Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Much like the health insurance industry, it would be good to cut out parasitic rent seeking bullshit jobs that serve to do nothing except extract dollars from people who have no choice. And maybe if you excise all those jobs from the economy, it's a good time to start looking at a UBI, or a way to translate those jobs into areas which can actually provide some value to the country and economy.

But lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

yronic heroism posted:

The economic theory will be that the market will dictate the price and the sellers will want to undercut each other rather than lose the sale, so their incentive is there to accept less on the sale price if they’re still pocketing the same amount as before.

In practice does this work the same with home sellers listing probably their most valuable asset as it does with groceries or other retail items sold at volume? Idk, ask an economist.

Yeah seems like that would be more likely if there wasn't a massive shortage of needed homes. If supply was where it should be I could see it but as is in most markets sellers don't need to undercut each other in order to not lose a sale.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The realtors aren't selling houses, they're selling the service of selling houses. The relevant point for how much realtor fees will stay up is not how much competition there is in the housing market, but rather how much competition there is in the selling houses market. Presuming that realtor fees are high because of a price fixing cartel, what should happen is that realtors will begin undercutting one another until the industry sheds enough jobs that competition stabilizes. The point at and speed with that occurs may vary greatly depending on local conditions.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
6% realtor fees holy loving lol. Yet another horrifying insight into the weird poo poo Americans tolerate.

In my country 1% is standard and the general opinion is that's too much for their stupid bullshit parasitic jobs

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Failed Imagineer posted:

6% realtor fees holy loving lol. Yet another horrifying insight into the weird poo poo Americans tolerate.

In my country 1% is standard and the general opinion is that's too much for their stupid bullshit parasitic jobs

*shrug* It is, but, like, what're you gonna do when everything everywhere at all times is that way? Only so many hours in a day for every individual to fight all of it. At some point you just kinda shrug and go along to get along. Don't get me wrong gently caress realtors, I hope it crushes them and takes that 6% down to a reasonable amount but, like, the health care industry is still there leeching away as just one big ticket example. Individuals can't do gently caress about poo poo to fix that, and our collective response as a country was the Affordable Care Act.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean what were we supposed to do, break out the guillotine for realtors? This is an example of us voting in the right people to appoint the right people to get something fixed. Went on way too long, sure, but I’ll take the W even if it’s later than it should be.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The FCC has just implemented new cable and internet pricing regulations.

Internet and TV providers must now provide the full cost to consumer for their internet packages that includes all taxes, fees, and other costs they will charge for the subscription. Advertising $39.99 and then tacking on $15 per month in additional fees and taxes is no longer allowed.

Additionally, the new definition for "high-speed" internet is now 100 mbps download speed. The previous definition was 25 mbps. Companies can no longer advertise "high-speed" internet if their speeds are lower than 100 mbps. Additionally, ISPs are now ineligible for any government grants or programs for providing high-speed internet unless they provide a minimum of 100 mbps download speeds to all of their customers.

https://twitter.com/FCC/status/1768332804775870975

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's been a long time coming. It's nuts that they were allowed to go so longb essentially straight-up lying about the cost.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Trump gets elected, will his FCC picks be able to undo this

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I cancelled my cable TV a while ago, but the absolute worst new thing was the secret "local sports fees" they were tacking on in addition to service fees, "infrastructure upgrade" fees, and taxes.

I think I agreed to a $69.99 internet and cable bill that ended up around $95 + the cable box rental fee that I can't even remember what they used to charge. It was around 33% higher than the advertised cost.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
DOJ please find a way to ban car dealerships next

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Make internet a utility imo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Trump gets elected, will his FCC picks be able to undo this

Yes. The blessing and curse of the administrative state.

I would have to assume that once this goes into effect they won't bother repealing it, but assuming anything about Trump has gotten me in trouble before, so who knows?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The FCC raised the broadband definition to the previous 25mbps number during the Obama administration, so presumably it survived the first Trump term already and the new definition will survive a hypothetical second

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

James Garfield posted:

No plans for that, unfortunately.

