Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hokuto no Ken secret lair with a reprint of You Are Already Dead and a new Kenshiro legendary that is the first creature to have Septuple Strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Silhouette posted:

Hokuto no Ken secret lair with a reprint of You Are Already Dead and a new Kenshiro legendary that is the first creature to have Septuple Strike
何?!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TotalHell posted:

Marvel may be a little late, but don’t underestimate how much people like superhero stuff. One of my good friends is stoked out of his mind for the Marvel sets. And he’s one of those who got into it largely from the movies rather than coming in from comics. It will still be huge.

The MCU isn’t doing so hot right now, but the characters themselves are timeless.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Wolverine should have Triple Strike and be able to regenerate.
If there's a Cable card I will do a fist pump.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
tony stark will have creature type noble and wolverine will have creature type dog

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Silhouette posted:

I'd be legit excited about a World of Darkness set, ngl

Considering the shared history with vtrs, it’s more likely than many others.

Hell, they even took inspiration from vtes for things like The Monarch.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Wolverine should have Triple Strike and be able to regenerate.

I need a Cable/Deadpool team-up spell like this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Give me public domain UBs. Betty Boop will be public domain in 2026. R&D can start now and have it ready by then. Get Fritzi Ritz a commander deck too.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

can't wait to run Rinoa as my commander

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The most interesting part of the Final Fantasy UB is that it's gonna cut some stuff that has fans, and I'm genuinely not sure what. A Magic set is big, but you still can't put every FF game in equally, and there's gonna be one or two games that gets the shaft but aren't one of the minor ones like 2 that're just happy when Firion gets to be there. Even Doctor Who had an easier task ahead of it there.

My bet's on 8 and 13, those will get a smaller lineup than their fans are happy with, and 8's probably also most likely to not be well-represented mechanically. Special mention to 14, which is gonna be one of the 'star' games that probably gets one of the commander precons, but will still have to cut characters with fans.

EDIT: considering the opposite has some fun, too. What's the tiniest thing that will get a card?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

One of the commander precons will be Chocobo typal and we will all love it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

15 Final Fantasy Commander Precons to appease the fans.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Summon Planeswalker- Wild Man of Borneo

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Summon Planeswalker- Wild Man of Borneo

The card is printed in 15 languages andhr understands none of them.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Khanstant posted:

Give me public domain UBs.

they did that already, it was called Eldraine.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gilgamesh should have a uncommon planeswalker variant to represent his nature as a world shifting comic relief character.

I think 7 and 14 and maybe 16 will get the most stuff as they are the most recent, but the Who and Fallout sets had stuff from all over their history. So there’s hope for some obscure stuff.

If Nybeth gets a card because of his 14 raid I will get him.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

serefin99 posted:

Same. I'm not a huge Final Fantasy guy but I recognize a lot of the characters just from reading LPs of the games and such. Fingers crossed that we get a Gilgamesh card- ideally as a creature so I can actually build a commander deck around him.

Gilgamesh is the single character present in the most FF games. He's about 99.99999% certain to be included, probably with more than one version. I could see him being an equipment-matters creature for sure given many of his appearances are wielding 4-8 different weapons at once.

Cleretic posted:

The most interesting part of the Final Fantasy UB is that it's gonna cut some stuff that has fans, and I'm genuinely not sure what. A Magic set is big, but you still can't put every FF game in equally, and there's gonna be one or two games that gets the shaft but aren't one of the minor ones like 2 that're just happy when Firion gets to be there. Even Doctor Who had an easier task ahead of it there.

My bet's on 8 and 13, those will get a smaller lineup than their fans are happy with, and 8's probably also most likely to not be well-represented mechanically. Special mention to 14, which is gonna be one of the 'star' games that probably gets one of the commander precons, but will still have to cut characters with fans.

EDIT: considering the opposite has some fun, too. What's the tiniest thing that will get a card?

Yeah, this is something I came to realize too. Even ONLY counting the mainline games with none of the sequels or spinoffs (including FFT), you've got 16 games. In a 300 card set, that's less than 20 cards per game. That's barely even enough to cover the main cast of some of them.

Overall, I think FF1, FF2, FF3, and FF13 are the easiest to cut down on without doing the games major disservices. The first three just weren't big games to start with (with both 1 and 3 having generic characters for the party and 2 just being a tiny cast in general) and 13 is actually really compact for its generation. FF1 you can just about cover with a handful of new class cards (bonus points if they're double-sided for promotions!) plus Garland and/or Chaos. FF7, on the other hand, is almost certain to be heavily overrepresented given its popularity and the fact that the remakes are still ongoing.

I've been trying to decide which mechanics I think will be getting reprinted/updated/riffed on with the FF set. Classes are almost a certainty given how many different FF games use them. I wonder if the dragoons might riff on phasing (pay whatever to "jump", phasing them out, then when they phase in they deal damage to a target) or if that's too niche. Similarly, summoning seems easy by just creating big-rear end tokens, but I'm not sure that hits the flavor right.

I'm definitely very interested to see what they do with such a massive and wide-spread property.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zurai posted:

I've been trying to decide which mechanics I think will be getting reprinted/updated/riffed on with the FF set. Classes are almost a certainty given how many different FF games use them. I wonder if the dragoons might riff on phasing (pay whatever to "jump", phasing them out, then when they phase in they deal damage to a target) or if that's too niche. Similarly, summoning seems easy by just creating big-rear end tokens, but I'm not sure that hits the flavor right.

I'm definitely very interested to see what they do with such a massive and wide-spread property.

My bet is there's going to be some kind of 'limit break' keyword. Not sure exactly what it would do, but I'm picturing maybe blending something like a Case or Saga enchantment into them, so a creature gets stronger if you do a certain thing while they're on the field, or have just had them around for a few turns.

