Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I keep reading how great TikTok is for the disabled community. Does this mean they stopped hiding videos from people with visible disabilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Artificial Kid posted:

America is talking about America, I’m including the west.

Ah ok, I think I misunderstood your original post.

I think you weaken your argument when you frame this as a concern with China influencing the west when tiktok is used a lot outside of western countries. If we're talking about states that control social media applications, we're talking about China and the US (which is what I thought you meant). If we're talking about the influence of Tiktok there's a heap of non western countries that you're excluding with that framing.

Top 5 users: US, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico, Vietnam.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1299807/number-of-monthly-unique-tiktok-users/

A better framing would be to say "hundreds of millions of minds globally" if you're talking about tiktok specifically. Because it includes influence being of considerable concern to a bunch of non-western countries, some of whom (India for example) have already banned or placed restrictions on tiktok, which supports your argument.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 15, 2024

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Be aware the EU already fined TikTok €345 million for privacy breaches of children's data and that's before addressing their illegal transfer of personal data to China - under GDPR there's basically just no way to make that legal, since *both* China and the USA have completely inadequate privacy laws.

The European Data Privacy Board just ordered the European Commission to stop using Microsoft 365 since it breaches GDPR by design. TikTok will get hosed by EDPB because as an EU resident I have rights that my personal data not be sent to anywhere lacking proper protections like China and the USA. The current attempt to paper over that fact for the USA will lose in court *again* (Schrems III, anyone?).

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 15, 2024

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Spoke Lee posted:

I keep reading how great TikTok is for the disabled community. Does this mean they stopped hiding videos from people with visible disabilities?

Between that and the discussion in another thread about the level of self censorship raising to basically a new dialect I don't know why people ITT are defending it as a unique bastion of leftist discourse among the youth?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kagrenak posted:

Between that and the discussion in another thread about the level of self censorship raising to basically a new dialect I don't know why people ITT are defending it as a unique bastion of leftist discourse among the youth?

One of the worst information effects of "social media", meaning most social media, is not just the creation of echo chambers, but specifically the false impression those echo chamber spaces give that they are representative of either the broader platform or broader discourse. It's a great multiplier for radicalizing someone, though, because it very rapidly detaches them from other social standpoints. A lot of the same elements that make TikTok "good" or popular are the same ones that cause its negative effects.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So that Boeing quality whistleblower who was found dead in his truck the morning he was suppose to finish testifying? Totally normal coincidence right?

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/if-...abc-news-4-2024

quote:

When Jennifer needed help one day, Barnett came by to see her. They talked about his upcoming deposition in Charleston. Jennifer knew Barnett filed an extremely damaging complaint against Boeing. He said the aerospace giant retaliated against him when he blew the whistle on unsafe practices.

For more than 30 years, he was a quality manager. He'd recently retired and moved back to Louisiana to look after his mom.

"He wasn't concerned about safety because I asked him," Jennifer said. "I said, 'Aren't you scared?' And he said, 'No, I ain't scared, but if anything happens to me, it's not suicide.'"

Yeah what a strange coincidence.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The chuds are mad at the Black Rifle Coffee, hopefully they can manage to cancel it lol

quote:

Conservatives are calling for a boycott of Black Rifle Coffee after discovering that some of its employees donated to left-wing causes.

In screenshots shared across X this week, users highlighted data from the Federal Election Commission detailing donations made by company employees between 2020 and 2022.

In one example, employees of the veteran-owned business, which rose to prominence due to its perceived pro-Second Amendment leanings, were found to have donated to the left-wing political action committee ActBlue.

Calls were quickly made by right-wing users on social media to boycott Black Rifle Coffee, just like conservatives did with Bud Light after the alcohol brand temporarily partnered with a transgender activist.

“You can’t be America First and donate to ActBlue,” user Tara Bull wrote. “Is it time to Bud Light Black Rifle Coffee Company?”
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/black-rifle-coffee-company-democrat-donations-boycott/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

hooman posted:

I don't think that other countries should be passing laws forcing American divestment of meta and google

Does America have investment in meta and google? Not that there aren't serious security concerns for many American corporations in regards to the American government, and it would absolutely be reasonable to pass laws to limit that susceptibility in widespread, widely used apps, just that the government doesn't actually own or sit on the board of the companies or anything to my knowledge, so "divestment" probably isn't the right word.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

The chuds are mad at the Black Rifle Coffee, hopefully they can manage to cancel it lol

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/black-rifle-coffee-company-democrat-donations-boycott/

The party of “stop being a snowflake” sure is soft.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mobby_6kl posted:

lol, well yeah no poo poo. its a decent sized company and i am sure a bunch of people in it are there for the money and arnt massive weird true believers. i guess what do you call the chud version of rainbow capitalism.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Goddamnit, North Carolina. So Michele Morrow was our local Moms for Liberty poo poo candidate (home schooled her kids, has no idea what she's doing, has multiple times publicly asked for the execution of presidents, etc) lost last year in the local school board elections.

