Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The St. Louis Cardinals are still heavily favored to win the division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

I genuinely don't see how unless every other team's young guys eat total poo poo. The Cardinals rotation is loving dogshit outside of Gray, the bullpen is okay...ish and they're relying on a a 32 year old and a 36 year old bouncing back to MVP form to carry the offense. Do they have any even remotely exciting young guys? I guess Walker and Winn?

Like I get it I've been watching this division for a long time to and I realize counting the Cardinals out at any point is an exercise in madness - they could run out a team of 60 year old paraplegics and they'd still probably take the season series off the Cubs - but even in a soft division I just don't see how they float to the top unless every other team just totally falls flat on its face.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

They were this time last year, too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

I genuinely don't see how unless every other team's young guys eat total poo poo. The Cardinals rotation is loving dogshit outside of Gray, the bullpen is okay...ish and they're relying on a a 32 year old and a 36 year old bouncing back to MVP form to carry the offense. Do they have any even remotely exciting young guys? I guess Walker and Winn?

Like I get it I've been watching this division for a long time to and I realize counting the Cardinals out at any point is an exercise in madness - they could run out a team of 60 year old paraplegics and they'd still probably take the season series off the Cubs - but even in a soft division I just don't see how they float to the top unless every other team just totally falls flat on its face.

tell that to PECOTA and Las Vegas

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
wyatt langford is cool and good and my friend and its absolutely wild that the rangers drafted him the same year they won the world series and he's going to win the mvp and rookie of the year this year

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

#thatscum

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

wyatt langford is cool and good and my friend and its absolutely wild that the rangers drafted him the same year they won the world series and he's going to win the mvp and rookie of the year this year

I'm trying to temper my expectations for him this year, but the kid is going to be a badass. Hoping the rotation can hold together long enough for reinforcements to start showing up in the summer.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Thumbnails you can hear.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Sydin posted:

I don’t get it either honestly. Before this extension I would have told you write marmol in pen as the first manager fired this season. I guess the optimistic viewpoint would be that Arenado and Goldschmidt had down years last year but Contreras was good and trending up by the end of the season, but the outfield is already in shambles and the youngest member of the rotation is 34. I do think the bullpen is better and ultimately I do think their record will be better than last season but worst to first just doesn’t seem realistic to me.

I would have traded Goldschmidt while I had the chance tbh. I’m glad they didn’t extend him yet, I’m sure that’s coming off the heels of this dumb bullshit tho

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Terry Francona appears to be morphing into Season 6 Junior Soprano.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I don’t get it either honestly. Before this extension I would have told you write marmol in pen as the first manager fired this season. I guess the optimistic viewpoint would be that Arenado and Goldschmidt had down years last year but Contreras was good and trending up by the end of the season, but the outfield is already in shambles and the youngest member of the rotation is 34. I do think the bullpen is better and ultimately I do think their record will be better than last season but worst to first just doesn’t seem realistic to me.

I would have traded Goldschmidt while I had the chance tbh. I’m glad they didn’t extend him yet, I’m sure that’s coming off the heels of this dumb bullshit tho

No, you see, they've addressed all your concerns this offseason and like how the team has looked in ST

quote:

“I’d like to touch on maybe the bigger question of why now,” Mozeliak said. “Bill (DeWitt Jr.) and I had been reflecting on this for some time. The way we approached our offseason was to address our roster. We knew there was going to be some major overhaul. We felt we had accomplished that. Then as we got into camp and seeing how things were working, we really felt like things were being run well and did not want to go into the year with this being a distraction for Oli, for the staff or for the players. Ultimately, we have a lot of faith in him, we believe he’s the right person for the job, and we’re excited to know he’ll be here for the next few years.”

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So...did everybody hate Tyler O'Neill or what the gently caress was up with that whole thing?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It definitely seems like it because nobody stuck up for him after that whole ordeal lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What was the Tyler O'Neill thing?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Marmol benched him for jogging into an out on the basepaths last April and called him out in the press. O'Neill fired back via the press. Cards fans got real excited for a few days. Everyone forgot about it by mid-May. O'Neill continued being bad and/or injured. The Cards dumped him to Boston after the season and re-signed Marmol.

