Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I drink a lot of sparkling water with lime or lemon and a dash of bitters. The bitters have a little alcohol so if you’re a recovering alcoholic or have to be strict for medical/religious reasons maybe avoid it, but it’s not much so if you’re just cutting back it’s a good drink to have when you don’t want to get drunk or consume a ton of calories.

A dash of bitters into a glass of water is like, practically unmeasurable levels of alcohol. A tenth of a percent or less. Like you said it's worth knowing if you're avoiding for religious or very strict medical reasons, or if the flavor will trigger you as a recovering alcoholic, but otherwise it basically doesn't count, it's no more ethanol than a ripe banana or a jar of sauerkraut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

The bitters have a little alcohol so if you’re a recovering alcoholic or have to be strict for medical/religious reasons maybe avoid it

These situations require a little more exploration to see if they apply.

Many recovery programs support non-alcoholic beer as a safe and fun alternative. Others are officially or unofficially by a majority/plurality of members absolutely dead against it, for reasons ranging from "the taste or even just the setting could trigger you' through 'you need to make an entire break with your old life' to 'alcohol is poison so why would you take it in even in tiny amounts?'.

Religions also vary. Some would have a prohibition on becoming unsober. Other to taking things that make you unsober. Going even further some appreciate rules lawyering and others absolutely do not.

The 'bitters in soda' drink is often recommend by magazines as both replicating the taste and feel of a cocktail while avoiding alcohol. But I can't remember if I've personally done this more than once or twice. I'm guessing if you find the right bitters and soda it should be good, in the same way as if you find the same ingredients your cocktail should be fine.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

So for schools that can only field one team to play against other schools, if that team the State College Varsity Sport Team? Or just the State College Sport Team?

Are there cases where due to funding and feeder programs the school knows it can't compete with other varsity teams, so fields only a junior varsity team (without a full varsity team for it to be 'junior' to) so they can compete with other JV teams with similar talent & resources?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bright Bart posted:

So for schools that can only field one team to play against other schools, if that team the State College Varsity Sport Team? Or just the State College Sport Team?

Are there cases where due to funding and feeder programs the school knows it can't compete with other varsity teams, so fields only a junior varsity team (without a full varsity team for it to be 'junior' to) so they can compete with other JV teams with similar talent & resources?

Varsity isn’t really a college thing since colleges only really do one team per sport. Both of the big college-level organizing groups (NCAA and NAIA) have divisions for many sports to group teams of like skills. When you think of the big national college events like March Madness for basketball and the football bowl system, those are both NCAA Division I (top-tier) events

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Once when I worked as line cook for a restaurant, I had a really upset stomach. My boss took me over to our bar and mixed me a ginger ale and bitters. Not only did it help my stomach, but turned out to be a mighty tasty mocktail!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

My high school had a separate freshman football team as well as JV and varsity teams. I don't know how common that it is but I'm guessing we weren't the only ones.

Was this Texas? Texas is fuckin crazy about high school football.

When I lived there, aeons ago, it was not uncommon to fail all of the seniors on the football team so they could play one more year (and be even bigger than the year before)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bright Bart posted:

The 'bitters in soda' drink is often recommend by magazines as both replicating the taste and feel of a cocktail while avoiding alcohol. But I can't remember if I've personally done this more than once or twice. I'm guessing if you find the right bitters and soda it should be good, in the same way as if you find the same ingredients your cocktail should be fine.

I’m doing it with citrus so it’s really a dressed up sparkling lemonade or limeade. I’m also putting more bitters in that most are thinking so that alcohol is there, but not enough to get drunk or (my main concern) add a bunch of calories. I’d never mistake it for a proper cocktail but I still like them enough to have them a couple times a week.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fruits of the sea posted:

I have family that only drinks natural non-alcoholic beer. There are some great tasting ones, also of the IPA variety, but there’s also a lot that just taste like juice or unsweetened lemon water.

I asked someone I know who is in brewing about this because I was curious. It's because there are two common ways to produce alcohol-free beer.

The first is incomplete fermentation. Brewing is stopped before the yeast can ferment enough sugars into alcohol. This means that the beer has way more sugar in it, resulting in the lovely juice beer. This method is way cheaper because no additional processing or infrastructure is required beyond what breweries already have and do. A lot of cheaper macrobrew brands do this method, like O'Douls and Grolsch.

