Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Missed the $30 In the Line of Duty box set on that 88 Films sale because I was waiting for payday and now nothing matters anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Vinegar Syndrom pre Halfway to Black Friday sale pre-order sale titles have been revealed

China O'Brien 1&2
Navy Seals
Home Grown Horrors 3 (Revenge, Hauntedween, Deadly Love)
Dangerous Game

And the teaser for the two secret preorders

quote:

Never fear as our duo of Secret Surprise Releases will surely satiate your appetite for some of the wildest genre cinema of the 70s and 80s. One offers a mouth watering classic from a regional auteur, which has been meticulously restored from its lost for decades camera original for Blu-ray, while the other is a masterpiece of big budget, non-stop thrill ride from a perfect storm of producer, director, and star who all but reinvented this uniquely 80s genre for 4K UHD and Blu-ray.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anchorman 2 is great, for me anyway, I could use more of those life story farcical comedy epics. Like from the tradition of The Jerk, and Walk Hard, what a genre.

I'll say, I love finding the beauty in trash etc, and I often enjoy movies more on rewatch, but I dunno about Navy Seals myself! But I will say tangentially related, Emilio has always been one of my fav actors, Repo Man is always a top fav. I also didn't like Men at Work which seemed like it would rule.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I wish I had all the money
We used to spend on dope.
I'd buy me an Anchorman 2 x15 lot
And I wouldn't sell any of 'em.
I'd just watch a different copy every day
Dependin' on how I feel.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Gripweed posted:

The Vinegar Syndrom pre Halfway to Black Friday sale pre-order sale titles have been revealed

China O'Brien 1&2
Navy Seals
Home Grown Horrors 3 (Revenge, Hauntedween, Deadly Love)
Dangerous Game

And the teaser for the two secret preorders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GXzknyVQ8I

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

My thoughts exactly! Bring on the awkward fake driving technique of Michael Biehn!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I grabbed China O’Brien and will inevitably get the Home Grown Horrors set too, although Hauntedween is the only one I’m familiar with on there.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34191

Australian label Imprint will be releasing The Prisoner in a deluxe set in June. Pretty big deal as it's been OOP in the US for years and the UK rights were with Network, which folded last year.

Imprint's edition seems to include everything on the past US/UK sets, plus the upgrade of lossless/uncompressed mono and 5.1 sound. Also will have isolated music/music and effects tracks, a bonus disc of Danger Man episodes in HD, and some new interviews.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

June Criterion:

Blue Velvet 4K
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 4K
Bound 4K (and Blu)
The Underground Railroad (Barry Jenkins)
Querelle (Fassbinder)
Victims of Sin (Emile Fernandez)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

welp, looks like im selling my blu-ray copy of Blue Velvet.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Finally made some organized sense out of my collection. I splurged and bought the Billy bookcase found here. Question for anyone with the Godzilla Criterion set - have you purchased separate blu-ray cases for the discs and if so, where can I find those?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Looks amazing. I think someone once posted an etsy page that sells cases for the godzilla set with insert made as well

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

These are the ones I got. They work great and don’t smear the discs with a thick tar-like glue like the Criterion book does

https://www.etsy.com/listing/108763...s=1&cns=1&sts=1

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Blue Velvet is an easy upgrade! And Bound being in the Collection was a dream release. gently caress yes. I have the Olive BD but I'm willing to see what Criterion has for me. Fantastic stuff.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Tesh posted:

Finally made some organized sense out of my collection. I splurged and bought the Billy bookcase found here. Question for anyone with the Godzilla Criterion set - have you purchased separate blu-ray cases for the discs and if so, where can I find those?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/customcccovers?ref=shop-header-name&listing_id=1288193640

This man sells them and they're absolutely awesome. Great print and case quality. I also have a custom from him for American Movie that I really love and am thinking of commissioning him again some time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gripweed posted:

These are the ones I got. They work great and don’t smear the discs with a thick tar-like glue like the Criterion book does

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364152857345
I purchased mine here.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Isn't the Underground Railroad a mini-series? Is that a new strategy for criterion ?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

checkplease posted:

Isn't the Underground Railroad a mini-series? Is that a new strategy for criterion ?

I was a little surprised to see it, but it doesn't feel very different overall than Dekalog, War and Peace, or other huge movie arcs along those lines.
I haven't seen Underground Railroad, or read the book, but I'm amenable to Criterion using their stature to lend credence to a good series in this way.

Maybe they'll do I, Claudius next - not that a BBC series recorded to tape can see much of a better transfer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

checkplease posted:

They did Fishing With John back in the day.

