Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Which is better Dune: Spice Wars or Old World?

Depends on how you feel about RTS games, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I couldn't get over the dumb cartoon graphics in Dune: Spice Wars. I wish it had more of a gritty realist aesthetic.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I couldn't get over the dumb cartoon graphics in Dune: Spice Wars. I wish it had more of a gritty realist aesthetic.

It's also part 4X. I watched Dune 2 and made me wish we'd get another, pure Dune RTS using the movie license and all of its designs. gently caress it, just give it to Blackbird and have them remake Deserts of Kharak but with sandworms.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

AngryBooch posted:

I already have Fallen Order so I think I'll be able to just gift the extra copy?

That hasn't been a thing in like, a decade. It's a flex bundle so you get the entire price of the first game lopped off while maintaining the discount.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to be positive about the Funcom Dune MMORPG, but Funcom has such an awful track record with their MMOs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I want to be positive about the Funcom Dune MMORPG, but Funcom has such an awful track record with their MMOs.

There's no real reason to be positive. They've been pretty vocal about the fact they don't really want to use any of the actual elements of Dune. Like "religion isn't a part of our Dune" levels of point missing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

There's no real reason to be positive. They've been pretty vocal about the fact they don't really want to use any of the actual elements of Dune. Like "religion isn't a part of our Dune" levels of point missing.

They ended up clarifying this and saying that you just can't be like Paul Atredies levels of powerful. You're just a normal preson, but that the religious stuff is still in there. Their original interview answer was very poorly worded. But still, Funcom MMOs are always filled with weird design decisions, technical issues, and are poorly balanced.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

A Dune survival game doesn't even sound interesting to me. Wouldn't it all just be sand that you have to slowly walk on lest you get eaten by a worm, dying of thirst constantly, Fremen sietches and... like one or two cities?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

They ended up clarifying this and saying that you just can't be like Paul Atredies levels of powerful. You're just a normal preson, but that the religious stuff is still in there. Their original interview answer was very poorly worded. But still, Funcom MMOs are always filled with weird design decisions, technical issues, and are poorly balanced.

I mean there's other stuff too which comes across as "We want the IP but don't want to think about how to use the IP."

Deakul posted:

A Dune survival game doesn't even sound interesting to me. Wouldn't it all just be sand that you have to slowly walk on lest you get eaten by a worm, dying of thirst constantly, Fremen sietches and... like one or two cities?

In theory, yes, in practice they removed all of that. Lasguns don't blow up shields, you don't need to walk without rhythm, etc.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I picked up the 8bitdo Ultimate Wired and it's preventing my monitor from turning off after inactivity. Anyone have any experience with this? Googling doesn't doesn't seem to give too many results other than people having this problem with controllers in general and being unable to fix it besides unplugging when not in use.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Deakul posted:

It's a mmo, you don't slow walk on sand, you bunny hop on sand.

It's also a survival game on the terrifying planet Arrakis where if you don't manage your water carefully, you... respawn.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, one of the many signs of the MMO'dib!*

It is written!
*Legends speak of yet another disappointing survival crafting mmo.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

bamhand posted:

I picked up the 8bitdo Ultimate Wired and it's preventing my monitor from turning off after inactivity. Anyone have any experience with this? Googling doesn't doesn't seem to give too many results other than people having this problem with controllers in general and being unable to fix it besides unplugging when not in use.

Yes that's me, all wired controllers in general prevent my monitor from going to sleep. The only solution I've found is to unplug them when not in use.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I figured that Funcom Dune game was just going to be a Conan Exiles reskin.

e: I watched the trailer once and remember thinking it didn't really look for feel like Dune at all, rather just a generic 'sci fi on a desert planet' type of game.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Which is better Dune: Spice Wars or Old World?

I personally liked Dune more, but it's a hybrid RTS/4X. Old World is a much more traditional 4x.

Dune is a pause-able real-time 4x which you do command units around like in other RTS games, but the RTS combat is heavily limited by things like pop-cap and upkeep. You start out being able to afford only 2-4 units and gradually work your way up from there. There's a lot of emphasis on building economy, research and espionage/politics. It also has a meta-4x layer, a bit like total war or risk where you do campaign map stuff, then fight battles to claim territories and then go back to the campaign map.

Old world is much closer to Civ, but I'm grossly oversimplifying here.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordja posted:

It's also part 4X. I watched Dune 2 and made me wish we'd get another, pure Dune RTS using the movie license and all of its designs. gently caress it, just give it to Blackbird and have them remake Deserts of Kharak but with sandworms.

It also must have FMV. Just gonna use this as an excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMgpNlhwGk

Game was really great. It was fun forging different alliances with the "lesser" factions. So you could have Freman fighting alongside Sardaukar.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I mean there's other stuff too which comes across as "We want the IP but don't want to think about how to use the IP."