The second method involves brewing regular beer and getting the alcohol out of there using some sort of elaborate (and likely patented) chemical process. Sometimes other flavors come with it so they have to use yet another elaborate process to reintroduce them. This method makes the good poo poo and I think is the usual way bigger craft operations do it, but it can be pretty expensive.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Anyone know what this bug is? There's a bunch of them hanging around the back of my house, and I want to know if I should be concerned about it.

Bright Bart posted:

Colleges participate in different leagues, depending on their ability to field a quality team. If you can't put a solid team together, you aren't allowed in the top-level leagues. The less prestigious leagues also tend to be more local, since the students are probably going to be more focused on their studies, and also there's no money to be made shipping them across multiple states to go play games.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Euthyrhynchus floridanus

E: in retrospect, maybe not

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 14, 2024

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Anyone know what this bug is? There's a bunch of them hanging around the back of my house, and I want to know if I should be concerned about it.

Western conifer seed bug, maybe?

Edit actually looks more like a kissing bug, which apparently bites.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Where is it (geographically)?

Definitely looks like some kind of shield bug, my guess is boxelder bug. Usually not concerning.

e: i still think it looks more like a boxelder bug than any of the above suggestions but i invite op to look at pics of all of them and also consider where those bugs live vs where op lives

alnilam fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 14, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Boxelder bug definitely sounds plausible. I'm near Philadelphia, should've mentioned that before, so I'm in the range. There's a maple tree in my back yard which might be supporting them. It's nowhere near where the bugs are congregating, though. Maybe they're just active in the back of the house because the house sheltered them while they were overwintering?

Anyway, sounds like something I don't really need to be concerned about. Thanks, y'all!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Maybe this is a lot, and some point might have been answers just not in a way that I understood, but having opened the sports team nomenclature bottle we might as well pour it all:

1. Does a school's JV lacrosse team, which competes only with varsity teams from other schools e.g. because they all only have one team still get called School JV Lacrosse Team?

2. Does a school's only lacrosse team, which competes only with the JV teams of other schools who all have full varsity teams completing in different leagues get called School Varsity Lacrosse Team or School JV Lacrosse Team?

3. Are all these terms relative and unofficial like I feel is being hinted at beneath the surface? Like when Sally comes on screen and complains that she 'didn't make varsity volleyball again this year, and will graduate on the JV team' she's referring to the Auburn Starlet Volleyball in Division IA versus Auburn Heatwave Volleyball in Division IIB, with "varsity" and "junior varsity" appearing nowhere on any paperwork or official website?

4. Can an intramural team from a very competitive and well-funded school compete in the same league as JV or even a varsity teams from other schools? Or do, like I was getting at when posing these questions, have overlap but nevertheless some hard boundaries e.g. if an intramural team competes against varsity teams it is by definition not an intramural team.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Looks like boxelder bug

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bright Bart posted:

Maybe this is a lot, and some point might have been answers just not in a way that I understood, but having opened the sports team nomenclature bottle we might as well pour it all:

1. Does a school's JV lacrosse team, which competes only with varsity teams from other schools e.g. because they all only have one team still get called School JV Lacrosse Team?

2. Does a school's only lacrosse team, which competes only with the JV teams of other schools who all have full varsity teams completing in different leagues get called School Varsity Lacrosse Team or School JV Lacrosse Team?

At the high school level, I do not believe either of these are realistic scenarios. If a school can only field one team, that team is the varsity team and plays against other varsity teams, even if it's a terrible team and goes 0-12 for the season. The expectation is that other teams will say "OK, our soccer team is going up against Clubfoot High this week, better bring some of our JV players so they can get some practice in, because we're going to win easily anyway."