The FTC did do a similar pricing rule implementation for car dealerships last month called the CARS Rule.

quote:

What the CARS Rule Requires:

No Misrepresentations: The rule prohibits misrepresentations about key information, like price and cost.

Offering Price, Total Payment, and Add-Ons Optional: Dealers have to provide the offering price—the actual price any consumer can pay for the vehicle; tell consumers that optional add-ons (like extended warranties) are not required; and give information about the total payment when discussing monthly payments.

No Bogus Add-Ons: The rule prohibits dealers from charging for any add-on that does not provide a benefit to consumers. Examples of such add-ons include: warranty programs that duplicate a manufacturer’s warranty, service contracts for oil changes on an electric vehicle, GAP agreements that do not actually cover the car or neighborhood in which it is housed, or other parts of the deal, and software or audio subscription services on a vehicle that cannot support the software or subscription.

Get Consumers’ Consent: The rule requires dealers to get consumers’ express, informed consent for any charges that they pay as part of a vehicle purchase.

It also included a bunch of extra protections for service members who are frequently scammed by car dealerships:

quote:

The CARS Rule prohibits dealers from lying to servicemembers and other consumers about important cost and financing information, and about whether the dealers are affiliated with the military or any other governmental organization. They also are prohibited from lying about whether a vehicle can be moved out of state (which affects servicemembers and their families, who must frequently move to new duty stations) and whether a vehicle can be repossessed (there are laws that protect many servicemembers from having their vehicle repossessed).

CARS rule kicks in on July 30th, 2024.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2023/12/ftc-announces-cars-rule-fight-scams-vehicle-shopping

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's also kind of darkly hilarious that car dealerships lived up to their stereotype so much that the FTC had to go out of their way to specify that "selling service contracts for oil changes on an electric vehicle" is illegal.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Even if it wasn't their direct intention, wiping out a bunch of realtors actually strikes right into the heart of the American fascist movement. Maybe they can figure out something for car dealerships eventually because that would kick another leg out of their table.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I cancelled my cable TV a while ago, but the absolute worst new thing was the secret "local sports fees" they were tacking on in addition to service fees, "infrastructure upgrade" fees, and taxes.

I think I agreed to a $69.99 internet and cable bill that ended up around $95 + the cable box rental fee that I can't even remember what they used to charge. It was around 33% higher than the advertised cost.

Oh you mean the broadcast surcharge and sports surcharge? The ones that applied to everyone and you couldn't opt out of?

Trust me they are trying to find ways to push more. I used to work at a local cable company/ISP :)

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
Don't some realty companies like Redfin already cap commissions below market and pay an actual salary? I'm wondering if that's where the industry (and I use that term loosely) goes.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I didn't see this get discussed and it seems significant, Biden backed up Schumer's anti-Bibi rhetoric:

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden expressed support Friday for Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer after the senator called for new elections in Israel, the latest sign that the U.S. relationship with its closest Middle East ally is careening toward fracture over the war in Gaza.

Schumer, a Jewish Democrat from New York, sent tremors through both countries this week when he said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has “lost his way” and warned that “Israel cannot survive if it becomes a pariah” as Palestinian casualties continue to grow.

“He made a good speech,” Biden said in the Oval Office during a meeting with Ireland’s prime minister. “I think he expressed serious concerns shared not only by him but by many Americans.”

The Democratic president’s backing for Schumer could further frustrate Netanyahu, whose political party has already sharply criticized the U.S. senator.

“One would expect Sen. Schumer to respect Israel’s elected government and not undermine it,” Netanyahu’s political party Likud said in a statement. “This is always true, and even more so in wartime.”

Biden’s comments reflect the evolution of his views on the war, which began when Hamas attacked Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 Israelis. Since then, Israel’s counterattack has killed more than 30,000 Palestinians in Gaza.

After his State of the Union speech earlier this month, Biden said that he needed to have a “come to Jesus” conversation with Netanyahu. He also accused Netanyahu of “hurting Israel more than helping Israel” with his leadership of the war.