But that hasn't stopped her from trying. She's now the GOP candidate for Superintendent of our entire Public School System. She upset the incumbent in primaries.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/politics/kfile-gop-nominee-north-carolina-public-schools-michele-morrow-executing-democrats/index.html

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Goddamnit, North Carolina. So Michele Morrow was our local Moms for Liberty poo poo candidate (home schooled her kids, has no idea what she's doing, has multiple times publicly asked for the execution of presidents, etc) lost last year in the local school board elections.

But that hasn't stopped her from trying. She's now the GOP candidate for Superintendent of our entire Public School System. She upset the incumbent in primaries.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/politics/kfile-gop-nominee-north-carolina-public-schools-michele-morrow-executing-democrats/index.html

she might very well lose. NC isnt some state going blue like PA but they dont seem to like the Qanon/uber fundie types. helps that robinson will probably hurt the GOP alot in NC.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 15, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KristiNoem/status/1768399246854692869

What is going on with this woman, is she broke?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

possibly, the GOP is getting bled dry with money and has been for the last couple years.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she might very well lose. NC isnt some state going blue like PA but they dont seem to like the Qanon/uber fundie types. helps that robinson will probably hurt the GOP alot in NC.

I don't know. I hope so. She lost in Wake county b/c it's a blue island... but statewide? poo poo she might win.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

Eh, even rich people do paid promotions all the time

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

zoux posted:

How is this not a violation of using her office for profit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

How is this not a violation of using her office for profit?

Turns out you can just ignore those laws

SD Governor Salary is $126k which I imagine goes along way in Pierre

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Feels like grifting taken in the wrong direction. Only strong daddy is supposed to get away with hocking steaks, bottled water and so on and even then it was his Brand™®. This is just low-rent selling out to anyone with a check to cash.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

zoux posted:

Turns out you can just ignore those laws

SD Governor Salary is $126k which I imagine goes along way in Pierre

Pierre is actually really expensive. Or at least for a small town in the middle of SD. I've had a couple friends who have lived there in the past and it sounds like it's a lot of rich politicians that drive up the price. Heck, just looking up the average home price shows that it's $270k.

Granted, making $126k is still fairly comfortable there

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BonoMan posted:

I don't know. I hope so. She lost in Wake county b/c it's a blue island... but statewide? poo poo she might win.

maybe but she is a true believer nutjob who wont moderate out. the last couple elections have shown people are loving tired of the morality police qanon nuts who ban books and scream at kids and then dont keep the lights running.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Kalit posted:

Pierre is actually really expensive. Or at least for a small town in the middle of SD. I've had a couple friends who have lived there in the past and it sounds like it's a lot of rich politicians that drive up the price. Heck, just looking up the average home price shows that it's $270k.

Granted, making $126k is still fairly comfortable there

$126k salary with an average home price of $270k is not that expensive.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

zoux posted:

She isn't flagging the post #ad, so she might be if the feds come after her (they won't).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It is apparently not illegal in South Dakota for her to do that, but a consumer group is suing her for the dentist commercial and accusing her of violating FTC disclosure rules because she doesn't make clear in her posts that this was an advertisement that she was compensated for.

quote:

Governor Kristi Noem sued over video promoting dentists who fixed her teeth

Lawsuit accuses South Dakota governor of not ‘disclosing that she has a financial relationship with that company’

The South Dakota governor, Kristi Noem, a contender to be named Donald Trump’s presidential running mate, was sued over a video in which she promoted a cosmetic dentistry company showing off work on her own teeth.

Travelers United, a consumer advocacy group, filed suit in Washington DC on Wednesday, accusing Noem of “advertis[ing] a product or service without disclosing that she has a financial relationship with that company”.

The aim, the group said, was to “force” Noem to “make corrective disclosures on all social media posts where she promotes products or services”.

In the five-minute video, Noem says: “I’m the governor of South Dakota and had the opportunity to come to Smile Texas to fix my teeth, which has been absolutely amazing.”

Saying her teeth needed fixing after a biking accident, Noem says she consulted Smile Texas – a Houston company which advertises itself as “Official Dentist of the Miss Texas USA Pageant” – “several years ago … by Zoom” but could not find time for an appointment.

Having found the time, and singing the praises of Dr [Bret] Davis and Dr [Mackenzi McAfee-]Dooley, Noem says the company “finally gave me a smile I can be proud of and confident in” as she pursues her career in politics, “where everything is speaking and interviews and giving speeches.

“I want when people look at me to hear the words that I say and not be distracted by something that I’m wearing or how I look or even my appearance. I want them to focus on my thoughts and ideas and what we can do to really make this country better.