As for your other questions, teams are organized into leagues, generally based on proximity and always on organizational type. Intramural teams and school-affiliated teams don't mix, they have separate leagues and separate seasons. For example, as a swimmer, I was on my high school's swim team in the spring, a club (intramural) team in the summer and winter, and the high school's water polo team in the fall. While on the school teams, I participated in the school's leagues, playing/swimming against teams from other nearby schools. While on the club teams, I participated in competitions with other clubs. I could have been on the club swim team while my school's swimming team was active, but there was no chance that the two teams would face each other in competition (conceivably, I could have been on both teams simultaneously to get more competitions in, but it would have pissed off the coaches). Similarly, when I was doing club water polo, there was no chance that the tournaments I went to would feature high school teams. They might feature club teams who used a high school's pool to practice, but it's a separate organization.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bright Bart posted:

3. Are all these terms relative and unofficial like I feel is being hinted at beneath the surface? Like when Sally comes on screen and complains that she 'didn't make varsity volleyball again this year, and will graduate on the JV team' she's referring to the Auburn Starlet Volleyball in Division IA versus Auburn Heatwave Volleyball in Division IIB, with "varsity" and "junior varsity" appearing nowhere on any paperwork or official website?

4. Can an intramural team from a very competitive and well-funded school compete in the same league as JV or even a varsity teams from other schools? Or do, like I was getting at when posing these questions, have overlap but nevertheless some hard boundaries e.g. if an intramural team competes against varsity teams it is by definition not an intramural team.
1- if there is also a varsity team yes. They wouldn’t have two varsity teams. And you wouldn’t have only a JV team; you’d just call it Varsity then.

2- I’m not sure this would ever happen. Highschool varsity and JV sports are governed by state or smaller conferences and I’m not sure there’s such a thing as a varsity team that only plays JV teams. If the school couldn’t compete they’d probably drop to a lower level.

3- The terms are official. She’d be trying out for the volleyball team at the school she attends, so it would either be the Auburn Starlet Varsity team or JV team.

4- Varsity and JV are governed by athletic conferences. Intramurals are not. There may be some varsity teams that play unofficial scrimmages against intra mural teams. I know some NCAA low division teams play against NAIA teams sometimes (but both of those are varsity, just different overseeing bodies). But in general no, an IM team would not be in an athletic conference so they wouldn’t play against official teams.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Yeah that's a boxelder bug. My folks had a bunch of them on the side of their old house every spring and summer in north Ohio. You might find masses of them on your siding. They're harmless but you can get rid of them with pesticide or barrier treatment.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boxelder bug definitely sounds plausible. I'm near Philadelphia, should've mentioned that before, so I'm in the range. There's a maple tree in my back yard which might be supporting them. It's nowhere near where the bugs are congregating, though. Maybe they're just active in the back of the house because the house sheltered them while they were overwintering?

You've got it exactly. Boxelder bugs are harmless, but they do like using your house as a warm spot to spend the winter if they can find a way in (or even just find a spot behind the siding; that's still going to be warmer than outside). Now that the weather's warming back up, they're becoming a lot more active and looking to head back out into the world.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I drink a lot of sparkling water with lime or lemon and a dash of bitters. The bitters have a little alcohol so if you’re a recovering alcoholic or have to be strict for medical/religious reasons maybe avoid it, but it’s not much so if you’re just cutting back it’s a good drink to have when you don’t want to get drunk or consume a ton of calories.

Lemon, lime and bitters is a popular drink enjoyed by children. Unless you're using an insane amount of bitters, you don't need to worry about the alcohol content any more than you would for non-alcoholic ginger beer or vanilla extract in a cake.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is it just different Sprite

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leave posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Lemon, lime and bitters (LLB) is a mixed drink made with clear lemonade, lime cordial, and bitters.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Ooh, fancy Sprite

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Leave posted:

If you add a thousand pounds of sweetener it becomes something akin to sprite yes

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Tiggum posted:

Lemon, lime and bitters is a popular drink enjoyed by children. Unless you're using an insane amount of bitters, you don't need to worry about the alcohol content any more than you would for non-alcoholic ginger beer or vanilla extract in a cake.

Yeah for sure, I’m just trying to keep people who may strictly avoid alcohol for whatever reason informed. Also I probably dump more bitters in than most would.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Maybe this isn't a small question but: Is the chatter over TikTok valid or sensationalized? Some people that I trust to be intellectually honest are in favor of the ban, but considering what American social media companies get away with I just help but wonder if we're swept up in some jingoistic hysteria.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I asked someone I know who is in brewing about this because I was curious. It's because there are two common ways to produce alcohol-free beer.

