Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He doesn't actually finish every book in the library using his time keeping method in that version of the script, though. Just several dozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Gog-Agog presents the Groundhog Day Cinematic Universe, wherein 10,000 Bill Murrays are cursed to play out every possible variant of the groundhog day script as the wheel spins.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: nvm, very late to the party on Groundhog Day facts

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Grains of sand on a beach, pages in a library, mountains made of diamond. Gog Agog is one hell of a bird.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

mycomancy posted:

IIRC the writers of the script said Bill's character was in the loop for 10,000 years or something like that, but I could have that figure mixed up with another causal loop movie.

The 10,000 years is supposedly a buddhism reference.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I kinda like the notion of Eldritch Abomination Bill Murray. There was a quite good Groundhog Day-em-up in Palm Springs from 2020. It was released to streaming in the heart of that first pandemic summer, and it has multiple people getting stuck in the same repeating day.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I like the idea of someone spending so long in a time loop that their sense of self-preservation is completely eroded away by a million inescapable deaths. 10,000 year Bill Murray finally gets out of the Groundhog’s Day loop and then gets pasted by the bus he no longer considers to be anything more than an inconvenience.

Gog-Agog is going to die, for real, in the most pointless way possible, utterly confident that she will once again wake up when the wheel spins back, yet another time. It will not be funny.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

blastron posted:

I like the idea of someone spending so long in a time loop that their sense of self-preservation is completely eroded away by a million inescapable deaths. 10,000 year Bill Murray finally gets out of the Groundhog’s Day loop and then gets pasted by the bus he no longer considers to be anything more than an inconvenience.

Gog-Agog is going to die, for real, in the most pointless way possible, utterly confident that she will once again wake up when the wheel spins back, yet another time. It will not be funny.

It'll be a little funny.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The end of mean girls is funny

Thus will gog feel reality reassert itself.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

blastron posted:

If I've lived the same day/life a million times, I'd probably be equally happy to escape it through breaking the timeloop or dying by a non-funny bus. Just to end it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

blastron posted:

I reckon Gog would be all for a bathetic ending. She's had a billion years to set one up.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

blastron posted:

It's always funny when a clown dies

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Fister Roboto posted:

Something about the repetition of "this I know, oh this I know" is unsettling in a way I can't put a finger on.

This is King James Bible Jesus language, "Verily, verily I say unto thee"

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

blastron posted:

If you'll forgive a certain amount of video-game-ness, this video covers that. Over the course of several loops in Deathloop, he gets good enough to do a Perfect Stealth Assassination(tm) on his target, but he also stops caring about doing it perfectly, because if he dies, he'll just respawn and do it again.

He also argues that it would erode one's personal morality. What does it matter if, in the game 12 Minutes, you stab your character's wife, the policeman(?) who knocks on your door, or even your character himself? They're all just NPCs who will be made whole again at the start of the loop, and you the player might learn something useful for the next loop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrEayPIrVE

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

darthbob88 posted:

He also argues that it would erode one's personal morality. What does it matter if, in the game 12 Minutes, you stab your character's wife, the policeman(?) who knocks on your door, or even your character himself? They're all just NPCs who will be made whole again at the start of the loop, and you the player might learn something useful for the next loop.

Palm Springs actually answers that, with a character saying he doesn't want to hurt anyone because he'll remember what he did and it'd make him feel like poo poo even if the other person has no clue what happened when the loop resets. It's obviously different in a video game, where the characters are simply bits of code. Even so, I once closed the Stanley Parable to keep Stanley alive when the narrator pointed out that failing to do so would gruesomely and painfully kill him and there was no other way out. Take that, smug narrator.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GlyphGryph posted:

The 10,000 years is supposedly a buddhism reference.

