Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

theres a danish channel that has or used to have a program called "dad rock" and it was like system of a down lmao

and not even sugar, but toxicity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
looking forward to Turner Classic Movies hosting the old Pizza Matrix video

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

theres a danish channel that has or used to have a program called "dad rock" and it was like system of a down lmao

and not even sugar, but toxicity

CLASSIC ROCK, 102.5 THE ROCK, PLAYING ALL YOUR FAVORITE CLASSIC ROCK HITS, FROM PINK FLOYD TO SEETHER

UP NEXT, ALIEN ANT FARM

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
was idly thinking of seeing nickelback this summer lol. they’re headlining one night of our summer music festival

neil young is headlining the saturday night and i sort of feel like i should go see him before it’s too late lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i saw nickelback live once. in 2001 everclear came to my hometown. we didn't get concerts, like, ever so i went with some friends. nickelback opened for them and no one knew who they were.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

i saw nickelback live once. in 2001 everclear came to my hometown. we didn't get concerts, like, ever so i went with some friends. nickelback opened for them and no one knew who they were.

this is just making me think of all the fall out boy fans who were looking around like "who the gently caress are these guys?" when jimmy eat world opened for them this past monday. while i went specifically to see jimmy eat world, i have to admit it was pretty loving funny that basically no one recognized them or knew who they were until they closed their set with "the middle"

Jim Adkins posted:

I hope y'all have at least this much energy when Fall Out Boy comes out here.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

this is just making me think of all the fall out boy fans who were looking around like "who the gently caress are these guys?" when jimmy eat world opened for them this past monday. while i went specifically to see jimmy eat world, i have to admit it was pretty loving funny that basically no one recognized them or knew who they were until they closed their set with "the middle"

i could imagine people not knowing their songs to sing but it seems weird for a fall out boy fan not to be familar with jimmy eat world

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Elder Postsman posted:

they still played a few rage against the machine covers back then.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mr. Nice! posted:

i don't want to listen to imagine dragons.

I haven’t heard the level of pure suck produced by Imagine Dragons since goddamn Butterfly by Crazytown back in uhhh 2002?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

axolotl farmer posted:

I haven’t heard the level of pure suck produced by Imagine Dragons since goddamn Butterfly by Crazytown back in uhhh 2002?

wait are they the same band? lmao

kom min dame, kom kom min dame
du' min sommerfugl; sukker, spædbarn

also i thought imagine dragons was like some kind of guitar noodle glam metal for ages but iirc theyre more electronic? idk

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait are they the same band? lmao

also i thought imagine dragons was like some kind of guitar noodle glam metal for ages but iirc theyre more electronic? idk

what they are, op, is bad.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you might say they're radioactive

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Carthag Tuek posted:

are you choking on something?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Butterfly by crazy town is one of the most mystifying tracks/videos I've ever seen, it's like it was made of bits left over from other tracks/bands

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
What pisses me off about the music of my youth becoming classic rock:

When I was a teen the loving radio would be like:

quote:

DEEP VOICE:This is W-LEAST-lovely-STATION music (several short bites of actual good music)

Then the sequence would repeat with bites of more good music.

quote:

AND NOW FOR ANOTHER 2 HOUR LONG BLOCK OF W-LEAST-lovely-MUSIC

then for the next two hours they'd play nothing but garbage everyone has forgotten about today.

Now there are so many places to hear that poo poo. Like maybe you fucks wouldn't have gone into bankruptcy if you actually played Nirvana in the loving 90s you dicks. Why are so many memories of my 1995 set to Local H and not Nine Inch Nails?

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 15, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kernel Sanders posted:

are you choking on something?

no its just a thing we did back then, translating the words directly to danish so it sounds funnier. like literally sugar, and literally a baby child.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh man i used to listen to you high fivin' motherfucker a lot, rofl

but to be serious, p sure they got paid to play the garbage in order to press sales. theres no need to pay the stations to play the songs that were already hits, they were already selling. sorry, my 90s conspiracy brain flared up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
local h was awesome as a guitar nerd cause dude had a crazy guitar setup that he split through a bass and a guitar amp hell yeah

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Mr. Nice! posted:

they still played a few rage against the machine covers back then.

i definitely remember they played a cover of soul coughing super bon bon

the only local h song i've heard (and have in my library) is their cover of toxic lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh man i used to listen to you high fivin' motherfucker a lot, rofl

but to be serious, p sure they got paid to play the garbage in order to press sales. theres no need to pay the stations to play the songs that were already hits, they were already selling. sorry, my 90s conspiracy brain flared up

Young Person: Man it must have been sick to be a teen in the 90s. You had music like (great bands) dropping like every day and MTV was playing actual music videos!

Me: No you had to pay $18.99 to hear good music and wait for the videos to play on public access.

YP: What's public access?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’m aware of public access as a general concept. was it actually like used and watched

cable wasn’t a thing at home

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Internet Old One posted:

Young Person: Man it must have been sick to be a teen in the 90s. You had music like (great bands) dropping like every day and MTV was playing actual music videos!

Me: No you had to pay $18.99 to hear good music and wait for the videos to play on public access.