Speaking of which, where the gently caress I is the Fishing With John 4k, Criterion?!?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I grabbed navy seals without question. I don't order from vinsyn much (ever? Not sure) but will the mystery titles become available to purchase after they're revealed? Or do we have to buy in now?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kingtheninja posted:

I grabbed navy seals without question. I don't order from vinsyn much (ever? Not sure) but will the mystery titles become available to purchase after they're revealed? Or do we have to buy in now?

They will become available for general purchase at the end of may, but are available now at a lower price.

I rolled the dice on their previous mystery titles and one of them turned out to be eXistenZ so I absolutely went for these too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Any educated guesses on what they are?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tanner ‘88 was also a Criterion release miniseries.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, where the gently caress I is the Fishing With John 4k, Criterion?!?
I'm holding out for the Fishing with John/Painting with John combo pack.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Any educated guesses on what they are?

quote:

the other is a masterpiece of big budget, non-stop thrill ride from a perfect storm of producer, director, and star who all but reinvented this uniquely 80s genre for 4K UHD and Blu-ray.

A poster on the Blu-Ray forum made a good argument for that one being Invasion USA; action film that's a red-scare film makes it uniquely 80s, with the perfect storm that decade of star Chuck Norris, director Joseph Zito (also did The Prowler and Friday the 13th the Final Chapter that decade), and producer Menahem Golan (also did TCM2, Bloodsport and Lifeforce that decade). idk what the other one would be, way too much stuff unfortunately that could fit the bill for

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Gripweed posted:

I have these as well, A+ no complaints.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/customcccovers?ref=shop-header-name&listing_id=1288193640

This man sells them and they're absolutely awesome. Great print and case quality. I also have a custom from him for American Movie that I really love and am thinking of commissioning him again some time.

Ooooooh, this guy has one for the Trainspotting Criterion that came in the poo poo digipak.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chris James 2 posted:

A poster on the Blu-Ray forum made a good argument for that one being Invasion USA; action film that's a red-scare film makes it uniquely 80s, with the perfect storm that decade of star Chuck Norris, director Joseph Zito (also did The Prowler and Friday the 13th the Final Chapter that decade), and producer Menahem Golan (also did TCM2, Bloodsport and Lifeforce that decade). idk what the other one would be, way too much stuff unfortunately that could fit the bill for

Bummer. I watched Invasion USA last year and found it really dull aside from two or three scenes, plus Norris is just a charisma black hole.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Gripweed posted:

I grabbed this one, thanks!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

drat, wish he had a version for the Zatoichi set as well

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr E posted:

I didn't like what I saw of the True Lies 4k, how does the Aliens one look? Trying to decide whether to replace my quadrilogy blu ray or not. My Event Horizon 4k steelbook came in today so I'll be rewatching that this weekend, love the look of the case too.

Found on Reddit.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Found on Reddit.

Good lord

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

feedmyleg posted:

Found on Reddit.

absolutely incredible.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
That looks like a picture of a TV though. But the UHD is supposed to look very similar to the 4K stream (unsurprisingly), and that was pretty bad. There was an uptick in sharpness and detail, sure, but now the film looks like it was shot with digital cameras, and faces sometimes have a scary uncanny valley look.

Robert Harris seems to have been struck by dementia, because he's defending both this, True Lies, and The Abyss over on his forum.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Literally better off getting something out of print

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Oh, Ok.

I guess they're just not shiping these in quantity to fulfill orders? Did they pull them back? Maybe cuz of the AI stuff?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sniep posted:

Oh, Ok.

I guess they're just not shiping these in quantity to fulfill orders? Did they pull them back? Maybe cuz of the AI stuff?

Amazon was telling me it wasn't shipping until April 15, so I cancelled it and ordered from Walmart.com - which says it'll deliver by 3/20. Grabbed the 4K of Who Framed Roger Rabbit for $22 to get free shipping.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Try Target. They've been getting them in on a steady basis. Free shipping if you're a RedCard holder. Two out of three of have been delivered, Aliens shipped yesterday so I expect to see it tomorrow.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

As a Kiwi, I can only humbly apologise for what Park Road Post has done. I loving hate Peter Jackson too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Steen71 posted:

That looks like a picture of a TV though. But the UHD is supposed to look very similar to the 4K stream (unsurprisingly), and that was pretty bad. There was an uptick in sharpness and detail, sure, but now the film looks like it was shot with digital cameras, and faces sometimes have a scary uncanny valley look.

Robert Harris seems to have been struck by dementia, because he's defending both this, True Lies, and The Abyss over on his forum.

its the arm grappling the gun looking like the pieces of the ceiling that fell that's throwing me

and the smudginess of the over textures on those parts as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Blue Velvet 4k is priority number one during the next flash sale.