Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

WhatEvil posted:

Maybe this has already been posted ITT but in response to somebody posting "How should I learn?!" I thought this was a very good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZndya05yg

It goes into some depth about how to learn to set you up for success in the higher ranks. You *can* just learn flowcharts or learn some character gimmick and combo or whatever and that might get you up to low red ranks, but then you're gonna have to relearn a bunch of poo poo because that's about when people start actually adapting to your bullshit and you can't get away with just flowcharting into the same moves every time etc.

Learning fundamentals is good. I was able to move from Garyu to Tenryu just recently, and I also beat a friend who's a Mighty Ruler recently only using Jack's B+1+2 because I've learned timing, blocking and movement way better than I did before.

Re: Combos. Honestly, I'm about to move into Mighty Ruler myself and I still don't really launch big combos. It's something I need to learn - when I can get launchers off, and the combos to go with them. I pretty much know one combo that gets 49 damage and it only works with one launcher, and even then I barely use it.
<snip>

It Was A Good Post.™

To follow up from that, once you do have 'a combo' make sure you know all the routes to it. With Jun, I've got one entirely muscle memoried sequence I can do on reaction - b43, b21b1, ff2f2. I can do that whenever, wherever, and whilst it's not OpTiMaL for if I need to hit the Big Boy ranks, it's good enough whilst I languish in Red being matched against my Purple betters. What I concentrate on now is all the routes that start it, which there are actually multiples of.... f2, df2, CH df4, CH FC2 WR3, 1222, etc. Be able to flick over to that muscle memory when the random CH you weren't expecting gets given to you. If nothing else, the combo gives you safe clock time to consider the broader arena - How we doing on life? Time? How's the wall carry looking? Does my opponent love to launch? Throw? Low? What have I messed up here during the round?

That, I think, is the secret Git Gud sauce - Getting your reactions to be unconsciously competent, so you can free up your conscious brain to play strategy, not tactics.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shockeh posted:

It Was A Good Post.™

To follow up from that, once you do have 'a combo' make sure you know all the routes to it. With Jun, I've got one entirely muscle memoried sequence I can do on reaction - b43, b21b1, ff2f2. I can do that whenever, wherever, and whilst it's not OpTiMaL for if I need to hit the Big Boy ranks, it's good enough whilst I languish in Red being matched against my Purple betters. What I concentrate on now is all the routes that start it, which there are actually multiples of.... f2, df2, CH df4, CH FC2 WR3, 1222, etc. Be able to flick over to that muscle memory when the random CH you weren't expecting gets given to you. If nothing else, the combo gives you safe clock time to consider the broader arena - How we doing on life? Time? How's the wall carry looking? Does my opponent love to launch? Throw? Low? What have I messed up here during the round?

That, I think, is the secret Git Gud sauce - Getting your reactions to be unconsciously competent, so you can free up your conscious brain to play strategy, not tactics.

This is really good to have, I need to figure one out for Reina that works off all her starters

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

My go to Reina combo is ff2,3, df2, df1, f23f, 1+2 then wavedash into 1, 4 or 1,3 if I'm close to a wall. If you start it with a move that spins you can switch out the end for spinning 1, d,df,f 2 instead of 1+2 since the wave dash won't quite catch them. Note that the f2,3f into 1+2 needs to be done late, and the wavedash needs to be deep to get it to all connect.

The other Reina combo I use if I'm too close to a wall, or it's a weird setup like after a wr4 pickup is f23(no f for stance), df1, f23f, 1+2 or 1,d,df,f2. Depending on the setup you might want to start it out with a df2, df1.

After the last update I've been getting the dreaded UEPolaris crash constantly. I guess they know about it and are trying to fix it but it's pretty annoying to have the game randomly crash during matches. I assume stuff like this is why they're too scared to punish plugging. There are a bunch of claimed fixes online but none of them seem to work, and it's hard to test because of how intermittent it is.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 13, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Dear every Reina. I can punish your stupid headbutt, stop doing it.

The funny bit is, I have no idea if it's even meant to be punishable, but they sure love pressing slow buttons after it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Shockeh posted:

Dear every Reina. I can punish your stupid headbutt, stop doing it.

The funny bit is, I have no idea if it's even meant to be punishable, but they sure love pressing slow buttons after it.

The headbutt is -14 so yeah it's just Actually Punishable and as a Bryan I enjoy it when they press that button very much.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Conversely, if someone could rewire my brain to catch Jin's stupid low claw swipe (d+2) that CH launches for 50%, that'd be great. I can't convince myself to block it, and whenever I do by chance, despite being -14, I miss the window to punish it.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'd say people only stopping being hit by the headbutt once I reached purple ranks, then I had to stop because yeah, -14. It was real satisfying hitting people with that headbutt. Hell I saw Anakin still doing the headbutt in high level matches and was wondering how the hell he's getting away with it.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I have a big paycheck coming in and am on the fence about getting a hitbox. It feels like an easy way to get a leg up but otoh I am an ~honorable player~ type hence the hesitation

simble
May 11, 2004

If it makes you feel better, you will be absolute poo poo with it to start. It’s not a magic bullet and takes practice just like anything else.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I adore my snackbox and leverless was the right play for me, but yeah, it takes time to get used to it.