The latest challenge to the U.S.-Israeli relationship is Israel’s plan to pursue Hamas into Rafah, a city in southern Gaza where displaced Palestinians have gathered to avoid fighting in the north.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, speaking from Vienna, said “we have to see a clear and implementable plan” to safeguard civilians from an Israeli incursion.

“We have not seen such a plan,” he said.

But Blinken said tough conversations between allies do not mean the alliance is fracturing.

“That’s actually the strength of the relationship, to be able to speak clearly, candidly and directly,” he said.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally, middle east regime change we can all get behind

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
One thing I don't understand about the realtor thing is that weren't commissions already negotiable? When we sold our home a couple years ago, we negotiated with our agent for 5% to be split between buyer's and seller's agents. And we shopped that around and had offers from folks for as low as 3%.

I'm glad this is the way things are going, it makes way more sense for realtors to be paid a salary or hourly rate like other professional class-type jobs. But it seems contrary to my experience to say it was 6% take it or leave it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sub Par posted:

One thing I don't understand about the realtor thing is that weren't commissions already negotiable? When we sold our home a couple years ago, we negotiated with our agent for 5% to be split between buyer's and seller's agents. And we shopped that around and had offers from folks for as low as 3%.

I'm glad this is the way things are going, it makes way more sense for realtors to be paid a salary or hourly rate like other professional class-type jobs. But it seems contrary to my experience to say it was 6% take it or leave it.

The article says that the National Association of Realtors required its members to make 6% the standard (so buying and selling realtors would agree to that beforehand), but allow it to be negotiated if clients insisted.

About 85% of house sales involving NAR members had the 6% rate.

The DOJ argued that this was effectively price fixing and incentivized realtors to make sales more expensive for their clients. The settlement says they have to pay $1.8 billion in damages and end the practice of requiring 6% as a starting point because most people didn't insist on negotiating it (and the NAR realtors were required to start at 6%), so the 6% was effectively the default and final price for almost everyone who used a NAR realtor.

quote:

NAR had required homesellers to pay a set 6% commission that is typically split evenly between the seller’s agent and the buyer’s agent. Although the NAR said the commission was negotiable and helped make housing more affordable for buyers, critics have long argued that the fees were effectively set and made housing more expensive.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

James Garfield posted:

from what i recall hearing forever ago, used car dealerships are the backbone of trump's political and monetary support, so yeah wouldn't be surprised if they did look into them

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Craig K posted:

from what i recall hearing forever ago, used car dealerships are the backbone of trump's political and monetary support, so yeah wouldn't be surprised if they did look into them

There's another article on the subject I can't find at the moment, but this one was informative iirc
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/05/rich-republicans-party-car-dealers-2024-desantis.html

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I see, that makes sense.

I found the process of negotiating to be really interesting. By doing so, we got actual services from our agents (staging the house, etc.) In our market, there was fierce competition to represent sellers (during the pandemic) so I feel like we got a lot for our 5%. There was also a sliding scale where they would take a lower % (but keep the buyers side at 2.5%) if the house didn't sell for a certain amount.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unfortunately the vanguard of the fight against car dealerships right now is Tesla

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

James Garfield posted:

Do you want another Jan 6th? Because that's how you get another Jan 6th.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do you want another Jan 6th? Because that's how you get another Jan 6th.

if you ban car dealerships how will they afford to fly to washington? :v

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A bunch of sore loser swimmers are suing the NCAA because transwomen competing allegedly violates Title IX

cant wait for SCOTUS to declare transwomen are not women

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
So apparently the RNC is gonna be working with Scott Pressler

I'm sure Mr. Pressler will be happy that he'll have access to young conservative men
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1768703711969161463

Trazz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 15, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Oh boy.

Maybe Aaron Rodgers actually is RFK Jr's VP pick.

Just randomly clarifying that you never said Sandy Hook never happened and were just questioning the official story.

https://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12/status/1768318406560760224

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A bunch of sore loser swimmers are suing the NCAA because transwomen competing allegedly violates Title IX
I agree that transwomen are women, but don't they still have a clear biological advantage over non-trans women in sports?

Serious question, not trying to rile anybody up or diminish any accomplishments.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Crows Turn Off posted:

I agree that transwomen are women, but don't they still have a clear biological advantage over non-trans women in sports?

