Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

McMeltdown, hilarious.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/15/lifestyle/mcmeltdown-mcdonalds-hit-by-global-it-outage/

Bad day for a Whopper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Elem7 posted:

Don't know that I'd describe it as a documentation tool but if you just need a better solution for taking screenshots and then doing basic manipulation, for free, which is what it sounds like Token needs, give GreenShot a look. Also Powerpoint has some in-built functions for that and screen recording a lot of people seem to not know/forget about.

I am personally deathly afraid of powerpoint. Not because of the software, but because I've seen what some users do with it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

But, we get decent benefits I guess. I personally get more PTO then I know what to do with, but that is a me problem.

How much is to much? Because Im at 5 weeks and I feel like I could use another 5 weeks.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Elem7 posted:

Don't know that I'd describe it as a documentation tool but if you just need a better solution for taking screenshots and then doing basic manipulation, for free, which is what it sounds like Token needs, give GreenShot a look. Also Powerpoint has some in-built functions for that and screen recording a lot of people seem to not know/forget about.

my boss has vetoed any solution, paid or free, because "paint is good enough"

there's a reason most of my posting ITT is complaining about my boss

(apologies if it's annoying or getting old, you've all been wonderful people)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Rumblings of RTO at my newish job (been here roughly 10 months now).

My direct boss is not interested in RTO but he does want me to commit to a single day on-site to hopefully ward off further RTO...

We'll see how it goes, updating resume this weekend.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In the office every day this week installing a netapp and new cisco switch fml

But now I can put Netapp on my resume due to my googling skills.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Potato Salad posted:

I feel your pain there, it sucks but if you actually have a compliance need for this, the pain goes away after a couple of weeks

it's like SEL: once you have a good profile, you can just kind of let it chug & shrug along :shrug:

if they're actually serious about it, you're going to need a good cloud infrastructure resolver

her plan is to just make me tell users not to go to unapproved websites*, again, and expect things to change.

* no there is no approved list, why do you ask?

Umbreon posted:

e: ignore, I'm running on about 2 hours of sleep and didnt realize tokin was joking

lol condolences, as weird as it is for me to say, I think everyone else in my department is too old to be a goon

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, finance is nice in that they generally understand the value of spending money, and are okay with long project timelines. If you can stand the red tape, documentation, and auditing it's not a bad place to have a gig.

applied to a few credit unions around here, thanks for the endorsement

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Elem7 posted:

Greenshot is what I use when making documentation. Great for simple markup. I did look at a purpose-built documentation platform that will take screenshots or video clips of actions and automatically build a wiki page and publish it. Can't remember what it was called, didn't go that route because greenshot and confluence exist

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

my boss has vetoed any solution, paid or free, because "paint is good enough"

there's a reason most of my posting ITT is complaining about my boss

(apologies if it's annoying or getting old, you've all been wonderful people)

Just download ShareX or whatever and if they ask why your documentation pictures look so good just say you got really good with paint

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Seconding Greenshot, it makes explaining things with screenshots much more clear thanks to being able to draw circles and arrows.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
i spun up an ubuntu vm and threw bookstack on it, it's been pretty nice, and it lets me touch a little bit of linux here and there

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While Greenshot is nice, step recorder is built into windows and is purpose built for process documentation.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Bad news about Steps Recorder https://prod.support.services.micro...native%20tools.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sort of made sense because it created files that wouldn't open with images displaying in a modern browser

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

inchworm posted:

i spun up an ubuntu vm and threw bookstack on it, it's been pretty nice, and it lets me touch a little bit of linux here and there

Post/username

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Might I recommend a Gentoo-based approach...?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BGP or DNS. Gotta be

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gangtag represent

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

tokin opposition posted:

applied to a few credit unions around here, thanks for the endorsement

A word of caution: I've directly seen a pretty big difference between "big" finance (a huge multinational insurance/retirement planning enterprise, ~$1T AUM) and "little" finance (a local/regional credit union with ~50 branches all within ~2 hours driving distance, ~$2b AUM). Strong salary, slow pace, more meetings than work are all more common in "big" finance.

My time at the credit union was a small step back in terms of salary, and far more technical work than paperwork. I'd say the overall work pace is a function of the size of the network/headcount.

I definitely enjoyed my time at the credit union, but hit the ceiling on what I could learn and how much I could earn without going into a management role that wasn't vacant.

Nothing I've said should dissuade you from joining a CU. I learned a lot, accomplished some really shiny resume candy (because of the pandemic and having to close all those branch lobbies), and worked with some really great, smart people. And flipping burgers would be a step up from your current disaster so GTFO ASAP.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That sucks but it never quite worked right. And :lol: at the Xbox Game Bar recommendation as an alternative.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Multinationals vs superlocal companies

Related: that's one of the coolest things about IT/computers. Everybody needs them, and everybody needs someone to make them work.