The first is incomplete fermentation. Brewing is stopped before the yeast can ferment enough sugars into alcohol. This means that the beer has way more sugar in it, resulting in the lovely juice beer. This method is way cheaper because no additional processing or infrastructure is required beyond what breweries already have and do. A lot of cheaper macrobrew brands do this method, like O'Douls and Grolsch.

The second method involves brewing regular beer and getting the alcohol out of there using some sort of elaborate (and likely patented) chemical process. Sometimes other flavors come with it so they have to use yet another elaborate process to reintroduce them. This method makes the good poo poo and I think is the usual way bigger craft operations do it, but it can be pretty expensive.

Neat, thanks! That does explain why a lot of the cheaper NA beers are so terrible.

Although my guilty pleasure is a cheapo non-alcoholic mango beer. It's basically just fizzy mango juice that's a little tart and not overwhelmingly sweet. Basically my ideal soda for a hot summer day.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Magnetic North posted:

Maybe this isn't a small question but: Is the chatter over TikTok valid or sensationalized? Some people that I trust to be intellectually honest are in favor of the ban, but considering what American social media companies get away with I just help but wonder if we're swept up in some jingoistic hysteria.

Pretty sure it's part McCarthyist anti-China hysteria, part AIPAC panicking about how badly Israel propaganda does on the platform, and part US politicians having their pockets filled with lobbying by Meta and X/Twitter. Also I'm pretty sure a lot of politicians own stock in Meta.

I don't think there's any reason to believe TikTok is using your data for anything more nefarious than any of the other corporations. US is abusing political power to make sure the domestic tech companies dominate.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah TikTok isn’t any more nefarious than other social media but “the wrong people” are running this particular grift.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Magnetic North posted:

Several things are at play.

The stated reason for the bill is that TikTok collects a significant amount of data. It is also partially owned by the Chinese government, and a law in China requires them to hand data over to the government if asked. This creates a pretty plausible espionage concern. But it has for years, and the bill didn’t have the votes to pass the House till now. What changed?

The platform was used extensively to show the atrocities happening in Gaza, which led to support for stopping the Palestinian genocide. A lot of US politicians didn’t like that, and that has influenced their voting.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The platform was used extensively to show the atrocities happening in Gaza, which led to support for stopping the Palestinian genocide. A lot of US politicians didn’t like that, and that has influenced their voting.

My reaction upon seeing this is: It can't be just that, can it? I was under the impression that zoomers supported Palestine because of, well, using their loving eyes rather than by being influenced by social media into supporting Palestine. Though I suppose it's hard to demonstrate a causal relationship either way. Even if zoomers were 100% provably not being indoctrinated, the pro-palestine opinions exist so that could mean the techphobic lawmakers are able to be bamboozled.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I was under the impression that zoomers supported Palestine because of, well, using their loving eyes rather than by being influenced by social media into supporting Palestine.

Videos on TikTok facilitate the whole “using their loving eyes” thing and neither the US or Israeli governments have any pull to stop it.

That’s probably not the entire thing but it likely was the tipping point.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Fruits of the sea posted:

Neat, thanks! That does explain why a lot of the cheaper NA beers are so terrible.

Although my guilty pleasure is a cheapo non-alcoholic mango beer. It's basically just fizzy mango juice that's a little tart and not overwhelmingly sweet. Basically my ideal soda for a hot summer day.

This was third hand being passed down to me but a brewmaster who knew someone I knew apparently said that you can make those 1 or 2% beers to be quite beer-y. Something was explained about how you either need that little amount of alcohol or rather than an adequate process will create that much alcohol. But that the processes for making a 1.5% beer are different than making a 0.0% or 0.5% beer.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Magnetic North posted:

My reaction upon seeing this is: It can't be just that, can it? I was under the impression that zoomers supported Palestine because of, well, using their loving eyes rather than by being influenced by social media into supporting Palestine. Though I suppose it's hard to demonstrate a causal relationship either way. Even if zoomers were 100% provably not being indoctrinated, the pro-palestine opinions exist so that could mean the techphobic lawmakers are able to be bamboozled.

There can be as many different reasons for voting on it as there are votes for it, but it seems to have moved the needle.

