Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what about a star wars... where there's no stars.... and no wars... can you imagine that?

it's easy if you try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm only 2 episodes in and I'm already a little sick of the Freddy character. I hope it doesn't fall into this constant formula of having Freddy not evolve and gently caress something else up in a very predictable way because they can't think of another way to move the plot along.

I’m about the same length and yeah hopefully not but i suspect he’ll get Ritchied at some point soon

anyways didn’t know it was a spinoff of his movie, forgot about the movie

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/cosmic_marvel/status/1766535952422273138

poo poo rolls downhill

I dunno from everything I've heard I don't think an Oscar-winning performance would have saved the Madame Web movie

also is it me or does Madame Web look like Syndrome from the Incredibles

The right image looks like Alice from Workaholics.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
patty jenkins can't direct action to save her loving life why would they give her a Star Wars movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Because Disney will direct the action for her

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
yeah the action scenes have already been storyboarded out long before the script is written or director cast, that way they can get started on the CGI

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's a little better I guess. boring decisions are better than bad ones (usually)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
when was dakota's job ever to act good???? they knew who they were hiring

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's probably also just a matter of her being well known for being a DC movies director and Disney wanting to steal that "feather" from their cap

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

don johnson wasnt a particularly good actor either but if you needed a character to be a hot and charismatic dude he was your guy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Wonder Woman at least has some interesting moments and setting even if Gal Godot is a particularly bad actress. its real problem is that it had no idea with the third act and falls back on the old superhero standard of "two people shooting beams of colorful light at each other"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

don johnson wasnt a particularly good actor either but if you needed a character to be a hot and charismatic dude he was your guy

i'm glad he's found a nice third act for himself in life playing "hardheaded southern buffoon" characters

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Wonder Woman at least has some interesting moments and setting even if Gal Godot is a particularly bad actress. its real problem is that it had no idea with the third act and falls back on the old superhero standard of "two people shooting beams of colorful light at each other"

was that poo poo always in the comics or did they steal that idea of how to stretch out your movie/tv show from dragon ball

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

it's very funny if you watch dr strange 2 because it's night and day which action sequences were conceived with raimi in the room vs which ones were already in motion when he came on

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

was that poo poo always in the comics or did they steal that idea of how to stretch out your movie/tv show from dragon ball

it probably started blooming with all the Space-related Marvel characters because all the interesting powers like "run really fast" and "flying" were already taken so they had to fall back on poo poo like "he shoot beams of Cosmic Power"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
at least cyclops has to look like a dork all the time to shoot energy beams

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

at least cyclops has to look like a dork all the time to shoot energy beams

god there should be a Cyclops VR game, itd be perfect except everyone thinks he's a loser dweeb cuck (because thats how he's written)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I haven't read that many actual comics outside of Batman stuff and the original Spider-Man run, my dad bought me the 1st Spider-Man omnibus as a kid and I read those a ton - there was definitely no shooting beams of colored light at each other for the webhead then

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm glad he's found a nice third act for himself in life playing "hardheaded southern buffoon" characters

he's also been fun playing a fascist's wet dream in S. Craig Zahler movies

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

patty jenkins can't direct action to save her loving life why would they give her a Star Wars movie

why do you hate women

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't read that many actual comics outside of Batman stuff and the original Spider-Man run, my dad bought me the 1st Spider-Man omnibus as a kid and I read those a ton - there was definitely no shooting beams of colored light at each other for the webhead then

yeah im going to go with marvel stole it from toryama. i really noticed it in the last episode of wandavision, a show that was great until they had to tie it back into the MCU and it ended with a classic dragonball the beam of light makes it to the good guy until she remembers her fake family then her beam suddenly gets huge and she wins

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Al! posted:

god there should be a Cyclops VR game, itd be perfect except everyone thinks he's a loser dweeb cuck (because thats how he's written)

in New X Men he does the cucking

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

yeah im going to go with marvel stole it from toryama. i really noticed it in the last episode of wandavision, a show that was great until they had to tie it back into the MCU and it ended with a classic dragonball the beam of light makes it to the good guy until she remembers her fake family then her beam suddenly gets huge and she wins

most probably yeah, as far as using it as a lazy visual storytelling technique

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So why's it epic when Dragonball does it. What part of the sauce are they missing.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Yeah, he was great in Eastbound and Down

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk man comics on either side of the pacific had a strict schedule and page count to adhere to. it's probably a matter of parallel problem solving to think " I can draw one guy standing like this pretty quickly so if he's just doing something visually boring nonstop I can fart out a bunch of text and get to 8 pages by Friday"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

In Training posted:

So why's it epic when Dragonball does it. What part of the sauce are they missing.

They removed a lot of the filler in the recut, Dragon Ball Z Kai, and it is much better for it

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

In Training posted:

akira toriyama embraced the light of islam

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

In Training posted:

honestly? it's the yelling

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In Training posted:

probably it being 30 years ago is my guess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Al! posted:

Probably. That poo poo is awesome. Especially when they do stuff like the Family Kamehama and you got 3 generations of Gokus flipping out. How can you not get hype.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I thought the first Wonder Woman movie was pretty good up until the bit where she suddenly discarded being clever and resourceful to solve problems, and instead just having the exact same powers as The Incredible Hulk to solve problems.

I haven't seen the second one yet but it sounded like one of those "so bad its fun" movies.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Al! posted:

yeah. also the Goku/Vegeta rivalry even though they're on the same side 90% of the time gives everything more stakes because they're doing whatever they're doing on-screen plus trying to flex on the other one

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9UFvHmq14Y

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
It's also just a matter of being the first people to really do it. It was entertaining when I first saw it as a child but I've been watching people rip that style of fantasy fighting for 20 years now and it's just no longer that interesting, to me, to see a red beam hit a blue beam and then have them jockey for position for a bit until one overpowers the other. The way that Legion handles the encounters between Psychic mutants in the second and third season is vastly more visually interesting to me (i use this example because the first season, after killing it wrt this kind of stuff for must of the episodes, ends with two characters yelling and running at each other while engulfed in energy and it was wildly disappointing to me)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
all that being said, if i could shoot beams of colored light out of my hands, i would

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

god they do the yelling while covered in ki fire and running at each other too. theres an argument to be made that the marvel movies are so popular because they introduced a bunch of anime tropes to a new generation

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

In Training posted:

its badass, the others are too woke

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's also just a matter of being the first people to really do it. It was entertaining when I first saw it as a child but I've been watching people rip that style of fantasy fighting for 20 years now and it's just no longer that interesting, to me, to see a red beam hit a blue beam and then have them jockey for position for a bit until one overpowers the other. The way that Legion handles the encounters between Psychic mutants in the second and third season is vastly more visually interesting to me (i use this example because the first season, after killing it wrt this kind of stuff for must of the episodes, ends with two characters yelling and running at each other while engulfed in energy and it was wildly disappointing to me)

the podcast ballin' out super had a rating system that went up a whole point if there was a beam in the episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005