Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also 'games journalists are weirdo morons' is a take that most normal people can agree with. you say 'IGN, eh?' and a room full of people laugh. the imagine party babiez vs god hand thing was already a meme. obviously the direction gamergate took it in was stupid but theres a base level of seeding that allowed it to spread among people who thought they were just making fun of random guys for having dumb opinions on video games while the weird doxx poo poo was buried underneath.

no normal person is going to understand when you talk about a secret shadow cabal putting ugly women in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

They’re turning the Mogs gay.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Besides the people who stuck around and then went to stream and podcast... are there even "game journalists" anymore? I have been assuming the 2024 equalent of that job is like a Proof Reader for batches of sloppy AI articles published under a psuedonym? Theres also people like that pervy clickbait lady, I guess.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Endorph posted:

also 'games journalists are weirdo morons' is a take that most normal people can agree with. you say 'IGN, eh?' and a room full of people laugh. the imagine party babiez vs god hand thing was already a meme. obviously the direction gamergate took it in was stupid but theres a base level of seeding that allowed it to spread among people who thought they were just making fun of random guys for having dumb opinions on video games while the weird doxx poo poo was buried underneath.

no normal person is going to understand when you talk about a secret shadow cabal putting ugly women in video games.

Yeah, game journalists loved gamergate because it let them pretend they were real journalists.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

the imagine party babiez vs god hand thing was already a meme
Yeah stuff like this, dorito pope, etc kinda had it ingrained even in not terribly online people that games journalism was an unserious business that mostly just existed to shill games for studios that bribed them enough with ads and early review access access which... wasn't and honestly to this day still isn't exactly inaccurate but then GG took this and spun it into a secret shadowy pact to push one person's mediocre indie game and uh...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, kotaku, ign, siliconera, et. all, all still exist. their traffic is a lot lower and they rely more on clickbait but its not like they went completely extinct.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Game Awards is extremely funny year over year not because of the constant gaffes that crop up (okay it's a little bit because of that) but rather because you can tell Geoff and friends are trying *really* hard to treat it as serious business and get video games the level of prestige that film/tv get with the Oscars/Emmys, but that's just not how the industry works or is perceived so they actually have to spend like 4/5ths of the air time on trailers and advertisements, to the point they're rushing award winners off the stage with "WRAP IT UP" on teleprompters after 30 seconds and quickly rattling off awards on the side before moving on to the next big world premiere or promotional giveaway campaign.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

choopercabra posted:

I don't know why I feel the need to post this, but gamergate only got big because it somehow got the attention of mainstream media and people just seemed to take twitter more seriously in the 2010s. There won't be a gamergate 2 because elontwitter sucks poo poo and the guys trying to start it seem like a bunch of annoying freaks.

I agree, this push just ain't got the juice. Which is good ofc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo the funniest recent kotaku drama is when they got blacklisted by nintendo for posting about 'fyi you can pirate tears of the kingdom before its out' and one of their editors responded with a picture of a ww2 plane with a 'japanese killed' tally

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Thank God we got rid of games journalism so that I can get all of my gaming news from CoffeeMonkey 64's youtube channel. Thanks to the developers of traumaforce for giving him a beta access version of the game, which he loves (and I can pre order through a discount in the description!) but will mysteriously never mention again after his 2 hour early gameplay video

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sydin posted:

The Game Awards is extremely funny year over year not because of the constant gaffes that crop up (okay it's a little bit because of that) but rather because you can tell Geoff and friends are trying *really* hard to treat it as serious business and get video games the level of prestige that film/tv get with the Oscars/Emmys, but that's just not how the industry works or is perceived so they actually have to spend like 4/5ths of the air time on trailers and advertisements, to the point they're rushing award winners off the stage with "WRAP IT UP" on teleprompters after 30 seconds and quickly rattling off awards on the side before moving on to the next big world premiere or promotional giveaway campaign.

They should watch a recent Oscars Ceremony. They are also a joke.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

wizard2 posted:

Besides the people who stuck around and then went to stream and podcast... are there even "game journalists" anymore? I have been assuming the 2024 equalent of that job is like a Proof Reader for batches of sloppy AI articles published under a psuedonym? Theres also people like that pervy clickbait lady, I guess.