Over the last two decades I've worked for architects, manufacturers, big/global finance, little/local finance, and retail. Before that I did some time in an MSP and supported a hundred small businesses like doctors, lawyers, plumbers, electricians, marinas, mechanics, and all the other little shops that make a city work.

Sure, I haven't worked in a FAANG-level company. But I've gotten to go behind the scenes at a zoo. I've made a real difference by recovering important family photos from a dropped laptop. I've touched some wild industrial/engineering machinery because while the engineer running is knows tons about steel and concrete, her testing doohickey is reeeaaaal particular about which serial/usb converters it'll work with.

We gripe about bad bosses and dumb processes, but we get to do and support so many cool things too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Umbreon posted:

It's been two months since I've started this job at <BANK>. I still haven't worked a single ticket, my training still isn't even *defined* anywhere, much less complete, and I only actually receive any training from someone for an hour or two around once a week, twice if I'm lucky. The rest of the time I'm just being paid to sit there.

I get that they're too understaffed to spare anyone to train me, but this still feels so incredibly wrong and I've been desperately looking for any training material I have access to. I found a 40 page document labeled "Basic ticket handling steps" which I've been using to keep myself busy, but it's outdated as hell and missing a ton.

Dumb question:

Is it possible for a company to hire someone for an understaffed team but have to let that person go because they literally can't spare anyone to train the new guy?

LOL. Not surprised at all.

I wouldn't worry about being let go. Headcount is hard to come by and managers are always reluctant to give it up. Check the banks severance policy, we pay out a year salary if we let you go.

The only thing I would advise is to take advantage of any sort of internal training or learning systems you may find yourself with access to. Like Udemy or something. If someone happens to ask you what you did that week, just pad what you actually did with some training course in the system or whatever.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Umbreon posted:

It's been two months since I've started this job at <BANK>. I still haven't worked a single ticket, my training still isn't even *defined* anywhere, much less complete, and I only actually receive any training from someone for an hour or two around once a week, twice if I'm lucky. The rest of the time I'm just being paid to sit there.

I get that they're too understaffed to spare anyone to train me, but this still feels so incredibly wrong and I've been desperately looking for any training material I have access to. I found a 40 page document labeled "Basic ticket handling steps" which I've been using to keep myself busy, but it's outdated as hell and missing a ton.

Dumb question:

Is it possible for a company to hire someone for an understaffed team but have to let that person go because they literally can't spare anyone to train the new guy?

I would also say that being proactive is better than being reactive. If you want to learn something put a meeting request on team members calenders and ask for stuff. Don't go to the same person rather tap everyone on the shoulder for even a 15 minute chat about some aspect of the job. Also talk to your manager and let him know that you are looking for guidance on the next step.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

But I've gotten to go behind the scenes at a zoo.

That sounds cool. I’ve only worked at circuses.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So I'm reading up on Chaos Monkey as part of my 'Journey to SRE'.

For those that don't know, Chaos Monkey is a application developed by Netflix to test the resiliency of their AWS infrastructure. They do this by causing random outages in production during production hours and seeing how their systems route around that error. From small things like shutting down access to S3 buckets and killing EC2 nodes to large things like nuking entire availability zones and regions.

I would have looooooved to have been on a fly on the wall in the meeting when they tried to sell that to their management.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My boss told me to start printing out pages in the document I am working on that I have altered, so I can keep track of what I have changed he says. Thanks for the micro-management. I told him it was pointless, if he wants me to print pages I've worked on I was just gonna leave them in the printer and not even collect them, because I can't and won't be organizing any papers like it was a 1970s office. There are built in functions in Word to keep track of changes, even if you don't have it enables you can do an automatic compare on an older version.

But paper is *real*

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Cimber posted:

So I'm reading up on Chaos Monkey as part of my 'Journey to SRE'.

For those that don't know, Chaos Monkey is a application developed by Netflix to test the resiliency of their AWS infrastructure. They do this by causing random outages in production during production hours and seeing how their systems route around that error. From small things like shutting down access to S3 buckets and killing EC2 nodes to large things like nuking entire availability zones and regions.

I would have looooooved to have been on a fly on the wall in the meeting when they tried to sell that to their management.

I assume it came out of a COE back when AWS was having us-east-1 go down every 6 months. My team has talked about doing this for our infrastructure but haven't gotten around to it. I figure us-east-1 will go down in some really interesting way in the future and we'll learn something new. For example, technically most of our primary infrastructure is in us-west-2 but it's an old install and used the global STS endpoint in us-east-1. Found all of our us-west-2 infrastructure couldn't assume roles to get to buckets because we didn't set a ENVVAR to use the regional STS endpoint.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Got my vacation approved. Two weeks around Easter.

