Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Sydin posted:

The factorio devs are insane and every time I see a new FFF it just reinforces this. Absolute madlads.

quote:

Mapping the 4D state isn't so bad, I've developed some systems for Space Exploration to deal with a 12D system, so 4D is a nice break in comparison.

I concur!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KillHour posted:

I kept cliffs on in Py and 300 hours in, I still don't have the explosives production chain finished.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I feel cliffs are also going to be less of a hassle come the expansion because we will have elevated rails.

I'm really curious what the next two planets are going to reveal, mechanics wise.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

I believe it was removed so all you can do is turn the slider down.

I mean with Earendel working on the generation it's a miracle there's even still sliders for anything.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Alkydere posted:

I feel cliffs are also going to be less of a hassle come the expansion because we will have elevated rails.

I'm really curious what the next two planets are going to reveal, mechanics wise.

Have they mentioned if there’s a tech for elevated rails? I wonder if it’ll be locked a bit back, and cliff explosives aren’t available until you leave Nauvis.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
It's probably my prejudice against him for his add-on bullshit, but I was picking up something that seemed like poo poo stirring against the rest of the team at the start of the FFF but the rest of the post seemed to even out.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Duodecimal posted:

It's probably my prejudice against him for his add-on bullshit, but I was picking up something that seemed like poo poo stirring against the rest of the team at the start of the FFF but the rest of the post seemed to even out.

This bit?

quote:

but it seemed like this was an uncomfortable topic that no one really wanted to get into.

I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt here that it wasn’t really a big deal but yeah I could see it the other way too with how he’s responded on the forums before working at Wube.

He did improve things, from the sounds of it, but maybe it was a sensitive subject for a few folks who worked on it and left it where it was.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

necrotic posted:

Have they mentioned if there’s a tech for elevated rails? I wonder if it’ll be locked a bit back, and cliff explosives aren’t available until you leave Nauvis.

Separate Nauvis tech. Going by its importance for some planets, I'd guess it's maybe blue level?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

decided all this expansion stuff is so exciting can't wait. started space exploration game with default settings and recommended mods. got killed by a giant ray of sunshine while I was harvesting my downed ship.

not sure how to rate this experience

but I will try again

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Honestly it's pretty bad luck to be wrecked by the opening solar laser.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the opening CME and meteors are more to inform the player that "Hey these are new dangers", since you really have nothing to worry about getting destroyed yet, plus provide a little story beat for why you crashed.

Also, just respawn.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SettingSun posted:

Honestly it's pretty bad luck to be wrecked by the opening solar laser.

You would say that Mr Sun!!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I noticed a thing. FFF-401, first terrain image slider (not the dune asset).

Enhance!

Centrifuge, Foundry, ... Biological Algae Tank??, Electromagnetic Plant, ... Cryogenics Facility??

Teases for new planet content I suppose. Does the centrifuge correspond to Nauvis now?

Have they hidden other things in prior FFF? I do not have time to look.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 10, 2024

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yes they have hidden things, in some cases maybe even by accident. You probably have the order backwards on the two new buildings. The last one in that image is from the trio in the wallpaper they posted with a biter, which would imply those are the three major production buildings from the mid-step planets. I'd guess #3 is the final ice planet building.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

From the colours #3 is a more living green, #5 is a cooler pale blue. The shape of #3 suggests tanks and plumbing lines, #5 is more abstract but looks more consolidated, armored, insulated.

I'm drawing a lot from a few pixels, but I'm sure we're both looking forward to finding out.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is there still a mod that causes driving to snap to the cardinal directions? I'm really missing that one.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Count Roland posted:

Is there still a mod that causes driving to snap to the cardinal directions? I'm really missing that one.

VehicleSnap should still be working with the current version.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Today's FFF : wireless signal transmission and turbocrafting

The wireless signal network is really cool. The best thing here is probably being able to cut and paste bits of a circuit contraption without it breaking. Very useful for compacting things after design. The crafting thing, I mean it's not super impactful but it's kind of cool that they made it possible to get more than one craft per tick.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 15, 2024

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

K8.0 posted:

Today's FFF : wireless signal transmission and turbocrafting

The wireless signal network is really cool. The best thing here is probably being able to cut and paste bits of a circuit contraption without it breaking. Very useful for compacting things after design. The crafting thing, I mean it's not super impactful but it's kind of cool that they made it possible to get more than one craft per tick.

I can't stop watching the gif of the ridiculously fast foundry just blasting out stacks of gears

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A single building slamming out a nearly full belt of stacked gears...

The dream...

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Can't wait to get an entire 2700spm factory down into a 128x128 block.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Jesus Christ I'm going to need to upgrade my dedicated server AGAIN aren't I? I'm staring at that foundry and I can smell the current CPU catching fire.

Wireless signal transmission slaps.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Watch, Space Age will come out and your server CPU load for your current megabase will drop by 30% because of something they optimized.

That's 30% more factory you can build out!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Actually that change will improve UPS at the same level of production since you'll be using fewer machines even if each machine doing >1 craft per second is slightly more demanding. Of course, it will inevitably inspire you to build bigger, and then you will need to upgrade, but that's Factorio for you.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Wasn't there something about them replacing the gameplay pattern of surrounding a building with beacons?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Speed modules have a quality penalty, so anything where you are producing quality you won't want to use them and will thus have no reason to use beacons. For producing science, mass beacons will probably still be the end game ideal.

Also keep in mind that there are still two planets, their associated mechanics, and possible base changes that we may yet be unaware of. I don't think they intend to eliminate beaconing, but rather to make it not everything you build.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 15, 2024

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Duodecimal posted:

Wasn't there something about them replacing the gameplay pattern of surrounding a building with beacons?

Space Exploration has that and people were hoping that the devs would switch to that, but it's not looking good now

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SE's wide area beacons have spoiled me. It'll be interesting to return to the old style.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

The trick with the deeply unenjoyable beacon-based gameplay is to just not do it.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You just need to think linear design, like uncooked spagett

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Working with beaconed builds for the first time is quite fun actually. It can be difficult to squeeze in required belts and inserters, especially if the recipe needs 3 inputs. It gets boring quickly after you get familiar with it though, not to mention it looks ugly. I play with SE beacons mod now.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I set down as many beacons as continues to look aesthetically pleasing. As many as can possibly fit into a tileable space? No thanks!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I would always rather make Bigger setups than Beaconed setups, however Beaconed setups cost More per machine so that does make them Most Factorio.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Getting these assembler go brr setups is only going to happen once you've invested extremely substantial amounts of time, resources, and space into getting high quality components to begin with. But yeah with the quality penalty you probably don't want to do the same "prod mods with speed beacons" build for many things. I'm wondering if science will have quality that makes packs worth more or something. Then you have tradeoffs to consider.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Me setting up my 6000gears/tick production line: ha ha yesss

Me watching every atom of iron plate disappear into the maw of that production line: what the gently caress

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

JonBolds posted:

The trick with the deeply unenjoyable beacon-based gameplay is to just not do it.

Yeah the secret is that even less than optimal designs still work

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
hey the ultracube mod dev posts here, right?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/cubutt

I have questions.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Rosalie_A posted:

hey the ultracube mod dev posts here, right?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/cubutt

I have questions.

10/10. No notes. Perfection.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It is not made by the ultracube dev though, so not sure they can answer all your questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Well you know what they say, if you want something done you've got to wear it yourself.