I would box Pervy Clickbait lady in with people who proofread batches of sloppy AI articles because it’s all just generating clicks off outrage and SEO.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Impermanent posted:

Thank God we got rid of games journalism so that I can get all of my gaming news from CoffeeMonkey 64's youtube channel. Thanks to the developers of traumaforce for giving him a beta access version of the game, which he loves (and I can pre order through a discount in the description!) but will mysteriously never mention again after his 2 hour early gameplay video

After Giantbomb got bought out (again, again) and liquidated (again) this is what was always gonna be the only way forward. I trust in Nookrium when I used to trust the editors of PSM Magazine. They deserve the same level of trust (little).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Impermanent posted:

at least with youtube guys there's five billion of them rather than there being like six sites desperately trying to form a consensus opinion by brute force.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The best games journalism was Games 4 Windows Live podcast, with a lot of time devoted to: No higher up is going to listen to this so we can vent and say whatever we want.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

KirbyKhan posted:

I agree, this push just ain't got the juice. Which is good ofc.

It was pretty much doomed from the start when the people tried to brand it as Gamergate 2. While there's an argument you can make that the original Gamergate was "successful" for the online reactionaries in that it served as a testing ground for the tactics of later online far right movements, the original "movement" didn't end with any particular victories for the self-described Gamergaters and their side absolutely did not come out looking good to the general public. It really just shows how divorced from reality the people still carrying the torch for Gamergate actually are.

It's like building a really big cruise ship, naming it "Titanic 2" and assuming everyone is going to be impressed by your claims of how unsinkable it is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

They should watch a recent Oscars Ceremony. They are also a joke.

The Game Awards became a real awards show with their Crash moment of awarding Witcher 3 GOTY over Bloodborne. Also jesus christ Fallout 4 was nominated alongside them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also when they nominated tell me why, maybe the most transphobic thing ive ever seen, as a progressive game

tell me why is a game where they were so afraid of showing transphobia that the trans dude protag and his sister actually murdered their mom because they THOUGHT she was transphobic and trying to kill him for transphobia reasons... but she was actually just scared of them being taken away by their abusive biological father!!! so trans people and their allies are paranoid sociopaths who kill their own family over misunderstandings! #woke

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i don't know why that game doesn't just end after the motel section lol, like i was having a cool time and then utter dogshit

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

wait what game am i describing

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Witcher 3 is a way better winner than Crash (the movie not the Bandicoot), what the hell

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 15, 2024

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cumpantry posted:

Motel Mario

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gamergate 2 the Squeakquel

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mycot posted:

Witcher 3 is a way better winner than Crash (the movie not the Bandicoot), what the hell

It is but I was using it as an example of giving the big award to the less deserving nominee with Crash being an easy example. Too lazy to find a B movie winning over an A+.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
games journalism rules because they just openly post about their fetishes and call them "funny mods" lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cumpantry posted:

i don't know why that game doesn't just end after the motel section lol, like i was having a cool time and then utter dogshit

cumpantry posted:

max payne

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Don't Nod has been riding off the success of the first Life is Strange game for a long time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

games journalism rules because they just openly post about their fetishes and call them "funny mods" lol

The awful mods thread is going to get a pulitzer

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is but I was using it as an example of giving the big award to the less deserving nominee with Crash being an easy example. Too lazy to find a B movie winning over an A+.

I think it’s actually a pretty close comparison. The Witcher 3 is very good. I can see either winning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

the year big hero 6 won best animated feature over princess kaguya

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Anomaly Documentary did another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irOQ4gzY0g8 about a Jetpack.

Still recovering from the tonal whiplash of how casually the details are revealed one after the other, "..and at this point he had developed a crystal meth addiction..."

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Endorph posted:

imo the funniest recent kotaku drama is when they got blacklisted by nintendo for posting about 'fyi you can pirate tears of the kingdom before its out' and one of their editors responded with a picture of a ww2 plane with a 'japanese killed' tally

some "emulation only" guys are annoying but kotaku were unironically brave for posting that article

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

big dumpa poo poo 6

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The objectionable part was the super racist image post, not the emulation

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Impermanent posted:

The objectionable part was the super racist image post, not the emulation

say what you will... but they were brave

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Endorph posted:

also when they nominated tell me why, maybe the most transphobic thing ive ever seen, as a progressive game

tell me why is a game where they were so afraid of showing transphobia that the trans dude protag and his sister actually murdered their mom because they THOUGHT she was transphobic and trying to kill him for transphobia reasons... but she was actually just scared of them being taken away by their abusive biological father!!! so trans people and their allies are paranoid sociopaths who kill their own family over misunderstandings! #woke

What game is this? Somehow never heard of it.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
oh wait i didn't read the last part of that post wtf

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

euroshopper posted:

oh wait i didn't read the last part of that post wtf

i wish i hadnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Veotax posted:

What game is this? Somehow never heard of it.

the game is called 'Tell Me Why'