I have no plans, so I think for one week I'll just play games and shovel food into my gaping maw.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Welp, it's a temporary layoff then.

The company doesn't even have the balls to really lay off people.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Asteroid Alert posted:

I'm slowly being eaten from the inside.

I switched 2 years ago from an inhouse position into a small boutique consultancy (SaaS-sector). The consultancy was recommended by a colleague who had worked with them in the past. Thought that this would be a small little detour to skill up and learn new things.

Things were ok until last summer when suddenly projects dried up and I found myself spending time on the bench. My compensation is based on base + billed hours, so I was making a lot less than I used to. I also ended up getting hosed on payroll by my manager one month, which didn't really make me happy. Then the company was asking us to work reduced hours due to the poor financial situation, talk to your manager about the possibility. I didn't have the chance to discuss this, since my manager was away for over a month. The next time we met, I was told I was temporary laid-off (furloughed) for 2 months. Didn't feel nice.

I did apply for new jobs during that time, but that didn't work out. Other consultancies are hard to jump into, since I have a 3 month non-compete and 1 month notice period.

Now I'm doing small projects here and there, got moved to a new team, but no new projects have been coming my way since the move. Someone might think that this is a good thing and that I should enjoy it. The problem is that I need to mark my hours, including time on the bench. This stresses me out as management can see my unproductive hours.

The situation is partly to blame for the poor sales resources of the company. One person has been doing it on their own alongside their top management duties leading to friction in the funnel. Now they want us to come in once a month to do sales the whole. This is being presented as mandatory, with no client work to be done and you need to be present at the office.

How can I continue working at this company?

Asteroid Alert posted:

Condolences, sounds like a super lovely situation all around. I don't know what the gently caress a temporary layoff is, but it sounds like it's time to find a new job. Easier said than done right now, but I can't see any way that trying to navigate whatever bullshit this is is a good idea.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Asteroid Alert posted:

File for unemployment, find a new job.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cimber posted:

BGP or DNS. Gotta be

If it was actually a “server crash” it’s going to be something hilarious, like some kind of ancient legacy system that everything else references for critical information and the whole entire thing falls over when it dies.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Internet Explorer posted:

Condolences, sounds like a super lovely situation all around. I don't know what the gently caress a temporary layoff is, but it sounds like it's time to find a new job. Easier said than done right now, but I can't see any way that trying to navigate whatever bullshit this is is a good idea.

Temporary layoff (the wording they used) a.k.a furloughed. I'm basically still on the payroll for 2 weeks (and required to do work), after which I'm officially on unemployment and out until further notice. I can be called back, but until that time (IF they ever call me back) I'm allowed to pursue other work and have a 1 day notice period should I wish to quit. I had the same thing going late last year, but that was only for 2 months. Now the time period is "until further notice", which in legal sense, could also be used to lay people off. But they don't want to since that'll cost them.

The lovely part is that I'm still being asked (forced) to go do that mandatory sales day thingie.

mllaneza posted:

Already did, already have a 2nd round interview for next week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If it was actually a “server crash” it’s going to be something hilarious, like some kind of ancient legacy system that everything else references for critical information and the whole entire thing falls over when it dies.

The McDonald's mobile app is easily the worst one in existence out of all the large fast food chains, so I can believe they're running some old legacy crap because "it works for us".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Asteroid Alert posted:

Already did, already have a 2nd round interview for next week.

Define "forced".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

The McDonald's mobile app is easily the worst one in existence out of all the large fast food chains, so I can believe they're running some old legacy crap because "it works for us".

That’s funny, I’ve never had a problem with their app and it’s always been my favorite because it has the best deals.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Asteroid Alert posted:

mllaneza posted:

Do this. Get the gently caress out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Define "forced".

Right? Please, unless they are paying you a big chunk of severance, move on with your life.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm not getting any severance.

If I quit of my own volition, I'd have to seriously prove that it was for due cause. Otherwise I risk losing unemployment benefits for a fair few months.

Since there's the 2 week notice period before my time begins, I'm still required to do things my employer defines as per by my contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Antigravitas posted:

Got my vacation approved. Two weeks around Easter.

I have no plans, so I think for one week I'll just play games and shovel food into my gaping maw.

As someone who travels A LOT (not for work), I will tell you that often times the vacations where you do very little can be some of the best.

The nickname given to me at work is "jet set" because of how much I travel, but with as much plane hopping as I do I still enjoy the hell out of a week of just not working.