grace period if this is how they want patrols to work.

I've had the same thing happen with bots except the patrol spawned 3 jp dudes who immediately suicided and killed me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fishstick posted:

This includes any explosive sentries shooting bugs around the silo. They will bring it down in two bursts. Never put autocannon(or I guess rocket) sentries anywhere with a line of sight to the silo, and never bring standard mortars(always bring EMS mortars, EMS rules).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fishstick posted:

it's stated by the stability state going down :)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TCS gamemode is a bit dangerous, I've died numerous times to the water pools near the TCS centre. I just had a game that majorly bugged out, we chose our landing spot (I was host) and my hellpod landed directly in one of the water pools. My stamina drained and I figured I'd die and respawn, but my character "died" but the game still considered me alive. I couldn't perform any actions, the only thing I could do was spectate other people and my dead/alive corpse.

After ten minutes, I think one of my teammates died and I got queued up for respawn. The game immediately hung when I stepped out of my hellpod and then after 1 minute, the game unfroze and the other players were booted from the server.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Goon: "Apologies for lasering you"

Me, an intellectual who revenge killed them with my Hellpod: "No wuckas mate"

:v:

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Dyz posted:

I really think they need to just add a 5 second spawning animation and/or grace period if this is how they want patrols to work.

I've had the same thing happen with bots except the patrol spawned 3 jp dudes who immediately suicided and killed me.

I've had the random pop in patrols too, and I haven't seen them mention it being a thing too so I'm guessing it's working by design? If thats the case it seems that the intention was that you would most likely always be near your team and not have solos running off, but in practice most of my diff 9 games are 1 guy outpacing everyone in scout/light armor, doing basically everything and everyone else just trailing behind mopping up the mobs they incite.

It seems they never considered that not everyone was going to be a team player, but they've also massively exploded in population so I guess it's plausible, just odd

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Fishstick posted:

ijyt posted:

it's stated by the stability state going down :)
The letters start blinking red and shaking even. Plus pretty much everything does friendly fire damage in this game, why would those silos be exempt?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Fishstick posted:

Annoyingly the orbital laser stratagem will target the towers, making it utterly useless on the TCS missions.

At least it hits them at the top, seemingly way above the damage hitbox so it doesn't actually hurt the tower, but still...

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Exodee posted:

The letters start blinking red and shaking even. Plus pretty much everything does friendly fire damage in this game, why would those silos be exempt?

They do that for bug damage too, and since I dont have a habit of calling in strats or shooting the silo unless stuff is threatening it closeby so I never noticed stab going down because of FF. Theres also no hit indicator when hitting it or any non-ui visual feedback for it so its not wildly out of expectations to assume the thing doesn't take friendly fire

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Qubee posted:

TCS gamemode is a bit dangerous, I've died numerous times to the water pools near the TCS centre. I just had a game that majorly bugged out, we chose our landing spot (I was host) and my hellpod landed directly in one of the water pools. My stamina drained and I figured I'd die and respawn, but my character "died" but the game still considered me alive. I couldn't perform any actions, the only thing I could do was spectate other people and my dead/alive corpse.

After ten minutes, I think one of my teammates died and I got queued up for respawn. The game immediately hung when I stepped out of my hellpod and then after 1 minute, the game unfroze and the other players were booted from the server.

If this happens again get a teammate to shoot your corpse. The water didn't fully kill you, seems to be a bug from them fixing armor.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fishstick posted:

Theres also no hit indicator when hitting it or any non-ui visual feedback for it so its not wildly out of expectations to assume the thing doesn't take friendly fire

there is a giant alarm sound when the silo takes damage

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I just hate it when bugs climb up it and then clip inside constantly.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Fishstick posted:

They do that for bug damage too, and since I dont have a habit of calling in strats or shooting the silo unless stuff is threatening it closeby so I never noticed stab going down because of FF. Theres also no hit indicator when hitting it or any non-ui visual feedback for it so its not wildly out of expectations to assume the thing doesn't take friendly fire
Considering the sheer amount of friendly fire potential in this game it wasn't that big of a leap imo

But on the plus side I did find out that gas strikes and flames on the ground don't deal damage to it (though directly hitting it with the flamethrower/napalm strike will do so I'm pretty sure)

Dyz posted:

I just hate it when bugs climb up it and then clip inside constantly.
I've had a charger climb up inside of it before lol

Luckily it doesn't seem to deal (much?) damage to it though.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Arc thrower stat tracking is a little broken

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Ironblood posted:

Arc thrower stat tracking is a little broken

The scythe/laser cannon/guard dog also have busted tracking.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

this game rules but it is funny to me how lazy they sometimes are like just copy pasting the liberator sounds to the sickle. a premium weapon that ostensibly one has to pay for and it does not even get unique sounds lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Sometimes I just want to dive alone. I wish there was a way to do exactly that.