“So for me being able to have a confident smile and have my teeth be something that’s not a distraction, but actually is appealing to people will be helpful because I think that it’ll make sure that we’re focused on really the right points that I want to make and make sure that that confidence shines through. I love it.”

In its suit, Travelers United said: “Kristi Noem is the governor of South Dakota for a living but seems to have taken up work as a social media influencer as of 12 March 2024.

“Companies, like Smile Texas, pay influencers, like Kristi Noem, to promote their product or service to her followers … Sitting politicians do not typically work as part-time social media influencers.”

Residents of Washington DC, the suit said, could see Noem’s video on platforms such as X, Facebook, Instagram or Truth Social (owned by Trump), then fly to Texas for treatment.

Noem, it said, had made “no disclosure that this is an advertisement or that she received any free or discounted medical procedures in exchange for this social media advertisement”, which appeared to have been filmed at Smile Texas headquarters.

The suit also cited social media comments questioning why Noem was advertising a private company. Noem, the suit said, “is a smart woman who knew that laws apply to advertising disclosure on social media … but she never fixed any of her posts promoting Smile Texas.

“Travelers United would like to make clear this lawsuit is merely a lawsuit over the lack of advertising disclosure. Governor Kristi Noem has had many accomplishments in office and Travelers United hopes that after correcting her social media posts she continues to do her job of making her great state even better.”

The suit asks that Noem be enjoined “from advertising on social media without disclosing that she is advertising” and seeks statutory and punitive damages as well as payment of costs.

The Guardian contacted Noem for comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/14/kristi-noem-dental-ad-lawsuit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The National Realtor's Association has agreed to settle with the DOJ over its lawsuit about access to MLS housing data and 6% Realtor commission fees on homes.

The NRA has said this could cost millions of middle class realtors significant amounts of their income and remove up to 600,000 jobs, while the DOJ argued that it artificially inflated housing prices and acted as an effective cartel because over 80% of home sales were through realtors using the MLS system.

This is potentially a huge shift toward flat fees paid to realtors. Some studies expect it to reduce the average income realtors received from commissions by 33% and reduce the average cost of buying a house by about 4%

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1768652053956509765

quote:

Realtor settlement on commission-fixing could create seismic changes in how Americans buy homes

The 6% commission, a standard in home purchase transactions, is no more.

In a sweeping move expected to reduce the cost of buying and selling a home, the National Association of Realtors announced Friday a settlement with groups of homesellers of landmark antitrust lawsuits by agreeing to pay $418 million in damages and eliminating rules on commissions.

“NAR has worked hard for years to resolve this litigation in a manner that benefits our members and American consumers,” said Nykia Wright, interim CEO of NAR, in a statement. “It has always been our goal to preserve consumer choice and protect our members to the greatest extent possible. This settlement achieves both of those goals.”

In November, a federal jury in Missouri found the NAR and two brokerages liable for $1.8 billion in damages for conspiring to keep agent commissions artificially high. The NAR had pledged to appeal the case, but other brokerages settled — and, eventually, so did the NAR on Friday.

NAR had required homesellers to pay a set 6% commission that is typically split evenly between the seller’s agent and the buyer’s agent. Although the NAR said the commission was negotiable and helped make housing more affordable for buyers, critics have long argued that the fees were effectively set and made housing more expensive.

Homesellers bringing lawsuits have argued that in a competitive market, the cost of the buyer’s agent’s commission should be paid by the buyer who received the service, not by the seller. The sellers who brought the lawsuit against the NAR and the brokerages said that buyers should be able to negotiate the fee with their agent, and that the sellers should not be on the hook for paying it.

This settlement, which is subject to a judge’s approval, opens the door to a more competitive housing market. Realtors could now compete on commissions, allowing for prospective buyers to shop around on rates before they commit to buying a home.

Although most realtors are included in the settlement, agents affiliated with the brokerage HomeServices of America continue to fight the case in court and will maintain their 6% commission, the NAR said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 15, 2024

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

So that Boeing quality whistleblower who was found dead in his truck the morning he was suppose to finish testifying? Totally normal coincidence right?

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/if-...abc-news-4-2024

Yeah what a strange coincidence.

Boeing "can't find" any documentation about the work on the door plug and isn't cooperating with the NTSB either. They must have terrible QA practices (none?) for this being covered up so much. Im glad I don't have to fly for work or personal reasons because I wouldn't trust anything involving Boeing right now.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-admits-it-cant-find-records-on-the-alaska-airlines-door-plug-work/

quote:

It was sent Friday to Cantwell on behalf of Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun after a dramatic Senate Commerce Committee hearing Wednesday in which the chair of the NTSB, Jennifer Homendy, scathingly testified that Boeing was not fully cooperating in the federal safety agency’s investigation of the accident on that flight.

quote:

The NTSB investigation focuses on two major issues: Who did the work on the door plug, and did they follow proper procedures?