YP: What's public access?

lmbo at mtv playing music videos. vh1 kept that up for a good while tho, at least until early 00s

also lmao i forgot this "you got no taste in music and you really love our band"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGWpRxnyeGg

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mediaphage posted:

i’m aware of public access as a general concept. was it actually like used and watched

cable wasn’t a thing at home

here’s a good austin 80s local access show: carmen’s banana cooking. plot: a drag queen gets drunk while cooking a banana themed dish.

the whole thing is on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8W3QPG98Ss

playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-toSboKBCLhfB3miLQ58Ydk-G5pcWxzh&si=Ie1zOXSUJ7XIJOwD

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jesus i cannot imagine that being available content in the 80s

mind blowing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rofl peeling the banana back

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
part of the reason radio has sucked for a long time is because fundamentalist christians have been in charge of what music hits the airwaves.

their censorship is nuts and the control they exert over the airwaves is massive. compare how little censoring there is on 70s and 80s songs compared to 90s+

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mr. Nice! posted:

part of the reason radio has sucked for a long time is because fundamentalist christians have been in charge of what music hits the airwaves.

their censorship is nuts and the control they exert over the airwaves is massive. compare how little censoring there is on 70s and 80s songs compared to 90s+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fam5wRXcoQE

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

frank was right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
al gore's wife was one of the big spearheads of modern music censorship in the mid 80s while he was a senator. back when dee snyder was cool he ripped into him during a senate hearing in a thoughtful and eloquent way. do not look up what dee snyder is in to in 2024 trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Vyr1TylTE

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

that's really weird to me, i don't really understand how someone could know fall out boy and not jimmy eat world. this comes from someone who does not like that kind of music really at all with the rare exception of stuff that hits me in the nostalgia

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

mediaphage posted:

jesus i cannot imagine that being available content in the 80s

mind blowing

Public access television was part of cable television's deal with the government in order to exist. I don't think it exactly panned out as envisioned.

Mostly it was an Amiga showing a video toasterized side deck like some sort of EGA powerpoint. But the deal is getting a show has to be an attainable thing for the general public. Mostly this meant boring people could crank out unwatchable poo poo.

But depending on where you lived there could be between 0 and a dozen absolute loving gems of content the likes of which you might not even get on Youtube today. Sometimes there would be some lunatic making a fool of himself, sometimes comedy shows, psychedelic nonsense, music video shows, the weirdest loving talk shows. Literally the loving sky was the limit.

Even in the absolutely medium, average, and uninteresting city of my youth there was just a bit of extremely off the wall and interesting poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mr. Nice! posted:

frank was right.

yep. btw the full segment is great (some 20 mins, in related) if any yall havent seen it

also jfc that goober they put him up against lol

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 15, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mr. Nice! posted:

al gore's wife was one of the big spearheads of modern music censorship in the mid 80s while he was a senator. back when dee snyder was cool he ripped into him during a senate hearing in a thoughtful and eloquent way. do not look up what dee snyder is in to in 2024 trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Vyr1TylTE

yeah dee snyder got boomer-brained

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

public access had a lot of stuff that was ahead of its time and where we also get :george:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

that's really weird to me, i don't really understand how someone could know fall out boy and not jimmy eat world. this comes from someone who does not like that kind of music really at all with the rare exception of stuff that hits me in the nostalgia

a lot of the crowed seemed more into fall out boy's newer stuff, like post-hiatus, which is more arena rock and pop-rock sounding stuff, which is less jimmy eat world's sound since they've tended to stay pretty close to their emo sounds from the late-90s and early-00s. it was really weird to me too while sitting in the middle of it. fall out boy would likely have never existed if not for the 90's wave of emo bands like jimmy eat world, sunny day real estate, the promise ring, texas is the reason, american football, etc., so having j.e.w. be a supporting band on the tour makes sense from that aspect, but fall out boy is definitely more in the my chemical romance subsection of emo than that earlier subsection

e: i guess should also be noted that a lot of the people in my seating area are like half my age, to which a friend told me that "well they did grow up listening to their parent's music" :corsair:

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 15, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LkVKCWL0U4

its so tru, cry ever time

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

it's funny how much billy joel loving hates both his and fall out boy's versions of that song

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Branch Nvidian posted:

it's funny how much billy joel loving hates both his and fall out boy's versions of that song

its a pretty bad song but idk the old one is fun for karaoke

also fall out boy doesnt mention the pandemic at all for soem reason[1]

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

a lot of the crowed seemed more into fall out boy's newer stuff, like post-hiatus, which is more arena rock and pop-rock sounding stuff, which is less jimmy eat world's sound since they've tended to stay pretty close to their emo sounds from the late-90s and early-00s. it was really weird to me too while sitting in the middle of it. fall out boy would likely have never existed if not for the 90's wave of emo bands like jimmy eat world, sunny day real estate, the promise ring, texas is the reason, american football, etc., so having j.e.w. be a supporting band on the tour makes sense from that aspect, but fall out boy is definitely more in the my chemical romance subsection of emo than that earlier subsection

e: i guess should also be noted that a lot of the people in my seating area are like half my age, to which a friend told me that "well they did grow up listening to their parent's music" :corsair:

the age thing is funny but like those singers are also still older than most people here i think, like weren't they all born in the 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah dee snyder got boomer-brained

It looks like Dee is tired of Trump's poo poo finally but considered him a friend once. Dude you were duped! Christ I don't get these celebrities who somehow have to deal with rich and powerful scumbags like media execs and never develop a radar for narcs and psychopaths.