I'm pretty sure if you look up "dudebro" in the dictionary there's a picture of Tyler O'Neill. You'd think he'd fit right into a major league clubhouse

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
They traded him away; he was constantly hurt; he is fast and can theoretically hit home runs; they never really committed to him; etc etc

He was unfairly maligned but he also isn't going to be a regular contributor to any team I don't think

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Astros are apparently in "serious" pursuit of Snell. Guess it got serious with JV and Urquidy injuries

https://x.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1768767776393507009?s=20

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 15, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean I guess Snell might take a 5 year contract at this point.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They're going to explode in the second half if they get Snell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If the Yankees had panic signed Snell as a response to injuries I assume astros posters would have thoughts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I have thoughts for sure, but also we aren't replacing our $300m ace, we're replacing the number 5 guy in the rotation. So Snell would be an upgrade.

e: fifth OR sixth

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Well, I have thoughts for sure, but also we aren't replacing our $300m ace, we're replacing the number 5 guy in the rotation. So Snell would be an upgrade.

e: fifth OR sixth

Are not 4 of the astros 5 starters on the LL including a guy who is 57 years old?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, but we got two guys who pitched in the post season through the ALCS who can and have stepped up. JV is just behind schedule, he's going to be out like a week of the season. But you're right, after the ASB if everyone is on track our rotation with snell would be unbelievably sick.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean I guess Snell might take a 5 year contract at this point.

The rumors were that he was willing to go shorter/very opt-out laden, but I wonder if the Yankees/Astros news are giving him more leverage back?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Even with Verlander, Snell makes sense for the Astros.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Snell makes sense for any team that's looking to compete because there's literally no team with five better starters than him, hell there's arguably not a team with 3+ better starters. Yeah he's got some warts but he unambiguously provides a huge boost to anybody who went out and got him.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mike_V posted:

They traded him away; he was constantly hurt; he is fast and can theoretically hit home runs; they never really committed to him; etc etc

He was unfairly maligned but he also isn't going to be a regular contributor to any team I don't think

I actually kinda like a rebound in Boston :colbert:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Snell makes sense for any team that's looking to compete because there's literally no team with five better starters than him, hell there's arguably not a team with 3+ better starters. Yeah he's got some warts but he unambiguously provides a huge boost to anybody who went out and got him.

Yes but there's a big dropoff for Houston after Framber and Verlander. Snell gives them a big three.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I'm more just saying that it's bullshit he's been iced out this long. Nobody competing really needs to make some fringe case for signing him, he's just a straight upgrade. idk maybe he and Boras were truly asking for something extraordinarily unreasonable but by this point he's probably going to struggle to be ready for opening day because of how much ST he's missed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He is the prototype of the Elbow Soreness Virgin

Sydin posted:

Yeah I'm more just saying that it's bullshit he's been iced out this long. Nobody competing really needs to make some fringe case for signing him, he's just a straight upgrade. idk maybe he and Boras were truly asking for something extraordinarily unreasonable but by this point he's probably going to struggle to be ready for opening day because of how much ST he's missed.

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1768772558764343706

gently caress that he's our opening day starter

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I kind of get why Snell's unsigned. He has two Cy Young Awards and probably wants to get paid accordingly, but he's not a real ace and coming off of only his second 30 start season. Why Montgomery hasn't signed seems less clear.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 16, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Yeah if the Astros are going after a starter I'd very much prefer Montgomery

Although Snells thing of giving five innings then leaving isn't as bad with the Astros pen

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

live with fruit posted:

I kind of get why Snell's unsigned. He has two Cy Young Awards and probably wants to get paid accordingly, but he's not a real ace and coming off of only his second 30 start season. Why Montgomery hasn't signed seems less clear.

I think the feeling on Montgomery is that he's been good recently but hasn't proven he'll stay good. He's gonna want the contract that takes him to retirement, and he's gonna want to be paid as a TOR starter, but I think teams are worried that he won't be anything like that in 5-6 years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if Snell finally figured his poo poo out mentally the dude is going to go out there and handle poo poo, even if he's not an innings eater he's one of the best in the game when he's on. as evidenced by the 2 Cy Young awards. as a fan of dudes who look like they're completely blasted I hope he's got his mental dialed in and signs with the Cubs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Blake Snell has two Cys but also averaged out to a JAG for the 4 years in-between. Plus he led the league in walks, only goes 5 IP a start and most importantly, is extremely unfun to actually watch

give me Monty

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
How's Diaz at blocking pitches in the dirt? Because he'd have to be fantastic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1768788271465914774

Well at least he didn't have to go far, although dang talk about being banished.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
could see the argument for going to the A’s in that situation to be a bet on yourself because if you produce any value whatsoever there’s a good chance you get flipped to a contender

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I definitely did not think this guy would get another job

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1768803639135486440?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol the Pirates are collecting some real winners this season. When's the Bauer contract announced?