If you’re still on the fence and playing on PC, try using keyboard for a few sessions and see if the idea of button = movement feels like something you can learn and get on board with, or not.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I pretty much just play on keyboard for my fightin' games; WASD for movement and numpad 4/5/1/2 for the face buttons. It's a bit of a curve versus either stick or d-pad but to me at least directional inputs are a *ton* more reliable done with fingers instead of thumb.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
a leverless is just a keyboard with a layout optimized for fighting games

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

For sure try out keyboard first and I'd recommend using asd/space to get used to the thumb for up.

If you like it and want better, you still don't need to buy a $300 kitsune or branded hitbox I got my Haute42 for $75 after tax shipped and the build quality is comparable to sticks I paid $200+ for in the past.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nice Van My Man posted:

I'd say people only stopping being hit by the headbutt once I reached purple ranks, then I had to stop because yeah, -14. It was real satisfying hitting people with that headbutt. Hell I saw Anakin still doing the headbutt in high level matches and was wondering how the hell he's getting away with it.

That bell curve meme of "this move will work" is really accurate.

I was watching TNS (Tampa Never Sleeps) yesterday and a Dragunov was tearing through the bracket, he took one round off one of the best Tekken NA players by just doing Dragunov's hatchet kick 5 times into a d2 lol

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My ghost went 3-0 on me just now before I managed to adapt and it was pretty neat.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

great big cardboard tube posted:

For sure try out keyboard first and I'd recommend using asd/space to get used to the thumb for up.

i recommend this too but i went with wef space over asd space to simulate how my finger placement would be angled on a leverless

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Lili's Matterhorn is that way. It shouldn't work as often as it does, but hoo boy if it's blocked say goodbye to your health bar

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I genuinely think picking Lili removes block from any back inputs.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
It's that 1%er privilege

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

More charts. I think this one bears out what we've all been experience, I know we're all tired of getting blown up by a certain character, just match after match of the same thing. Yes, of course I'm talking about Panda

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/1b5rivl/an_second_look_at_the_tekken_8_metagame_based_on/

The explanation for this is
1. this is the high tier chart and
2. A couple of the pros decided they wanted to max out a Panda. Given that no one plays Panda I wouldn't be surprised if the win rate consisted entirely of them.

The only other interesting thing was King is seeing a surge of use now that people are declaring him 'cheap'. Win rates are still basically the same, and I gotta say King may be annoying to fight but he doesn't actually seem to be doing gangbusters like Feng still is. Where's the Feng surge? Kuma is up there too. I think people just don't know the matchup very well, not that Kuma isn't solid. There's definitely a buff you get for playing less popular characters. Also the average rank has actually gone down, so I guess lots of people are still buying the game because you'd expect it to rise with inflation.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Shaheen #3 that's my boy!!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I think the funniest bit is the bottom end of that table, which is just mad as gently caress.

(Knee saying Jun is broken as gently caress, whilst she sits lower-mid in the All chart, and just off dead last in the Advanced is confusing, because even as a Jun player I kind of agree!)

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I assume the low win rates for characters like that is due to people picking them with the assumption they don't have to actually learn the character very well and expecting to mash buttons and get carried by a strong character

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Revins posted:

I assume the low win rates for characters like that is due to people picking them with the assumption they don't have to actually learn the character very well and expecting to mash buttons and get carried by a strong character

Yeah, and conversely some of the top end (Panda, Zafina, and to a lesser extent Shaheen) get by more on knowledge checks due to infrequent appearances; it’s not by coincidence that the three least used characters currently have the top three win percentages in higher ranks.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Shockeh posted:

I think the funniest bit is the bottom end of that table, which is just mad as gently caress.

(Knee saying Jun is broken as gently caress, whilst she sits lower-mid in the All chart, and just off dead last in the Advanced is confusing, because even as a Jun player I kind of agree!)

Someone pointed out, which is true, there's advanced tekken, then there's pro level tekken. Knee, Arslan and others have also said Xiaoyu is strong despite her not having a good winrate on that chart.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Seltzer posted:

Someone pointed out, which is true, there's advanced tekken, then there's pro level tekken. Knee, Arslan and others have also said Xiaoyu is strong despite her not having a good winrate on that chart.

Sure, and I don't disagree conceptually, but even if that's true, and she flips completely once we hit Pro Level Tekken, that in itself is a really interesting line of enquiry. To have a character's success curve be an absolute crash landing until the 1%, where they suddenly skyrocket? (At least, theoretically?) That's really strange data.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Sure, and I don't disagree conceptually, but even if that's true, and she flips completely once we hit Pro Level Tekken, that in itself is a really interesting line of enquiry. To have a character's success curve be an absolute crash landing until the 1%, where they suddenly skyrocket? (At least, theoretically?) That's really strange data.