At least in commander, I feel like that makes for a fun dynamic, where suddenly everyone's aware we need to deal with this fucker this turn.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm sitting here trying to brew an Omnath Locus of All deck with the main win-con being Realmbreaker and all the monsters showing up but I am absolutely dazzled by the options I've got.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Party will return in a big way

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Toph Bei Fong posted:

And then the hilarity of Baldur's Gate being released long before BG3 was properly released and not just in open beta...

Playing BG3 there was a lot of "oh so that was why I was supposed to care about that dude on the Magic card printed a year ago"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Finally got a chance to take my Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy / Raised By Giants simic bullshit deck to my LGS and play a couple games.

Overall it did ok, I ended up removing the Solve the Equation and Mystical Tutor because they were good, but not much fun. It was my Gale deck, Magar, Junji and Phelddagrif. I killed the Phelddagrif player with a 21/20 unblockable hexproof Gale once before dying to the mono-black player's Syr Konrad infinite. I could have taken out the mono black player first, but the guy running Phelddagrif was going full pillow fort and his wincon was and I'm not even kidding, Divine Intervention. Which is not even a wincon. The Magar deck was kinda cool though, he ended up with a turn 4 hasty unblockable Army of the Damned so the game got a little archenemy-y until the pillow fort stuff started and he started sending all his zombies at that guy, eating through his fogs and protection spells.

Though the mono-black player was also pretty annoying. He was a nice enough guy but as the game went on, his turns would take longer and longer. In a deck with card draw, tutors, reanimation etc, every decision would take him 5 minutes. Someone wiped the board and he drew a bunch of cards from things dying? He took 7 and a half minutes to discard down to hand size. using that strixhaven creature to entomb something took him 5 minutes every time. Every scry trigger from Palantir of Orthanc was a life or death struggle. Every activation of Whisper, Blood Liturgist requires choosing 2 creatures to sacrifice, and 1 to reanimate. His final turn took almost 20 minutes before he figured out he had an infinite combo. During this time I tried to make conversation and asked if it was a new deck. One of the other guys at the table just looks at me and sadly shook his head.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zurai posted:

Yeah, this is something I came to realize too. Even ONLY counting the mainline games with none of the sequels or spinoffs (including FFT), you've got 16 games. In a 300 card set, that's less than 20 cards per game. That's barely even enough to cover the main cast of some of them.

They are going to do it Dissidia style. Most games will just be protagonist/antagonist, 7, 14, and 16 will get a bit more since they're the current sales focus. Maybe another if they start the prepress on whatever game they're remaking after 7. A large portion of the set will be given to the series main stays, like summons, spells, vehicles, and equipment. Maybe even new class enchantments.

Secret Lair will cover some of the missing area, maybe with era drops. NES, SNES Playstation. That sort of thing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get an FFX flavored reprint of Tasha's Hideous Laughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi96ucB7ZdI

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Evil treefolk Exdeath.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A Moose posted:

I could have taken out the mono black player first, but the guy running Phelddagrif was going full pillow fort and his wincon was and I'm not even kidding, Divine Intervention. Which is not even a wincon.

It ends the game. Counts as a wincon to me

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DontMockMySmock posted:

they did that already, it was called Eldraine.

*Arabian Nights

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They are going to do it Dissidia style. Most games will just be protagonist/antagonist, 7, 14, and 16 will get a bit more since they're the current sales focus. Maybe another if they start the prepress on whatever game they're remaking after 7. A large portion of the set will be given to the series main stays, like summons, spells, vehicles, and equipment. Maybe even new class enchantments.

Secret Lair will cover some of the missing area, maybe with era drops. NES, SNES Playstation. That sort of thing.

I could also see a lot of thematic reskins on the bonus sheet, like they did with Fallout

The Sending [Rest in Peace], Bahamut, Lord of Dragons [Tiamat], Buster Sword [Enormous Energy Blade], Balamb Garden [Mobilized District], etc

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Doesn't someone have to win? Flipping the table also ends the game but nobody calls that a wincon

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nobody wins, so by definition it is not a wincon :chord:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A Moose posted:

Doesn't someone have to win? Flipping the table also ends the game but nobody calls that a wincon

Spoilsport. Killing everyone at the same time counts as a draw too but you're the one that ended it and got the last hit.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Playing my “draw-go” deck but no one knows it’s called that because I’m going for a draw.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

In case the "rule zero" conversation was too easy and required too much talking to people, try this!

https://www.edhmultiverse.com/

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-edh-multiverse-a-model-of-the-edh-landscape/

I know their hearts are in the right place, and they present some useful questions, but...

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

In case the "rule zero" conversation was too easy and required too much talking to people, try this!

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-edh-multiverse-a-model-of-the-edh-landscape/

I know their hearts are in the right place, and they present some useful questions, but...

"Now if you would all sit through a quick PowerPoint presentation before we pick our decks..."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gilgamesh should have a uncommon planeswalker variant to represent his nature as a world shifting comic relief character.

I think 7 and 14 and maybe 16 will get the most stuff as they are the most recent, but the Who and Fallout sets had stuff from all over their history. So there’s hope for some obscure stuff.

If Nybeth gets a card because of his 14 raid I will get him.

This FF8 erasure will not stand, I want my gunblade.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jiro posted:

This FF8 erasure will not stand, I want my gunblade.

I have good news for you about 14 then.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Now every deck can be a 7 twice.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Rating my deck like a hex color code

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This guy plays 'wins out of nowhere' decks, the only difference between tables is whether he says it's supposed to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Sandwich Alignment Chart got weird since the last time I looked at it.