Ooh yeah fair, the stuff about how their Dune is another timeline. Dune as an IP just doesnt lend itself well to a modern day video game in my opinion. There is really not a lot there. I think it would be best as an adventure title, but not an MMORPG.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Should I play jedi survivor before fallen order

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jedi Survivor is a direct sequel, so I feel that you kinda have to play Fallen Order first. If you play Fallen Order first as well, it'll make you appreciate the changes to gameplay, Jedi Survivor addresses every issue with Fallen Order, and is just a much better game to play.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Impermanent posted:

Should I play jedi survivor before fallen order

Do you watch Empire Strikes back before A New Hope?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oh whoops I got that the wrong way around. But ehat km getting is that the plot progresses pretty directly then? Is the gameplay better in the second or significantly improved by having played the first?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The plot of Survivor is a continuation of Fallen Order.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Do you watch Empire Strikes back before A New Hope?

in Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, you should play through Episodes IV and V first so you can unlock the strongest spaceship, the B-Wing Starfighter

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Survivor is a direct sequel and many characters have plot threads from the previous game. However, it mostly brings you up to speed in the introduction.

I'd say try Fallen Order first, but both games are very good. Survivor throws way more optional gameplay systems and extra content at you compared to the first one.

Impermanent posted:

Is the gameplay better in the second or significantly improved by having played the first?

Survivor has more lightsaber combat options and a little more variety when it comes to force power use but the combat is mostly the same, as far as I can remember. They're both Soulslikes in the sense that dying or resting at checkpoints respawns enemies, and you can recover lost experience by finding your "bloodstain" or killing an enemy that absorbed it. However, that's about it - there's no gear with stats, classes or anything complicated.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 15, 2024

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Wait wait wait, people care about a star wars plot in tyool 2024?????

Just swing the loghtsaber

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Wait wait wait, people care about a star wars plot in tyool 2024?????

Just swing the loghtsaber

Please be correct, George Lucas calls it a laser sword.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah Fallen Order is a lot more linear. You have the bogling planet that is somewhat open, but most planets you go to are linear, or have a few different paths that are still pretty much linear. Both games have a gameplay loop of going to a mission planet to unlock new abilities and then that unlocks new areas of the hub planet, but Fallen Order's hub planet is pretty small vs Survivor's. But Fallen Order isn't that long and it's a neat story I think. It kind of just ends and you will want more, and then you immediately have Survivor to play and it is a lot more open with lots of things you can do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has there ever been a piece of Star Wars media with an actual good plot, that wasn't just formulaicaly rehashing the Hero's Journey for the billionth time, other than KoToR 2?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ErrEff posted:

Survivor has more lightsaber combat options and a little more variety when it comes to force power use but the combat is mostly the same, as far as I can remember. They're both Soulslikes in the sense that dying or resting at checkpoints respawns enemies, and you can recover lost experience by finding your "bloodstain" or killing an enemy that absorbed it. However, that's about it - there's no gear with stats, classes or anything complicated.

My hot take is that Survivor, and Fallen, are both actually metroidvania's. You gain new abilities and powers as you progress through the story, and this lets you back track to previous areas and open up new pathways. Really I guess in a way the games are a mix of both.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Mordja posted:

gently caress it, just give it to Blackbird and have them remake Deserts of Kharak but with sandworms.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dune is a dumb setting for an MMO. How does that get greenlit?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm surprised so many goons dislike Kenshi. I love it. It's very much a set-your-own-goals and make-your-own-story kid of game (though the emergent storytelling is extremely good), but as long as you enjoy those kind of games I can't think of a better fit than Kenshi. I apparently have 280 hours in the game which is nuts because I haven't yet seen all the game has to offer based on what I know from discussions and articles online.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

a7m2 posted:

I'm surprised so many goons dislike Kenshi. I love it. It's very much a set-your-own-goals and make-your-own-story kid of game (though the emergent storytelling is extremely good), but as long as you enjoy those kind of games I can't think of a better fit than Kenshi. I apparently have 280 hours in the game which is nuts because I haven't yet seen all the game has to offer based on what I know from discussions and articles online.

Kenshi doesn't do a good job introducing new players to the world or its mechanics. It's rough, and honestly pretty drat ugly, which makes a poor first impression. There is a steep learning curve if you're trying to just jump in and play, even if you're going for one of the easy starts. I've seen people bounce off Dwarf Fortress for the exact same reasons.

But I totally agree that there isn't really anything like it and Kenshi makes for some extremely entertaining, tense, and rewarding storytelling. It can be hilarious and fun as hell, you just have to dedicate some time to it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tiny Timbs posted:

Dune is a dumb setting for an MMO. How does that get greenlit?

Brian Herbert Don't Care + "gently caress dad, get paid"

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Taborcarn posted:

Yes that's me, all wired controllers in general prevent my monitor from going to sleep. The only solution I've found is to unplug them when not in use.

If you want to spend a few dollars and would rather press a button than unplug, you can get USB switch with an on/off button.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

haldolium posted:

appears they forgot to include proper servers for a multiplayer game

who's in charge over there? jar jar binks?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How the hell did they only put up 3 64 player servers up with no ability for player run servers what the gently caress. UT99 right now at this moment has more active servers up.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jack Trades posted:

Has there ever been a piece of Star Wars media with an actual good plot, that wasn't just formulaicaly rehashing the Hero's Journey for the billionth time, other than KoToR 2?

j trades!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ZearothK posted:

How the hell did they only put up 3 64 player servers up with no ability for player run servers what the gently caress. UT99 right now at this moment has more active servers up.

It’s the same lovely porting company that did the recent Kotor poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It’s the same lovely porting company that did the recent Kotor poo poo.

Oh lol, it's the same company that sold KotOR2 over "we're including the cut content" and then took that back and tried to give other games in exchange.