10,000 years is said to be the length of 'The Dark Age of Dharma' when the Buddha has been gone so long that the truth behind his teachings will be forgotten and man will fight over whose memories are truest. Strife and discord will run rampant as people are born without the seed of enlightenment and will only end when the next Buddha awakens and brings the true teachings back to the people.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

As I understand it 10,000 years is also just shorthand for "a really, really long time" in a lot of asian languages, like saying "A million years" in english.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

darthbob88 posted:

If you'll forgive a certain amount of video-game-ness, this video covers that. Over the course of several loops in Deathloop, he gets good enough to do a Perfect Stealth Assassination(tm) on his target, but he also stops caring about doing it perfectly, because if he dies, he'll just respawn and do it again.

In Stars and Time was a very good game about time loops, for anyone who wants to play one, and it really touches on on this sort of stuff towards the end.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm not to worried about the dark age of Dharma if that's the case, these day's we'll have a Dril, Chuck Tingle, or DaShareZone reach enlightenment within a decade or so of it kicking off. Infinite monkeys theorem in practice, we're generating infinitie buddi at a slow but steadily increasing rate.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm not to worried about the dark age of Dharma if that's the case, these day's we'll have a Dril, Chuck Tingle, or DaShareZone reach enlightenment

we can't be sure this hasn't already happened

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Turns out DaShareZone has been is owned and operated by an rear end in a top hat who stole the account and several grand from its trans creator, so I wouldn't bet on that one reaching enlightenment.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Mmmmo kk

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dril may be enlightened, but Chuck Tingle is a bodhisattva who is driven by a great compassion towards all suffering Buckaroos

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Maduo posted:

As I understand it 10,000 years is also just shorthand for "a really, really long time" in a lot of asian languages, like saying "A million years" in english.

As usual in East Asia it's all China's fault. The Chinese equivalent to saying "Long live" X is to say (may it last for) "10,000 years". Famously used in Japanese as a cheer or war cry, "banzai".

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The Chinese counting system is organized around 10000s rather than 1000s, so Chinese and related language idioms just use 10,000 in a similar manner to Western idioms using 1,000 or 1,000,000.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Bah, all this power creep makes me sick. Back in my day, 40 was all you needed to denote an unfathomably large quantity.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Schwarzwald posted:

Turns out DaShareZone has been is owned and operated by an rear end in a top hat who stole the account and several grand from its trans creator, so I wouldn't bet on that one reaching enlightenment.

identity is transient

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

oobey posted:

Bah, all this power creep makes me sick. Back in my day, 40 was all you needed to denote an unfathomably large quantity.

oobey watching Goku power up: it's over...uh...forty...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Elissimpark posted:

oobey watching Goku power up: it's over...uh...forty...

insert balding saiyan joke

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

GlyphGryph posted:

In Stars and Time was a very good game about time loops, for anyone who wants to play one, and it really touches on on this sort of stuff towards the end.

Seconding this suggestion. The combat system isn't fantastic, but it's not really the point of the game, and I really, really enjoyed it overall.

Lights fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 12, 2024

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

oobey posted:

Well, that was an awful lot of cakes.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wyld Karde posted:

Well, that was an awful lot of cakes.

It was as many as four tens.

And it was terrible!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

oobey posted:

What do you mean, "40"? 24 is the highest number!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Schwarzwald posted:

Woah isthis real

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

the holy poopacy posted:

The Chinese counting system is organized around 10000s rather than 1000s, so Chinese and related language idioms just use 10,000 in a similar manner to Western idioms using 1,000 or 1,000,000.

Isn't this Indian also? lakh I think is a unit, or am I thinking of some other thing

E: 1 lakh = 100,000

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 13, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Woah isthis real

https://twitter.com/janem00n/status/1761073028916461936

pseudorandom posted:

Dude who was barely involved with most of the rise of dasharezone suddenly started to be weird and take more interest in participation when their Kickstarter succeeded. Proceeds to bully the person who basically was responsible for the account's popularity, take over control of said accounts, and literally steal a quarter of a million dollars, all while doing transphobia and queer erasure along the way.

This is a link to the person’s doc explaining it if you want to skip Twitter to read all of the details.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This is terrible that was a good account what the gently caress

The Google doc no longer exists

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

This is terrible that was a good account what the gently caress

The Google doc no longer exists

well drat

Twenty Four