After two days of obfuscation, one fact is now clearer from Boeing’s letter: Boeing simply doesn’t have the records the NTSB wants detailing the botched job of opening and reinstalling the door plug in Renton.

It looks like no records were kept, or, if they were, they were deleted. Either way, this is a serious, potentially illegal, lapse in standard aviation manufacturing quality processes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

gurragadon posted:

Boeing "can't find" any documentation about the work on the door plug and isn't cooperating with the NTSB either. They must have terrible QA practices (none?) for this being covered up so much. Im glad I don't have to fly for work or personal reasons because I wouldn't trust anything involving Boeing right now.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-admits-it-cant-find-records-on-the-alaska-airlines-door-plug-work/

Good christ heads need to roll over this poo poo. The brief time I worked in aviation years and years ago I had to sign for every single tool I took out of the cut-foam tool racks, sign out every last nut, bolt, hinge, whatever I was going to use for whatever process was on the work sheets, have two-person integrity at all times checking off the steps of every procedure taken, and then sign back in every single tool I used and worn/broken/replaced nut, bolt, whatever was used during the process. That poo poo was kept on file for five years and they made goddamn sure we knew it.

That paperwork either absolutely existed and they've :airquote: lost :airquote: it all, or they're very, very, very specifically not generating that paperwork anymore on purpose.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gurragadon posted:

Reminder that Nikki Haley, while on the board for Boeing, helped kill an initiative to force Boeing to disclose more of its spending to influence regulators so this probably goes beyond terrible/nonexistent QA and instead just goes straight to the fact that Boeing has been playing fast and loose with regulations for years and now the chickens come home to crash and burn roost.

Boeing needs to be shut down or nationalized immediately. I know neither of those things are going to happen but it's nice to think about sometimes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Boris Galerkin posted:

"He wasn't concerned about safety"

Of course not, he was a former Boeing employee :dadjoke:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

She's probably just ahead of the curve. The GOP has been, functionally, a giant scam operation for many years now. See: podcasters selling supplements

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The NRA has said this could cost millions of middle class realtors significant amounts of their income and remove up to 600,000 jobs

The job really should not exist in the form that it does. Realtors ask for fees far in excess of the value they provide, and they persist mainly because of gatekeeping.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

The job really should not exist in the form that it does. Realtors ask for fees far in excess of the value they provide, and they persist mainly because of gatekeeping.

A 6% fee in my city averages at over $35,000 per home lmao.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Timbs posted:

Good news! According to the NRA, a whole lot of them won't exist anymore because of big government after this.

They aren't wrong that a lot of middle class older ladies make a solid living from being a realtor and this is going to significantly cut into their income. I would not be happy about that, but the payment structure really made no sense.

Does it requires 9x more effort or knowledge to sell a high demand $2 million beach house than it does an older $250k house? Not really.

Sucks for the ~1.6 million people who get paid that way, but the average person was paying about $18k more for a house than necessary to fuel that compensation.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Which governor is going to start promoting their OnlyFans first and why is it Ron DeSantis?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So realtors will have to actually provide value now instead of just saying “better offer all cash over asking, this is the only house for sale around!” and collecting checks? Neat.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Which governor is going to start promoting their OnlyFans first and why is it Ron DeSantis?

TBH, my money's on Abbott. He's pre-emptively working on boosting his numbers by banning PornHub in the state

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Knowing capitalism, it's a monkey paw outcome where the first company to come out with an app to replace realtors will become the next Intuit/Uber/Airbnb that we all hate but can't avoid.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Isn't that 6% taken from the seller's side of things? Which in theory prices should come down because of the reduced fees but in reality won't they still try and get the current prices and pocket the difference in reduced fees? How would this actually bring house prices down?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

D-Pad posted:

Isn't that 6% taken from the seller's side of things? Which in theory prices should come down because of the reduced fees but in reality won't they still try and get the current prices and pocket the difference in reduced fees? How would this actually bring house prices down?

They'll try to get as much money as they can no matter what, this doesn't change that. This just takes away their ability to say "Oh, fees are eating up all that part of the price so the seller's not getting that much, we can't negotiate down any further" while giving buyers incentive to demand a better price since they know that 6% isn't assumed any more.

It's just like any other "Won't they keep prices high instead of passing cuts on" or "won't they just pass that tax/fee on to the buyer?" argument. They'll try, but as long as everyone knows the new structure it affects negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

D-Pad posted:

The economic theory will be that the market will dictate the price and the sellers will want to undercut each other rather than lose the sale, so their incentive is there to accept less on the sale price if they’re still pocketing the same amount as before.

In practice does this work the same with home sellers listing probably their most valuable asset as it does with groceries or other retail items sold at volume? Idk, ask an economist.