Crossposting a quoted article from D&D

“Article” posted:

It was slow going until Oct. 7. The attack that day in Israel by Hamas and the ensuing conflict in Gaza became a turning point in the push against TikTok, Helberg said. People who historically hadn’t taken a position on TikTok became concerned with how Israel was portrayed in the videos and what they saw as an increase in antisemitic content posted to the app.

Anthony Goldbloom, a San Francisco-based data scientist and tech executive, started analyzing data TikTok published in its dashboard for ad buyers showing the number of times users watched videos with certain hashtags. He found far more views for videos with pro-Palestinian hashtags than those with pro-Israel hashtags. While the ratio fluctuated, he found that at times it ran 69 to 1 in favor of videos with pro-Palestinian hashtags.

Rep. Mike Gallagher (R., Wis.), at lectern, was in contact with a data scientist who found far more views for TikTok videos with pro-Palestinian hashtags than those with pro-Israel hashtags. PHOTO: MICHAEL BROCHSTEIN/ZUMA PRESS
TikTok has said its platform doesn’t promote one side of an issue over another.

Goldbloom, who has advocated a ban or sale of TikTok, posted about his findings on X, gaining widespread attention. Nikki Haley cited the analysis in a Republican presidential primary debate. Goldbloom heard from the office of Rep. Mike Gallagher (R., Wis.).

Gallagher heads a House committee focused on China, and the concerns about Israel-Hamas videos on TikTok spurred him and other committee members to renew their attempts to force a sale or ban.

He and the committee’s top Democrat, Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi (D., Ill.), worked with Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco. She had long been vocal within the Biden administration about what she has said she considers to be the national-security risk of TikTok’s Chinese ownership. Her presence, as well as input from the White House’s National Security Council, made it easier for congressional Democrats to buy in.

Monaco and other Biden administration officials helped with another problem. The House China committee expected that even if the legislation passed Congress and the president signed it, TikTok would sue, arguing that it violated the First Amendment. So the committee teamed up with the Biden administration on how it could be written to best survive a legal challenge.

https://www.wsj.com/tech/how-tiktok-was-blindsided-by-a-u-s-bill-that-could-ban-it-7201ac8b?mod=itp_wsj

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Several things are at play.

The stated reason for the bill is that TikTok collects a significant amount of data. It is also partially owned by the Chinese government, and a law in China requires them to hand data over to the government if asked. This creates a pretty plausible espionage concern.

Contrast with Facebook who, supposedly, have been willingly forking over data to the authorities about people getting abortions for a while now.

It's mostly the Gaza thing.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 15, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Videos on TikTok facilitate the whole “using their loving eyes” thing and neither the US or Israeli governments have any pull to stop it.

That’s probably not the entire thing but it likely was the tipping point.

To support this, boomers getting their news from fox or whatever only see interviews with sad Israelis and maybe some curated images of troops moving into Gaza. So basically they support Israel because they're told the propaganda version of the "conflict".
Zoomers on TikTok see the warcrime stuff, which should push them towards antizionism.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thank you for sharing that. Obviously goes against my intuition but that's hardly worth anything.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I’ve had to force myself out of the “It can’t be that bad; you must be explaining it wrong!” mindset these last several years.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why do so many headlines still refer to "Kate Middleton" rather than her title? Maybe referring to her as a duchess would have confused people, but as the Princess of Wales surely they can use that title? (weirdly, I see BBC headlines just calling her "Kate")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Drimble Wedge posted:

Why do so many headlines still refer to "Kate Middleton" rather than her title? Maybe referring to her as a duchess would have confused people, but as the Princess of Wales surely they can use that title? (weirdly, I see BBC headlines just calling her "Kate")

This is just my guess but: to most people, british royals are just celebrities at this point, and most of us outside the UK don't know what any of the titles really mean. People have no idea whether the prince of wales is the next in line or why he isn't called the prince of england instead, or whether his wife is called the princess of wales or the consort to the prince of wales or something entirely different like the duchess of whatevershire. Hell I only recently learned that Queen Elizabeth's husband wasn't considered a King.

But for some reason people have celebrity fascination with them, and know them as celebrities, regardless of their royal titles. So i imagine you'll sell more papers talking about Kate Middleton, a name people know, vs Princess of Wales, which to many people would solicit a "who?"