That's just how fighting game tier lists end up. Pros are so much better and that chart consists of Mighty Ruler and higher on netplay. They used to even have separate Tournament tier lists and Deathmatch (long sets) tier lists.

Take all charts and even Pro tier lists with a grain of salt especially this early.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shockeh posted:

That's exactly how tekken has worked for a very, very long time. Lucky Chloe was an unstoppable monster right up until the point where people learn how to counter her cali roll and db 44 spam, at which point she was no longer competitive at all. 8 is better in that there isn't really a character with the same combination of knowledge checks with huge rewards + terrible fundamental toolkit, but it's still absolutely a thing that happens.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Per Character win rates are basically worthless in all FGs because there’s so, so many random factors that change the data drastically.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

With my job I don't get much time to play, pros have all day to learn every nuance of their characters

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Exposure to characters is a huge factor in winrates. I'm still a scrub but I'm ready to duck and launch punish reina's ff2-3, or victor's 2 spam into gunshot if my opponent goes full flowchart.
If I see a Zafina I just have to guess the whole time, guess which one I'm going to win more against?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Also not to sound like a gatekeeper or something but purples isn't that high. I'd rather see win rates from blues onwards. Either way once tournaments start rolling in earnest it'll give a better idea of tiers. I remember the advice that if you want to know who is top tier after a patch just checkout who chikurin is playing lol.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Woo. Made it to Mighty Ruler. Still can't do launchers or combos.

I bet I'd be *really* dangerous if I learned that poo poo.

Anybody got any pointers to learn when I can get launchers off?

Seltzer posted:

Also not to sound like a gatekeeper or something but purples isn't that high.

Yeah that's fair. The ranked percentile analysis somebody posted on Reddit a few weeks ago said that Mighty Ruler is in the top 10-15% of ranked players. IDK if that's changed in the last 3 weeks.

So it's high-ish but not like, tournament level players.

E: Rank distribution/percentiles analysis: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/1b0h1b7/tekken_8_ranked_percentiles_february_2024/

So Blue ranks (Fujin) is like top 4% of players, if you only analyze players at Warrior and above.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 15, 2024

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

WhatEvil posted:

Anybody got any pointers to learn when I can get launchers off?

Generally moves that are -15 or worse are launchable by most of the cast, and on whiff you can launch them. So get a feel for your character's fastest launcher and then maybe go down the list of the cast and find their big stupid moves that are hella punishable and keep a specific eye out for those and over time you can build on that and have a good grasp on what move is how punishable. Some general ones, if you block a low and their model staggers and goes "errg" and their leg gets stuck against your low block, you can launch that. The Mishima 112 is launch punishable and you shouldn't let them get away with it. Most attacks where they bash you with a shoulder is launch punishable (not Kings, because King is God's perfect special boy).

Also get a feel for a launcher that has a bit of range to it so if they are standing a bit farther away and use a move that has forward momentum but they don't get quite close enough and whiff you can launch it. Bryan's f4,1, Nina's uf2,1, etc. long range Death Sandwich moves like that. A lot of hopkicks also have decent range, unless your name is Feng Wei but he has f3,4 for ranged launching anyways.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
yeah I don't know how it is up in your purple ranks but "string that's +0 on block or better into backdash" is whiff punish launcher city, Leroy's db1,3 or df3,1 are both 0 on block and I kill people for free so often just stepping or backdashing after those and launching, the pubbies yearn to press. db1,3 is especially nice as it's a counterhit launcher if people wanna mash.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Please ranked I beg of you, don't match me up with people 80000 points above me let me test stuff among people around my skill level please

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

That's a tough one, I get your feeling but also that guy probably doesn't want to have to try out his alts matching up with people as good with their character as he is with his main. I know I don't.

If he's just that good that alt will fly out of your rank fast, and if it was done off prowess alone and he's not great with his new alt he'd be stuck feeling like poo poo demoting constantly until it balances out.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Every character I haven't played as has been auto-leveled to garyu, which seems reasonably fair. I would go 0-1000 if I had to try to pick up a new character that I can't play at all at blue ranks, but at garyu, while I should be able to rank up just by feasting on people still learning the basics, I'll definitely drop some sets to lower ranked players who are already comfortable with their character. I dunno if any game has a way to ensure that higher-ranked players' secondary characters only match up with others that are in the same boat.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Artelier posted:

Please ranked I beg of you, don't match me up with people 80000 points above me let me test stuff among people around my skill level please

Change your settings to only match you within +-2 ranks. You'll avoid that issue and gain more points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Change your settings to only match you within +-2 ranks. You'll avoid that issue and gain more points.

Shinryu is already within 2 ranks of eliminator.