I believe you have stated one of the key elements of their argument. I think the answer is overall "no." More on the topic here: https://www.aclu.org/news/lgbtq-rights/four-myths-about-trans-athletes-debunked https://www.cces.ca/sites/default/files/content/docs/pdf/transgenderwomenathletesandelitesport-ascientificreview-e-final.pdf

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Crows Turn Off posted:

Serious question, not trying to rile anybody up or diminish any accomplishments.

There are requirements for transwomen to compete in women’s college sports including HRT. Studies have generally shown that after sufficient HRT the original advantage men have over women is gone. Her times dropped significantly before and after.

On the flip side, she was (prior to any HRT, prior to coming out as trans) a good but not great swimmer competing against men, and she won a national championship (but was not, like, record setting or dominant) competing against women. But then you’d expect her to get better even if she had not done HRT and kept competing against men, so maybe she’d have been a top swimmer as a senior anyway.

So overall, studies have shown that post HRT no there isn’t an advantage but I think you can see why someone might look at this one case and wonder.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My "I never denied Sandy Hook tweet" is bringing up a lot of questions already answered by my tweet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crows Turn Off posted:

The tl;dr summary seems to be:

- Not a lot of data, need more to be 100% sure.
- Transwomen undergoing testosterone suppression or who had a female puberty/puberty blockers have no real major advantage over cis women 99% of the time.
- The exception seems to be running and swimming at "the elite level" and there seems to be about a 4.8 second improvement. But, once again, going off of a very limited data set.
- There's no real basis for separating out trans athletes at the "non-elite" level if their hormone levels meet guidelines.
- There might be some small argument about it at the elite level where those few extra seconds can make a difference, but data is limited.

And all of those tl;dr points come from a limited set of data.

quote:

Biological data in this area are severely limited. In fact, an illuminating place to start is to note that, “to date, there have been no prospective studies investigating the changes in athletic performance in transgender athletes after hormonal transition” (Harper et al., 2021, p. 1), and many pertinent biological questions remained unexplored. The data that do exist often come with methodological concerns, and/or are limited in their ability to generalize to elite transgender athletes.

So, maybe, at the very top level for running and swimming. Not really any impact for most other situations if they have been undergoing HRT for at least 5 months and/or had puberty blockers/female puberty.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9331831/

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Magic Underwear posted:

I didn't see this get discussed and it seems significant, Biden backed up Schumer's anti-Bibi rhetoric:

I generally assumed at the time (and still do) that it was primarily Biden or his admin's idea and they just pushed Schumer to actually say it for the optics. The idea that he did it without Biden knowing seems pretty implausible

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's a tweet chain from a major California realtor explaining her side of the story on the new DOJ settlement with the National Association of Realtors.

Here primary argument is that this will drive a ton of realtors out of the profession, especially on the buying side where it takes a lot more work and you might never get a commission if they don't buy something, and force the remaining realtors to represent sellers because that is where the money will be now. This will cause buyers to be unrepresented from the shortage.

She says this is going to cost her a significant amount of money overall and incentivize her to seek out sellers rather than buyers for clients.

Still seems worth it for the industry, average person, and market overall in my opinion, but always good to read the argument from the perspective of someone who is losing out. It seems like the main "downside" is that it is going to cost a lot of people a lot of money and maybe their jobs, but their income and jobs only really existed because they were essentially mandatory middlemen with uneven knowledge. Sucks for those 1.6 million people (it is truly a fairly large industry), but worth it overall. I can sympathize with the complaint that you don't get and are essentially working for free until you make a sale and the buying side requires a lot more work without a guaranteed payout, though.

Also including a tweet with an article that summarizes the background for how this decision ended up shaking up the realtor business after 100 years of doing things the same way.

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1768758572165558335

https://twitter.com/JulieChangRE/status/1768674283637862870
https://twitter.com/JulieChangRE/status/1768684091648688436
https://twitter.com/JulieChangRE/status/1768692003930616279
https://twitter.com/JulieChangRE/status/1768743488068489294

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually